The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

This could be of use to you.
http://fujifilm-x.com/af/en/

I set AF Mode to wide tracking, focus button to continuous, shooting mode to CH, and tweaked the AF-C Custom settings to what I thought appropriate. Centre focus point only.
Two days after release date I went to Oulton park with @Mr Perceptive of this parish. No time to practice, just underwent a bit of RTFM.
Came home with this, that is moving faster than a duck...

Car-#55
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

I took nearly 1300 shots in the day and kept a small proportion of that. You must accept that there will be wastage.

There are rumours that some guys shoot Formula One with the X-T2 and the 100-400 but I've never seen any results from there.
Excellent capture and panning (y)

Slowly getting to know the XT-2 while managing a new baby and a move back home to NZ. Shooting more now and starting to really enjoy it. I've been back and forth about the in camera jpegs but I'm now using them about 90% of the time - the colour is just wow and it avoids all the hassle with trying to sharpen the raws in lightroom. Here is a snap shot with the XT2 and the 16mm. If anyone is into landscapes and hasn't been to New Zealand , well...

1610_Mangawhai Heads_161_web.jpg

Slowly getting to know the XT-2 while managing a new baby and a move back home to NZ. Shooting more now and starting to really enjoy it. I've been back and forth about the in camera jpegs but I'm now using them about 90% of the time - the colour is just wow and it avoids all the hassle with trying to sharpen the raws in lightroom. Here is a snap shot with the XT2 and the 16mm. If anyone is into landscapes and hasn't been to New Zealand , well...

View attachment 96093
I agree I just tweek jpgs now. I still shoot with both and will edit a raw in camera if it needs an exposure adjustment.

I went to NZ as a child but still haven't made it back out there. I have family there. Beautiful country and people.

I would be interested to hear what screen protectors XT-2 owners use. I've presently got a Inov8 attached, but it's not very good - bubbles appearing, peeling off at the corners, then it gets caught on my jackets etc.
I've looked on Amazon and the GGS self-adhesive optical glass lcd screen gets good reviews, any other recommendations would be greatly received.

After using the flexible plastic ones for many years with mixed success and many bubbles, I moved over to glass ones - I think they may be GGS but I'm not certain - and they do go on easily and bubble-free. My only concern is that, if they really are glass, what happens if they get shattered? Will the shards scratch the screen?

EDIT my latest ones are Brotect from Amazon, but looking at my purchase history I've also bought GGS for other cameras.

Last edited:
I would be interested to hear what screen protectors XT-2 owners use. I've presently got a Inov8 attached, but it's not very good - bubbles appearing, peeling off at the corners, then it gets caught on my jackets etc.
I've looked on Amazon and the GGS self-adhesive optical glass lcd screen gets good reviews, any other recommendations would be greatly received.
I use thin sheets of glass. Not sure on brand, I'll find out, no bubbles and no scratches unlike cheap plastic ones!

I have used GGS for all my Fujis, and they are brilliant. I have only ever had one break, and that was my fault. The glass breaks, but it stays attached to the sticky film of the base, so no scratches to the camera screen.

I have 2 x 5D4 and a bunch of Canon mount lenses for "work". I can and I have taken 1 body with 1 lens (typically the 35L) on travel but have also sold my spare 5D2 so intend to replace it with something else. I am not limited by brand or even budget as I am also considering Sony A7R2 but what I want is something with good AF, good DR, good ISO performance as it is mainly going to be used as a natural light camera for travel. The attraction of a Sony body is I could use all my Canon lenses where as with Fuji I need to get a few.

I guess I don't need the XT2 so looking at the XT1, is that a good camera compare to say the Canon 5D3 (I know the 5D4 will knock it out of the park)? I am happy if it could match the 5D3 and the price seems reasonable these days.

I guess I don't need the XT2 so looking at the XT1, is that a good camera compare to say the Canon 5D3 (I know the 5D4 will knock it out of the park)? I am happy if it could match the 5D3 and the price seems reasonable these days.
I went from a 5D3 to an X-T1 and never regretted it. Others on here have done the same. I bought the T1 as a second camera for travelling , days out with the wife etc. I soon realised that I was using it all the time and leaving the Canon at home.
For my style of photography it was an ideal alternative. There are things that it cannot do, but there are things that it does that the Canon doesn't do. It will do 80% of what the Canon does 80% of the time. For me that was enough and I didn't miss the extra bits. I seldom use flash with it, relying on natural light so it would seem to fit your requirements.But there is the big unkown factor of how you and it will get on together. Best if you could fix a trial first just to be on the safe side.

