The Football Thread - Season 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gutted too, really gutted.

I feel losing Steve Walsh is the biggest blow we will suffer in a long time.

I know the feeling :( but being realistic people 'move on' in all employments and football is no different, in fact even more transient.

I am realistic and know we cannot expect the coming season to reach last years heights and it may be a massive anti-climax but no-one can take away what LCFC did last season. :)

Has anyone set a fantasy football league up yet?

What great owners ? I guess they could have reduced ticket prices instead ?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifest...wner-gifts-100000-8569350#dRq05AyAervJsxJV.97

I think the Leicester fans will already have had a gift from their owners none of them would ever have thought possible, :eek: ;) giving the players who achieved that gifts seems like a very nice gesture. I'm sure they are already paid well, and will have received whatever bonuses that were in their contracts. If my employer would treat me well, and give non contracted bonuses for success, I would be less inclined to look for another job. I'm sure the Leicester fans hope that no more of their players move. ;)

Last edited:
Charlton Athletic have given at least one of their fans the ultimatum of signing a contract not to criticise the club on social media to allow them to purchase a season ticket. :eek: :confused:

Un effing believable. :eek:

Sense seems to have come appeared to some degree, but to send a letter like is was as I said, un effing believable. :eek: :rolleyes:
Reading into the report it seems the fan in question was seen via video evidence shouting foul and abusive comments during games and throwing beech balls and stress balls onto the pitch. While on the face of it the headline looks a bit bizarre I'm sure some other clubs have ejected fans for the foul and abusive language in the past. I know he did it in the name of the fans protest group but there are better ways, look at the Liverpool 77 minute protest.

Reading into the report it seems the fan in question was seen via video evidence shouting foul and abusive comments during games and throwing beech balls and stress balls onto the pitch. While on the face of it the headline looks a bit bizarre I'm sure some other clubs have ejected fans for the foul and abusive language in the past. I know he did it in the name of the fans protest group but there are better ways, look at the Liverpool 77 minute protest.

If that was what the fan did then ban him, not need to coerce people into behaving correctly. :mad: Depends on the language of course, as I think there will be some 'language' at every game, ;) but you can't throw stuff onto the pitch.

There was no mention in the 'contract' Charlton wanted him to sign of any behaviour in the ground, :thinking: only on comments on social media that were 'not particularly constructive" and his opinions posted online were 'not helpful' and 'inflammatory'. Censorship to buy your season ticket is b****x. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Arsenal start with their usual standard. Still, they turned a profit last year :rolleyes:

Arsenal start with their usual standard. Still, they turned a profit last year :rolleyes:

A proper master stroke the clubs pulled by making their fans care about the finances. It's not my money they spend so it doesn't bother me. It's like our lot. Just wait there'll be a weekend when some of the prem teams with big stadiums don't play and we'll fill st.James then they'll be banging on about the fact we have the highest attendance in England. Just shows well pay to watch any old rubbish there.. It also doesn't guarantee you points !

A bit of flat start to the Premier League on Saturday, but Sunday was a bit livelier. ;) And an 89th min win for Chel$ki on Monday. :eek:

Some great goals in the Liverpool game. Brilliant free kick by Coutinho. I thought he was too far out, but thankfully he didn't. Sadio Made was so quick going past, around and through the Arsenal defence ;) and then to score at the end was very impressive. :clap: Hopefully that is a sign of good things to come for Liverpool fans. :)

Oxlade Chamberlain's goal was very good too. I always want him to be given a chance, and to play up to the high level he sometimes hits. I think he needs to be playing consistently to fulfil his potential imho. He's still only 23, but he should have been a fixture in their team by now.

A bit of flat start to the Premier League on Saturday, but Sunday was a bit livelier. ;) And an 89th min win for Chel$ki on Monday. :eek:

Some great goals in the Liverpool game. Brilliant free kick by Coutinho. I thought he was too far out, but thankfully he didn't. Sadio Made was so quick going past, around and through the Arsenal defence ;) and then to score at the end was very impressive. :clap: Hopefully that is a sign of good things to come for Liverpool fans. :)

Oxlade Chamberlain's goal was very good too. I always want him to be given a chance, and to play up to the high level he sometimes hits. I think he needs to be playing consistently to fulfil his potential imho. He's still only 23, but he should have been a fixture in their team by now.

