The Football Thread - Season 2012/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
For centuries the soldiers of the Highland and Lowland Regiments of Scotland have been referred to as "Jocks" :

Old Jock Ale reflects the strength and character of these men who would have enjoyed such a strong ale.

Hops used are English grown Challenger,

:thumbsdown:

That second goal from Suarez was absolute class, after missing a sitter, the Norwich fans were all loving it smug and gesturing, I'd have loved to have seen their faces 30 seconds later when he nicked the ball and smashed it in. SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH

Not tried that but I can't say I have ever enjoyed a Scottish ale.

Ferdinand doesn't deserve to start next match don't you think? Watching the highlights it seems to me that united really missed Ashley young and valencia's diving in the box.

It's a bit strong but I get it on offer (cheap) so it makes a good shandy :cautious:

Re the footy - beggars can't be choosers really. We're knackered when it comes to defenders so Rio is nailed on for a start at the moment.

The problem today wasn't so much the defence but how we set up in front of the defence in the first half when we set out 4:2:3:1 with ancient Giggs and Scholes. Second half 4:4:2 was much better but that was because we had to chase the game.

We've been after a quality M/DM player for about 2 years now and today you could see why.

I really rate Fletcher in that respect and it's good to see him making progress but I'd still like to see us strengthen that area.

PS

Just flipped over to BBC1 Scotland and realised MOTD is normal time tonight so I've missed loads :bonk:

Last edited:
Regarding fletcher, I'm glad he is improving as its never nice to be out of football for so long for the kind of reason he was at his age. But I really dislike him, I don't know why, can't put my finger on it but something about him really irritates me. Still, good for him to be back playing.

Regarding fletcher, I'm glad he is improving as its never nice to be out of football for so long for the kind of reason he was at his age. But I really dislike him, I don't know why, can't put my finger on it but something about him really irritates me. Still, good for him to be back playing.

Fair enough but in this day and age, Fletcher always strikes me as a low key, decent, honest hard working player - a refreshing change (for folk our age) from the celebrity / superstar players of today.

His progress is good news though. Somehow I think it's nicer to see people (footballers or not) overcome an 'illness' rather than an injury.

Last edited:
I'm sure I said something along these lines a while back but does anybody think there's a way of getting rid of / alternative to penalties ?

In a sport where where 90 mins of tactics and hard work generate roughly 1 or 2 goals - it's sad when you see how often penalties decide a game.

I'm not talking about 'cheating' for a pen - just the fact that the rules allow a penalty to be so worthwhile.

Last edited:
Fair enough but in this day and age, Fletcher always strikes me as a low key, decent, honest hard working player - a refreshing change (for folk our age) from the celebrity / superstar players of today.

His progress is good news though. Somehow I think it's nicer to see people (footballers or not) overcome an 'illness' rather than an injury.

I agree, I am glad he is recovering, I can't say what irritates me about him though, but he just annoys me. Like I said, good luck to him though, I hope he makes a full recovery

Anyone watching the west ham match?

Great goal from tarrabt, but "I love Allah" on his shirt for the goal celebration was bound to get a yellow, what a fool. Why guarantee yourself a yellow card?

Great goal from tarrabt, but "I love Allah" on his shirt for the goal celebration was bound to get a yellow, what a fool. Why guarantee yourself a yellow card?
Quality strike, first touch

If it said "i love Allan" it would have made things awkward in the dressing room:D

Last edited:

It was a good goal but I thought the keeper could of at least moved a bit - a good keeper may have stopped that.

On way back from the match - let's pretend it did not happen...

On way back from the match - let's pretend it did not happen...

I was there too. Hard for me as a West Ham fan sat in the QPR family stand though as I wanted to go mental when we scored :LOL:

Never been to Loftus road before, small ground but a good atmosphere in there.

I wonder how long Mr Hughes will last.

I was there too. Hard for me as a West Ham fan sat in the QPR family stand though as I wanted to go mental when we scored :LOL:

Never been to Loftus road before, small ground but a good atmosphere in there.

I wonder how long Mr Hughes will last.

You pretty much destroyed us first half, but Hughes will be (rightfully) slaughtered for last night. We had injuries and were playing 2 centre backs in the full back roles, but then playing two defensive wingers in front of them - strangely there was hardly any attacking threat.... How he didn't change it after 20, 30 minutes or even at half-time drove me and the vast majority of people around me insane. We were overrun in midfield, it was just so obvious, I'm still mad about it now. From our point of view, there is only one person to blame for the defeat and that is Hughes.

