The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Anyone heard about the T2 firmware update that was promised for today?
Looking at Fuji site there is not one available. The only flash update is to allow the T1 to use the new flash unit, probably destroying it's ability to use the Nissin i40 in the process.
Anyone know anything?

Last edited:
Looking at Fuji site there is not one available. The only flash update is to allow the T1 to use the new flash unit, probably sdestroying it's ability to use the Nissin i40 in the process.
Anyone know anything?
Hi,

Fuji have delayed the XT-2 firmware until the 29th of Nov.

Looking at Fuji site there is not one available. The only flash update is to allow the T1 to use the new flash unit, probably sdestroying it's ability to use the Nissin i40 in the process.
Anyone know anything?
Seen somewhere on Facebook it's been postponed till Nov 29th

In preparation in my moving from Sony to Fuji, what is the best route for a post-processing application?
I currently use Lightroom and find it does what I need in terms of adjustments and editing.
What are you folks using?

Cheers,

Riz

In preparation in my moving from Sony to Fuji, what is the best route for a post-processing application?
I currently use Lightroom and find it does what I need in terms of adjustments and editing.

Cheers,

Riz
Depends...
What version of LR are you on and which camera are you on?
LR version 5 will not handle T2 files. Version6 and CC will. Photoshop needs CC to handle T2 files.
I'm busy downloading files from yesterday's Manchester meet. I'm on LR5, so first I use the free dng convertor before importing into LR. Saves apying for an upgrade!

Cheers,

Riz
Lightroom is OK most of the time, but Adobe still can have issues processing the X-Trans files. One thing you need to get used to is the different way to sharpen. I would recommend whacking detail up to 100 and leaving sharpening at the default setting. For the odd files that LR struggles with I use aperture. A lot of folk say irident is the best for processing fuji files but IMO it really isn't a nice piece of software to use, looks and feels like a program from the 90's. Others like Capture One, photoninja and Silkypix. I tried all these and none felt as good quality or slick as LR or aperture.

I've been finding LR/Camera Raw to be good especially if I use one of the Adobe Fuji film simulations and then tweak from there.
For anything I have issue with I use Irident which gives great output but is a bit clunky interface wise, I really need to spend a little more time with it.

Depends...
What version of LR are you on and which camera are you on?
LR version 5 will not handle T2 files. Version6 and CC will. Photoshop needs CC to handle T2 files.
I'm busy downloading files from yesterday's Manchester meet. I'm on LR5, so first I use the free dng convertor before importing into LR. Saves apying for an upgrade!

If you convert to dng do you lose the ability to apply film presets in LR?

I used PhotoNinja as a Lightroom plug in for a while before I went from LR3 to LR6, the promised version 2 of PN never materialised. If it ever does I will have another try, always impressed with how it handled the RAW files, not very smooth workflow though.

I've just been shooting jpeg as well whilst learning about the files and how to process them. Everyone's always raved about the jpegs from Fuji so thoughts I'd see what all the fuss is about ;) I will be switching to RAW only soon,..... until the XT2 GSE is released and available at a sensible price on the used market in which case I'll be shooting jpeg backups on the second card like I do my D750 ;)

So are you saying you don't like the jpegs?

Cheers,

Riz
If you go for LR,watch out for the painterly effect,if you need more clarification ask Snerkler lol

Anyone know how to or if you even can change the resolution of photos sent to phone app over the wireless link?

I've been finding LR/Camera Raw to be good especially if I use one of the Adobe Fuji film simulations and then tweak from there.
For anything I have issue with I use Irident which gives great output but is a bit clunky interface wise, I really need to spend a little more time with it.
Like wot he sez. :agree:

I used PhotoNinja as a Lightroom plug in for a while before I went from LR3 to LR6, the promised version 2 of PN never materialised. If it ever does I will have another try, always impressed with how it handled the RAW files, not very smooth workflow though.
The trouble is if you use a plug in via LR, or import to LR and then export to another software it's already been 'processed' by LR and the anomalies are still then present. I tried this importing to LR and then sending to edit it aperture.

