The Football Thread - Season 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard an amazing stat on the radio over the weekend. There are 92 teams in the 4 divisions of the football league, and 91 of them have gained at least one point away from home during 2018. The sole exception? Arsenal.
  • Jan 14th: 1-2 at Bournemouth
  • Jan 30th: 1-3 at Swansea
  • Feb 10th: 0-1 at Tottenham
  • Mar 4th: 1-2 at Brighton
  • Apr 15th: 1-2 at Newcastle
If that were a season, then that may be significant, but not so few games over a couple of months imho. I'm not saying it is good of course. If they were really bad they wouldn't be in the top half of the table with so few away wins.

its a disgrace that a club like arsenal finish so close to them.
Bit disrespectful to Burnley isn't it! Teams end up where they deserve to be, not 'where they should be'.

This is what I don't like about Arsenal fans, the belief that they should up there winning the league every year. There are 'normally' 2-4 jostling for the title in a good year. Arsenal have been in that 4 for the majority of the last 20 years or so, and have won it on occasion too. At the same time winning other trophies, but that it not good enough. Measure your season by only winning the league or not and you will be letting yourself in for a lot of disappointment for the rest of your life. I'm a Liverpool supporter, believe me I've been through it. ;-)

I will be supporting Burnley for the rest of the season! They are 2 points behind and should they finish above Arsenal surely the board have to act.
Interestingly, Arsenal's last home game of the season is against Burnley. If they lose, they will very probably finish below Burnley. That could be the end for Wenger.

Bit disrespectful to Burnley isn't it! Teams end up where they deserve to be, not 'where they should be'.

This is what I don't like about Arsenal fans, the belief that they should up there winning the league every year. There are 'normally' 2-4 jostling for the title in a good year. Arsenal have been in that 4 for the majority of the last 20 years or so, and have won it on occasion too. At the same time winning other trophies, but that it not good enough. Measure your season by only winning the league or not and you will be letting yourself in for a lot of disappointment for the rest of your life. I'm a Liverpool supporter, believe me I've been through it. ;-)

I am not in the belief that we should be winning the league. Its more the fact that the players are poor quality and badly coached. Plus the fact that they have no motivation. The fact is we could and should be a bit closer to the top.

Its not disrespect to Burnley. But teams like Arsenal and Liverpool should be finishing higher based on the players they have and money they spend. If Liverpool next season finished level with say Brighton, I can see many Liverpool fans questioning the management.

If Liverpool next season finished level with say Brighton, I can see many Liverpool fans questioning the management.
If Brighton were to have anything approaching a 'Leicester' season, and were near the top, then as long as Liverpool were also doing OK too, then what's to question! :thinking: Leicester have shown that money and history mean nothing. :rolleyes:

If Brighton finished mid/low in the table, and Liverpool were in and around there, then questions may need to be asked of course. But not until after the first dozen or so games though. ;) Anyway, trust in the Klopp. :D

Arsenal are still near the top btw, think of how the (last season's) Champions may feel about their position.:eek: Chel$ki still have the chance to win the FA Cup of course, but then that doesn't seem to mean anything to Arsenal fans anyway. :rolleyes: ;) :LOL:

My guess is Wenger, the Team and Management are pinning their hopes on the No Hopers cup, so resting until then will be the order of the day and players trying their utmost not to get injured. Will look a bit silly if they don't win it and finish in 7th. Once again though a "cheap" team show what can be achieved without any so-called star players if you have a decent coach and team spirit. Good luck to Burnley.

We haven't won it for nearly 20 years.

The last time arsenal won the title. Sports photographer where still shooting film SLR

No team has the "right" to win anything. However, what really niggles most Arsenal fans is that they never seem to put up a challenge. In one off cup games they have a chance, but their consistency is so poor they don't have a hope in the title race.

Athletico will come to the Emirates and give Arsenal a footballing lesson. We will get our backsides kicked home & away. But then, we don't deserve any better after the way we have played this season. The league never lies!!

We haven't won it for nearly 20 years.

The last time arsenal won the title. Sports photographer where still shooting film SLR
Mmm, 2004 is 14 years. not nearly 20. So nearly 15 years then. Try not winning it for 28 years. ;) If 'the big' clubs should be winning the league, then shouldn't the bigger club (Liverpool ;)) be winning it before Arsenal! :LOL:

For the majority of those nearly 15 years, Arsenal have been in the top 4 and competing, not something that can be said of Liverpool for the 28 years since their last win.:( :rolleyes: Thankfully Liverpool have won other things in those 28 years. And I've been thankful for every one. :) Not something you get the feeling Arsenal fans do.:rolleyes:

No team has the "right" to win anything. However, what really niggles most Arsenal fans is that they never seem to put up a challenge. In one off cup games they have a chance, but their consistency is so poor they don't have a hope in the title race.

