The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Thanks I will do just that :) I'm not bothered about autofocus but would like a way of setting the aperture when out and about...

Well, as long as you don't need the camera to do it and adjust it automatically, then just pick up lenses with an aperture ring and you can pre-set it as you like.

Well, as long as you don't need the camera to do it and adjust it automatically, then just pick up lenses with an aperture ring and you can pre-set it as you like.

Agreed... but which one... would like something about 100mm, with 1:1 macro, with aperture ring, which I can mount on an adapter to the Fuji - any suggestions please?

ps - your blog is fab, just looking though it now :)

Keep this up guys!
I'm interested. Been looking on evilbay. Will any M42 lens be suitable? Just get an adaptor for Fuji and so long as the lens has an aperture ring that will be fine????

Sen a Solidor lens. Never heard of them. Any good, or just rubbish?

Nice work George! How do you set aperture? or just leave it wide open ?

Mike the aperture is set exactly the same as any other manual aperture lens ie by a ring around the lens barrel. As it's a large format lens the shutter that is within the lens needs to be left open in the viewing/focusing mode and then use the shutter in the X-T1. It's easier to focus with the lens wide open and then if it's a static subject close the aperture down to whatever you want to work at and just let the camera take care of the exposure in aperture priority mode. If the subject is moving around etc then I need to focus at whatever aperture I'm going to use. Any flash work then I work fully manual of coarse.(y)

George.

I forgot you're also using an X-T1!! Who else in the macro forum uses one?

None that I know of Dunc, I find a CSC camera is better for macro work than a DSLR.(y)

George.

Mike the aperture is set exactly the same as any other manual aperture lens ie by a ring around the lens barrel. As it's a large format lens the shutter that is within the lens needs to be left open in the viewing/focusing mode and then use the shutter in the X-T1. It's easier to focus with the lens wide open and then if it's a static subject close the aperture down to whatever you want to work at and just let the camera take care of the exposure in aperture priority mode. If the subject is moving around etc then I need to focus at whatever aperture I'm going to use. Any flash work then I work fully manual of coarse.(y)

George.
Thanks George - I hadn't realised that lens had the aperture ring. How do you find it? Sharp? What sort of adapter are you using ?

Thanks again :)

Agreed... but which one... would like something about 100mm, with 1:1 macro, with aperture ring, which I can mount on an adapter to the Fuji - any suggestions please?

ps - your blog is fab, just looking though it now :)

Mike I also use a 105mm Micro Nikkor (D) lens via an adapter on my X-T1, all the Nikon (D) lenses have manual aperture rings. Also the 100mm Tokina macro lens in Nikon fit has a manual aperture ring but not in other fittings for some reason.(y)

George.

Thanks George - I hadn't realised that lens had the aperture ring. How do you find it? Sharp? What sort of adapter are you using ?

Thanks again :)

Mike the lens is designed to work with large format technical cameras so quite naturally it is of superlative quality. All of the adapters for it ie focusing tubes, lens mount etc I designed and made myself. The adapter that I use for my Nikon lenses is just a normal Fuji to Nikon F cheapy from fleabay.(y)

George.

Thanks a lot George! Plenty of options to ponder it seems... Will report back in due course :)
I am no macro photographer, but if you want a budget option, the old Tamron adaptall-2 90mm macro has a good reputation, and you can get adaptall-FX adapters cheaply enough. Should be able to pick one up for less than 100 quid.

Mike I also use a 105mm Micro Nikkor (D) lens via an adapter on my X-T1, all the Nikon (D) lenses have manual aperture rings. Also the 100mm Tokina macro lens in Nikon fit has a manual aperture ring but not in other fittings for some reason.(y)

George.

@dibbly cobbler This would probably be my recommendation based upon you wanting 1:1 and 100mm. Make sure you don't get the G version as it has no aperture ring. You'll need the "AF-D" version. I've used this lens many times and it's sharp and nicely built and easy to operate.

Actually according to this: http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/ the Fuji 60mm would give me 0.93:1 with the Raynox 150 and 1.22:1 with the Raynox 250 so that would probably do me as I have both of these already :)

Any thoughts chaps ?

You certainly could go that way. It would probably be the easiest in that the Fuji fully communicates with your camera in all modes and you won't need adapters. That said, from images I've seen and reviews I've read, I might be tempted to do as above but with the Zeiss Touit F2.8 50mm, instead.

