The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

A few photos of my other passion :) As we are stuck inside so much I treated myself to something I have always wanted - a little tribute to Poison Ivy - although hers is a lot older !

50827930436_365b540bf8_k.jpg

50827930576_365843e5d4_k.jpg

50827186093_9a2c785652_k.jpg

I was going to say that sounds like the auto-white-balance getting it wrong occasionally, but looks like you sorted it out anyway. :)

The Auto White balance was getting it wrong when kitchen lights were on. Photos were a horrible bright orange, so I set custom WB and that did the trick. :)

Thinking of broadening my horizons from just landscape photography into wildlife shots. Anyone got an X-T3 and 100-400?

Interested in how it performs in low light dawn and dusk scenes, or is it a middle of the day lens given its max aperture.

Thinking of broadening my horizons from just landscape photography into wildlife shots. Anyone got an X-T3 and 100-400?

Interested in how it performs in low light dawn and dusk scenes, or is it a middle of the day lens given its max aperture.
It works as well as you would expect any combination of lens/body in low light. AF is always going to suffer as the light falls, but the 100-400 is as good as any lens I've owned in that zoom range.

I’ve today experienced the fabled Fuji service centre. I had a card slot issue develop in my T3 but due to work commitments in December I couldn’t send it off for repair (even though I’d booked it in late November!) so I worked with a single card (that’s taking myself out of my comfort zone I can tell you) anyway I called on Monday and explained my situation and the guy said it’s fine send it in with the packaging they’d supplied me in November. Received a text this morning saying it’s fixed and on its way back! They would have received it on Wednesday. That’s incredible service normally, let alone mid pandemic.

Hats off to them for the service

Forgot to come back to the thread. Received the body back on Saturday (!) with a complete overhaul, mainboard replaced (As they found a fault) and a service! Turnaround time from call to receiving back 5 days. Amazing service

I have just borrowed an X-E3 with the kit lens from a friend, I normally shoot with my Sony a7iii but fancied something a bit smaller for street and travel photography. I haven't had chance to take it out yet or play with it, what is the general census on this camera?

I have just borrowed an X-E3 with the kit lens from a friend, I normally shoot with my Sony a7iii but fancied something a bit smaller for street and travel photography. I haven't had chance to take it out yet or play with it, what is the general census on this camera?

It'll be a good little camera but if you're coming from an A73 I think you might find it a little on the slower side to begin with as it is about 4 years old. It's comparable to the X-T2 which is a great camera still so if you do find it slower then persevere and you'll have fun with it. If it's too slow then you might want something a bit beefier in terms of power like the X-T2 with power grip and boost mode, the X-T30 or X-T3 if you're planning to drop some cash. Otherwise the output from the X-E3 matches the X-T2 as I believe they're the same processors so you're in relatively good hands. When it comes to foliage though you will like see some mushyness which was somewhat resolved in later processors.

But nevermind all this. Go and have a play and make your own conclusions as only you know what would fit you best :)

Last edited:
I have the X-E2s which is the predecessor of the X-E3 and has the 16 Mpx sensor and I've also the X-Pro 2 which has the same sensor as the X-E3.

I've found the X-E2s is a superb small travel camera and I believe the X-E3 is even smaller. In many ways you're only missing the optical viewfinder option of the X-Pro 2 so it really comes down to how you like the Fuji ergonomics and colours. Personally I find the handling is great.....I like the rangefinder style as its well suited to travel and street photography.

The only caveat is the small size. You may find the the X-E3 too small for you if you've got big hands.

It'll be a good little camera but if you're coming from an A73 I think you might find it a little on the slower to begin with as it is about 4 years old. It's comparable to the X-T2 which is a great camera still so if you do find it slower then persevere and you'll have fun with it. If it's too slow then you might want something a bit beefier in terms of power like the X-T2 with power grip and boost mode, the X-T30 or X-T3 if you're planning to drop some cash. Otherwise the output from the X-E3 matches the X-T2 as I believe they're the same processors so you're in relatively good hands. When it comes to foliage though you will like see some mushyness which was somewhat resolved in later processors.

