The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

yeah, Fringer. wasn't impressed but after checking firmware -camera was on original firmware and adapter was a few behind too. working much, much better now.

I update any adapter I buy from the off to give it a fair shout. I thought the fringer was great, and I only used it with cheap old lenses.

Can anyone ID this spider? Spotted on the garden wall other day, seen similar just a few times - looks a little more menacing than the usual orb weavers I tend to get in droves around the garden. Don't think this one is much of a bush dweller, this was closer to the rear of the garage. Shot here using the 16mm, massive crop, but I had to get a little closer than I'd like, lens was almost touching it - was a bit wary it might jump at me :D - spider was about 1.5 inches span
DSCF3340 by K G, on Flickr

false widow?

false widow?

That's what I thought, spotted another in the garage that had more of a pattern on it's rear. This means there could be a number of them in there ... argh! Apparently harmless enough so long as they don't creep up your leg, only bite when threatened

That's what I thought, spotted another in the garage that had more of a pattern on it's rear. This means there could be a number of them in there ... argh! Apparently harmless enough so long as they don't creep up your leg, only bite when threatened

There are loads of them here. Never seen so many before. Shame I don't have a macro lens..

There are loads of them here. Never seen so many before. Shame I don't have a macro lens..

According to the 'experts' on FB it's just a house spider, I'll need to get pics of the one I seen out front hanging about the window. That one has a pattern on it's body and looks a bit sharper, fr want of a better description. Spiders don't generally bother me once they keep to themselves, rather them than a tonne of flies about the place

Last edited:
I feel like I’m almost being bad-mannered by not buying one at that price. :) I’ve got the 35f2 though. The 27mm is a bit too close. That’s how I’m talking myself out of it anyway...:p

Probably been asked a million times but....

...recommendations for XT2 spare battery?

50 quid seems a bit harsh for Fuji-made as I’m quite good at milking battery life, so a spare is a ‘just in case.’ (Famous last words.) Duracell look reasonably priced.

I got a genuine on Amazon for £39 recently. Had tried 3rd party but noticed the camera got VERY hot so sent them back. Its a 1k+ camera, no point in risking that for the sake of a few quid.

I managed over 1k shots at an airshow on one and a half batteries.

I update any adapter I buy from the off to give it a fair shout. I thought the fringer was great, and I only used it with cheap old lenses.
Having just bought a 2nd hand xt10 what do you mean by updating the adapter as I have a couple on order and I thought I just bunged them on (plus do a bit in the menu system to let the camera know) and away I went. Not the case?

Having just bought a 2nd hand xt10 what do you mean by updating the adapter as I have a couple on order and I thought I just bunged them on (plus do a bit in the menu system to let the camera know) and away I went. Not the case?

For 'dummy' adapters you don't need to do anything bar what you said, set the focal length - there's no cpu data transfer. I meant for AF adapters that have full data and controls, like the fringer pro or Viltrox EF-FX

For 'dummy' adapters you don't need to do anything bar what you said, set the focal length - there's no cpu data transfer. I meant for AF adapters that have full data and controls, like the fringer pro or Viltrox EF-FX
The AF adapters sound interesting, need to investigate.
OK, thanks.

Last edited:
The AF adapters sound interesting, need to investigate.
OK, thanks.

They're pretty good, opens up a lot of possibilities. Canon have a vast back catalogue and plenty of decent but cheap gems and the used market is full of bargains. The fringer adapter is expensive, but the the best one. There's also the viltrox I mentioned, I think there was some niggles with the Fuji version (I had one for m43 and it was decent) but afaik it has been updated a number of times. Have a look into it at least.

Finally clicked checkout on the 50mm F2. Thought I better do it now as they only had the one copy left and the 20% is still on at CJ. £303 inc delivery, so a fair bit better than MPB are looking for atm - £60 more with delivery!

For any of you new to Fuji this might be of interest if your looking for a portrait or a dual purpose lens.
https://www.fujivsfuji.com/60mm-f2pt4-vs-56mm-f1pt2

2 lenses I have also looked at. The 60 is known to be a bit slow, but is probably fast enough for the type of shooting I do. I wish it was 1:1 though to make it really versatile. I also went in search of a cheap copy of the 56mm, there was one on MPB going for a really good price but there was marks on the front element and I know that would irritate me. Went for the 50F2 in the end for speed, weather resistance and it is also one of Fuji's sharpest ever lenses [according to lenstip] it's about the same price as the 60mm used. I'll get a step up ring for it so I can slap the Raynox on and get 1:2, much like the 60 :)

They're pretty good, opens up a lot of possibilities. Canon have a vast back catalogue and plenty of decent but cheap gems and the used market is full of bargains. The fringer adapter is expensive, but the the best one. There's also the viltrox I mentioned, I think there was some niggles with the Fuji version (I had one for m43 and it was decent) but afaik it has been updated a number of times. Have a look into it at least.
I've been a Canon shooter for years, so I have some older FD lenses and a few newer EF lenses so the fringer looks very interesting. I didn't buy the Fuji with the intention of mounting my EF lenses but the (fringer) adapter does make it very tempting. I tend to be concerned about the value/weight of the 5D3 and the 3 lenses I generally take out with me (all L series) so the idea behind the Fuji was to lighten the load by using a small Fuji zoom (for holiday snaps etc) and to lessen the value and not have to lug around all the FF Canon kit. I am happy the Fuji has done that, but the idea of maybe using the L series on the Fuji body has started to become interesting, I thought I'd use my FD lenses in manual mode which would again give me a light load in terms of value and weight, so lots of possibilities. I've also ordered a telescope adapter because my mount would struggle with the 5D3.
One additional feature I think I will find usefull is controlling the camera remotely, especially on the scope when combined with the built in intervalometer.

