The Football Thread - Season 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone see the Debate on Sky last night? Stuart Pearce is an absolute tool, basically saying its not Wengers fault and it should be down to him to decide when to leave!!!

Probably wants a job as his new number 2 :D Mind you, we could do with some of his footballing attitude on the pitch!

For someone who supposedly loves Arsenal I think AW is showing some strange habits, clearly he/they have lost the plot and it's time a stronger Boss managed the "team" ( which is what clearly they are not) bashed a few heads/egos and for AW to wave goodbye before he wrecks his reputation completely.

You really couldn't make this up!!!

Players like Xhaka play appallingly yet are picked week after week. Lethargic football, absolutely no defensive ability... surely the board have to see sense and sack him NOW. Put one of the coaches in caretaker position till the end of the season while we look at candidates. After 29 games we are 5 points ahead of Burnley FFS, who have won 1 in 12 or something!!!

Of the squad (forgetting the young youth players) we only have 4 players who should stay. Aubameyang, Mikhartarian, Wilshire and Ozil. The rest should all be released in the summer!

Xhaka - lucky boy, could have been sent off. Big dive in the penalty box
Kolasinac, already on a yellow, retaliates against Schelotto who'd fouled him a couple of minutes earlier and nothing done

239ZrdTJ.jpg

Xhaka - lucky boy, could have been sent off. Big dive in the penalty box
Kolasinac, already on a yellow, retaliates against Schelotto who'd fouled him a couple of minutes earlier and nothing done

Did Xhaka get booked for it? If not the FA should take action as should the club. Disgraceful.

Was the Kolasinac one when the guy was down for 5 mins and taken off. Just looked like a hard challenge to me.

To be fair, if you look at it Arsenal are only 3/4/5 wins down on the clubs above them, which is far too much but isnt quite as awful as their play would suggest.
Man City have been absolutely unbelievable this year in how many wins they have had, reminds me of another team a few years ago, they had a great manager and a team spirit plus a couple of useful players.
But I believe its time for Wenger to go, he looks tired, his team plays like they are tired and the fans are tired of the "this time next year" line he rolls out time after time, he's no Dell Boy and he cant rely on his script writers any more.

For everyone's sake, including his own, it is time to go.

Did Xhaka get booked for it? If not the FA should take action as should the club. Disgraceful.

Was the Kolasinac one when the guy was down for 5 mins and taken off. Just looked like a hard challenge to me.

Yup hard challenge but went in with shoulder/arm to the head, just a couple of minutes after complaining the Brighton player had fouled him. Already on a yellow from the first half, he wasn't going for the ball but the man
http://arsenalist.com/f/2017-18/brighton-vs-arsenal/kolasinac-challenge-on-scheleto.html

Xhaka - wasn't touched, dived onto the ground feigning injury trying to claim a penalty, blatant. Lets hope the FA look at that and the unpunished Kolasinac challenge as well.
https://streamable.com/jjn2i

Again he was already booked, that should have been a yellow. Arsenal should have ended on 9 men

Last edited:
Koscielny, numerous fouls, took an attacker as the last man but was saved by a close offside decision
Wilshire, booked, then got all angry when the brighton players reacted to kolasinac challenge. Was pushign players around and had to be pulled away. No second booking for that
Mkhitaryan continues to look like appaling business for Arsenal - on a free for Sanchez - joke.

Mkhitaryan continues to look like appaling business for Arsenal - on a free for Sanchez - joke.

To be fair, Sanchez isn't exactly lighting up the place at Utd is he? Looks extremely average to me.

Mkhitaryan will look better with better players around him, right now, the rest of the team are awful, which, when you're a front man, makes it even harder work. (I played RW/RF at a reasonable level until I was injured - playing rugby!). If you drop too deep you have a problem going forward, if those supporting you don't do their jobs, doing yours is near impossible. Same for Ozil & Aubameyang.

Of the squad (forgetting the young youth players) we only have 4 players who should stay. Aubameyang, Mikhartarian, Wilshire and Ozil. The rest should all be released in the summer!
I understand the sentiment, but that is a recipe for relegation. ;)

I think the jury is out on Aubameyang and Mikhartarian, especially the former. :thinking: That no one bar a Chinese club were in for Aubameyang, and Klopp, his former manager wasn't linked with him at any time leads me to think he may not be a good deal. And I think most people have their own opinion of Ozil. Mine is he's good every so often, but lazy. The laziness was highlighted again on MotD 2 last night. Again, there isn't many teams after him unless I have missed it.

