The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I have just moved to fuji from canon of 20 years for all my weddings and so far I'm very happy with my decision but I find a lot of the RAW files very pink or magenta . I don't have a custom white balance set as that's the first thing that comes up when I google my problem. Normally something like this is easy to correct with white balance and tint but Im struggling with it . white balance not so much but with tint . it seems to go from too pink to too green no matter how gentle I am with the slider, I can't get a happy medium . anyone else noticed this ? and if so did you find a cure? I assume the cure is somewhere else in the develop module
I find my Viltrox lens has a pink tinge with my X-T3, and understand what you mean trying to achieve the right balance so it's not too green etc.

I find my Viltrox lens has a pink tinge with my X-T3, and understand what you mean trying to achieve the right balance so it's not too green etc.
Now there's a thought .....I didn't pay enough attention if it's the lighting conditions or a specific lens . But yeah trying to correct it is a nightmare

Hi folks
Please be gentle, but constructive! Long time "snapper" trying to get more serious about my photography, to which end I've recently purchased an X-S10 with 18-55 (my 'main' camera before this had been a Canon 100D (now sold) and briefly, a Canon 77D (also now gone) and I've also got a Panasonic FZ330 bridge.
Although I've been taking photos for years, my new found passion has got me scrutinising photos I take much more, especially as I can see I see from some of the stunning shots posted in this forum what can be achieved. One of the areas I'm having the most trouble with is sharpness/focus accuracy. As an example, please see the image below (forget anything about composition or angle, I just wanted a picture of my cat taken with the above gear at 1/160th f6.4

I 'think' that I have her face in focus, but you can see from the rest of the photo that the depth of field is not that wide (I'd intended the whole body to be in sharp focus). This is straight OOC.

I don't know if this is because:
  1. I've got the wrong/poor settings (quite possibly). I know a stopping down (or is it up) to a higher f number would have increased DOF but then I might have struggled with light. ISO was auto set at 800
  2. Poor technique camera shake etc - although perhaps less so because at least part of the photo seems fairly crisp and the camera has IBIS and the lens has OIS switched on (not that either of those would stop a particularly bad holding technique)
  3. Potential issues with the sharpness of the lens (given that there are multitudes of posts about varying sharpness of lenses even from the same make/model (I understand that the XF 18-55 2.8-4 is broadly accepted as a better than average kit lens, though not as good as a prime, so I'm slightly paranoid about whether this is a "soft" example.
The fact that the face is sharply in focus rules out 2 and 3. In my opinion it’s purely down to depth of field which is accentuated by the closeness of the subject.

Hi folks
Please be gentle, but constructive! Long time "snapper" trying to get more serious about my photography, to which end I've recently purchased an X-S10 with 18-55 (my 'main' camera before this had been a Canon 100D (now sold) and briefly, a Canon 77D (also now gone) and I've also got a Panasonic FZ330 bridge.
Although I've been taking photos for years, my new found passion has got me scrutinising photos I take much more, especially as I can see I see from some of the stunning shots posted in this forum what can be achieved. One of the areas I'm having the most trouble with is sharpness/focus accuracy. As an example, please see the image below (forget anything about composition or angle, I just wanted a picture of my cat taken with the above gear at 1/160th f6.4

I 'think' that I have her face in focus, but you can see from the rest of the photo that the depth of field is not that wide (I'd intended the whole body to be in sharp focus). This is straight OOC.

I don't know if this is because:
  1. I've got the wrong/poor settings (quite possibly). I know a stopping down (or is it up) to a higher f number would have increased DOF but then I might have struggled with light. ISO was auto set at 800
  2. Poor technique camera shake etc - although perhaps less so because at least part of the photo seems fairly crisp and the camera has IBIS and the lens has OIS switched on (not that either of those would stop a particularly bad holding technique)
  3. Potential issues with the sharpness of the lens (given that there are multitudes of posts about varying sharpness of lenses even from the same make/model (I understand that the XF 18-55 2.8-4 is broadly accepted as a better than average kit lens, though not as good as a prime, so I'm slightly paranoid about whether this is a "soft" example.
Thank you for any advice and/or guidance in advance.

Simon

DSCF0451 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Thanks for all the replies on this. Looks like more practice and improving my understanding of focal length, DOF et
Ta very much!

I like the colours on the cinematic version but prefer the blacks on the original (on my monitor at least!).

I like the colours on the cinematic version but prefer the blacks on the original (on my monitor at least!).

I don't disagree, I like both versions for different reasons, the blacks are not as deep on the 'cinematic' version, I could have a further 'play' - something I might revisit in the future - along with the same shot in a film camera with Cinestill 800T

I know, I know, another picture of my dog - but she is with me on all my walks and I love photographing her. I live within walking distance to the beach so this is a popular route
X-T3 + Viltrox 23
Walk along the beach by Donna White, on Flickr
Beautiful, wonderful to see sand, sea, blue sky and a Happy Dog. Made me smile that has, can't wait to walk along the beach again soon.
Cheers

I treated myself to an upgrade from the xt100 with the xt30, enjoying it so far. I thought it is a good time to force myself to try and learn manual settings too. I do miss the articulating touch screen from the x-t100 which helped the low down portrait oriented shots. I have noticed a big improvement in the autofocus performance, and general performance of the camera. There's less lag between clicking the shutter and the photo, and handheld low light shots seem to come out crisper.

These were all taken on the xf 18-55 lens.

