The Football Thread - Season 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if Liverpool go on the offensive from the start in Rome then you'll score. Sure, you may shen a goal or two in the process, but scoring even one goal, means they need to find 4, and even your defence can handle that (not sure Arsenal could!!).

What I love about Klopp's Liverpool is that they show no fear. No matter who you are, they'll come at you. It's great to watch.

While salah grabs headlines I do think firminho is massively underrated. Great front three though!

Take note arsenal. We could have had klopp a few years ago!!!

Almost a great result until Liverpool let in two goals. :(
Indeed. But the really amazing thing is that, despite Liverpool being 5-0 up at one stage, nobody's saying the tie is over. After Roma turned over a 3-goal deficit against Barcelona - that's the Barcelona who are 15 points ahead of Real Madrid in La Liga, the Barcelona whose two main strikers have scored nearly 70 goals between them this season - anything can happen.

anything can happen.
And this is why we keep watching. ;)

After watching a poor Bayern v Real game, I don't think Liverpool or Roma would be scared of either if they played them with that form in a final. Though RM do have the CL knack of winning it atm. :( :rolleyes: I think Liverpool are the form team out of the 4, but still seem to have the flaw to let teams back into games, (watch them lose points to another team near the bottom on Saturday :( :rolleyes: :LOL:) though thankfully that has been getting less frequent.

Probably my last night at the Emirates tonight before I let my season tickets go. One can only ask that the "good" Arsenal turn up.

I'm nervous already.

I wish I could get a season ticket or even a normal match day one !

If you've not been a member for x amount of years its a total nightmare...

:(

You can't let your season ticket go now, it is all about to be amazing now Wenger is going! :eek: Isn't it? ;) :rolleyes: :LOL:

Well I'm moving away, but my Nephew is taking over the tickets, so I will still have access to the odd game. I struggle to get to games now, and I only live 20 miles from the stadium (took me over 2 1/2 hours on Thursday), so trying to get to games from the England/Wales border is going to be a bit more difficult!

It will never be as good as his first 10 years.... Including that 2004 season.

Isn't it ironic that Wenger's Arsenal get beaten in added time by a ball hoofed into the area and nodded in by a big guy that can't play with his feet.......

So much for the "beautiful game"......

Real Madrid in the Champions League Final again. :( :rolleyes:

I thought Bayern put up a good fight, and give them notice that they weren't going to go down without a fight after 3 mins. ;) :LOL: They had chances, but the Real goalie had a very good game.

Whether it is Liverpool or Roma in the final, I don't want Real to win three in a row. :( I really dislike that team. :LOL:

Who'd have thought that, in hindsight, Liverpool's draw with West Brom was a good result?

On Tuesday, the Express & Star, the local newspaper for West Bromwich, set out exactly what would have to happen for Albion to survive.

1. Stoke do not beat Crystal Palace at home.
2. Albion beat Tottenham at The Hawthorns.
3. Swansea lose away to Bournemouth.
4. Southampton do not win away at Everton.
5. Swansea and Southampton draw in Wales.
6. Albion beat Crystal Palace away.
7. Southampton lose to Manchester City at home.
8. Swansea lose to Stoke at home.

So far 1, 2, 3 and 4 have happened. 7 looks like a good bet, and on current form 6 looks quite possible. What odds on the greatest of great escapes?

Who'd have thought that, in hindsight, Liverpool's draw with West Brom was a good result?

On Tuesday, the Express & Star, the local newspaper for West Bromwich, set out exactly what would have to happen for Albion to survive.

1. Stoke do not beat Crystal Palace at home.
2. Albion beat Tottenham at The Hawthorns.
3. Swansea lose away to Bournemouth.
4. Southampton do not win away at Everton.
5. Swansea and Southampton draw in Wales.
6. Albion beat Crystal Palace away.
7. Southampton lose to Manchester City at home.
8. Swansea lose to Stoke at home.

So far 1, 2, 3 and 4 have happened. 7 looks like a good bet, and on current form 6 looks quite possible. What odds on the greatest of great escapes?
If West Brom survive it would be the greatest escape. :eek: At least they are doing all they can to help themselves, finally. ;)

Sir Alex Ferguson rushed to hospital this morning and has had emergency surgery for a brain haemorrhage, hopefully he will recover ok!
Fingers crossed for him. After working for so long, you would like people to enjoy a long and healthy retirement.

He produced teams that were always a thorn in Arsenal's side and they defined the meaning of passion when they met, a great manager who I respect despite some of his methods and despite beating Arsenal often but I hope he fully recovers as I read it's believed he had a stroke.
Get well soon Fergie you old sod and play a bit more extra time.

Last edited:
Hopefully he has failed enough now that he doesn't get another job, and some new people get chances, rather than the usual failure faves merry go round. :rolleyes: How that man continued to get jobs baffled me. :confused: He must be great in interviews. :LOL:

Talking about Wenger? [emoji57]

I didn't know your knowledge of the whole history of world football was so thorough. ;)

As a Scottish manager then at Man U he won the lot :p:cool:

Alex Ferguson won 38 trophies, including 13 Premier League titles, five FA Cups and two UEFA Champions League titles.

Years Active: 1974 - 2013
Teams Managed: East Stirlingshire, Aberdeen, St. Mirren, Scotland, Manchester United

The former Manchester United coach created legends as he developed a very successful team which managed to win numerous titles. He won a record 13 Premier League titles and was also successful in ensuring his team always finished in the top two over the 21 seasons he was the boss, only coming third on three seasons.

In that time, he led the club to winning the UEFA Champions League twice, in 1983 and 2008. Ferguson won the premier league in three consecutive seaons from 1999 to 2001 and 2007 and 2009, an achievement not matched by another. Before joining United, Ferguson had established himself as a successful manager by leading the Scottish club Aberdeen to a number of title wins including the UEFA Cup Winners Cup in 1983.

