The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Chaps if you could get by with one prime only to capture family moments or the kids which prime would give the greatest flexibility? Tempted to upgrade the RX100 that sometimes fails to deliver decent images in low light when out with the family. Was thinking maybe a GoPro 5 for video and small compact prime and XT1 for the photos.
Personally if I had to cut down to one prime it would be the 23mm but for the uses you describe it would maybe be the 35mm probably the f2 for focus speed.

Chaps if you could get by with one prime only to capture family moments or the kids which prime would give the greatest flexibility? Tempted to upgrade the RX100 that sometimes fails to deliver decent images in low light when out with the family. Was thinking maybe a GoPro 5 for video and small compact prime and XT1 for the photos.

Personally if I had to cut down to one prime it would be the 23mm but for the uses you describe it would maybe be the 35mm probably the f2 for focus speed.
For me it would be the 23mm F2, perfect FL, fast focus and almost as small as the 35mmF2. I've always found the 35mm FL slightly too long for an all round lens. With the 23mm you have more versatility for street, landscape and end of the day you can crop slightly for better framing.

For me it would be the 23mm F2, perfect FL, fast focus and almost as small as the 35mmF2. I've always found the 35mm FL slightly too long for an all round lens. With the 23mm you have more versatility for street, landscape and end of the day you can crop slightly for better framing.
My thoughts exactly. I used to live the performance of the 35mm f1.8 on my Nikon D7100, but always found myself running out of wiggle room indoors to fit everything into the frame I wanted to.

There's the 27mm for compactness, but for the faster focus and lower light performance the 23mm would likely be ideal.

Probably the 23mm f1.4, but it would be close with the 35mm f1.4. Basically if it was to be used predominantly indoors it would be the 23mm, if used a lot outdoors the 35mm as I much prefer the look of that focal length.

@Nuzik these are some of the best shots I took with the Raynox, not in the same league as shots I've managed with a proper macro lens but not a bad start to see if you like macro. Macro is quite frustrating, especially if working outside as the slightest breath of wind and your shot's ruined.

DSC05175
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC05262
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC05456
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Contrast this with a macro lens

DSC_4423 Crop
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8759
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_9588
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Officially back in the club, X-T1 plus battery grip heading my way, not decided which lens to use for home/family stuff yet, maybe the 35mm f2 as I remember AF being pretty rapid. Both will become backup kit later on.

In a shocking act of sensibleness I figured I may as well hold off on an X-T2 until the Spring, and keep my eye out for a good deal on a 23 and 56, as my next paid work isn't until March now, so I don't actually need them yet.

I haven't done a lot of macro photography since I moved to Fuji, but got back to it at Photography Club on Thursday. The shell is a 5-image focus stack using the 35mm f1.4 with a Raynox 250. The Cybermen were shot on the 35mm with a 10mm Ebay extension tube.

Shell.jpg

Cybermen.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Andrew

Last edited:
Going out to have a look later but can anyone tell me if there is a big difference in the viewfinder/ screen between the xt1 & the xt10.shooting with Nikon d750 at the moment but fancy trying a Fuji.

Thanks Andrew,I remember reading somewhere that some people have trouble seeing all the info through the xt10.
I'll admit that it can be a little difficult in that respect, but I'm a glasses wearer so it's a bit trickier anyway. I fitted the extended eyecup on the X-T1 which helps a lot. If I get too far away from the eyepiece on the X-T10, I do have to choose between top and bottom of the display, but I haven't really thought too much about it until I just checked!

I've used both side by side and even then it didn't really bother me. The X-T10 is more 'letterboxed' but it's still a nice big bright viewfinder.

The X-T10/16-50 combo is a cracking deal this weekend with the Currys code and cashback.

Last edited:
Going out to have a look later but can anyone tell me if there is a big difference in the viewfinder/ screen between the xt1 & the xt10.shooting with Nikon d750 at the moment but fancy trying a Fuji.

The viewfinder in the x-t1 is noticeably bigger, but I find shooting with either is fine :)

Ah crap, I forgot I accidentally bought an x-a2 / 16-50 refurb yesterday as well :D Can do some Bayer / X trans comparisons at least. And selfies. You lucky lot!

Serious point though, ordered on the Fuji site yesterday using @Barrysprout supplied code at 2pm, and it was with me by 9am :eek:

Ah crap, I forgot I accidentally bought an x-a2 / 16-50 refurb yesterday as well :D Can do some Bayer / X trans comparisons at least. And selfies. You lucky lot!

Serious point though, ordered on the Fuji site yesterday using @Barrysprout supplied code at 2pm, and it was with me by 9am :eek:

Which code? Presumably the PAYPAL12 one?

Use them side by side like I did when I was trying to decide and the difference is marked. The XT1 is the same size as the D750 (0.77 mag) and the XT10 is noticeably smaller, not only in stats but also in use. What I also found was that despite the XT10 having the same resolution screen it didn't seem as crisp. The only thing I can think was that this was just an illusion due to the size but I went back and forth several times and always felt the same way.

Argh the GAS is strong. I've currently got 12mm 2.8 Zeiss, 23mm 1.4 18-55mm, 50mm Zeiss Macro, 56mm 1.2 and 55-200 for my X-T2.

Secondary GAS was for a 16mm 1.4 and 90mm 2.0; Thus far I've been able to resist due to prices - I think the 16mm is a bit overpriced, and the 90mm is desirable - that was going to be my next purchase.

Tertiary GAS was for 16-55 and 50-140 - I'd love these I think, but am put off by the bulk, cost and lack of OIS on the 16-55.

