The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

. It's only on fine/repetitive patterns - e.g. Hair, foliage, eyelashes etc.

They sound like things that could cause moire, always possible with sensors that lack a low pass filter such as the x-trans.

Printed a few photos recently at 8x12, look fine to me and no inclination to go searching for problems imaginary or otherwise.

Just to add a few extra pages, are you using filters on your lenses, they can bugger things up a bit too :D

Last edited:
No filters on mine. I feel I should clarify - I dont really see it as a problem, just a characteristic. I was just pointing out that it wasnt an imagined effect.
It has never ~ruined~ a photo for me.
I use the same sharpening technique as I always did and get results I love from my x-t10. Sometimes the scene calls for the "100% detail" technique, which is fine too.

They sound like things that could cause moire, always possible with sensors that lack a low pass filter such as the x-trans.

Printed a few photos recently at 8x12, look fine to me and no inclination to go searching for problems imaginary or otherwise.

Just to add a few extra pages, are you using filters on your lenses, they can bugger things up a bit too :D
No filters. Just for the record I didn't search for the issue, I saw it and then investigated why I was getting it and if I could get rid/minimise it :p

Is there a way to find sharpness and NR settings in the EXIF? I know I can see them on camera but is there a way to see them on the computer as well?

Evening all... Accidently ended up shooting at F22 this evening to get some longer shutter times at the lake...

= DUST SPOTS!

Any recommendations for cleaning kits for the XT1 that have had positive results?

A pre-warning to all on this thread, my X-T1 arrives tomorrow (Tues), I apologise for my XT1 photo content/images in advance.....sorry. Lol

"Heaven Forbid" !!! :D seriously though Pete that sounds like a result. (y)

George.

I'm considering an X-T2, I haven't committed to a system yet and I've been giving it a lot of consideration, currently I have a basic Canon 1300D with a couple of lenses and I'm still learning but totally committed to my photography. I will use it for all sorts of pictures, mostly people but the reason I'm drawn to the Fuji is I can put a small prime lens on and just take it when I go out with the family. I also think it's. A little more discrete for street photography.

My specific need though and reason for posting is portraiture. I am starting a project where I will be offering totally free portrait sessions to families with disabled children and giving them a few large pictures. I have disabled children myself and knowmhowmhard it is to be pictures, life is challenging sometimes and families with special needs kids wouldn't have a portrait session anywhere near their list of life's priorities. For some families that becomes a massive regret if something tragic happens (as it sadly does for too many) and they don't have any nice pictures to remember their littlun by.

The lenses are not cheap, so I can't get 10! I have spent weeks reading opinions and can't decide what I would get. What do people here recommend? I want 2 or 3 primes and a zoom, the zoom will be important if I have a lively one who won't sit still, I'll be trying to capture them as they shoot by - I think the X-T2 can handle those situations, I've seen the images from motorsport events! :D

I think the 90mm looks good as a portrait lens - does anyone here use it? I was considering the 56mm, and maybe the 35mm as an every day lens, but I'm not sure if I'd regret not going wider. For zooms I was thinking 18-135mm but again I'm really not sure.

Im still not 100% sure this is the route I'm going to go, the other option is I stick with Canon, or I could go in a totally different direction but that's less and less likely now. I've considered many options, Olympus, Sony and even the Pentax K1, but the Fuji just makes a lot of sense and I've not read anything at all that says "don't do it" whereas I have for all the others. Add into the mix that so many people are switching to Fuji and there must be something in it!

I'm considering an X-T2, I haven't committed to a system yet and I've been giving it a lot of consideration, currently I have a basic Canon 1300D with a couple of lenses and I'm still learning but totally committed to my photography. I will use it for all sorts of pictures, mostly people but the reason I'm drawn to the Fuji is I can put a small prime lens on and just take it when I go out with the family. I also think it's. A little more discrete for street photography.

My specific need though and reason for posting is portraiture. I am starting a project where I will be offering totally free portrait sessions to families with disabled children and giving them a few large pictures. I have disabled children myself and knowmhowmhard it is to be pictures, life is challenging sometimes and families with special needs kids wouldn't have a portrait session anywhere near their list of life's priorities. For some families that becomes a massive regret if something tragic happens (as it sadly does for too many) and they don't have any nice pictures to remember their littlun by.

