The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

OK. Am I completely mad to even look at 50mm f1

Only because it’s F1…

Only because it’s F1…

Yes, wait until the next round of promotions (or the show) likely to be deals then. And you already know that youyr Canon FD 1.4 is approx F1.1 on your GFX, so the question is do you need to shoot anything actually moving at F1.........................I suppose at 40fps on the X-H2 you will have every section (vertical slice) of your grandchilds face in focus as they move infornt of the camera - you could then focus stack it and get the equivalent of an F8 image :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Nah, part-timer, I drove from Poole, Dorset to Glasgow in an 1100 Austin Allegro (max speed about 65mph!!) in 1984/5 - In the days when there was no motorway from the border until nearly Glasgow - a lot of it single carraigeway. If your Fiat 500 was a modern one, then your trip was a breeze, if it was an original Fiat 500 then I take my hat off to you!
One begs the question... Why? ;)

Fair play to you, sir. I doth my cap :)

I’ve never been to the lakes. Keep them coming.

It`s peaceful, apart from the sheep, and cows lol

I`ll sift through, and see what I can muster up ;)

One begs the question... Why? ;)

Fair play to you, sir. I doth my cap :)

I lived in Poole, and my then girlfriends grandparents (both sets) lived in Glasgow - even made the trip on Christmas Eve one year with horizontal snow blowing across the Beattocks (literally :ROFLMAO: ) - in the days when in-car enertainment was a "conversation" or AM radio (at the times when you actually got reception) or could hear the radio above the screaming Allegro and Wind Noise :rolleyes:

Yes, wait until the next round of promotions (or the show) likely to be deals then. And you already know that youyr Canon FD 1.4 is approx F1.1 on your GFX, so the question is do you need to shoot anything actually moving at F1.........................I suppose at 40fps on the X-H2 you will have every section (vertical slice) of your grandchilds face in focus as they move infornt of the camera - you could then focus stack it and get the equivalent of an F8 image :ROFLMAO:
Just skimmed DA’s report. Probably try the Sammy 85 on the GFX first.

I thought the Samyang 85mm F1.4 was just a bit too soft wide open on the GFX - have a look at a Sigma ART lens if you want sharpness at F1.4 (F1.1)
Yeah I get that. But I want dreamy shots of youngest granddaughter. I’ll give it a go..

Get a diffusion filter, or better still get a Tiffen Black-ProMist - The black versions retain blacks and contrast better. Its just a case of working out what strength filter you need/want.
Thanks David. That’s very helpful.

Thanks David. That’s very helpful.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnf2kvUKRFs

I recommend not ordering direct from Tiffen in the US though, find someone in teh UK who has what you want in stock. I ordered a 49mm 1/4 Black Promist a couple of years ago (when they had a factory sale on) for the X100F, it took nearly 7 weeks to get delivered!

If you got a 62mm one, it will work on the XF18mm and the GF63mm and with a 58-62 step ring on the XF33mm F1.4 - Sorted

Last edited:
View attachment 366520

The need for new lenses may be necessary with the XH2 but the existing lenses will work but are not optimised for the 40MP sensor. Doesnt mean you cant get great results.

What would the xc range be lacking not to make the list? How about any thoughts on the sigma range?

What are peoples thoughts on what the xt5 would offer that the xh2r wouldn't?

What would the xc range be lacking not to make the list? How about any thoughts on the sigma range?

The lenses will all work it’s just that they won’t be capable of getting the best out of the sensor (in ultimate sharpness terms) - it a bit like putting a film ear prime on a GFX - plenty of us do it and get some great and interesting images but we are not getting the optimum out of the sensor

As to the X-T5, Most rumours suggest that it will be 40 MP like the X-H2 - but obviously it will in an X-T4 like package - expect similar functionality and performance (and close in price) to X-H2

The lenses will all work it’s just that they won’t be capable of getting the best out of the sensor (in ultimate sharpness terms) - it a bit like putting a film ear prime on a GFX - plenty of us do it and get some great and interesting images but we are not getting the optimum out of the sensor

As to the X-T5, Most rumours suggest that it will be 40 MP like the X-H2 - but obviously it will in an X-T4 like package - expect similar functionality and performance (and close in price) to X-H2

I lived in Poole, and my then girlfriends grandparents (both sets) lived in Glasgow - even made the trip on Christmas Eve one year with horizontal snow blowing across the Beattocks (literally :ROFLMAO: ) - in the days when in-car enertainment was a "conversation" or AM radio (at the times when you actually got reception) or could hear the radio above the screaming Allegro and Wind Noise :rolleyes:
Argh proper conversation. What a `mare ;)

That sounds more like an excerpt from "Scott of the Antarctic" :ROFLMAO:

Only because it’s F1…
It’s huuuuuuge and heavy. I personally wasn’t a fan when I tried it. Maybe it’s the rental version I had, but I had it twice and the Aputure rings were sticky. I suppose they travel such a distance to get that wide. The 56mm looks very nice though

I'm pretty sure the difference is going to be the dials and that's about it

Went to nearest JL, said not in stock online but showing stock in other stores and asked if I could pay to transfer to this store.