Last edited:
Glad to read that Alex F is on the road to recovery. Not a fan of football but have to admire the man's achievements in that world. Hope he makes a full recovery and enjoys the rest of his days.

Glad to read that Alex F is on the road to recovery. Not a fan of football but have to admire the man's achievements in that world. Hope he makes a full recovery and enjoys the rest of his days.

Wayne Rooney has been to visit Sir Alex Ferguson.

'His speech is improving and he can now string a sentence together,' said Fergie...

Arsenal went into self destruct away from home again. I can't understand how we can put 5 past the team directly below us in the league, then go away to Leicester (who are lower down) and lose 3-1. It just doesn't make sense, but we have been like it all season.

Arsenal went into self destruct away from home again. I can't understand how we can put 5 past the team directly below us in the league, then go away to Leicester (who are lower down) and lose 3-1. It just doesn't make sense, but we have been like it all season.
Desire, all down to what they desire.
The Burnley game was a send off for Arsene, last night's game meant F*** All, they are secure in 6th and for most of them that seems "good enough". Hopefully the new manager will educate them that good enough isnt good enough.
Just have to love Ozil's statement,something along the lines of "I'm sure I'll be fully fit for the World Cup", obviously making sure that by being absent for most of this year (Jan 2018 onwards) he wouldnt get hurt in any way. Shirker, and he's supposed to be the one most of the younger players look up to as an example, suppose if maximising your enjoyment and salary is the example he is indeed a shining light.

WENGER OUT!!!!

WENGER OUT!!!!

Relax Simon, after this weekend he will be gone.

I watched something on Sky the other night about the "Wenger Years", in which David Dien made the following comment.

"I asked Robert Pires what was so special about that 2004 Invincible side, and he struggled to explain, then said, here's an example. When we lined up in the tunnel before the game, we always lined up in the same order, with Viera at the front. Before we walked out he would look at Thiery Henry and would say "we are going to do this", and nod his head. Thiery would turn to Jens Lehman man and nod, he would turn to me, I would tun to Freddie, and so it would go down the line."

Leadership, belief, and desire. All are lacking in today's Arsenal side....

I actually felt slightly sad watching Wenger at the end of the game yesterday. Just cant visualise someone else being there next season.

Just have to hope the board make a good choice and not the Enrique/Ancellotti types !

I actually felt slightly sad watching Wenger at the end of the game yesterday. Just cant visualise someone else being there next season.

Just have to hope the board make a good choice and not the Enrique/Ancellotti types !
It is sad when someone who has been somewhere for so long leaves. It has been a bit weird the praise he has been (rightly) getting when so many felt he should have gone a few years ago. :confused:

Almost a perfect day for Liverpool yesterday, Salah scores and looks back in form, Solanke and Robertson score their first goals for Liverpool. After the last few disappointing games Liverpool looked in good form ahead of the CL final. The only thing that went against us was Spurs winning the goalfest against Leicester to go 3rd. Unbelievable season Salah has had, :eek: which nobody saw coming in their wildest dreams. To beat the record of most goals in a season held by Shearer, Ronaldo and Suarez takes some doing. :clap: Hopefully he stays and has a season approaching this one next time.

Well done to Cit€h in reaching the 100 point mark. :eek: :clap: Didn't they leave it late though. ;) :LOL: If they do something similar next season no one will get near them again. :rolleyes: Like Salah's form this season, they may find it hard to reach the same heights again. Hopefully they do to make it competitive for longer. ;)

Great job by all the promoted teams to stay in the league. :clap:

Chel$ki seemed to end their disappointing season with a whimper, and Utd didn't seem to be much better. Let's hope they can raise their games in the Cup Final.

Great job by all the promoted teams to stay in the league. :clap:

Always a good season when the 3 new boys stay up, it means there is a good rotation of team coming into the league. I expect one or two players in those relegated sides to be back in the Prem next season, Pickford especially.

Almost a perfect day for Liverpool yesterday, Salah scores and looks back in form, Solanke and Robertson score their first goals for Liverpool. After the last few disappointing games Liverpool looked in good form ahead of the CL final. The only thing that went against us was Spurs winning the goalfest against Leicester to go 3rd. Unbelievable season Salah has had, :eek: which nobody saw coming in their wildest dreams. To beat the record of most goals in a season held by Shearer, Ronaldo and Suarez takes some doing. :clap: Hopefully he stays and has a season approaching this one next time.

I disagree - I think Salah had one of those amazing seasons where it just worked so well (and Mane & Firminho especially helped him). If Barca or someone came in at say £150m I would be tempted to take it. Then you simply buy Aubameyang for £80m and use the money on strengthening!

Always a good season when the 3 new boys stay up, it means there is a good rotation of team coming into the league. I expect one or two players in those relegated sides to be back in the Prem next season, Pickford especially.

Didnt know Everton had been relegated? :eek:

I disagree - I think Salah had one of those amazing seasons where it just worked so well (and Mane & Firminho especially helped him). If Barca or someone came in at say £150m I would be tempted to take it. Then you simply buy Aubameyang for £80m and use the money on strengthening!
If Coutinho was £142m, then Salah would be closer to £200m imho. Even if Salah doesn't have a season as good as this again, he will be in double figures from the wing, which is what was expected at the start of the season. Salah, Firmino and Mane seem to all be on the same page at moment, and long may it last, and hopefully they all realise they have something special together. I have my doubts about Mane though, and always have. He misses quite a lot and misplaces a lot of passes. And for a long period of the season didn't seem to want to pass to Robertson. Saying that he has done pretty well. :LOL:

I think there must be a reason Klopp didn't go after Aubameyang. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back