All in all I'm beginning to like this move.

Last edited:
I've been a Canon shooter for years, so I have some older FD lenses and a few newer EF lenses so the fringer looks very interesting. I didn't buy the Fuji with the intention of mounting my EF lenses but the (fringer) adapter does make it very tempting.

I had the Viltrox for M43, was messing about with a couple cheap EF/S lenses on there, as with the X-H1, every lens I was attaching suddenly gets OIS :) So the likes of the 50mm 1.8 STM and the 85 1.8 USM were now stabilized, something you can't get on Canon bodies. I also found the 55-250 pretty good for shooting birds and even for macro with attachments so I got plenty of value out of such a cheap lens. When I switched back to Fuji I bought the fringer on a local used site before I even ordered the camera. I did get it for a good price and still had a couple EF-S lenses so it made sense. There's nothing to lose if you already have a few lenses to go with

I had the Viltrox for M43, was messing about with a couple cheap EF/S lenses on there, as with the X-H1, every lens I was attaching suddenly gets OIS :) So the likes of the 50mm 1.8 STM and the 85 1.8 USM were now stabilized, something you can't get on Canon bodies. I also found the 55-250 pretty good for shooting birds and even for macro with attachments so I got plenty of value out of such a cheap lens. When I switched back to Fuji I bought the fringer on a local used site before I even ordered the camera. I did get it for a good price and still had a couple EF-S lenses so it made sense. There's nothing to lose if you already have a few lenses to go with
Seriously thinking about the non Pro version as I don't mind controlling the aperture from the camera, particularly as the reviews suggest the adapter aperture ring is a bit awkward anyway.
My Canon lens collection is quite large :) both EF and EF-s (my wife has an old 50D that's in good nick which was mine until I got the 5D3, but she's been looking at the Fuji already)

Last edited:
Seriously thinking about the non Pro version as I don't mind controlling the aperture from the camera, particularly as the reviews suggest the adapter aperture ring is a bit awkward anyway.
My Canon lens collection is quite large :) both EF and EF-s (my wife has an old 50D that's in good nick which was mine until I got the 5D3, but she's been looking at the Fuji already)

Definitely worth it in that case. I found the aperture ring ok on the pro, it is a bit tucked in but I was able to control it with my left pinky when cupping the lens. You can just set the front dial to work aperture of course.

That's very generous of you cheers, will bear that in mind :)

I think the problem is, or at least was, they didn't always deliver via the UK, or of they didn't have stock in the UK it was shipped from China. And even a hint of Chinese lettering on a package would have customs rubbing their scrawny mitts together. If it arrives from the UK then all would be fine, but how do I know when ordering? Contact them first I guess?

Just took delivery from DHL - Domestic Express - of my new Z6 kit, plus 14-30 lens, XQD card + Reader. All discreetly packaged in brown box, point of origin was E-Star Logistics, West Ealing UK, content marked as Camera Lenses, zero trace of Chinese lettering. As before, kept informed of progress by E-Infinity, sent picture of items just prior to packaging, then sent image of packaging label. Cannot fault their service, it's first-class.

Off to read my Z6 manual now! :)

2 lenses I have also looked at. The 60 is known to be a bit slow, but is probably fast enough for the type of shooting I do. I wish it was 1:1 though to make it really versatile. I also went in search of a cheap copy of the 56mm, there was one on MPB going for a really good price but there was marks on the front element and I know that would irritate me. Went for the 50F2 in the end for speed, weather resistance and it is also one of Fuji's sharpest ever lenses [according to lenstip] it's about the same price as the 60mm used. I'll get a step up ring for it so I can slap the Raynox on and get 1:2, much like the 60 :)

I put a cheap set of tubes on it and it's brilliant for Macro.

Just took delivery from DHL - Domestic Express - of my new Z6 kit, plus 14-30 lens, XQD card + Reader. All discreetly packaged in brown box, point of origin was E-Star Logistics, West Ealing UK, content marked as Camera Lenses, zero trace of Chinese lettering. As before, kept informed of progress by E-Infinity, sent picture of items just prior to packaging, then sent image of packaging label. Cannot fault their service, it's first-class.

Off to read my Z6 manual now! :)

Nice one, I am a bit jelly, the Z6 looks a great camera. It's the XQD cards and readers that turn me off a bit

I put a cheap set of tubes on it and it's brilliant for Macro.

