The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I realised last night that today would be the only chance of the year to capture a full moon (indeed, a supermoon) over the Bridge of Sighs here in Oxford. @yamahatdm900 of this parish, no fool he, came to the same conclusion, so we were both in the same place come 7pm :). I confidently expect his images to be better than mine, he being armed with the X-T2, the 16-55mm, more time and quite likely better technique, so I thought I'd get one in first! :D Also, I quite like the mysterious air produced by the helpful person at the window. Top tip of the day: if you can't manage clarity, shoot for mystery instead :)

The Watcher at the Window
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Last edited:
I realised last night that today would be the only chance of the year to capture a full moon (indeed, a supermoon) over the Bridge of Sighs here in Oxford. @yamahatdm900 of this parish, no fool he, came to the same conclusion, so we were both in the same place come 7pm :). I confidently expect his images to be better than mine, he being armed with the X-T2, the 16-55mm, more time and quite likely better technique, so I thought I'd get one in first! :D Also, I quite like the mysterious air produced by the helpful person at the window. Top tip of the day: if you can't manage clarity, shoot for mystery instead :)

Good one for me!

I dont think i can complete with the man in window for me that adds an extra bit of drama to the shot to what is a very nice shot. My idea was to shoot the moon through the window which i dont think as worked that well so this we teach me to wander off to early in search of other stuff.

Not sure if either was possible but either a few minutes' wait or a few steps back and right might have plonked the moon atop the tower behind (?) the bridge. Might not have been a better picture but could have been fun! That's not to say this one's no good though.

That figure in the window creeps me right out. Love it [emoji16]

Couple of last nights moon.

Shot with the 100-400 plus 1.4TC

DSCF6020 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

And this one was shot using the T2 and my Swarvoski birding scope (I've hardly shot any birds with it!!)

DSCF6030 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Did contemplate going into town with the camera to get a "Urban Super Moon" shot, but decided it was too cold!!

And this one was shot using the T2 and my Swarvoski birding scope (I've hardly shot any birds with it!!)

Did contemplate going into town with the camera to get a "Urban Super Moon" shot, but decided it was too cold!!

nice work. appeared to be hanging very low when i was on my way home. once i went out after dinner it just looked fairly regular. hopefully another chance this evening.

"Excellent" Fujigraph Sir, nuff said.(y)

George.

Both of these Fujigraphs work for me Sir, keep up the good work.(y)

George.

So after briefly flirting with a 5dIII and Sigma ART 35 1.4, I've today sent them back to MPB and bought a 56mm 1.2 from these forums. I found the 5dIII heavy and cumbersome after the XT2 and even though I know that combination gives amazing results, I just couldn't replicate them. And tellingly, I took 200 shots on the Canon in a week. Now for a new body and lens that's nothing. As soon as I hired a 56 1.2 from Lenshire I took at least that in a couple of hours last night. The Fuji inspires me, where the Canon just doesn't. I WANT to take photos with the Fuji. Example below.

XT2 56mm f.12 at 1/60 ISO 200. This is pretty much SOC.

DSCF3189 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

I love this body and lens! I'll still buy another 23mm and maybe a long zoom, but I only se Fuji as the way ahead for me now

I dont think i can complete with the man in window for me that adds an extra bit of drama to the shot to what is a very nice shot. My idea was to shoot the moon through the window which i dont think as worked that well so this we teach me to wander off to early in search of other stuff.
Funnily, I didn't notice him at the time. Was too focused on getting interesting light trails. But when I saw that was the best one, I actually wanted to get rid of all light trails to keep the attention on him... Rather ironic. I bet the X-T2 has provided a cleaner shot though :)

Not sure if either was possible but either a few minutes' wait or a few steps back and right might have plonked the moon atop the tower behind (?) the bridge. Might not have been a better picture but could have been fun! That's not to say this one's no good though.
There was limited room for manoeuvre as I had the tripod set up in a gateway at the top of some steps. At the right time it would probably have been possible though. Ideally I would have been further back and using a longer lens to get a bigger moon but the layout of the streets won't really allow that.

Thanks, many attempts, this one was the best but still has issues!!! Bracketed exposures a challenge as the bl**dy moon kept moving :D
I feel your pain. I blended a 10 second exposure for the moon and the watcher with a 30 second one for lowering shadow noise, but the moon has no details until you get down to around 1/15… which is pretty hard to blend naturally. The eye is an amazing thing.