Athletico will come to the Emirates and give Arsenal a footballing lesson. We will get our backsides kicked home & away. But then, we don't deserve any better after the way we have played this season. The league never lies!!
I understand not getting close to winning the league, but it isn't the be all and end all. Or at least it shouldn't be, at least for a happy life imho. ;)

I feel positive about Liverpool's Champion's League semi final, and I would be trying to be positive whoever we were to face, but you seem to have written Arsenal's chances off, and seem to be inviting a thumping. As you say, Arsenal of recent times have been able to get it together in cup games, as the FA Cup wins, and progression in European and League Cup competitions are evidence of, so I don't understand so much negativity. Maybe it is trying to insulate yourself if the result is very bad, but try and enjoy where you have got too eh! I wouldn't surprised that if Arsenal were to get to the final, there would be similar sentiments regarding the final. :rolleyes:

I say again, if the vast majority of teams had won a League Title, and six FA Cups and getting to finals of other competitions over the last 15 years you would have some very happy supporters. Not it seems Arsenal fans, they should be winning the league. :rolleyes:

Man Utd have been through a couple of managers since Ferguson, and have had to get the most successful manager to take over, and give him as much money as he wants, and they still can't win the league. Arsenal will not be able to do that.

I hope Arsenal fans get what they want, a good kicking in the Semi Final and a change of manager. And I hope they will be happy if they go for many years not winning anything, because they will at least have got rid of the manager. ;)

Mmm, 2004 is 14 years. not nearly 20. So nearly 15 years then. Try not winning it for 28 years. ;) If 'the big' clubs should be winning the league, then shouldn't the bigger club (Liverpool ;)) be winning it before Arsenal! [emoji38]

For the majority of those nearly 15 years, Arsenal have been in the top 4 and competing, not something that can be said of Liverpool for the 28 years since their last win.:( :rolleyes: Thankfully Liverpool have won other things in those 28 years. And I've been thankful for every one. :) Not something you get the feeling Arsenal fans do.:rolleyes:

I understand not getting close to winning the league, but it isn't the be all and end all. Or at least it shouldn't be, at least for a happy life imho. ;)

I feel positive about Liverpool's Champion's League semi final, and I would be trying to be positive whoever we were to face, but you seem to have written Arsenal's chances off, and seem to be inviting a thumping. As you say, Arsenal of recent times have been able to get it together in cup games, as the FA Cup wins, and progression in European and League Cup competitions are evidence of, so I don't understand so much negativity. Maybe it is trying to insulate yourself if the result is very bad, but try and enjoy where you have got too eh! I wouldn't surprised that if Arsenal were to get to the final, there would be similar sentiments regarding the final. :rolleyes:

I say again, if the vast majority of teams had won a League Title, and six FA Cups and getting to finals of other competitions over the last 15 years you would have some very happy supporters. Not it seems Arsenal fans, they should be winning the league. :rolleyes:

Man Utd have been through a couple of managers since Ferguson, and have had to get the most successful manager to take over, and give him as much money as he wants, and they still can't win the league. Arsenal will not be able to do that.

I hope Arsenal fans get what they want, a good kicking in the Semi Final and a change of manager. And I hope they will be happy if they go for many years not winning anything, because they will at least have got rid of the manager. ;)
We have got Many years without winning stuff lol

I'm still on the fence regarding Wenger. It cannot be denied that 20 years ago he changed English football. He found amazing young players and turned them into superstars, he took an average centre back (Petit) and turned him into a world class defensive midfielder. He found a French winger, lost in the Italian wilderness, and turned him into the greatest player in the world (in his time).

Of late he doesn't seem to have the same ability, the game has moved on, and he seems reluctant to change. Besides, if not Wenger, then who? All these people calling for his head, but I don't see anybody stepping forward to take his place.

All I want is to see some passion from the players, at the weekend we had no creativity in midfield, nobody stepped up to the plate. They get paid a Kings ransom for doing their job, I expect to see some leaders, some passion, but that just doesn't seem to be there.

Mmm, 2004 is 14 years. not nearly 20. So nearly 15 years then. Try not winning it for 28 years. ;) If 'the big' clubs should be winning the league, then shouldn't the bigger club (Liverpool ;)) be winning it before Arsenal! :LOL:

I think its more that the deluded fool in charge kept telling us he didnt need a new keeper, or defence, and he had not made signings because we were strong enough to win the league. You have to admit, Arsenal are so predictable over the last 10 years, its the same mistakes. The fact is that we could have challenged for the league in the last 10 years if only we had made a couple of decent signings, and stopped persisting with garbage players.