As for a good players playing better in better teams, doesn't everyone! The better players shine in any team, especially a poorer one.

Btw, I was very surprised by the restraint of the Arsenal fans over the last week of results, but it it does seem as the lowest point so far. I don't think their board has the will to make any changes though.

I was very surprised by the restraint of the Arsenal fans over the last week of results, but it it does seem as the lowest point so far. I don't think their board has the will to make any changes though.

On the contrary, I think Gazidis wants to make change, but the nervousness is "what happens after Arsene?". After what happened at Man Utd when Fergie left you can understand why. I keep hearing about Arteta, but I think that would be unwise, he's not managed on his own, and he was hardly a leader on the pitch, even when he was captain. For me it has to be either Joachim Löw or, if we're going down the ex-player route, Patrick Viera (who has admitted he has "unfinished business" at Arsenal.

Wenger has done a lot for our club, and I would just like him to make a dignified exit, before the whole of the fan base turn on him.

On the contrary, I think Gazidis wants to make change, but the nervousness is "what happens after Arsene?". After what happened at Man Utd when Fergie left you can understand why. I keep hearing about Arteta, but I think that would be unwise, he's not managed on his own, and he was hardly a leader on the pitch, even when he was captain. For me it has to be either Joachim Löw or, if we're going down the ex-player route, Patrick Viera (who has admitted he has "unfinished business" at Arsenal.

Wenger has done a lot for our club, and I would just like him to make a dignified exit, before the whole of the fan base turn on him.
I personally want wenger to..... Off. Doesn't deserve a good send off.

His bled our club to dry and where worse off before he joined arsenal

Has Joachim Löw given any indication of managing anyone other than Germany?

I can't see why Arteta is even considered. :thinking: He never came over as a particularly strong character, and that will be what is needed when Wenger leaves. And what experience as he had! There will be a lot of ins and outs and some kicking of bottoms needed. Viera seems a stronger character of course, but he seems embedded with the Cit€h empire, and I'd wait to see how he did in America first. This will be no time to takes risks on former players with no experience imho.

I think that ship may have almost sailed.

Xhaka - wasn't touched, dived onto the ground feigning injury trying to claim a penalty, blatant. Lets hope the FA look at that and the unpunished Kolasinac challenge as well.
https://streamable.com/jjn2i

Again he was already booked, that should have been a yellow. Arsenal should have ended on 9 men
They didn't even start with 9 men.

I thought Crystal Palace were going to hold on last night (well was hoping :D ). Good comeback by Man Utd

Not really, Wenger has taken us there without us needing to resort to Moyes!!
See he's quoted in the papers as saying he's not quitting at the end of this season, so the board will have to fire him, have they got the cahoonas to do that?

Low possibly, although he not managed at club level for a long time, and he has had the luxury of managing the best country in the world!! I like Thomas Tuchel who was at Dortmund or Simeone at Athletico. I know he is not a fashionable name but Dyce has done wonders at Burnley on very limited resource, also like Howe. My heart would say Tony Adams, although we should have gone for Klopp when he was available.

See he's quoted in the papers as saying he's not quitting at the end of this season, so the board will have to fire him, have they got the cahoonas to do that?

I actually think they have, but I reckon they will "ask" him to move upstairs, rather than give him an ultimatum. Even Wenger, as stubborn as he is, will realise that it would be a chance to walk away from the day to day management with some dignity.

Low possibly, although he not managed at club level for a long time, and he has had the luxury of managing the best country in the world!! I like Thomas Tuchel who was at Dortmund or Simeone at Athletico. I know he is not a fashionable name but Dyce has done wonders at Burnley on very limited resource, also like Howe. My heart would say Tony Adams, although we should have gone for Klopp when he was available.

There's still a lot in the press about Arteta, although he has no real experience. Tony Adams has proved that he can't manage a club, he's tried & failed on several occasions, although it would be a fairy tale ending, Mr Arsenal returning. He walked away from Wenger some years ago saying that Wenger wouldn't listen to anyone; that's probably why our defence is so bad, Wenger won't listen to Steve Bould. Bobby Pires is still at the club, but again, he has no experience.

Dyce & Howe have both proved they can manage teams on a budget, but what we need is somebody who can manage "stars & egos", not just average players.

Not until they've got a replacement and it's not an attractive team to manage at the moment. There's still money restrictions, the couldn't afford Evans for £12m in January, and the players are disinterested,

45 points after 29 games is the worse for many years, but looking back at the stats it's been a steady decline over the last few years
2016 52 points
2015 57 points
2014 59 points

I actually think they have, but I reckon they will "ask" him to move upstairs, rather than give him an ultimatum. Even Wenger, as stubborn as he is, will realise that it would be a chance to walk away from the day to day management with some dignity.

