The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Wonder if anyone who has used an X-T2 and X-T3 could offer some genuine user experience on the relative abilities to track fast moving subjects.

It's been a year or so since I sold my X-T2 and I'm starting to have an urge to pick up another Fuji. But in the year that's passed we have acquired a high speed dalmation and the kids haven't slowed down much either! I'd like a camera that can keep up.

One of the slight frustrations that I had with my X-T2 was that I never felt 100% confident in the AF-C system. It seemed capable enough when everything was set right but I missed a lot of stuff working out what mode may or may not be right for the subject. One thing I've come to appreciate about my Nikon DSLR's is that generally the focusing can be used as 'one size fits all'. I basically never need to change anything whatever I'm shooting. Downside is that they're charmless, bulky cameras. Great tools but not inspiring to use.

I'm fairly new (6 months) to the X-T3 but my experience isn't particularly good unfortunately. I have been a Nikon person for many years namely D300 / D800 and really like the output from these. I shoot a lot of motorsports for my own use really but to me the Fuji just doesn't cut it. The viewfinder is too slow to come to life so I'm missing a lot of shots compared to the Nikons. The focus tracking is also very jerky in the viewfinder when panning so I'm finding it hard to track properly. I have just invested in some UHS-II cards to see if things improve but I don't feel that will solve anything in terms of viewfinder woes. I shot a motorcycle track day yesterday and ended up putting the Fuji away because it was annoying me.
Before anyone asks, I was using the tracking focus facility.

IMHO keep the Nikon, hire the X-T3, try it and make your own mind up.

For other stuff however the Fuji is fine. I really appreciate the weight etc which is why I bought it in the first place and the lenses seem very good although the 55-200 kept crashing the camera last week which is why I'm trying the high speed cards.

I'm fairly new (6 months) to the X-T3 but my experience isn't particularly good unfortunately. I have been a Nikon person for many years namely D300 / D800 and really like the output from these. I shoot a lot of motorsports for my own use really but to me the Fuji just doesn't cut it. The viewfinder is too slow to come to life so I'm missing a lot of shots compared to the Nikons. The focus tracking is also very jerky in the viewfinder when panning so I'm finding it hard to track properly. I have just invested in some UHS-II cards to see if things improve but I don't feel that will solve anything in terms of viewfinder woes. I shot a motorcycle track day yesterday and ended up putting the Fuji away because it was annoying me.
Before anyone asks, I was using the tracking focus facility.

IMHO keep the Nikon, hire the X-T3, try it and make your own mind up.

For other stuff however the Fuji is fine. I really appreciate the weight etc which is why I bought it in the first place and the lenses seem very good although the 55-200 kept crashing the camera last week which is why I'm trying the high speed cards.
Can’t understand this at all. Plenty of world class motorsport photographers using XT-2, XT-3 & XH-1.

Can’t understand this at all. Plenty of world class motorsport photographers using XT-2, XT-3 & XH-1.

I dunno about being "World Class" (maybe just pretty good :)) but we as a company have never had a problem with any of the Fuji units and we shoot all kinds of Motor Sport with them including the PR work for three F1 teams.

George.

Last edited:

Well I have to say it..... You're not really using the right kit are you? the 50-140 or 100-400 is really what I would expect anybody who is serious to use. The 50-140 tracks pretty quick, I've used it at a few Mini Challenge events and a BSB round without issue. The 100-400, X-T2, and grip, (note, not even a T3) have also been fine.

I have no issue with a "jittery" EVF either, so I would expect much better on a T3.

I found for motorsport it does take a bit of getting used to as the viewfinder is quite different to what we're used to

I've got the XT-3 with 50-140mm and I have one of the high speed cards and a normal one and I have noticed a difference, either with how long a burst or with how quickly I can start to review the photos before the next car comes along :)

I have seen a few frame update issues in the viewfinder like you've mentioned not sure which card slot I was using at the time if it is related

Last edited:
Well I have to say it..... You're not really using the right kit are you? the 50-140 or 100-400 is really what I would expect anybody who is serious to use. The 50-140 tracks pretty quick, I've used it at a few Mini Challenge events and a BSB round without issue. The 100-400, X-T2, and grip, (note, not even a T3) have also been fine.

I have no issue with a "jittery" EVF either, so I would expect much better on a T3.

I can't afford any more lenses at the moment but would have thought the 55-200 should have coped OK. Im going to see if the higher speed cards make a difference but I'm not too hopeful. I'm reluctant to invest any more to be honest, may just sell up and buy a Z6, at least I can use my existing Nikon kit.

Done it again, don't know if anyone else does it, but when putting the X-T3 away in its bag I have a habit of turning the camera on and drain the batteries, looks like I am going to have to alter the power settings so it turns off after a while.

Done it again, don't know if anyone else does it, but when putting the X-T3 away in its bag I have a habit of turning the camera on and drain the batteries, looks like I am going to have to alter the power settings so it turns off after a while.

