The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hi guys, still battling with which way to go. I'm tempted to go back to an A7R2 purely based on this type file that I took a few years ago.
I'm thinking about buying the 80mm macro to go with the XT3.
I haven't had any luck with replicating these kind of results with the XT3, am I just not getting the best from it? or can it not really compete with the R2?
Changing is gonna cost me big time

DSC01598 by Darrin Roberts, on Flickr

Hi guys, still battling with which way to go. I'm tempted to go back to an A7R2 purely based on this type file that I took a few years ago.
I haven't had any luck with replicating these kind of results with the XT3, am I just not getting the best from it? or can it not really compete with the R2?

DSC01598 by Darrin Roberts, on Flickr

I don't see any reason why you can't achieve this type of image using Fuji, even the 60mm 2.4 should be well capable here, as this looks to be at a ratio greater than 1:2. Also, you shot this at 2.8 so only small sections of the butterfly are actually in focus. For macro you really want to be stopped down, f/8 - f/11 as DOF gets so thin the closer in you focus. Also looks to have been shot using the A7II rather than RII?

Out of curiosity, being that my H1 looked pretty spotless, I checked the shutter count, and even after a bunch of test shots ete etc it came up with a whopping 318 :)

Out of curiosity, being that my H1 looked pretty spotless, I checked the shutter count, and even after a bunch of test shots ete etc it came up with a whopping 318 :)
Wow, mine had 670 when I bought it, it seems bizarre that these are being sold after so little use.

I never checked mine when I first bought it, but it must have been pretty low too as I have it since last April and the count is still below 9K and it has gotten good use.

Wow, mine had 670 when I bought it, it seems bizarre that these are being sold after so little use.

I know, it`s crazy isn`t it. I guess they just made too many in kit form, and with the T3 coming so soon after, had a bit of a panic moment. But hey are we complaining? .... Erm nope :)

I know, it`s crazy isn`t it. I guess they just made too many in kit form, and with the T3 coming so soon after, had a bit of a panic moment. But hey are we complaining? .... Erm nope :)
Definitely not, I was torn between the 2 when I first bought the T3, now I have both I am very happy. I can't see me buying a T4 though, so I will either miss out on one iteration, or go for the H2 if it appears.

Yep you're right, it was the 7m2, had both at the time. Shot at 2.8 due to low light and no flash allowed if I remember rightly, was a few years ago now... looking at the files i have from both, I still don't seem to get the results from the XT3...
I don't see any reason why you can't achieve this type of image using Fuji, even the 60mm 2.4 should be well capable here, as this looks to be at a ratio greater than 1:2. Also, you shot this at 2.8 so only small sections of the butterfly are actually in focus. For macro you really want to be stopped down, f/8 - f/11 as DOF gets so thin the closer in you focus. Also looks to have been shot using the A7II rather than RII?

Yep you're right, it was the 7m2, had both at the time. Shot at 2.8 due to low light and no flash allowed if I remember rightly, was a few years ago now... looking at the files i have from both, I still don't seem to get the results from the XT3...

What lenses have you tried for macro with the T3? The Sony 90mm is apparently one of the best macro lenses on the market. I think the Fuji 80mm should be a good match for it though

Definitely not, I was torn between the 2 when I first bought the T3, now I have both I am very happy. I can't see me buying a T4 though, so I will either miss out on one iteration, or go for the H2 if it appears.

:) I`ll still use my T2, alongside the H, but probably use the H a little more as my only lenses with OS are the 55-200 and 80mm`s Looking at the chart, I should get 5 stops on my other lenses (14,23 and 56) so I`m happy.

I'm on the brink of buying the 80mm, just tried the Canon 100mm on a Fringer and didn't get on with it too well, just seemed a bit clunky and the working distance felt too long really.

The 90 on the Sony was a dream, as was the 85 GM, but the big money days have gone....
What lenses have you tried for macro with the T3? The Sony 90mm is apparently one of the best macro lenses on the market. I think the Fuji 80mm should be a good match for it though

I'm on the brink of buying the 80mm, just tried the Canon 100mm on a Fringer and didn't get on with it too well, just seemed a bit clunky and the working distance felt too long really.

The 90 on the Sony was a dream, as was the 85 GM, but the big money days have gone....

Why the 90 is like 500/600 used. How much is a used 80 or your 100l and Fringer?

Same here, I recently sold off all my Sony gear.... no rocking a Fuji point and shoot lol :p

If you want ultimate sharpness on fuji then the 80mm is your best bet.

A7r2 results are hard to give up, I know. Really sweet files.

Panamoz have the same warning on their site, delays due to high order levels
I bought my X-Pro 3 from Panamoz a couple of weeks back. It had the delay warning on the site then. I ordered on a Monday and it was delivered Friday if the same week. My first time using Panamoz , I was well impressed.

If cost is the issue your xt3 and 80 costs more than the a7ii and 90.

I can't see why not. I was shooting Canon FF when I swapped over to Fuji, and don't really miss it. You'll be amazed at what the Fuji can reproduce. This is a 100% crop of a shot taken on a T2 with the 100-400 & 1.4TC.

duck by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

So, the primes will be even better. The 80mm is razor sharp, I had one for a while but found I wasn't using it much. This is from the 80mm, although for some reason, I shot it at f22, so it's probably gone past it's sweet spot. (I was also processing my images differently then as well)

DSCF1506 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr.

One thing I have found with the Fuji is that to get critical focus, the subject needs to be about 40% of the viewfinder, otherwise it's a bit more hit & miss. The colour rendition of almost all of the lenses is great too.

Love this. Have you tried a mono conversion, think it would work well...
Thanks...no, was trying that with another image from the same walk, but good call, I'll give it a go with this.

Last edited:
Got the snap shot of my lens from einfinity so it should be on the move anytime

Back