Having bad GAS so my Fuji x100s is up for sale and on its way is a nice shiny XT10 as a second body. At £319 it couldn't be ignored!!

Right - just in case anybody is still awake/interested ;)

With Fuji native lenses and a Raynox 250 here's what you can get according to this site: http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/

60mm + Raynox 250 gives 1.2x mag at around 8-12cm
90mm + Raynox 250 gives 1.06x mag at around 10-12cm
18-135mm + Raynox 250 gives 1.6x mag at around 10-12cm (assuming zoomed out to 135mm)

Interesting as the results are fairly similar for the 60 and the 90 - the 18-135 has more mag due mainly to to longer focal length.

I already have the 18-135 so maybe the answer is to try it for starters and see how I go :)

Thanks again all who commented!

i have them both and they are awesome lenses.

I owned the 23 when I previously had Fuji gear, it's my favourite lens but for some reason I hadn't got round to buying one again. I've been enjoying the 56 too much!

I owned the 23 when I previously had Fuji gear, it's my favourite lens but for some reason I hadn't got round to buying one again. I've been enjoying the 56 too much!

ive got the 56mm too lol. the bokeh from the 90mm is a lot nicer i think. also the AF is super slick.

I like that Stuart, great idea, well put together, and nicely lit.(y)

George.

Thanks George. It took me ages to build the hama bead danbo and it didnt help that the laddie wanted to put his own colours into my design :D

Just a simple macro shot of a Needle & Cotton shot at 1-1 but cropped a little bit to improve the composition.

X-T1, 105mm Micro Nikkor (D) Lens, 1/180th @ F11, ISO-200, Flash.
Needle And Cotton (1)-02806 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y)

George.

Just a simple macro shot of a Needle & Cotton shot at 1-1 but cropped a little bit to improve the composition.

X-T1, 105mm Micro Nikkor (D) Lens, 1/180th @ F11, ISO-200, Flash.
Needle And Cotton (1)-02806 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y)

George.

Really like that, George!

After a while out of the Fuji game, my X-T10 arrived this morning. Only had a chance to have a quick play but it really is small; I have the kit 16-50mm MkII lens and it feels very front heavy!

What are the opinions on this lens? I've never been a fan of zooms and was half tempted to go body only and pick up a prime but decided to try it in the end.

Also, on the X100 I'm pretty sure there was a quiet mode where flash was disabled, all noises were disabled, etc. I can't seem to find a way to do that, in fact the flash is locked at auto and I'm also getting the AF illuminator. Am I just being stupid?

Edit - Oops, my mistake. I was misreading the "Sound and flash off" setting as "Sound and flash" and set to off!

Last edited:
After a while out of the Fuji game, my X-T10 arrived this morning. Only had a chance to have a quick play but it really is small; I have the kit 16-50mm MkII lens and it feels very front heavy!

What are the opinions on this lens? I've never been a fan of zooms and was half tempted to go body only and pick up a prime but decided to try it in the end.

Also, on the X100 I'm pretty sure there was a quiet mode where flash was disabled, all noises were disabled, etc. I can't seem to find a way to do that, in fact the flash is locked at auto and I'm also getting the AF illuminator. Am I just being stupid?

Edit - Oops, my mistake. I was misreading the "Sound and flash off" setting as "Sound and flash" and set to off!
Yeah the double negative threw me on that one too....

In general I think the fuji zooms are good\great, especially the xf's. The 16-50 is regarded as good.

One thing about the primes - although faster, they lack the legendary OIS.

A day out yetserday with @Mr Perceptive had nothing but dull flat light. Hard to make anything worthwhile for public consumption. Here's a starter.
9 minute exposure!

Gibson Mill
by mickledore on Talk Photography

Well thats set the bar, will have to have a go a my images later. 15 stops of Hoya definitely has introduced a blue colour cast into your colour image.

Don't think it's the Hoya. I ran this through Topaz adjust to try and bring some life into the image. The blue cast came from there.

Overall I'm a little bit underwhelmed with my results from yesterday. They are alright, but nothing jumps out at me with the WOW factor. Flat light is my excuse.

Need this rain to stop to get out with my new X-A2 (still posting on here as the XA1/XM1 forum is dead!)

Back