The Food, Cooking and Cuisine Thread

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
Tonight, I'm cooking lime and chilli marinaded, roast belly pork with roast red pepper, rice and peas.

It'll be ready in 10 minutes.

What are you having?

Last edited:
Char Siu pork with egg fried rice, ready in 20 minutes

You're right, of course.

I'm off to talk about reality TV and how to wash a car.

(y)

Or I could mention the best way to render pork fat so it has the texture and taste of soft crackling. Or perhaps I could reveal a trick I learned from an Indian friend to get perfect boiled rice.

Nah, I'll stick it on Facebook instead.

If only I was on Facebook.

:D

Last edited:
Ham'n'cheese sarnie with a bit of lefty pizza (lefty = left over.)

Lamb marinated in mint and rosemary sauce, roast spuds, broccoli, peas and carrots.

Last edited:
I made a 10 egg pizza omelette earlier for the 4 of us. Well, that's what i called it to make it more appealing to the kids, it had fresh mushrooms, mozzarella and pepperoni

Reactions: Nod
Tonight we are having aubergine, stuffed with rice and lamb mince in a spicy tomato based sauce. We had red and yellow peppers with the same filling yesterday. We finish them off with a little parmesan grated over the top and a couple of minutes under the grill.

Ta. One of the Asian chaps down the allotment said it's all in the soaking and washing. :)

That is the method my OH uses (she is from Iran). She then adds another stage which adds a crispy topping to the rice, so that you can turn it out onto a plate whole. All the rice granules are cooked perfectly and not too soft or at all sticky.

Dunno till the mrs gets home :rolleyes:

Reactions: BBR
Perfect rice. I use basmati generally.
Soak for ten to twenty minutes
Rinse.
Amply cover with fresh cold water and bring to the boil.
Drain and rinse.
Drain and rinse.
Amply cover with fresh cold water and boil. Add salt if required.
Drain and eat.
Always works, makes perfect separate grains, and requires no timing.
There have been times when I've needed to put dinner on hold so I've stopped after the second boil, rinsed till cold and left it till needed and still it come out perfectly.

Just put five chicken leg quarters in the oven in a baking dish with a tomato based spicy sauce (madras curry powder, 2 large sliced onions, tablespoon garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, onion seeds, fennel seeds). Cook @190 C for 90 minutes, take foil off and cook for further ten minutes.

Just put five chicken leg quarters in the oven in a baking dish with a tomato based spicy sauce (madras curry powder, 2 large sliced onions, tablespoon garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, onion seeds, fennel seeds). Cook @190 C for 90 minutes, take foil off and cook for further ten minutes.
I have got two whole Chickens roasting in the oven, lovely fresh bread. I like keeping things simple.

Spaghetti with home made ragu. I call it Bignalese after my village.

I make a big batch then portion it up and freeze it. I usually get about a dozen portions.

Two left after tonight

Morrisons oven pizza :)

It's my night off in the kitchen and the future wife only knows her way to the fridge for gin.

Gigantic Costco Lasagne, divided in to non gigantic portions and frozed

They do this beef stew and dumplings, gigantic again and flippin boodiful, but a bit messy to divvy up
I'm not hardcore enough for the full 5 gallons and 16 dumplings in one sitting, so I didn't buy that...:D

as a side note, all household storage shrinks when you buy anything from Costco

I have got two whole Chickens roasting in the oven, lovely fresh bread. I like keeping things simple.

Whenever we go on a day trip to France, we always have a picnic, and a supermarket roast chicken (they are fantastic in France) plus crunchy French bread and Normandy butter - lovely combination.

Perfect rice. I use basmati generally.
Soak for ten to twenty minutes
Rinse.
Drain and rinse.
Drain and rinse.
Amply cover with fresh cold water and boil. Add salt if required.
Drain and eat.
Always works, makes perfect separate grains, and requires no timing.
There have been times when I've needed to put dinner on hold so I've stopped after the second boil, rinsed till cold and left it till needed and still it come out perfectly.