I thought Phil's second was the best goal, but all four were brilliant. Looks like JK is sticking with Moreno at LB too...

I thought Phil's second was the best goal, but all four were brilliant. Looks like JK is sticking with Moreno at LB too...

Mane's was pretty decent, although bear in mind they were hardly facing a good defence!!

Excellent Riyad Mahrez staying as well. Excellent.
Drinkwater too ...

Not a bad Euro draw for the foxes either

1. Group A: PSG, Arsenal, Basel, Ludogorets
  2. Group B: Benfica, Napoli, D Kiev, Besiktas
  3. Group C: Barcelona, Man City, B Moenchengladbach, Celtic
  4. Group D: B Munich, Atletico, PSV, Rostov
  5. Group E: CSKA, Leverkusen, Tottenham, Monaco
  6. Group F: R Madrid, B Dortmund, Sporting, L Warsaw
  7. Group G: Leicester, Porto, Brugge, FC Copenhagen
  8. Group H: Juventus, Sevilla, Lyon, D Zagreb

Drinkwater too ...

I agree, Porto I think have reached the last 16 a number of times recently but you would think we ( I'm biased ) have a good chance of coming in the top two of the group and progressing. Leicester are probably going to find it very tough with midweek games plus the travelling and no easy games in the premier league of course. I think Claudio had the right approach, get to 40 points and relative safety and everything else is a bonus. I hope they all enjoy the experience.

Drinkwater too ...

Looks like good draws for the Premier League teams, Barcelona aside. ;) I think PSG will have lost a lot without Ibrahimovic, but you never know with Arsenal. Looks particularly good for Leicester if they can get anywhere near the form of last season. The same with Spurs, if they are anything near to last season, and it is too early to tell yet, they should get through that group.

You never know with Celtic if they can raise their performance for a couple of games. They have had good games against Barca and English teams in the past, it is just them stringing a few together.

Keeping to a European theme last night saw WHexit, no big European nights this season then Princess Brady

Beating Premiership Burnley at home then booking a trip to big boys West Ham away.... doesn't happen often to Accrington Stanley :)

Go the Stanley, remember going past their desolate ground on the way to Burnley in the early 70's

Another little titbit now, when my lot clinched promotion and relegated Oxford in 2007, I believe it was Stanley who replaced them. Complete opposite of events when Oxford joined the league in the 60's, these coincidences happen time and again in football.

New manager and nothing has changed, first shot took until the 39th minute, what a dire half of football that was.

Enough for me, won't be keeping my Sunday dinner hot to watch this rubbish.

Dirty Dozen is on the other side, must be better than the s***ty eleven

Hoofball got to be next, always the same with Sam last 20mins. It's not good that's for sure

Not sure what Kane does to keep his spot, all I ever see is useless twaddle.

Nor me, seems like when there is anything at stake or pressure involved he doesn't show up. To be fair we haven't got a big pot of players to dip into. Bottom line we aren't a world force in football and haven't been for a long time

i believe a dramatic tactics change would make a massive difference.like letting kane take free kicks
and corners!!! same team, same s***e.

We won didn't we???

Cant expect to change everything with just a few days with the team.

We won didn't we???

Cant expect to change everything with just a few days with the team.
At least we changed the corner kick taker (although if it had remained the same, Kane might have actually done something useful). ;)

A caller on 5live was saying, play ugly but get the points; where's the problem?
Well playing ugly most of my lifetime has got england nowehere so far ;)

Come On Scotland!

A caller on 5live was saying, play ugly but get the points; where's the problem?
Well playing ugly most of my lifetime has got england nowehere so far ;)

Come On Scotland!

Please feel free to remind us of Scotland's success at EURO 2016.

Oh....that's right...... ;)

Please feel free to remind us of Scotland's success at EURO 2016.

Oh....that's right...... ;)
Same as the previous 8 tournaments. england haven't won anything noteworthy in my lifetime and plenty of crap teams get into tournaments without being very good .... some don't even know the rules :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back