Pretty much the same as others, bought a refurbished X-E1 to try it out, used it most of the time and exchanged my 5D2 for a X-T1. Sold off all my Canon gear and bought Fuji lenses, very nice they are too and the kit fits nicely in my rucksack
No regrets and it was the realisation of how the size and weight of the dslr was putting me off taking a camera out that convinced me I had done the right thing.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same as others, bought a refurbished X-E1 to try it out, used it most of the time and exchanged my 5D2 for a X-T1. Sold off all my Canon gear and bought Fuji lenses, very nice they are too and the kit fits nicely in my rucksack
No regrets and it was the realisation of how the size and weight of the dslr was putting me off taking a camera out that convinced me I had done the right thing.
Same here, but I ran an x30 alongside canon. Fell in love, and traded the Canon gear for an x-t10 + 3 lenses :)

I have 2 x 5D4 and a bunch of Canon mount lenses for "work". I can and I have taken 1 body with 1 lens (typically the 35L) on travel but have also sold my spare 5D2 so intend to replace it with something else. I am not limited by brand or even budget as I am also considering Sony A7R2 but what I want is something with good AF, good DR, good ISO performance as it is mainly going to be used as a natural light camera for travel. The attraction of a Sony body is I could use all my Canon lenses where as with Fuji I need to get a few.

I've gone from the Sony A7RII to the Fuji XT-2, unless you need to print/crop in extreme sizes or pixel peep I doubt you'd notice any massive real world difference, certainly not when it you factor in performance vs cost.

I switched from a Nikon D800E to the XT-1 and haven't looked back. I don't miss the bulkiness, weight or massive RAW file sizes tbh. I find the XT-1 more than capable for my needs [also have an xpro1 on side] - though I am no pro. I don't print huge, but I would be confident enough to do up some large-ish canvases from XT-1 files. AF-wise it keeps up for me shooting the kids, birds in the garden that kind of thing.

Is the XT-1 touchscreen? I notice it lacks the thumb stick which I find invulnerable on the 5D2/3/4. I know the new XT-2 has the stick but XT-1 do not, however I know the new XT-20 does have a Touchscreen which I could use it to directly focus quickly.

Last edited:
No stick on the XT-1, and the selection buttons are a bit gick tbh :D I've seen people stick rubber pads to them to improve the ergonomics. It's not touch screen either. The xt20 will have touch screen and the same sensor as the XT-2, it'll be smaller and you can't get a grip for it just yet [I don't think] but will produce some excellent files indeed.

Love to know what he was thinking GR8 capture and one for the family album :)

Thanks man. Is a baby girl actually ..... my fault to style her like a boy lol. I was doing some low light test shot when capturing this photo. It ends up being pretty decent to keep. Although focus is not exactly bang on sharp but it looks alright after all lol.

Made my usual Sunday morning walk today but only took three manual lenses with me. Helios 135, 58 & 28. Quite pleased with the performance to price ratio but the 28mm could be a bit better.

Couple from the 135mm

Helios 135mm by barrysprout, on Flickr

Helios 135mm by barrysprout, on Flickr

One from the 58

Helios 58mm by barrysprout, on Flickr

And one from the 28

Helios 28mm by barrysprout, on Flickr

Nice - There's a definite pleasure in nailing shots with a manual focus lens. I have a few here too [ Helios 44/2 58mm, CZJ 135 3.5, Takumar 200 F4] and I do feel like they improve your overall shooting. They certainly improve your 'eye' for focus.

Nice - There's a definite pleasure in nailing shots with a manual focus lens. I have a few here too [ Helios 44/2 58mm, CZJ 135 3.5, Takumar 200 F4] and I do feel like they improve your overall shooting. They certainly improve your 'eye' for focus.
I've found that the wider the manual lens, the harder it is to nail focus.

I've found that the wider the manual lens, the harder it is to nail focus.

