The "fine time piece" owners thread.

Stunning piece of horology, but I'd be thinking "when shall I wear it"....
And no doubt have to get separate insurance.... [emoji849]

Possibly OK as an investment but not as a daily wearer (for me, anyway!)

D60CAC47-C93F-4A66-9186-C585D809BC7F.jpeg I wear all my watches regularly, this would be a”special day out” watch but why spend money on something nice and then hide it in a safe? My last birthday gift from herself that is not a chrono or divers type watch above.

View attachment 138487 Looked at this last week, undecided so far though. It’s a lot of cash and the wifey will want something nice too.

I have to say that I am surprised that this isn't as expensive as I originally thought (but still a chunk of cash).
I was thinking along the lines of ref 5327....
This is a relative bargain when looking at PP.
Now if you were looking at the 5711R or 5980... then I'd be seriously jealous!!

Last edited:
Not a fine time piece by any stretch but I regulated an Omega ray 2 to consistent +3 sec a day. Seems to have little to no variation from that so Im guessing it could be regulated to astonishing accuracy if I could be bothered to spend a lot of time messing with it.

Not the best photo, but this is my daily wearer. I also have a longines master collection retrograde that I'll share later. I'm contemplating a Rolex GMT Master or Omega Grey Side of the Moon next [emoji4]20181227_140836.jpeg

Going to order a Dorbluth & Sohn 99.1 after christmas. Lovely looking watch which will take about 6-9 months to be made for me to my spec.

I hadn't heard of Dorbluth & Sohn before. They look lovely! I like the look of the 99.9.

Not the best photo, but this is my daily wearer. I also have a longines master collection retrograde that I'll share later. I'm contemplating a Rolex GMT Master or Omega Grey Side of the Moon next [emoji4]

Nice, always liked the Longines Legend Diver. Shame they discontinued the dateless version though.

My latest acquisition...

ZZMqSZh.jpg

Absolutely loving it!

I hadn't heard of Dorbluth & Sohn before. They look lovely! I like the look of the 99.9.

Nice, always liked the Longines Legend Diver. Shame they discontinued the dateless version though.

My latest acquisition...

ZZMqSZh.jpg

Absolutely loving it!

Quite tempted by a Speedmaster but only really because I have a Triumph Speedmaster motorcycle. I have a Fuji XF 1 and a Jaguar to match it - even bought a second Fuji in black to match the seats in the Jag!

Also fancy a TAG but can't decide between a Monaco and one of their skeletons with a glass back. Probably end up with neither.

Quite tempted by a Speedmaster but only really because I have a Triumph Speedmaster motorcycle. I have a Fuji XF 1 and a Jaguar to match it - even bought a second Fuji in black to match the seats in the Jag!

Also fancy a TAG but can't decide between a Monaco and one of their skeletons with a glass back. Probably end up with neither.
I've a Seamaster, but have always coveted a nice Speedy or a Tag Carrera. Too many to choose from these days tbh, but those two or a nice Panerai would be top of my list I think.

My daily wearer is Dad's late '50s Rolex - probably the least accurate watch I own but the one that means most to me since it was Mum's wedding gift to him. Not particularly valuable in cash terms but (to me) a priceless link to them both.

I had a long think about one of the skeletons when I got my Carrera Heuer 1. In the end I thought it a little busy and much as I like them I think they wouldn’t age well, so I went for a solid dial instead. That’s just me though

A question for those with automatic watches; does anyone use a winder or do you wind and adjust before wearing?
I now have 3 automatics and a barrington single winder and considering getting another winder, maybe a double winder.

A question for those with automatic watches; does anyone use a winder or do you wind and adjust before wearing?
I now have 3 automatics and a barrington single winder and considering getting another winder, maybe a double winder.
I'm thinking of getting a winder but equally I find winding my watches and setting the time and date part of the charm. My longines moonphase is a pain as the day, date and moonphase complications are on pushers and I've put mine away with the box. However, its not too bad as it hacks and lets you adjust the hour hands and its fairly quick to roll everything forward a few days.

i still haven't bought a watch i am still doing my homework so many nice watches but i want one for daily use.i have been looking at hamiltons tag huer omega and baume et mercier.im going to save solid for another year i have always wanted a a nice watch.i realy like this watch.https://www.baume-et-mercier.com/gb...aD8HUJ3sBGbbjydM85x9QoLc1yjKotUQq7DzFmQUCfCUo
That's really nice! Love the cobra detail on the second hand and the very unique rotor on display.