Funnily, I didn't notice him at the time. Was too focused on getting interesting light trails. But when I saw that was the best one, I actually wanted to get rid of all light trails to keep the attention on him... Rather ironic. I bet the X-T2 has provided a cleaner shot though :)
It certainly works I reckon he's a mate of yours and you where directing him on the mobile[emoji16]. Personally i love it.
You would hope the x-t2 would give a cleaner shot but you dont thinl ypi going to notice at this size. The e tra resoultion is handy at times and the joystick is lovely.

I feel your pain. I blended a 10 second exposure for the moon and the watcher with a 30 second one for lowering shadow noise, but the moon has no details until you get down to around 1/15… which is pretty hard to blend naturally. The eye is an amazing thing.

I took a number of 9 bracket exposures, but with too long a shutter speed, the moon moved too much! In the end I used the last 6 images from a sequence, there one at 0.5 second, then 1/8 -> 1/125 which gave me detail in the moon. I couldn't use the first image and then the bottom 5 as the moon had moved so much in the +ve exposure compensation!! If I had more practice at this kind of thing, I would have probably used a 5 shot bracket, and got the centre exposure right!!!

I am amazed how good this 55mm Takamur is! Slightly 'glowy' at 1.8 but stopped down to 2.8 it is very sharp and has some lovely colour rendition. At f8 it is probably sharper than my Fuji 35 f2. I am amazed I only paid £30 for it!

I can see me ending up with quite a few of these old lenses.

Sorry if you have said this already but what adapter did you get ? I have a Takumar 55mm and a 28mm from my Spotmatic SPII and hadn't even considered using them on my X-T20 but am intrigued now....

Last edited:
I've just ordered the samyang 50 1.2 on a whim, anyone had any experience with this lens? I've read a couple of mixed reviews. It's also my first proper manual lens, but the the Fuji's seem to make it fairly painless (I've practiced with MF with some degree of success).

Taken in the back yard, precariously perched on a wobbly chair. X-T2, 50-230mm.

Trees by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Very nice Fujigraph Sir, really liking the mono presentation with just a touch of grittiness about it, very much like Tri-X film.(y)

“If you don’t mind me saying it looks like you’ve got a dust bunny on your sensor, showing just above the tree on the far left’

George.

Do these older lenses autofocus? Or are they all manual?
Basically, it's all manual. There are a few systems and lenses for which AF adapters are available, but they are the exception rather than the rule, and from what I hear they don't work all that well either.

The focusing aids available on mirrorless systems are a big help, however.

Nice composition! I like to think I like my 10-24, but I haven't actually had a chance to use it yet. Some time this month...

Thanks, Dave :) I'm still quite new to my Fuji gear but one of the best things about a '52' is that it gets me looking at things I might not normally notice, and the 10-24 was perfect for this scene and angle.

I should add that this is the local steam railway line, which doesn't run in the winter so I was quite safe!

Yep, I'm bored! :confused:

Simple reflection snap just now... X-T1 and 18/55

Candlelight by CFC Photo, on Flickr

Very nice Fujigraph Sir, great idea, good composition, and very well presented.(y)

“Hope you don’t mind me saying. I think just a tad of fill light or maybe a reflector at the first candle would have made the shot even better just to show the side of the candle the same as the other two”

George.

Very nice Fujigraph Sir, great idea, good composition, and very well presented.(y)

“Hope you don’t mind me saying. I think just a tad of fill light or maybe a reflector at the first candle would have made the shot even better just to show the side of the candle the same as the other two”

George.

Great shout re reflector. Not sure how much light it would have thrown back though as I would have needed to keep it well away out of the shot so as not to cover the first flame reflection. Bear in mind though that the light on the front of the 2 rear candle holders are thrown from the light in front. Having said all that, it was just a quick 10 minute play and nothing too serious.
Appreciate you commenting as always, George.

Thanks

When shooting the moon with my scope, I am amazed how much detail I can see, translating that into an image isn't that easy.....

Very nice Fujigraph Sir, really liking the mono presentation with just a touch of grittiness about it, very much like Tri-X film.(y)

“If you don’t mind me saying it looks like you’ve got a dust bunny on your sensor, showing just above the tree on the far left’

George.
Thanks very much for your comment, George. Yes, I noticed the spot after I had posted it. Must get round to doing something about it! I think it's the first bunny I've seen on any of my Fujis.

Back