However, (dammit), this weekend, I have an option on a 50-140 and 1.4x teleconverter, and Currys have this 10% off thing, which combined with the 125 Fuji cashback makes the 16-55 look a steal. So I could skip Secondary GAS, and jump to Tertiary GAS mode, and get those two, with a net "saving" in that if I had those two, I'd not need Secondary GAS and could sell my 18-55 and 55-200. But I'd be gaining bloat with the tertiary GAS level, albeit convenience.

I never had these issues with Canon - it was full on bloat and expense if you wanted fast quality L Zooms, or cheaper less desirable non L products (shudder :) ) or even more overpriced L primes. The Fuji system makes it harder in that most of their lenses are brill, even the moderate level zooms.

Decisions decisions....

I know, I was 99% joking though as I sold Chris the one he is thinking of moving on just one month ago.

I know! Was fully intending on going prime only but the 16-55 handles really well on the XT2!

Argh the GAS is strong. I've currently got 12mm 2.8 Zeiss, 23mm 1.4 18-55mm, 50mm Zeiss Macro, 56mm 1.2 and 55-200 for my X-T2.

Secondary GAS was for a 16mm 1.4 and 90mm 2.0; Thus far I've been able to resist due to prices - I think the 16mm is a bit overpriced, and the 90mm is desirable - that was going to be my next purchase.

Tertiary GAS was for 16-55 and 50-140 - I'd love these I think, but am put off by the bulk, cost and lack of OIS on the 16-55.

However, (dammit), this weekend, I have an option on a 50-140 and 1.4x teleconverter, and Currys have this 10% off thing, which combined with the 125 Fuji cashback makes the 16-55 look a steal. So I could skip Secondary GAS, and jump to Tertiary GAS mode, and get those two, with a net "saving" in that if I had those two, I'd not need Secondary GAS and could sell my 18-55 and 55-200. But I'd be gaining bloat with the tertiary GAS level, albeit convenience.

I never had these issues with Canon - it was full on bloat and expense if you wanted fast quality L Zooms, or cheaper less desirable non L products (shudder :) ) or even more overpriced L primes. The Fuji system makes it harder in that most of their lenses are brill, even the moderate level zooms.

Decisions decisions....

I picked up the 50-140 & 1.4x TC combo, its brilliant, forgot to cancel a 90mm I ordered a month ago and it arrived this week, much prefer the zoom lens the IS makes all the difference although if I find myself not using it enough I'd swap to a cheaper 55-200 as its expensive glass to have lying around!

Thanks - that's my thoughts. Though if I can get the combo with the TC at a decent price, I figure if I don't use it much, it's not too much of a lost investment downstream. I'm just trying to decide if I'll use the 55-200 more because it's portable, or less because GAS tells me there are better lenses available. I'm odd like that :)

Same goes for the 18-55 - now that I've got primes in my bag, I'm someone who'll pick up the prime because it's better quality. I'll get over this phase once I've had it for a while maybe. :)

Last edited:
@Nuzik these are some of the best shots I took with the Raynox, not in the same league as shots I've managed with a proper macro lens but not a bad start to see if you like macro. Macro is quite frustrating, especially if working outside as the slightest breath of wind and your shot's ruined.

DSC05175
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC05262
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC05456
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Contrast this with a macro lens

DSC_4423 Crop
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8759
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_9588
by TDG-77, on Flickr

These are lovely macros

If the Currys code is the IMAGING50 one on CameraPriceBuster, it doesn't work with the 16-55mm. It's only for cameras over £500.

Last edited:
If the Currys code is the IMAGING50 one on CameraPriceBuster, it doesn't work with the 16-55mm. It's only for cameras over £500.

I didn't know about that one. No, this is with Quidco - 10% cash back for all sales, ends today.

Need to decide what to flog in order to keep the 23/2. Took the kids to a soft play party today so hooked up the 18/2 for a potential last hurrah, as it's not got a great reputation (af, resolution).

Well, the 18mm focused exceptionally quickly with no missed shots on my x-t1. Plus the pics look pretty good as well. Fuji have made massive strides with their firmware updates, amazing really.

Need to decide what to flog in order to keep the 23/2. Took the kids to a soft play party today so hooked up the 18/2 for a potential last hurrah, as it's not got a great reputation (af, resolution).

Well, the 18mm focused exceptionally quickly with no missed shots on my x-t1. Plus the pics look pretty good as well. Fuji have made massive strides with their firmware updates, amazing really.
It's an underrated lens. Still small and quick to focus, people say it's soft at the edges but I don't notice it as my eyesight is not what it used to be!!

Did I see SONY images ... in this thread!?? OUT!!! :bat::p

if i could only ever have one lens for the Fuji, i think it would be one of the 35mm. I can easily live without wide angles, I'd miss longer reach more.

The 23mm would almost certainly give the more flexibility, but If I could only have one lens it would have to be the 35mm 1.4. Probably dates back to my 35mm film days when everything virtually came with a standard 50mm lens and I personally still find that FL lens suits me much better. Its all down to personal preference and what each individual feels more comfortable with.(y)

George.

Officially back in the club, X-T1 plus battery grip heading my way, not decided which lens to use for home/family stuff yet, maybe the 35mm f2 as I remember AF being pretty rapid. Both will become backup kit later on.

In a shocking act of sensibleness I figured I may as well hold off on an X-T2 until the Spring, and keep my eye out for a good deal on a 23 and 56, as my next paid work isn't until March now, so I don't actually need them yet.

That's good to hear Chris, "Welcome Back and ENJOY".(y)

George.

Totally cracked and bought a 23/2 WR with the 10% topcashback offer :eek:

"Good on you Mr G, its a fine lens, ENJOY"(y)

"Its beginning to look like this GAS complaint is reaching epidemic proportions".:D:D

George.

Back