DSCF0292 by Tom A, on Flickr

DSCF0396 by Tom A, on Flickr

DSCF0287 by Tom A, on Flickr

DSCF0379 by Tom A, on Flickr

DSCF0403 by Tom A, on Flickr

I treated myself to an upgrade from the xt100 with the xt30, enjoying it so far. I thought it is a good time to force myself to try and learn manual settings too. I do miss the articulating touch screen from the x-t100 which helped the low down portrait oriented shots. I have noticed a big improvement in the autofocus performance, and general performance of the camera. There's less lag between clicking the shutter and the photo, and handheld low light shots seem to come out crisper.

These were all taken on the xf 18-55 lens.

DSCF0292 by Tom A, on Flickr

DSCF0396 by Tom A, on Flickr

DSCF0287 by Tom A, on Flickr

DSCF0379 by Tom A, on Flickr

DSCF0403 by Tom A, on Flickr

Nice one Tom. They still have your signature.

Been away from the forum and photography for a good while now and found a love of Horology (no cheaper than photography sadly!). Been editing JPEG via Snapseed on mobile for Facebook and IG, however found a little time today to edit a couple of shots of my latest acquisitions, comments and criticism welcome as usual :)

X100F+WCL+ProMist1/4 - Barely touched for editing, RAW->Fuji Vivid, Noise Reduction (Dfine)(shot at ISO1600) and Crop

Shell Station
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Both of these are lovely jubbly. The cinematic version gives me Stranger Things vibes due to the colours. How are you getting on with the pro mist? I've been seeing a lot of these being mentioned (as BPM) on the Facebook groups and have been thinking of one myself. Mind if I ask which one you have please?

Both of these are lovely jubbly. The cinematic version gives me Stranger Things vibes due to the colours. How are you getting on with the pro mist? I've been seeing a lot of these being mentioned (as BPM) on the Facebook groups and have been thinking of one myself. Mind if I ask which one you have please?

I have the Tiffen Black Pro Mist 1/4 - I ordered it from Tiffen in the USA, they dispatched it quickly but then it spent 6 weeks in the US postal service before it actually left the USA!!

I’ve not really had much chance to use it yet, but quite impressed with what I’ve seen so far. There are obviously different strengths available but must people seem to say don’t go too strong for stills, the higher strengths are for video.

Moment have just launched their Cinebloom range, but I’ve read some where that their 10% is equivalent to Tiffens 1/2 - There is also a new range from Formatt Hitech, although readily available these are in large ring sizes - I only wanted 48mm to start with fir the X100 and X100+WCL

Testing out using off camera flash.

View attachment 304352View attachment 304353

Really want to explore portraiture more. Love the black and white moody type headshots.

Anyone have any good books/YouTube channels/podcasts they would recommend for me to dive into? Doesn’t have to be specifically portraiture..

Note: Both models hated that I was shoving a giant octobox with flash in their face at 9pm at night. No idea why?
Love the doggy shot

well my fuji love has hit its first speed bump.

out for my mandated walk yesterday with xt30 tucked safely in my coat pocket . Got to one of Norwichs classic insta locations, the light was nice and for once there were no annoying cars etc

Grabbed the camera

And

Nothing

EVF and rear screen totally dead. I can hear the lens power up when the camera on but otherwise no sign of life :(

Got home and the camera was quite warm despite being off and the rear screen has a backlit sheen but nothing displayed

Tried swapping batteries, lenses and sd card but still firmly in dead parrot territory

Guess I get to try out the WEX warranty

I feel compelled to write about my experience with Fujifilm UK repair service.

I booked a lens in for repair last Thursday, the box and packaging arrived on Friday, which I duly packaged and sent off straight away at my local post office. I had an email first thing this morning saying that the lens had been received - I had another email this afternoon saying that the repair had been complete and the lens has been sent back. I had another email just now from the couriier to say it will be delivered tomorrow!

wow! that is absolutely fantastic service and I couldn't possibly ask for anything more. Great job by the folks at Fujifilm UK, makes me realise that my decision to move to Fujifilm was absolutely correct on so many levels.

Had similar with my X-10. The camera was actually out of warranty but had had the same fault repaired 11 months before it resurfaced so it had another 12 months of warranty added. Been fine ever since, although I now use the X-30 more.

I feel compelled to write about my experience with Fujifilm UK repair service.

I booked a lens in for repair last Thursday, the box and packaging arrived on Friday, which I duly packaged and sent off straight away at my local post office. I had an email first thing this morning saying that the lens had been received - I had another email this afternoon saying that the repair had been complete and the lens has been sent back. I had another email just now from the couriier to say it will be delivered tomorrow!

wow! that is absolutely fantastic service and I couldn't possibly ask for anything more. Great job by the folks at Fujifilm UK, makes me realise that my decision to move to Fujifilm was absolutely correct on so many levels.

I love these stories.

I have a feeling wex send their body repairs to fuji so hoping the repair will be good

Have had similar great service with Fuji direct with a fault on my 18-55 but as the body is only a few months old a) its a bit disappointing and b) still under warranty

I have a feeling wex send their body repairs to fuji so hoping the repair will be good

Have had similar great service with Fuji direct with a fault on my 18-55 but as the body is only a few months old a) its a bit disappointing and b) still under warranty

That's a shame about your camera and I hope you get it sorted soon. Is your warranty with Wex or with Fuji?

Any love in here for X-S10 ?

I’ve been looking at this.
.Form factor very similar to the Z50 (which I have)
most reviews are giving it 4.5 or 5 star.
Some discussion over on DPR ref. shutter shock.
When lockdown is over I will give it a close look.

Back