I don't know how you manage that, and I tend to shoot, turn off, turn on, shoot.... Then obviously it's off when it goes in the bag (mine turns itself off after a while anyway).

It`s happened to me a couple of time, but now, i`m used to making sure it`s turned off. Same shooting method as Steve, too. Shoot > off, On > shoot etc etc (y)

All the Fuji gear is now packed away and ready for the house move.... No more pictures for a week or so :oops: :$:confused:

Where wildlife photography is concerned I have always wanted to capture a image of the beautiful Gannets, and at the age of 65yrs I fulfilled my ambition on Tuesday on my return home from a days trip to Whitby on the Monday.
I stopped off at Bempton Cliffs with my wonderful career who was so supportive in helping me on getting to the location to be able to get this image.
It is far from anything outstanding image wise but a overwhelming delight due to my disabilities.
Armed with my Fuji X-H1 and my XF 100-400mm lens a day XF 2x converter for extra reach where required.
I captured this shot and it’s thanks to the Fujifilm IBIS and lens stabilisation technology :):fuji:
Gannets by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

Last edited:
All the Fuji gear is now packed away and ready for the house move.... No more pictures for a week or so :oops: :$:confused:
:( Hope all goes well with your move and you are soon back shooting again :)(y)

Done to death.......yes!
Still love it as a peace of victorian engineering.......definitely!

If you look closely on the run up to the first cantilever you will see a long straight ghostly outline. This was a passing train as I took the long exposure.

Forth Bridge by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

This is my favourite of the great Victorian engineering constructions cracking image and hope to visit it once more later in the year if possible.
Cracking capture(y)

But ones a great lens and the other is exceptional!!!! GAS will get you in the end

I treated myself to a new lens at the weekend, been too busy re-vamping my home office to try it much, but have taken a few test shots, pretty pleased with it, the colour and bokeh rendering are spot on (IMHO), the only problem is now that I'm 2 lenses above my self imposed target of 5 lenses (but still way short of the frankly stupid 11 that I owned at one point!)....time to cull shortly.......

tcQpRPVh.jpg

'A' is for.....

YrKtdmkh.jpg

Daisy

5obM4Kth.jpg

Genie

Only 2 lenses above ?? Oh come on your not trying hard enough now :LOL:
I started with just a XPro1 and 2 primes 18mm & 27mm and thought I would stick with just primes added a Samyang 8mm f2.8 fisheye next.
But then made the mistake of going to a Calumet open day at Birmingham and put the XF 56mm f1.2R on my camera body and fell in love with the quality.
Then I thought perhaps a general zoom for walkabouts or hobble in my case :ROFLMAO:
So I added XF 18-135mm (y) impressed with image quality and wondered if zooms might be a better choice and route to go ?
So Pleased I went for a XF10-24mm and then the XF 100-400mm with XF 1.4x
Yipee that was it.
sell my two original primes keep 8mm fisheye XF 56mm and 3 zooms and I’m covered :)(y)
Oh no I’m not how about macro ? Yes added XF 60mm f2.4 macro and some third party tubes.
And so it goes on now have 8 zooms and 14 XF Fuji primes plus Samyang and 2 Ziess Touit Tubes and 2XF converters.
And a part time Sherpa :lock: me up !
so much for a 5 lens limit and I’m not going to mention the number of bodies.
But what I can say is downsizing has NOT ! really saved much weight :(

Last edited:
I've previously owned the 56, and I've owned the 16 for nearly 2 years!!! Anyway 'Z' is for....

c2xUAjRh.jpg

I going through a bit of a colour rendition phase, and that combined with the smooth bokeh and the build quality (and the fact I got a good it at a good price) persuaded me to part with my hard earned, its the 32mm F1.8, I'm probably the only one on the forum with one, funnily enough I never really got on with the 35mm F1.4, but this feels just right!!!

A bit of Ziess is nice ;)
I have the 12mm f 2.8 and have the 50mm f2.8 macro Touit :)(y)

Wow!! Though if something looks too good to be true... anyone bought from here - safely?

Yes purchased lenses and flash from them :)(y) excellent service !

Anyone used the 50-230... had originally discounted this lens but getting this rather than the 55-200 saves a fair bit. Occasionally had the 70-200 on Nikon (2.8 & 4) but sold them as rarely used, so most of the time I didn't have that range. I did though have Tamron 150-600, 300mm f4 and the 200-500 f5.6 for aircraft and this is where this lens will be used most of the time. 100-400 out of budget for me at the moment as other lenses will get more use. The speed is not a concern, as normally shoot at f8-f11 to get the right shutter speed and normally only go when nice and sunny!