The lenses are not cheap, so I can't get 10! I have spent weeks reading opinions and can't decide what I would get. What do people here recommend? I want 2 or 3 primes and a zoom, the zoom will be important if I have a lively one who won't sit still, I'll be trying to capture them as they shoot by - I think the X-T2 can handle those situations, I've seen the images from motorsport events! :D

I think the 90mm looks good as a portrait lens - does anyone here use it? I was considering the 56mm, and maybe the 35mm as an every day lens, but I'm not sure if I'd regret not going wider. For zooms I was thinking 18-135mm but again I'm really not sure.

Im still not 100% sure this is the route I'm going to go, the other option is I stick with Canon, or I could go in a totally different direction but that's less and less likely now. I've considered many options, Olympus, Sony and even the Pentax K1, but the Fuji just makes a lot of sense and I've not read anything at all that says "don't do it" whereas I have for all the others. Add into the mix that so many people are switching to Fuji and there must be something in it!

Firstly, what a lovely idea for a business and I hope it goes well. Will you be shooting indoors or out? If in, then 90mm will probably be too long. The 56 will likely be better suited, but bear in mind that it's not the world's fastest focusing lens (it's pretty nifty but might struggle with fast moving subjects).

For fast movers - the 16-55/2.8 is very quick and will capture most scenes. The 18-55/2.8-4 is also fast and much lighter - you'll get less bokeh at the 55mm end though as it's f/4 at that point.

Personally I'd start with a used 56/1.2 and 18-55/2.8-4, and if you can stretch to it, 55-200/3.5-4.8. You won't lose much if you buy used but decide the focal lengths aren't right for you. Maybe even just start with the zooms to work that bit out :)

I quite like that shot David, well composed, fine detail, nice sky, and a good full range of mono tones.(y)

"Is this shot a mono conversion ie in pp, or Acros sooc" ?

George.

If I can get ACROS settings to look like that SOOC, I will be over the moon!!! Its a conversion in Silver Efex Pro using one of my custom filters.

If I can get ACROS settings to look like that SOOC, I will be over the moon!!! Its a conversion in Silver Efex Pro using one of my custom filters.

Then you've done yourself proud Sir.(y)

George.

@NDevon Sadly I cannot speak from personal experience, however the XT2 does sound like a good choice, especially given a review I watched yesterday where it got good images of a kid running straight at the camera, a real step up for mirrorless.

As to lenses, again from personal Fuji experience I'm poor, however do consider the size of the room you're planning to use, a 90mm (135 in 35mm equivalent) while a wonderful length and my personal favourite would be restrictive indoors unless you're looking for a close head shot, luckily you also listed the 56mm (85mm) and the 35mm (50mm).

When you're looking at the 35mm personally I plan on good the f2 despite it not being as wise and that's down to three things, quieter, faster to focus and weather resistance.

Perhaps a 23mm would serve you well, 35mm equivalent is pretty good for a standard room.

Again as of yet I only have the 18-135 which is a really good lens, but not one I'd run to for portraiture, but really good as for travel.

Commendable project by the way and I'm sure someone with actual useful knowledge will be along soon.

Last edited:
Firstly, what a lovely idea for a business and I hope it goes well. Will you be shooting indoors or out? If in, then 90mm will probably be too long. The 56 will likely be better suited, but bear in mind that it's not the world's fastest focusing lens (it's pretty nifty but might struggle with fast moving subjects).

For fast movers - the 16-55/2.8 is very quick and will capture most scenes. The 18-55/2.8-4 is also fast and much lighter - you'll get less bokeh at the 55mm end though as it's f/4 at that point.

Personally I'd start with a used 56/1.2 and 18-55/2.8-4, and if you can stretch to it, 55-200/3.5-4.8. You won't lose much if you buy used but decide the focal lengths aren't right for you. Maybe even just start with the zooms to work that bit out :)

I'd agree with this. 56 is ideal for portraits, 90 is probably my favourite lens but likely to be a bit too long. Personally, I find the 35mm a great focal length for portraits too. Lots of complaints about the focus speed of the f1.4 version but I've never had a problem. I don't use zooms now but there is nothing wrong with the 18-55 which I had for a while. If you think you will need the flexibility it might jump ahead of the 35mm on your list. Good luck with your project.