But nevermind all this. Go and have a play and make your own conclusions as only you know what would fit you best :)
I have the X-E2s which is the predecessor of the X-E3 and has the 16 Mpx sensor and I've also the X-Pro 2 which has the same sensor as the X-E3.

I've found the X-E2s is a superb small travel camera and I believe the X-E3 is even smaller. In many ways you're only missing the optical viewfinder option of the X-Pro 2 so it really comes down to how you like the Fuji ergonomics and colours. Personally I find the handling is great.....I like the rangefinder style as its well suited to travel and street photography.

The only caveat is the small size. You may find the the X-E3 too small for you if you've got big hands.

Thanks for the advice, I do like the fact it's small and lightweight, my a7iii is my go to camera but I'm only going to use the X-E3 for street and travel photography so it ticks all the right boxes, I cant wait to get out and use it;)

A few photos of my other passion :) As we are stuck inside so much I treated myself to something I have always wanted - a little tribute to Poison Ivy - although hers is a lot older !

50827930436_365b540bf8_k.jpg

50827930576_365843e5d4_k.jpg

50827186093_9a2c785652_k.jpg
That’s really nice. I have a G5124 in white with upgraded Magnatron pickups and tone pot harness from TV Jones. Well worth the upgrade

Forgot to come back to the thread. Received the body back on Saturday (!) with a complete overhaul, mainboard replaced (As they found a fault) and a service! Turnaround time from call to receiving back 5 days. Amazing service

It puts the big two to shame really. Such great service both times I've had to use them.

I have just moved to fuji from canon of 20 years for all my weddings and so far I'm very happy with my decision but I find a lot of the RAW files very pink or magenta . I don't have a custom white balance set as that's the first thing that comes up when I google my problem. Normally something like this is easy to correct with white balance and tint but Im struggling with it . white balance not so much but with tint . it seems to go from too pink to too green no matter how gentle I am with the slider, I can't get a happy medium . anyone else noticed this ? and if so did you find a cure? I assume the cure is somewhere else in the develop module

Maybe look at which colour profile you are using in LR ?

I am not a fan of the adobe colours

I have just moved to fuji from canon of 20 years for all my weddings and so far I'm very happy with my decision but I find a lot of the RAW files very pink or magenta . I don't have a custom white balance set as that's the first thing that comes up when I google my problem. Normally something like this is easy to correct with white balance and tint but Im struggling with it . white balance not so much but with tint . it seems to go from too pink to too green no matter how gentle I am with the slider, I can't get a happy medium . anyone else noticed this ? and if so did you find a cure? I assume the cure is somewhere else in the develop module
Have you tried using a grey card reading to set your colour values in post? I can't say I've ever noticed this problem with any of my Fuji cameras.

Have you tried using a grey card reading to set your colour values in post? I can't say I've ever noticed this problem with any of my Fuji cameras.

This ^ and never noticed a problem and I've had at least a dozen different Fuji X series bodies!

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at London UK of a very common sight these days of two people totally engrossed texting, possibly each other.

X-H1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/140th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Texting Each Other (2)-03497 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

yes I have, I carry one at every wedding. its maybe just the fuji thing and my eyes need to adjust lol but certain shots , especially outdoor portraits seem to have the problem most

X100V dudes I need help. I've not had the V that long but only just noticed the dust behind the lens on the black bit. I know dust gets in and that's fine but is the black bit sealed by the front element meaning that on assembly Fuji have trapped dust in that layer?

Or is the black bit a dust magnet it kept it away from the lens and sensor and it's gotten there through usage?

I'm just wondering what to do. If it was Fuji on assembly because that part is sealed off then for a £1200 camera I'd like it removed. Otherwise if it's a part that'll get dusty through use then I'll accept it.