Too much effort.
As taught to me by Rick Stein (name drop) and used in his kitchens. Also the way I was taught in far east kitchens

1 cup rice to 1.5 cup boiling water
warm a small amount of vegetable oil in the saucepan. This can be flavoured with bay leaves, cinnamon, cracked cardamom pods if required.
Put the rice in when the spices are smelling, or the oil is warm.
Stir the rice, coating each grain with the oil fro about a minute.
Add the boiling water and simmer until the water looks like it has gone or is barely visable
Turn off and leave for 30 mins.

You'll have a rice cake, which can be forked through for perfect grains, or tipped out and served like that.

Too much effort.
As taught to me by Rick Stein (name drop) and used in his kitchens. Also the way I was taught in far east kitchens

1 cup rice to 1.5 cup boiling water
warm a small amount of vegetable oil in the saucepan. This can be flavoured with bay leaves, cinnamon, cracked cardamom pods if required.
Put the rice in when the spices are smelling, or the oil is warm.
Stir the rice, coating each grain with the oil fro about a minute.
Add the boiling water and simmer until the water looks like it has gone or is barely visable
Turn off and leave for 30 mins.

You'll have a rice cake, which can be forked through for perfect grains, or tipped out and served like that.

Using that method could well result in high levels of arsenic being left in the rice. Rinsing three times with water before cooking (and then a couple of times more when the rice is cooked) or leaving to soak overnight will remove a lot of the arsenic.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...r-away-drain-excess-danger-food-a7568436.html

That's pretty much how I've done it for many years.
( where do you think rick stein got it from? :D )

Using that method could well result in high levels of arsenic being left in the rice.
As above, I've been using that method for years, not dead yet ...
The problem with all this "stuff" is that one minute it'll kill ya the next its good for you...
I ignore all the hype and just eat / drink what I want and cook it how I like it ...

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/arsenic-in-rice

Last edited:
Whenever we go on a day trip to France, we always have a picnic, and a supermarket roast chicken (they are fantastic in France) plus crunchy French bread and Normandy butter - lovely combination.
Looks like me and the missus, need to book a short trip away then. ;)

Looks like me and the missus, need to book a short trip away then. ;)

They really are that good, particularly from Auchan (Coted'Opale shopping centre) or Carrefour. At Auchan they bake their own bread (and patisseries) from scratch, so you can normally get it straight from the oven. We were amazed one time, when we thought we had bought an ordinary free range rotisserie chicken, and it turned out to be a smoked one - absolutely stunning!

I'm wondering if I should change the thread title to make it more of a general food and cooking thread.

There is a thread somewhere but it died out. Happy for this to be a new one, I can talk about food all day! :D

Tuna Pasta bake tonight. Penne pasta and tuna with a cheese sauce topped with cheddar and mozzarella and chucked in the oven for 30 minutes, laaahvley!

Huuuge pot of very slow cooked pork shank with all the usual root veg and stew stuff.

I'll give it another 2 hours then take all the meat off the shank, well let it fall off, then thicken everything up.

The house smells wonderful.

Huuuge pot of very slow cooked pork shank with all the usual root veg and stew stuff.
Sounds nice, I guess its about time I dusted off the crock pot (y)
Not sure for tonight yet, though, I'm just gonna have a stroll around the freezer and see what I fancy :)

They really are that good, particularly from Auchan (Coted'Opale shopping centre) or Carrefour. At Auchan they bake their own bread (and patisseries) from scratch, so you can normally get it straight from the oven. We were amazed one time, when we thought we had bought an ordinary free range rotisserie chicken, and it turned out to be a smoked one - absolutely stunning!
If I can do without that new camera gear purchase, I just might look into a short trip. :)

I made a lovely Chicken and vegetable soup this evening. I was a little heavy handed with the pepper, and chili. :eek:

Back