I'm still on the fence regarding Wenger. It cannot be denied that 20 years ago he changed English football. He found amazing young players and turned them into superstars, he took an average centre back (Petit) and turned him into a world class defensive midfielder. He found a French winger, lost in the Italian wilderness, and turned him into the greatest player in the world (in his time).

Of late he doesn't seem to have the same ability, the game has moved on, and he seems reluctant to change. Besides, if not Wenger, then who? All these people calling for his head, but I don't see anybody stepping forward to take his place.

All I want is to see some passion from the players, at the weekend we had no creativity in midfield, nobody stepped up to the plate. They get paid a Kings ransom for doing their job, I expect to see some leaders, some passion, but that just doesn't seem to be there.

I just don't see how he can be defended. Yes in the early days he seemed to have a magic touch and picked up average players (at the time) for peanuts and turned them into worldbeaters. Trouble is most of his signings have been garbage of late. Yes, the more expensive ones have been hits rather than misses - Ozil, Sanchez, Aubameyang, possibly Lacazette, but the average signings have overall been pretty poor. Who in our team would even get into the Spurs lineup, or Liverpool? None of our defenders or keepers, Jack if fit possibly, Ozil & Auba.

Remember though that his very early success was still built on the old back 4 so that was a great platform. Passion and motivation comes from the manager, it is lacking!

Who else... well I am not a football expert, there are probably lots of managers around the world. We should have grabbed Klopp when we could. Ones that spring to mind are Tuchel (ex Dortmund), the guy at Hoffenheim had done well (very young), Howe, Dyche, Allegri at Juve are ones that spring to mind. Maybe even Wagner who appears to have kept Huddersfield up which is a great achievement. Rafa maybe?

Do you agree with the PFA Team of the Year? :thinking:

GK: David de Gea (Man United)
RB: Kyle Walker (Man City)
CB: Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham)
CB: Nicolas Otamendi (Man City)
LB: Marcos Alonso (Chelsea)
MID: David Silva (Man City)
MID: Kevin De Bruyne (Man City)
MID: Christian Eriksen (Tottenham)
FWD: Harry Kane (Tottenham)
FWD: Mohamed Salah (Liverpool)
FWD: Sergio Aguero (Man City)

I can't see how Firmino didn't get in there somewhere. If in place of anyone, then maybe it would have to be Aguero. He's scored a lot of goals, but he can't seem to get in the Cit€h team regularly. Firmino has upped his goals, but also adds a lot more, and almost every game too.

I think Alonso had a good start to the season, but the last month or two, he like the Chel$ki team, have been quite poor imho. Otamendi has improved a lot this season, but he has been poor over the last month when teams have taken the game to Cit€h.

I think Erikson has had an up and down season. :confused: Sterling has made a big improvement, and Son always gives 100%.

Obviously I only see Liverpool every week, and the other teams in highlights or when they play Liverpool, so have a skewed view as we all have. ;)

Do you agree with the PFA Team of the Year? :thinking:

GK: David de Gea (Man United)
RB: Kyle Walker (Man City)
CB: Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham)
CB: Nicolas Otamendi (Man City)
LB: Marcos Alonso (Chelsea)
MID: David Silva (Man City)
MID: Kevin De Bruyne (Man City)
MID: Christian Eriksen (Tottenham)
FWD: Harry Kane (Tottenham)
FWD: Mohamed Salah (Liverpool)
FWD: Sergio Aguero (Man City)

I can't see how Firmino didn't get in there somewhere. If in place of anyone, then maybe it would have to be Aguero. He's scored a lot of goals, but he can't seem to get in the Cit€h team regularly. Firmino has upped his goals, but also adds a lot more, and almost every game too.

I think Alonso had a good start to the season, but the last month or two, he like the Chel$ki team, have been quite poor imho. Otamendi has improved a lot this season, but he has been poor over the last month when teams have taken the game to Cit€h.

I think Erikson has had an up and down season. :confused: Sterling has made a big improvement, and Son always gives 100%.

Obviously I only see Liverpool every week, and the other teams in highlights or when they play Liverpool, so have a skewed view as we all have. ;)

Cant work out how Sterling isn't there, would have him ahead of Ageuro or Silva. The two CB have been nothing special, what about Tarkowski?

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Gets my ultimate respect, both him and Fergie I feel have been the best managers ever.

Just hope the replacement is suitable.

Wait and see who the repplacement is I guess.

I doubt we’ll ever see another manager in the league last so long. Hopefully he gets a decent send off.

My hopes are the guy at Hoffenheim or Tuchel - both managers in the 30s/40s, so can hopefully plan for them to build another dynasty. Howe and Dyche I would take too. Really would not want Ancellotti and join the merry go round of changing managers every 2 years.

My hopes are the guy at Hoffenheim or Tuchel - both managers in the 30s/40s, so can hopefully plan for them to build another dynasty. Howe and Dyche I would take too. Really would not want Ancellotti and join the merry go round of changing managers every 2 years.