All my watches are automatic but I never use my winder. I used to do years ago but haven’t done recently. I just resert them as I switch watches. Only takes 5 mins with mine. I appreciate some movements may be more difficult.

All my watches are automatic but I never use my winder. I used to do years ago but haven’t done recently. I just resert them as I switch watches. Only takes 5 mins with mine. I appreciate some movements may be more difficult.

that is one of the reasons I moved on my rolex GMT in the end just got fed up setting it, I used to wear it all the time but started doing jobs in not so great places so it was just a weekend watch a lot.
in the end sold it and moved down to a nice TAG quartz, much les watch but much less hassle.

I used to use a double "Time Tutelary" winder but found my watches still lost time. So its resigned to its box back in the loft somewhere. Like others have said, its quite pleasing setting the time and feeling the clicks of the cogs.

I have a Hamilton navy gmt which is on the winder when not in use to save me having to adjust the complications, the other two only have time and date to reset so will save myself a few bob at the mo i think and adjust when necessary.

As I said, mine's a daily wearer so is kept wound after a few hours of wear (I wear one of the others for golf and anything that might cause damage). I don't take it on holiday - I usually take a couple of Citizens which are semi disposable should the worst happen. I do have a winder but it only goes one way at a time (changes direction each on/off cycle) so doesn't keep the thing wound for the fortnight so I just reset it after a couple of hours' wear on our return.

I've been snooping around and it seems like a used 11520 steel Rolex Daytona is now going for £14,000 or so. I paid £4,000 for mine new a good few years ago. Turns out to be have been an excellent investment second only to my house in percentage terms.

And IIRC, watches don't attract any capital gains tax (unlike houses.)

I have a Monaco (McQeen model) something I always fancied, I found the skeletons models didn’t suit me as the faces were too busy to tell the time at a glance, but that’s just me maybe.

i still haven't bought a watch i am still doing my homework so many nice watches but i want one for daily use.i have been looking at hamiltons tag huer omega and baume et mercier.im going to save solid for another year i have always wanted a a nice watch.i realy like this watch.https://www.baume-et-mercier.com/gb...aD8HUJ3sBGbbjydM85x9QoLc1yjKotUQq7DzFmQUCfCUo

Have a look at Grand Seiko, finish and detail are many times above their price rage. Stunning watches and very very highly regarded.

Last edited:
Waiting lists....

I had put my name down on a "root beer" GMT, and the Daytona.
Well, guess which one came in to the AD.....

Do I take it?

I really want the Daytona....! And I cannot justify both [emoji849]

First World problems..... IMG-20190313-WA0002.jpegIMG-20190313-WA0001.jpeg

Daytona for me all day long.

However........ Given the current wait times I'd buy the GMT and flip it when the Daytona eventually arrives. Doubt you're going to lose any money on it

Daytona for me all day long.

However........ Given the current wait times I'd buy the GMT and flip it when the Daytona eventually arrives. Doubt you're going to lose any money on it
Anyone for a BNIB GMT II?

[emoji1787][emoji38][emoji1787]
Comes with 5yr International warranty....

(I realise that if I want to sell it, I would put it in the correct forum)

The GMT looks a bit too bulky. I like a relatively low profile.

The modern GMT is a bit to hefty for me, I had the older GMT a Pepsi model, I only recently sold it as my old eyes couldn't read it very well. The older black face with small hands just don't work for me anymore. Its not for me also with the two tone bracelet, saying that I am not a fan of the Daytona's either, my fave one recently is the white face explorer !! orany hand.

The modern GMT is a bit to hefty for me, I had the older GMT a Pepsi model, I only recently sold it as my old eyes couldn't read it very well. The older black face with small hands just don't work for me anymore. Its not for me also with the two tone bracelet, saying that I am not a fan of the Daytona's either, my fave one recently is the white face explorer !! orany hand.
Gotto love individual taste.
I like the heft of this one.
I have to say the deep sea is a bit too proud for me. I had it on my wrist and it was uncomfortable.
The gmt is a peach.

Funnily enough the explorer is too 'meh' for my taste.....

Back