No was the reply :(:rolleyes:
That’s a shame Alan

It is and its slightly shaper than the f2.8 version
I agree as I love this lens.
I will test it once I get my XH2.

I will need to do a whole series of tests against my Fuji lenses.
However we need to remember that the old lenses worked fine on the earlier models and it is only if you want to achieve the finest resolution that these limitation may/will apply.

We also need to remember that there is big difference between reality and what is achievable theoretically!
Light quality, light colour and water vapour, dust in the air all effect theoretical results.

I thought that people would be interested in this.

Fujifilm published a Performance comparison between the Fujifilm X-H2, X-H2S, and X-T4 and it is interesting how little distinction they make between the three cameras.

AF Performance Comparison

X-H2SX-H2X-T4
Fastest AF speed0.02sec.0.02sec0.02sec
Updated AF algorithmYESYES
Tracking performance
for moving subject
Very GoodGoodGood
Face/Eye AFVery GoodVery GoodGood
Subject detection AF
(Moving subject)
Very GoodGood
Subject detection AF
(Non moving subject)
Very GoodVery Good
High-frequency subjectGoodVery GoodGood

Read more: https://fujiaddict.com/#ixzz7eTwZOi9A

I thought that people would be interested in this.

Fujifilm published a Performance comparison between the Fujifilm X-H2, X-H2S, and X-T4 and it is interesting how little distinction they make between the three cameras.

AF Performance Comparison

X-H2SX-H2X-T4
Fastest AF speed0.02sec.0.02sec0.02sec
Updated AF algorithmYESYES
Tracking performance
for moving subject
Very GoodGoodGood
Face/Eye AFVery GoodVery GoodGood
Subject detection AF
(Moving subject)
Very GoodGood
Subject detection AF
(Non moving subject)
Very GoodVery Good
High-frequency subjectGoodVery GoodGood

Read more: https://fujiaddict.com/#ixzz7eTwZOi9A
The main difference is probably going to be in the rolling shutter I think. Unless you're shooting sports or fast-moving wildlife, the X-H2 is likely a better camera, and a fair bit cheaper.

Sony kind of did this as well though, with the FX3 and the A7SIII where one was marketed as a cine camera and the other as a hybrid (respectively). It wasn't until a recent firmware update that focused mostly on timecodes that the gap between the two became apparent. Maybe Fujifilm will do the same

Went on website, showed as limited stock, added to basket, went back to check and it said out of stock so they only had one. Called to check and then ordered online. Called again to ask about delivery and young lady said it was in front of her and would be dispatched Monday.

Let’s see if/when it arrives ;) (this will be my 3rd V)

I owe you a virtual beer @Paulie-W (y)

Last edited:
Went on website, showed as limited stock, added to basket, went back to check and it said out of stock so they only had one. Called to check and then ordered online. Called again to ask about delivery and young lady said it was in front of her and would be dispatched Monday.

Let’s see if/when it arrives ;) (this will be my 3rd V)

I owe you a virtual beer @Paulie-W (y)
Nice one, mate (y)

Haha no worries. Just happy to have helped. I know what it`s like to want, and not be able to have ;)

I'm a little dubious about the Fuji list, I get its in their interest to try and convince people to buy new lenses though.

But is someone really going to tell me that either of the 16-55 f2.8 or 16-80 f4 are better than the 16 f1.4 WR, the "MK1" 23mm f1.4 or the "MK1" 35mm f1.4? I don't think so

I'm a little dubious about the Fuji list, I get its in their interest to try and convince people to buy new lenses though.

But is someone really going to tell me that either of the 16-55 f2.8 or 16-80 f4 are better than the 16 f1.4 WR, the "MK1" 23mm f1.4 or the "MK1" 35mm f1.4? I don't think so

I guess it all comes down to what one considers "better". Technically, they may well be. But artistically, probably not much difference at all, if any.

Back