20210114_203627.jpg

Hi folks
Please be gentle, but constructive! Long time "snapper" trying to get more serious about my photography, to which end I've recently purchased an X-S10 with 18-55 (my 'main' camera before this had been a Canon 100D (now sold) and briefly, a Canon 77D (also now gone) and I've also got a Panasonic FZ330 bridge.
Although I've been taking photos for years, my new found passion has got me scrutinising photos I take much more, especially as I can see I see from some of the stunning shots posted in this forum what can be achieved. One of the areas I'm having the most trouble with is sharpness/focus accuracy. As an example, please see the image below (forget anything about composition or angle, I just wanted a picture of my cat taken with the above gear at 1/160th f6.4

I 'think' that I have her face in focus, but you can see from the rest of the photo that the depth of field is not that wide (I'd intended the whole body to be in sharp focus). This is straight OOC.

I don't know if this is because:
  1. I've got the wrong/poor settings (quite possibly). I know a stopping down (or is it up) to a higher f number would have increased DOF but then I might have struggled with light. ISO was auto set at 800
  2. Poor technique camera shake etc - although perhaps less so because at least part of the photo seems fairly crisp and the camera has IBIS and the lens has OIS switched on (not that either of those would stop a particularly bad holding technique)
  3. Potential issues with the sharpness of the lens (given that there are multitudes of posts about varying sharpness of lenses even from the same make/model (I understand that the XF 18-55 2.8-4 is broadly accepted as a better than average kit lens, though not as good as a prime, so I'm slightly paranoid about whether this is a "soft" example.
Thank you for any advice and/or guidance in advance.

Simon

DSCF0451 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Hi folks
Please be gentle, but constructive! Long time "snapper" trying to get more serious about my photography, to which end I've recently purchased an X-S10 with 18-55 (my 'main' camera before this had been a Canon 100D (now sold) and briefly, a Canon 77D (also now gone) and I've also got a Panasonic FZ330 bridge.
Although I've been taking photos for years, my new found passion has got me scrutinising photos I take much more, especially as I can see I see from some of the stunning shots posted in this forum what can be achieved. One of the areas I'm having the most trouble with is sharpness/focus accuracy. As an example, please see the image below (forget anything about composition or angle, I just wanted a picture of my cat taken with the above gear at 1/160th f6.4

I 'think' that I have her face in focus, but you can see from the rest of the photo that the depth of field is not that wide (I'd intended the whole body to be in sharp focus). This is straight OOC.

1. I've got the wrong/poor settings (quite possibly). I know a stopping down (or is it up) to a higher f number would have increased DOF but then I might have struggled with light. ISO was auto set at 800
  2. Poor technique camera shake etc - although perhaps less so because at least part of the photo seems fairly crisp and the camera has IBIS and the lens has OIS switched on (not that either of those would stop a particularly bad holding technique)
  3. Potential issues with the sharpness of the lens (given that there are multitudes of posts about varying sharpness of lenses even from the same make/model (I understand that the XF 18-55 2.8-4 is broadly accepted as a better than average kit lens, though not as good as a prime, so I'm slightly paranoid about whether this is a "soft" example.

Simon

Welcome to the house of Fuji fun, Simon (y)

I just popped on to flickr, and sharpness wise, iy looks fint to me. You might want to think about a lower (eye level) perspective with pets. I know I have to with my cat. Otherwise the possibility of a messy BG can spoil anice image.

Hi folks

Simon

You don’t say what focal length you had the lens set to. At 18mm with the cat about 1.5 m away at 6.4 your depth of field would be about 2 metres but at 55mm it will only be about 15 cm. Given the cat is at an angle to the focal plane I would imagine it is a depth of field issue related to focal length. Just a guess from the information available.

Does anybody have any hints for filming? Specifically focusing?

I made a film with my son as part of his schoolwork, I had my X-T2 mounted on a tripod, with my usual photographing kids settings f2.8, auto shutter and ISO, with AF set to "C". However the focus is all over the place. Should I have just set it to "M", and left it? Maybe with a smaller aperture?
Had another opportunity to shoot video today, set the lens at F4, manually focussed on my son and the resulting clip was much cleaner.

Hi folks

Simon

Well, considering you're just starting with it I'd say you didn't do badly. :)

Back