The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Anyone else had seemingly weeks of continuous wet weather? It's getting depressing. Managed to get out earlier this week on a rare nice evening. Was nice to see the sun, had forgotten what it looked like!

Spring Sunset by G.A.D, on Flickr

Sunset by G.A.D, on Flickr

And one from walking the dog a short while ago. I'm going to keep an eye on this little scene asI think it could really pop with the right light.

Lone Tree by G.A.D, on Flickr

I'm in Ireland, it's a typical start to 'summer' here, we've had a LOT of rain, thunder storms, hail etc ... but getting some sunshine in between. Unfortunately it's always when I'm working the sun appears, which is fine as my job involves a lot of walking - but it'd be nice to have some in my spare time for motivation! Love the Dandelion shot, I tried a few in the garden before mowing the lawn other day - I'd spotted this lovely golden early evening light passing through them and had an image in mind, when I did get out the sun had f'd off of course and the shots I got were bland and lifeless - still might have a go in post with them though :)

Anyone else had seemingly weeks of continuous wet weather? It's getting depressing. Managed to get out earlier this week on a rare nice evening. Was nice to see the sun, had forgotten what it looked like!

Spring Sunset by G.A.D, on Flickr

Sunset by G.A.D, on Flickr

And one from walking the dog a short while ago. I'm going to keep an eye on this little scene asI think it could really pop with the right light.

Really liking the lone tree shot.

Very nice landscape style Fujigraph Graham, well composed with good colour and some beautiful light.

I guess I could leave my self open to ridicule but need to know what I was doing wrong ,if anyone can tell me. I have at the present a Canon 5D mark iv, love the camera but hate the weight to carry around, so considering about buying another X-T4. I have already had 2 but was not happy with the results. Every image I took with them was out of focus. Could not understand this considering they had IBIS and using a shutter speed no less than than 160. To alay my fears of further OF images any one tell me what I could have been doing wrong before I might take the plunge again.
At 87 I am def. finding my Canon kit getting to much to carry around.

Last edited:
I guess I could leave my self open to ridicule but need to know what I was doing wrong ,if anyone can tell me. I have at the present a Canon 5D mark iv, love the camera but hate the weight to carry around, so considering about buying another X-T4. I have already had 2 but was not happy with the results. Every image I took with them was out of focus. Could not understand this considering they had IBIS and using a shutter speed no less than than 160. To alay my fears of further OF images any one tell me what I could have been doing wrong before I might take the plunge again.

What lenses were you using on the T4? Also were you shooting still or moving subjects. Many people use the T4 without this issue, so it's got to be something you are doing. Maybe you were expecting the IBIS to be more effective and were using a tele lens? at 1/160 you can still experience camera shake - if you already have shakey hands

Hey !
I turned 1 year old in macro photography, loving it so much :)
I've been owning a X-T100 to try photography at first, and decided to upgrade with an X-T4. The only thing I regret is the X-T100 screen hinge (I hate flippy screen :rolleyes:).

This is my first macro photography ever !
I used extension tubes with the "Fuji XF 50mm F2.0" and the "X-T100" that was fun but not verry practical.

1rst macro <-----(link)

I decided to buy the "Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x ultra macro apo" and... holly molly this lens is sharp ! The bokeh is incredible and it is my first macro lens ever !
I also bought a Godox V860 II flash and built myself a cool light difuser out of pringles cardboard cans (I still run it today):
IMG_20210522_215634.jpgIMG_20210522_215614.jpg

And this is what I how I take photos now:

Picture 1
DSCF8930.jpg

Picture 2
DSCF8926.jpg

These were taken this morning :)
I'm still trying to figure out composition and all. But the most important is that I'm having fun exploring and capturing those moments.

Something I'd like to talk about is the photographers that does hurt the wildlife to capture the perfect image. They catch insects, move them or even bring them home in their mini studio. They spray water on them, they even bring use scisors to cut of the elements that bothers.
We have to respect these small animals and not disturb them.

I'm sure that if someone does shoot street photgraphy, you wouldn't like to get sprayed with water, moved and trimmed just because the dude holding the camera think it's better... So just be gentle and respectful <3

Thanks !

Hey !
I turned 1 year old in macro photography, loving it so much :)
I've been owning a X-T100 to try photography at first, and decided to upgrade with an X-T4. The only thing I regret is the X-T100 screen hinge (I hate flippy screen :rolleyes:).

This is my first macro photography ever !
I used extension tubes with the "Fuji XF 50mm F2.0" and the "X-T100" that was fun but not verry practical.