Thank you for your kind words :)

I will be both indoors and out, in the families homes and gardens, maybe out on beaches, countryside, wherever the kids will relax and I can get them at their best really. I have an old barn next to my house I'm going to convert into a purpose built studio with sensory lighting (as well as studio of course) so I can have families come to me, then we can also go out and about around the farm and in my garden and I'll know where I can get the pictures. So yes in their homes I will likely be restricted for space at times and I realise the 90mm wouldn't be the best lens.

So the 16-55 sounds the better option of that and the 18-55, I'll have to look at the prices - it sounds more expensive! However I guess it will be quite a good all rounder for what I need, so if it's a really lens and I can capture what I need with it I'm better off spending the money on something I'll make better use of.

Would you start with the 18-55 because it's cheaper? Or can you think of other reasons it would be the better choice - I don't think the weight will be too much of an issue.

The 56 sounds right. Hadn't really considered the 55-200, I'll have a look thanks :)

@NDevon Sadly I cannot speak from personal experience, however the XT2 does sound like a good choice, especially given a review I watched yesterday where it got good images of a kid running straight at the camera, a real step up for mirrorless.

As to lenses, again from personal Fuji experience I'm poor, however do consider the size of the room you're planning to use, a 90mm (135 in 35mm equivalent) while a wonderful length and my personal favourite would be restrictive indoors unless you're looking for a close head shot, luckily you also listed the 56mm (85mm) and the 35mm (50mm).

Perhaps a 23mm would serve you well, 35mm equivalent is pretty good for a standard room.

Again as of yet I only have the 18-135 which is a really good lens, but not one I'd run to for portraiture, but really good as for travel.

Commendable project by the way and I'm sure someone with actual useful knowledge will be along soon.

Thanks for the kind words and helpful hints John :)

I do like the sound of the 56 and 35, and I had considered the 23mm. Maybe those 3 with a really nice zoom as above would be just perfect. I don't think I'm going to need too long a reach, I'm not interested in wildlife photography at all, and although sometimes it's fun to zoom right in it so not something I'd miss if I couldn't.

I'm a bit disappointed with Across simulation. I always seem to have to work on it so have largely given up using it. If someone knows how to set the camera up go get shots like that SOOC would they please spill the beans.

I'd agree with this. 56 is ideal for portraits, 90 is probably my favourite lens but likely to be a bit too long. Personally, I find the 35mm a great focal length for portraits too. Lots of complaints about the focus speed of the f1.4 version but I've never had a problem. I don't use zooms now but there is nothing wrong with the 18-55 which I had for a while. If you think you will need the flexibility it might jump ahead of the 35mm on your list. Good luck with your project.

Thanks Ian :)

I really like the sound of the 90mm, I've read lots of people say it's lovely for portraits, but then in a studio they have the luxury of being able to back right up to get the shot. I think it will have to go on a list for later as it doesn't sound like a priority and I'd be frustrated if I bought it and didn't make much use of it.

When you say 'lots of compplaimts' about the 35mm do you think that's just a noisy few, or is it a real issue for some people? I've seen plenty of pictures taken with the 35mm 1.4 and they look really good, but again I don't want to find it frustrating.

I'm a bit disappointed with Across simulation. I always seem to have to work on it so have largely given up using it. If someone knows how to set the camera up go get shots like that SOOC would they please spill the beans.

I think some time is needed taking the same shot with different settings, where ACROS is really good though is at high ISO, I've been really impressed with ISO 12800 shots, though you still need decent dynamic range in the field of view, it can't see in the dark!!!

@NDevon Thank you and you;re welcome :)

I totally agree with @manualfocus-g - if weight isn't an issue the 16-55 looks very good, but as you imply pretty expensive (see here for all the best current uk prices - link) - its £820 vs £430 so quite a jump.

There's always the Samyang options, but they are manual focus so could rule themselves out on that basis alone, it is much harder with moving subjects but very cost effective and the only way (maybe except Zeis) to get a 1.4 oat 85mm without breaking the bank.