I thought you looked good, great pressing and some decent football. Your defence looks like it can be got at, especially when played through as opposed to the long ball nonsense we ended doing for large parts of the first half.

Will try and make Upton Park, use to love going down there when I was younger, and would like to go again before you move to the Olympic Stadium.

EAGLES!

On a charge, unbeaten in six. Anyone gets the chance, see Zaha's two goals from tonight win over Wolves....!

Some decent results in Europe tonight for the British clubs.

Very happy with United's performance at Cluj, good win for Chelsea and at long last - after 20 odd defeats and one solitary draw - Celtic finally get their first Champions League win away from home !

Last edited:
just witnessed daylight robbery!!! City 1, Dortmund 1.
That Dortmund side is the best team Since the Barca of 2 yrs ago, simply awesome.
If it wasn't for Joe Hart and some wasteful finishing, that game could have ended 7 or 8-1!!

Didn't watch any of the footy tonight but I've just caught the scores.

Ronaldo's 17th hat trick in two years for Real Madrid :bonk:

Carlo said:
158 goals in 154 games, and still people claim he's 'crap' :LOL::wacky:

He's without question a brilliant player. Shame he comes across as such a cnut. Look at the difference with Messi - even better and completely humble.

He's without question a brilliant player. Shame he comes across as such a cnut. Look at the difference with Messi - even better and completely humble.

Disagree, I think Ronaldo is a better player. Ronaldo has proved himself in the toughest league at Man U, I dont know if Messi would relish a cold November night at the Britannia!!! Also, Messi did nothing at the last world cup whereas Ronaldo has done more for Portugal.

Also, Messi did nothing at the last world cup whereas Ronaldo has done more for Portugal.

this is hardly relevant. They both dissapointed at that world cup, Ronaldo only scored 1 goal with zero assists. Messi had more passes and shots on goal. They were both carp.

They both have almost identical goals per appearance

0.37 goals per appearance for ronaldo
0.38 goals per appearance for messi

we could argue all day who's the 'best' as that word is a matter of opinion.
I think we'd all agree though, that Messi has more 'natural talent', but Ronaldo is just as effective. They both have different positives, and negatives...and yes, Ronaldo does indeed to be a cnut, but name me a professional footballer that isn't!!! (ok, i do know a few, but kinda dilutes my point a bit!:))

Utter tosh.

Why?

Ronaldo has achieved in Spain and England - Messi in Spain. Messi also plays for what people describe as the best team ever!! Messi has done little on the international stage.

To be classed a true great I believe you need to do things at the very highest level, like Platini, Maradona, Pele for example.

tiler65 said:
You two would not say this if he were associated with Liverpool.

Apparently Messi is no angel, his mum was always telling him to tidy his room.

Nothing to do with it. It may be due to both his managers being arrogent ******s though.

Why?

Ronaldo has achieved in Spain and England - Messi in Spain. Messi also plays for what people describe as the best team ever!! Messi has done little on the international stage.

To be classed a true great I believe you need to do things at the very highest level, like Platini, Maradona, Pele for example.

Being at the centre of arguably the best footballing teams in the world, with the stats of goals and assists that he has, FIFA Ballon d'Or 2010 & 2011, 73 goals in all competitions in one season etc etc, and just because he didn't really perform at the World Cup 2010 you see him as overrated? That's why I said utter tosh.

I'm not doubting Ronaldo's ability at all, I'd be silly to. But when you bring in his 'international achievements' what are there? You do remember him in the Euros this year, as captain, refraining from taking a penalty as he wanted the glory of scoring the winning pen only to see his team, the team he is captain of, get beat on penalty number 4.

Messi has done little on the international stage.

What has ronaldo done on the international stage that messi hasn't?

Did you not see the stats I put up earlier? Goal scoring wise they are almost identical per game, messi just edging it

Personally, I couldn't care lass who is the better player. Messi is obviously the better man.

Spanish football (outside of the top few teams) is very one sided, a bit like the Scottish league was a few years back. The prem is very competitive and teams like Blackburn and Wigan can beat the big boys. Ronaldo has proved he can do it there - and while he has not hit the heights of other players in years gone by, I think this makes him a better player than Messi. Put it this way, if Arsenal could sign one, it would be Ronaldo.

I think both are still a way from being considered called great like Pele, Maradona, di Stefano, Eusabio etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back