1rst macro <-----(link)

I decided to buy the "Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x ultra macro apo" and... holly molly this lens is sharp ! The bokeh is incredible and it is my first macro lens ever !
I also bought a Godox V860 II flash and built myself a cool light difuser out of pringles cardboard cans (I still run it today):
View attachment 319234View attachment 319235

And this is what I how I take photos now:

Picture 1
View attachment 319237

Picture 2
View attachment 319238

These were taken this morning :)
I'm still trying to figure out composition and all. But the most important is that I'm having fun exploring and capturing those moments.

Something I'd like to talk about is the photographers that does hurt the wildlife to capture the perfect image. They catch insects, move them or even bring them home in their mini studio. They spray water on them, they even bring use scisors to cut of the elements that bothers.
We have to respect these small animals and not disturb them.

I'm sure that if someone does shoot street photgraphy, you wouldn't like to get sprayed with water, moved and trimmed just because the dude holding the camera think it's better... So just be gentle and respectful <3

Thanks !

Nice, the Laowa lenses are very good, I had the 100mm 2.8 macro, more or less the full frame version of the 65mm you have, I used a Nikon to Fuji adapter for it. Problem was it was very big and heavy for a macro, prefer something smaller/neater for that purpose as when you're trying to hold manual focus in that close it's tricky enough without extra weight. That 65mm is a lens I've been eying for a while. Nice job, love the second in particular, it's similar to my own style of macro - I like to show a bit of environment and 'pose' the insects [if that is what I'm shooting at the time]

This was shot with the Laowa 100mm on my X-H1, just as an example

Weevil by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice, the Laowa lenses are very good, I had the 100mm 2.8 macro, more or less the full frame version of the 65mm you have, I used a Nikon to Fuji adapter for it. Problem was it was very big and heavy for a macro, prefer something smaller/neater for that purpose as when you're trying to hold manual focus in that close it's tricky enough without extra weight. That 65mm is a lens I've been eying for a while. Nice job, love the second in particular, it's similar to my own style of macro - I like to show a bit of environment and 'pose' the insects [if that is what I'm shooting at the time]

This was shot with the Laowa 100mm on my X-H1, just as an example

Weevil by K G, on Flickr

Ahah yeah my macro rig is quite on the heavy part, I bought this huge flash before thinking of doing macro, but it has a super fast recycling time even at full power.
And I now have the battery grip to be more comfy with portrait handling, but I find that the weight is not a big problem the WIND IS !
o_O

Can anyone help ?
I shoot my X100 with the WCL about 85% of the time. My question is, will the X100v give me better quality pictures when used with WCL or does the use of WCL even things up.

Can anyone help ?
I shoot my X100 with the WCL about 85% of the time. My question is, will the X100v give me better quality pictures when used with WCL or does the use of WCL even things up.

Trevor, I find that the WCL, or the TCL, on the X100V has absolutely no effect on image quality.

As to whether my pictures themselves are better quality......nah, still crap but much wider or much closer.:p

Last edited:
This is beginning to get very embarrassing.

Today I have yet another of my snaps in "Explore". It's a snap of the "Houses Of Parliament" that I shot from the South Bank a couple of years ago that I never even considered using. Having said that now that I've done a bit of PP work on it I don't think it looks too bad. :) :)

I too used to have the 5D iv and wanted something lighter. I take my X-T3 out so much more now because it's so much lighter and I find it a lot more fun to use. I have had some success with action shots, but I can't say all are great - but then I had about the same ratio of good shots with 5D (so it is definitely my bugbear) - and my dog is getting older so slowing down a bit more ;) . I always use the autofocus on the XT3 as I trust it more than my eyesight, and I can't fault it.
I never use the sports mode, and have taken it off the quick sets as was so annoying. I normally use single point focus but am trying more with the zone now, and normally set as biggest aperture as possible to achieve the faster shutter speed.

Here's 2 examples
White Park Cattle calves by Donna White, on Flickr
Rescue dogs by Donna White, on Flickr

A few from a quick walk around Laceby and Aylesby yesterday. X-E1 and 10-24, love the images these produce as a combination.

Walk around Laceby by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

Rick, those set of images look so real, as if you could actually step into the location - wow. Excellent photography Sir.

Both the XE1/X-P1 are now my main shooters......Fabulous.

Regards;
Peter

Rick, those set of images look so real, as if you could actually step into the location - wow. Excellent photography Sir.

Both the XE1/X-P1 are now my main shooters......Fabulous.