Howe would be a good shout. Tries to play good football.

Really would not want Ancellotti and join the merry go round of changing managers every 2 years.
For most clubs that is the way it is now. Like him or not, it was stability for a very long time. ;) It may take time for someone to be successful, but will they get the time! The good thing about announcing it now is that anyone interested, and is already working, can start making moves where they are to smooth the way for a move, and hopefully do it as quick as possible, because they need to be in to start planning the inevitable transfers. Having a chap in place, depending on who it is, may make some transfers go smoother, especially for any 'big' names waiting to see who is in charge, and it has been a stable transition.

It all needs to be done as soon as possible for it to have a chance of being successful. Being a World Cup year will already delay and complicate a lot of transfers.

I hope they know who they want and they don't start destabilising clubs with speculation, as we have seen this year with Watford and Marco Silva.

End of an era.... The man changed the face of English football 20 years ago. Unfortunately everybody has caught us up and surpassed us, especially the big teams. I have to admit he is past his sell buy date, but there was nobody else that could have managed us through the transformation into the new stadium.

Whatever any fans think of him now, he deserves a respectful send off at the end of the season.

Not interested in any short term managers, whoever comes in needs to be in for the long haul, and one of the "new guard" of managers; Viera has been touted a lot lately, not sure he is ready yet. Aleggri seems popular with the fans, as well as Simione.

Wouldn't surprise me if Arsenal do something completely left field, like they did with Wenger....

Every Arsenal fan I know today is celebrating.

Quite a sad finish, I guess serves him right for wanting to beat Fergies record

Unfortunately everybody has caught us up and surpassed us, especially the big teams.

This from yesterday sums up how we have fallen...

Of course we want to finish above Burnley and we play them at home still. We play on Sunday. Let’s win on Sunday and see where we go from there. We have some important games in the Premier League and we want to finish on a high

Every Arsenal fan I know today is celebrating.
I'm not celebrating. I wish he had not ended his tenure with such a downward spiral but he was without doubt the greatest man manager and footballing coach Arsenal have ever had, I doubt he'll ever be surpassed and I can see a few years in the doldrums ahead, I hope I am proved wrong.

He should get a magnificent send-off, the players should really pull the stops out and win the No Hopers Cup for him. What other manager has anyone worked for who rarely if ever openly critices his "employees" in public, he is without any doubt someone I would have loved to have worked for (I've worked for some real stinkers) and the current crop dont deserve him.

I feel sorry he has felt the need to go but he has either lost the player's faith in him or become out of date and it's sad end to a great career. I for one will miss him deeply and what he has done for AFC.

I think it was inevitable that he had to go. I just hope, Arsenal fans and football fans in general, show him the respect he deserves and has certainly earned over the years.

It's been obvious for a few seasons that he's not capable of responding to incidents on the pitch when it's going badly, other than to bring on Bentner/Giroud/Welbeck at 70 mins.
It was even more highlighted this year when it appeared he lost interest in keeping players, sorting contracts, just wanted to be there for his name to go down as the longest serving manager. He got what he wanted there but I think the club suffered because

Good at a time, took the arse through their most successful period, just a shame the new stadium happened at the banking crisis and he didn't have to money to invest for a few years, yet still kept the club in top 4,

I think Kroenke's had a word in his ear, with regards to the half-empty ground as of late, to either resign gracefully or get sacked. All about money with Kroenke. Then again, mostly the same with every club now :(

Is anyone planning to watch the Tottenham v Manchester United game later today?

Is anyone planning to watch the Tottenham v Manchester United game later today?

I certainly am. Just home, after talking the dog a good long walk, so time to get a few beers and relax :D

8 successive semi final defeats, shame, would have loved to have seen an all London final, will be cheering for Chelsea tomorrow.

Last edited:
8 successive semi final defeats, shame, would have loved to have seen an all London final, will be cheating for Chelsea tomorrow.

Spuds can't be seen to winning stuff now can they, I mean, it's not what they do ;)

On a serious note, who in that Spurs team has won anything? When you see them lining up against Man Utd, Europa cup winners last year, Sanchez has won 2 FA cups recently... Spuds play good football, but they lack winners, people that have been there and done it (including the Manager). It's not surprising they keep coming up short at the last hurdle or two is it?

Two goals and two assist for Salah in the Champion's League Semi final. :eek: :clap: He continues to prove that he deserves to be PFA Player of the Year imho. Almost a great result until Liverpool let in two goals. :( Scoring five in a CL Semi Final was pretty good though. :)

Sad to see that there was some crowd trouble outside the ground with a man in critical condition, and two people arrested for attempted murder. :( Hope things don't carry over to next week in Rome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back