I really like the sound of the 90mm, I've read lots of people say it's lovely for portraits, but then in a studio they have the luxury of being able to back right up to get the shot. I think it will have to go on a list for later as it doesn't sound like a priority and I'd be frustrated if I bought it and didn't make much use of it.

When you say 'lots of compplaimts' about the 35mm do you think that's just a noisy few, or is it a real issue for some people? I've seen plenty of pictures taken with the 35mm 1.4 and they look really good, but again I don't want to find it frustrating.

All the lenses are snappier on the X-T2, yes the original 3 (18, 35f1.4 and 60) are slower to focus, but still very workable with.

IMO the 23f1.4/56/90 are all very special lenses, and also seem to have slightly different colour rendition than some of the other Fuji Glass.

In your shoes I would consider 18-55 (low cost great quality zoom), 56mm for portraiture and either the new 23f2 or 35f2 as your compact walkabout. Both the later will give you WR as well. Then when the bug bites you can add more lenses.

35mm 1.4 and they look really good, but again I don't want to find it frustrating.
The fungus shots I posted earlier were taken with the 35mm 1.4. It's a good lens. But it can take time to focus. Not a problem for my style but others say the f2.0 is a lot faster to focus but you do loose the 1.4 bit. Suppose it really depends on how fast your subject moves!

The fungus shots I posted earlier were taken with the 35mm 1.4. It's a good lens. But it can take time to focus. Not a problem for my style but others say the f2.0 is a lot faster to focus but you do loose the 1.4 bit. Suppose it really depends on how fast your subject moves!

If it moves quick, then trying to nail the focus at f1.4 becomes a superhuman activity!!!

I think some time is needed taking the same shot with different settings, where ACROS is really good though is at high ISO, I've been really impressed with ISO 12800 shots, though you still need decent dynamic range in the field of view, it can't see in the dark!!!
But....here comes the argument!
If you have to play around that much then why not just shoot RAW and then use Silver Efex? You can then control every aspect of your processing rather than leave it in camera.

But....here comes the argument!
If you have to play around that much then why not just shoot RAW and then use Silver Efex? You can then control every aspect of your processing rather than leave it in camera.

But you won't get the same noise handling at High ISO. I'm definitely going to have a play (in some spare time), as anything which shortens the time spent in front of a computer has to be good.

If it moves quick, then trying to nail the focus at f1.4 becomes a superhuman activity!!!

Yea, and kids tend to move quicker than fungus of course!

Thanks all for your tips, really appreciated. I enjoy reading this thread and admiring your creations, I'll be sticking around and let you know if and when I make the purchase!

But you won't get the same noise handling at High ISO. I'm definitely going to have a play (in some spare time), as anything which shortens the time spent in front of a computer has to be good.
If you can get Acros to work as we both want SOOC then I'll buy you a pint - after you've bought me all the ones you owe!

I'm not sure about the 35mm issue. I am slow and deliberate when taking shots now my kids are older so it never affected me but enough experienced photographers mention it for it not to be real. I guess it could be sample variation. I used to have a sigma 85mm lens that gave better pictures than my canon f1.2 when it decided to focus but I missed so many while it hunted that I gave up. If you are doing these portrait sessions professionally it at least as seriously as it sounds then I wouldn't want to have to fight the gear. If you do go for a 35 buy it some place you can give it a serious test and return it if you are not 100%sold on it.

With regards 35mm, the 35/1.4 renders beautifully and is a great asset outdoors (doesn't track at all well on my x-t1 though).

Tried taking shots with it this morning though, indoors as it's my son's birthday, and missed focus with a lot of shots. The 18/2 fared better, and I guess the 23/1.4 would have done much better again.

As others have said, the 35/2 is very fast to focus and cheap to buy used.

That first one looks a bit odd - reverse keystoning? Have you pushed a correction slider too far?

Well spotted! I need to see if there's a lens correction profile in LR for the Zeiss 12mm

I've been playing around with the 18-55 on my new X-T2 and I'm really impressed. Considering it's one of the cheaper lenses I find it fast and giving me great shots across the range.

I've been shipped out to a different location for work this week so I'm not getting home until 10pm which is a bit crap as I wanted to get out with the camera some more and upload some shots. The following week, I promise!

Back