Regards;
Peter
Thanks Peter,

As you know, I bought both of them based on the images you have posted. I really love the way they look. These are all processed in the same way as the treehouse porch shot, which seems to have worked with the weather being as it was,

Thanks Peter,

As you know, I bought both of them based on the images you have posted. I really love the way they look. These are all processed in the same way as the treehouse porch shot, which seems to have worked with the weather being as it was,

Strangely enough my very first venture into CSC photography was with an X-E1 plus 18-55mm lens and later a 55-200mm lens which I've still got. Although the speed of the camera ie auto focussing etc did leave a little to be desired by more recent incarnations of Fuji units, there was and still is a certain nicety about the files that those early Fuji CSC cameras produced that the later cameras just haven't got. For the life of me I don't know what it is but they are definitely different and very pleasing to the eye.

Last edited:
What lenses were you using on the T4? Also were you shooting still or moving subjects. Many people use the T4 without this issue, so it's got to be something you are doing. Maybe you were expecting the IBIS to be more effective and were using a tele lens? at 1/160 you can still experience camera shake - if you already have shakey hands
No I was not using a telephoto lens, just the 16-80mm lens. most of the shots were landscape. I usually clamp my arms to my sides to take the shots, must admit if I held my arms away from me then I would get the shakes. I would be happy to get some shots like @weebleswobble.Also I mostly use autofocus, but now and again back button focus and using single point focus.

No I was not using a telephoto lens, just the 16-80mm lens. most of the shots were landscape. I usually clamp my arms to my sides to take the shots, must admit if I held my arms away from me then I would get the shakes. I would be happy to get some shots like @weebleswobble.Also I mostly use autofocus, but now and again back button focus and using single point focus.
I use the 16-80 a lot and also enjoy landscapes - mainly at lowest ISO and F11 - but with these settings, I use a tripod (it detects if using a tripod so the IBIS doesn't kick in). Great lens for landscapes :). Did you sell the other 2 cameras on, or would it be worth hiring another Fuji to see if it is suitable for you?

I use the 16-80 a lot and also enjoy landscapes - mainly at lowest ISO and F11 - but with these settings, I use a tripod (it detects if using a tripod so the IBIS doesn't kick in). Great lens for landscapes :). Did you sell the other 2 cameras on, or would it be worth hiring another Fuji to see if it is suitable for you?
Yes I sold the other X-T4's as I was getting so frustrated with them. I took 2 images at Whitby station which I don't suppose I will see again. I found the images looked okay in the camera but when I put them through LR at home in the iMac they were def.OF.

Sorry, can't help you in that case. If you'd had a dud T4 might explain it but highly unlikely you had 2 iffy units. Hopefully you have better luck if you do decide to try again

Out for a wet three mile walk this afternoon with the collie's, this is only the third time Alfie has been off the lead as he's only fourteen weeks old.

Alfie by APM Photography, on Flickr

mac
Very cute. Just had our pup out for the first time on a lead. He loved it.

Ok, I'm loving the XF55-200mm lens, would there be any benefits in owning the cheaper and slightly longer XC50-230mm for that extra 30mm lens length I'm wondering..?

A new 50-230 is around £189 new which seems great money. Anyone own this lens and what's your thoughts on it please..?

Cheers;
mac

Ok, I'm loving the XF55-200mm lens, would there be any benefits in owning the cheaper and slightly longer XC50-230mm for that extra 30mm lens length I'm wondering..?

A new 50-230 is around £189 new which seems great money. Anyone own this lens and what's your thoughts on it please..?

Cheers;
mac

I've had both, optically the 50-230 is good and it is very light so easy to carry, the build quality doesn't feel as good as the 55-200, and its a wider aperture than the plastic lens. For 30mm I wouldn't bother, if you love the 55-200 stick with it, you won't love the 50-230 as much.

I found the bokeh a bit busy on the 55-200, so went shorter and have the 50-140 which is a fantastic lens.

Last edited:
Or; could maybe go the other direction for the fixed prime of the Viltrox 85mm f1.8 MkII for it's shallow DOF....?
I have the 50-140 and a 1.4x TC. I also have the 90 f2. If I had to pick one it’d be the longer lens. The 90 is brilliant when I can use it, but it’s an odd focal length for my shooting. It was the same when I shot Canon. I loved the 135 f2 in the sane way, but didn’t get lots of use.

The 90mm is a fantastic lens that demands to be shot wide open all the time, but it’s certainly not as flexible as the 50-140 which ultimately wins out despite the loss of aperture - if you are building a system of primes the 90mm has to be in the bag (I would put it in there before the 56mm), but for a zoom set of lenses it’s very hard to beat the 50-140

Back