Yes I have used and still have one stunning quality for he price.
Sadly mine blew over on a tripod athe beach and sheared off the plastic mount.
I got a lot stimateto repair butI could buy another new one for a extra £25 hence its sat ina drawer atm.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it or the shorter XC 16-50mm they both represent fantastic value and quality image capability.

I can't afford any more lenses at the moment but would have thought the 55-200 should have coped OK. Im going to see if the higher speed cards make a difference but I'm not too hopeful. I'm reluctant to invest any more to be honest, may just sell up and buy a Z6, at least I can use my existing Nikon kit.
The 55-200 is a lovely lens but it's not made for speed. It was the first lens I bought with my xt1 after making the switch for a Nikon D800. I would suggest renting the 50-140 lens and giving it a go.

Where wildlife photography is concerned I have always wanted to capture a image of the beautiful Gannets, and at the age of 65yrs I fulfilled my ambition on Tuesday on my return home from a days trip to Whitby on the Monday.
I stopped off at Bempton Cliffs with my wonderful career who was so supportive in helping me on getting to the location to be able to get this image.
It is far from anything outstanding image wise but a overwhelming delight due to my disabilities.
Armed with my Fuji X-H1 and my XF 100-400mm lens a day XF 2x converter for extra reach where required.
I captured this shot and it’s thanks to the Fujifilm IBIS and lens stabilisation technology :):fuji:

Nice! I'd love the 100-400, couldn't justify it though for the handful of times I might make good use of it [that and I can't afford it or I'd probably have it anyways] - I do consider adapting a third party 100-400 though, as I have the AF adapter already. The Tamron one os supposedly decent and 1/3rd the price of the Fuji.

What flash units are out there that wont cost the earth but are better than the small pop up supplied with the camera, I really don't want to spend a fortune as it may only get used once a year so the Fuji one is out.

What flash units are out there that wont cost the earth but are better than the small pop up supplied with the camera, I really don't want to spend a fortune as it may only get used once a year so the Fuji one is out.

You won't go wrong with the godox TT350F. on Amazon for £69

Be aware that the 350F is a "mini" flash with a guide no. of only 36, so not all that powerful. It all depends what you intend using the flash for...
Good review of it here
I'd be inclined to spend a little more for aflash with more power. Godox are excellent.

There is something rewarding about getting a shot that you have wanted for a long time. I visited Whipsnade at least twice a year in the hope of capturing a decent shot of a Red Panda, and they were always high in the trees. We returned last March to find them feeding low down and after about a 40 minute wait, I got the shot I wanted.... It's a great feeling when you get home, import into Lightroom and see you've got what you wanted...

Never been to Bempton, but I keep telling the Mrs we need to go. Great shot, and pleased you got it....

Be aware that the 350F is a "mini" flash with a guide no. of only 36, so not all that powerful. It all depends what you intend using the flash for...
Good review of it here
I'd be inclined to spend a little more for aflash with more power. Godox are excellent.

A fair point indeed. I suggested it based upon OPs desire to not spend too much and that anything will be better than the little flash that comes as standard with the camera.

The only other one I would suggest then is the godox TT685F which can be had for a smidgen less than £100

Last edited by a moderator:

I went with the Godax TT350F X1TF Trigger just under the £100 mark off ebay lovely little gun :) Infact i purchased a 2nd one :)
Ive not found it to be lacking for the odd shot or 2.

Last edited:
There is something rewarding about getting a shot that you have wanted for a long time. I visited Whipsnade at least twice a year in the hope of capturing a decent shot of a Red Panda, and they were always high in the trees. We returned last March to find them feeding low down and after about a 40 minute wait, I got the shot I wanted.... It's a great feeling when you get home, import into Lightroom and see you've got what you wanted...

Never been to Bempton, but I keep telling the Mrs we need to go. Great shot, and pleased you got it....

There certainly is a great feeling and yes you must go to Bempton and take the Mrs Im sure she will enjoy it as well.

I have a couple of the little fiji EF-X20 flashes, Both bought second hand on Ebay, one at the usual going rate, and the other for only£8 as they said it was not working. ( the contact spring had become depressed, and was duly stretched with a pair of forceps, and then worked just fine)
what I like about them is they are tiny and take up no space at all even with a spare set of AAA eneloop batteries. They might be small but are just fine when used as fill flash in the sun, or in domestic rooms. iuse them on the camera, on a flash bracket with a canon sync cord for Ettl or with a little basic wireless transmitter. all very easy.
And very easy to adjust in either manual or auto with a single large dial.
I can of course, also use any of my canon flashes, on manual, either directly or as wireless slaves.
But I rarely use flash for other than fill these days.

Lovely image

A fair point indeed. I suggested it based upon OPs desire to not spend too much and that anything will be better than the little flash that comes as standard with the camera.

The only other one I would suggest then is the godox TT685F which can be had for a smidgen less than £100
I second the suggestion regarding the 685 - I have two of them and am extremely pleased with them on all counts.

Back