On the 60mm? or the 50? - just checked CJ and mine has been dispatched :)

View attachment 254863
Got my new X-T3 yesterday (less than a week from e-infinity) and my fringer adapter. Waiting for the 16-80 to be released.

Have you updated to the latest firmware? Hos is the tele lens working on there?

Had a chance to have a quick play with the new 55-200. My usual test subject ;) I think I`m gonna like this lens :)

Test subject by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Looks great to me :) enjoy

Have you updated to the latest firmware? Hos is the tele lens working on
Yes, latest firmware on all, bought the fringer off eBay at the best place I could find and checked with Fringer that the serial number was legit. All working well, no problems at all with focus etc, but taking dog out later to test more on the tracking

Yeah, the 60. Using it with a short tube really does help for macro work

I was very tempted to buy one, there was one going in what looked like new condition for a very nice price locally. But I have a few [outdoor] events upcoming in later Autumn/early winter and the WR of the 50mm will come in handy. It rains a LOT here in the Irish midlands from Oct onward. I might just get an old vintage macro for that purpose as I only ever manual focus for macro anyway

I was very tempted to buy one, there was one going in what looked like new condition for a very nice price locally. But I have a few [outdoor] events upcoming in later Autumn/early winter and the WR of the 50mm will come in handy. It rains a LOT here in the Irish midlands from Oct onward. I might just get an old vintage macro for that purpose as I only ever manual focus for macro anyway

I think you made the right choice.
My memories of trying to manual focus with the 60mm are not fond ones. I'd much prefer an old manual lens for macro.

I think you made the right choice.
My memories of trying to manual focus with the 60mm are not fond ones. I'd much prefer an old manual lens for macro.

Yeah fly-by-wire is never really great for manual focusing. Some lenses do it better than others, usually the ones that have a clutch system are best. But you can't beat the manual focus on old classic MF lenses. They are specifically designed for precise close up MF, and they can be a joy to use. A nice break from speedy AF all the time

Last edited:
That's it!! NO MORE Q BUTTON! :D finally disabled that beyatch - I never use it but I'm constantly setting it off - and it's slow to get rid, you can miss shots because of it.

Here's how for anyone who is as irritated by the Q button as I've been: [X-H1, but I believe it's the same for X-T2 and maybe 3?]

Wrench menu
Button/Dial setting 3/3
Lock ---> lock setting ---> selected function
return to 'Function selected' - tick Q button on the list
DONE!

That's it!! NO MORE Q BUTTON! :D finally disabled that beyatch - I never use it but I'm constantly setting it off - and it's slow to get rid, you can miss shots because of it.

Here's how for anyone who is as irritated by the Q button as I've been: [X-H1, but I believe it's the same for X-T2 and maybe 3?]

Wrench menu
Button/Dial setting 3/3
Lock ---> lock setting ---> selected function
return to 'Function selected' - tick Q button on the list
DONE!
I could not do with out it, it has all my important settings on it
It is not a problem on the E 1 2 camaras except the E3 nor the T1 or 2 but the XT30 is a real pita.

SEE https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/fuji-x-q-button-solution.700967/

Last edited:
I could not do with out it, it has all my important settings on it

SEE https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/fuji-x-q-button-solution.700967/

Honestly I have never once used it intentionally. I have the cam set up just how I need it, have quick functions assigned to the D-Pad [which I also never use] and some on the touch screen. The Q button placement is one of the things I disliked the most, the camera is already feeling so much nicer - I'm not trying to be overly careful how I grip it in use :)

Honestly I have never once used it intentionally. I have the cam set up just how I need it, have quick functions assigned to the D-Pad [which I also never use] and some on the touch screen. The Q button placement is one of the things I disliked the most, the camera is already feeling so much nicer - I'm not trying to be overly careful how I grip it in use :)
on the X T30 you do not have a D pad.

on the X T30 you do not have a D pad.

AH yes of course, then it's handy to have the Q button - but they don't half place them awkwardly! I have seen somewhere a cover you can get that fits nicely over it. But I don't need it on at all. I have AF Mode, self-timer, eye/face detect on/off, and AF-C custom settings on the D-Pad and IS mode, spirit level, wi-fi and preview exp as swipes on the TS. Everything else I can do with the physical dials and wheels.

The XF50mm f2.0 is a great choice and far lighter than the two 56mm f1.2 that I have you won’t be disappointed with it whatsoever ever imo ! Not that it counts for much:ROFLMAO::LOL:

The XF50mm f2.0 is a great choice and far lighter than the two 56mm f1.2 that I have you won’t be disappointed with it whatsoever ever imo ! Not that it counts for much:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Of course it counts :) actual user opinions can be better than pro reviews, as I'm not into over technicalities when it comes to gear - for lens I just need to know is it fast/sharp/quiet, does it focus close enough etc - looking forward to trying it. I had the 35 F2 but sold it when I got the 16-55, after selling that then to get the 16 1.4 I always knew I'd either re-uy the 35 or try the 50. I prefer more of a gap between FL and 35 can be a bit boring. Also I've read the 50 is sharper and doesn't do that pulse in and out when acquiring focus like the 35, or at least not as bad

Back