Should actually be the other way, you have a much greater DOF with wider lenses, should be easier to keep more in focus. But it's a long while since I used anything wider than a 50 or so MF. I have been eyeing the Samyang 12mm for a while though

Is the XT-1 touchscreen? I notice it lacks the thumb stick which I find invulnerable on the 5D2/3/4. I know the new XT-2 has the stick but XT-1 do not, however I know the new XT-20 does have a Touchscreen which I could use it to directly focus quickly.
I'd be wary recommending a xt1 to you. You have very high demands of a camera and the x series perhaps isn't the best choice for consumers who want a huge spec sheet. It doesn't have touchscreen or the fastest AF, or the best megapixels, ISO performance and dynamic range. However I can quite easily without hesitation say it's the best camera I've ever owned.

P.s reading your concerns or criteria I'd say you're better suited to the Sony and you can also use the lenses from work.

Last edited:
I wish! up to my eyes in the obligatory post-Christmas bills still :D
I'm happy with the t1 but I was with a friend last night looking for a cheap t2. It's a good price it's in the EU too although it's a grey import.

I'd be wary recommending a xt1 to you. You have very high demands of a camera and the x series perhaps isn't the best choice for consumers who want a huge spec sheet. It doesn't have touchscreen or the fastest AF, or the best megapixels, ISO performance and dynamic range. However I can quite easily without hesitation say it's the best camera I've ever owned.

P.s reading your concerns or criteria I'd say you're better suited to the Sony and you can also use the lenses from work.

This is where my concerns comes from.

I am used to Canon UI, I appreciate every camera is different and i am prepared to take time to learn it but there are things that are intrinsic to my shooting method that is hard to shift, like I prefocus points before pointing up to my face with the stick. As I press down to centre, and then I can move it around and I know where it is by either moving the stick or turning the dials, all done with the camera not up on my face. It is second nature to me. That method allows me to pre-focus and pre-composition my shots before they are taken.

A body needs to do that, it is in a way more important than the DR or ISO performance because my method of shooting is a part of me and how i get my shots because i know i can rely on it. Focusing after the camera is on my face in a way is too late.

I have and considering the Sony body, that side of things is more expensive on the outset but also cheaper because i don't have to buy any lenses other than an adaptor. However, it is as big as my DSLR really so not sure how that solves the travelling size dilemma (i won't say it's a problem because it never was, i just like to downsize for travel). Unless of course i get some Sony Zeiss lenses.

I've never had a problem changing focus points on any camera when I'm looking through the VF. To me, ergonomics are important, but there's rarely ever a case that you can't just get used to a different build and control system

I've never had a problem changing focus points on any camera when I'm looking through the VF. To me, ergonomics are important, but there's rarely ever a case that you can't just get used to a different build and control system

I am sure you can change focus points looking through the VF. However, I can do that without looking and i still know where the focus points is on the camera. That allows me the frame the shot in my head to the camera so as soon as i put the camera to my face, it is already framed, and will focus to the exact place i want. This is important in candids. I can pretty much do this in the split second from picking up the camera to bring it to my eye.

Should actually be the other way, you have a much greater DOF with wider lenses, should be easier to keep more in focus. But it's a long while since I used anything wider than a 50 or so MF. I have been eyeing the Samyang 12mm for a while though
That Samyang is a cracker of a lens. I've just, finally, bought one.

Perhaps I should clarify my statement. I find it harder to confirm focus through the viewfinder on wider lenses. Of course, they do have a greater dof so the end result is sharp anyway.

I am sure you can change focus points looking through the VF. However, I can do that without looking and i still know where the focus points is on the camera. That allows me the frame the shot in my head to the camera so as soon as i put the camera to my face, it is already framed, and will focus to the exact place i want. This is important in candids. I can pretty much do this in the split second from picking up the camera to bring it to my eye.

Yeah, I do that on my Canon and Fuji bodies. On the X-T1 I Program all of the 4 selection buttons to AF point selection. It's nice however on the X-T2 having the dedicated joystick as I note get 4 programmable buttons for other stuff. I've still got all my Canon gear alongside the Fuji and still can't decide which to scale back on...

You don't need one! Rip off!

Back