So are you saying you don't like the jpegs?
Nope jpegs are really nice, it's just I can still get better results processing in RAW. Having my presets means I don't lose the Fuji jpeg look but I can rescue details, highlights etc better as well as get a better result with sharpening and NR.

Lightroom is OK most of the time, but Adobe still can have issues processing the X-Trans files. One thing you need to get used to is the different way to sharpen. I would recommend whacking detail up to 100 and leaving sharpening at the default setting. For the odd files that LR struggles with I use aperture. A lot of folk say irident is the best for processing fuji files but IMO it really isn't a nice piece of software to use, looks and feels like a program from the 90's. Others like Capture One, photoninja and Silkypix. I tried all these and none felt as good quality or slick as LR or aperture.
Does aperture handle XT2 raw files without needing any updates? I've got a version of aperture knocking around somewhere so will give it a try when my XT2 turns up :)

BRB converting 4 years of photos to DNG.... [emoji14]

I wouldn't necessarily do this because the benefits aren't that great.

And if you ever switch your processing application in future you might lose some of the benefit of retaining the original file.

And get a more painterly effect if you wish ;)

It might have been funny said once but repeatedly making the same gag gets boring ;)

Does aperture handle XT2 raw files without needing any updates? I've got a version of aperture knocking around somewhere so will give it a try when my XT2 turns up :)
Not sure TBH as don't have the XT2. Usually aperture RAW handling is linked with Mac OS RAW updates so I would assume (though can't guarantee) that it will be able to handle XT2 when OS can.

LR CC for me. I love the Fuji files and how well they render. Use the detail slider tip when sharpening and you shouldn't have any issues.

If I don't plan on ever buying that flash there's no point me updating the XT-1 firmware for now then?

And get a more painterly effect if you wish ;)

I found this really only happens with Jpegs when you have on-cam NR at 0 or +, I have it set to -2 on mine, there really should be a straight up 'OFF' for NR. But it doesn't affect RAW files anyway, which I will probably shoot in mostly.

I wouldn't necessarily do this because the benefits aren't that great.

And if you ever switch your processing application in future you might lose some of the benefit of retaining the original file.

It might have been funny said once but repeatedly making the same gag gets boring ;)
I promise not to mention it again :)

Last edited:
Nice. Been getting into panos lately, but need a tripod. I've been experimenting with the brenizer method pretty successfully, now I just need an interesting subject!

Its actually a single 14mm shot cropped top and bottom, did shoot a pano of the lifting bridge (green bridge above) with the 90mm, from another viewpoint, but although the detail is fantastic, there is too much light pollution (the lovely nuclear orange glow of Manchester, it was shot later in the day)

Your thoughts on this please. Just had my XT2 after switching from Nikon. Bought it with 18-55 plus I got the 35mm f2. I want to build my lens collection now, thinking my next buy should be between the 16mm f1.4 or the 10-24 f4. I know there's a huge debate about prime v zoom but I heard and read so many good things about both these lenses. So, with all the experience here I thought I would ask your opinions? Would it be the 16mm for its f1.4 and sudo macro ability or the 10-24mm f4 for it's wider view and versatility over a larger range?
Many thanks.

XF 10-24mm was my choice as it covers the 16mm yes you lose the 1.4 aperture but gain with the OS and very versatile sharp piece of glass :)

I now pack one bag with Samyang 8mm f2.8 Fisheye along with XF 10-24mm,18-135mm 100-400mm and the 1.4 converter all the XF zooms having OS which is the most important feature after optical quality.
The other bag carries my XF14mm, 18mm, 27mm 35mm 56mm 60mm & 90mm plus spare bodies :):fuji: But the traveling lighter at times has gone out the window :whistle:

Right, I need a T2.

Regards;
Pete

I was discussing this with @mickledore last night, from my shots, I think that the X-T2 is sharper than the X-T1, I may be imagining it (or I'm getting better!!!!), but even in the EVF/Rear screen, the shots look to my untrained eye ... sharper.

Also you can push/pull them further in LR, to me there is a big difference with the X-Trans3

Back