There's still a lot in the press about Arteta, although he has no real experience. Tony Adams has proved that he can't manage a club, he's tried & failed on several occasions, although it would be a fairy tale ending, Mr Arsenal returning. He walked away from Wenger some years ago saying that Wenger wouldn't listen to anyone; that's probably why our defence is so bad, Wenger won't listen to Steve Bould. Bobby Pires is still at the club, but again, he has no experience.

Dyce & Howe have both proved they can manage teams on a budget, but what we need is somebody who can manage "stars & egos", not just average players.

But managers have to start somewhere. Pochettino was at a similar size club - Southampton and has handled things well at Spurs. Zidane had worked only at Real Madrid B team, Jose went from an average team (Porto) to Chelsea and star players. Even Pep only had a year at Barca B. So no reason why Dyche and Howe would not succeed. Van Gaal had lots of experience but was poor!

Mmm, :thinking: Porto were not an average team, being historically one of the top three teams in Portugal along with Benfica and Sporting. Benfica were another team Moanhino briefly managed as well as União de Leiria. Add to that with the average Porto team he won their League twice, the UEFA Cup and the Champion's League. He deserved to get a chance at a 'big club'.

Zidane was one of the great players, and was obviously fast tracked to take the top job at Real at some point. It seemed to work pretty well, though it may not have done.

Same thing with Guardiola, it may not have worked, though as with Zidane and Real, it was easier to do with top players. But there was no guarantee.

Pochettino seems the one who had gone back as a former player to a club, to Espanyol, and while it seems he didn't set the world alight, it was enough to attract Southampton. And that led to Spurs. I don't see any former Arsenal players doing well as coaches or managers, unless I'm missing someone obvious.

That said, it would be nice for Dyce and Howe get chances at bigger clubs, but they seem to be happy enough where they are. They may not have won cups, but they have had teams promoted, which some haven't even done. Both are at the core of the clubs though and have seemed to not be chasing larger clubs.

Arsenal could be at the crucial point when Wenger goes, as with Utd, whoever follows a manager who has been in a job for decades, there will be a lot to change unless things are going well, and most people agree it is not going great at Arsenal. ;) To do that while maintaining the same level will be a huge job. I think they need experience, and hopefully a big name, because the players they have will have to up their game, and may not respond to a new unproven manager. Time will tell.

Arsenal could be at the crucial point when Wenger goes, as with Utd, whoever follows a manager who has been in a job for decades, there will be a lot to change unless things are going well, and most people agree it is not going great at Arsenal. ;) To do that while maintaining the same level will be a huge job. I think they need experience, and hopefully a big name, because the players they have will have to up their game, and may not respond to a new unproven manager. Time will tell.

A 4 year old could probably maintain the same level!!

Seriously, have you seen us, everything is wrong, tactics (how many do we concede at set pieces), bad signings, lack of motivation/urgency/passion from players, lots of silly mistakes, ambling around the pitch... That is the frustration, they are not responding to the manager so cant get any worse!

We could have seriously challenged for the league a few years ago but it took Wenger about 5 years before signing a decent keeper (who is now past it). Its the same mistakes being made like that, or not signing players who can defend, or fight, that frustrate fans. Sure, it is hard to compete with City but we should be up there with Spurs, Chelsea, and Utd... We know that the club could easily be doing better, and with some good signings doing much better.

COYS,
Dream start!
Shame it didn't end well. Despite being an Arsenal fan I would have loved to see a (the other) North London club do well.
Matt

There we go, great tactical change by the manager, Costa caused us problems down the wing. We had a great first half, just couldn't capitalise on the chances. Dyer should have gone off half time, he was slowed by the challenge in the first half. Alli did well not to react to how many times he was kicked/fouled. I'm surprised Son was still moving after they targeted him when he started running past them.

Fa cup then... :D

Can anyone on here fix sat navs?

Having a problem with mine.... it is saying Tottenham is in Europe???

Can anyone on here fix sat navs?

Having a problem with mine.... it is saying Tottenham is in Europe???

My mate sent me a recording this morning, of the North bank singing "They've done it again, they've done it again...."

Well, the jewel of North London win away in Italy.... :banana:
Brilliant performance under the circumstances and with the personnel available. Chambers at RB and Welbeck up top? I'll take a 0-2 away win all day long.

Terrific result, but would the supporters have been happy 5/10 years ago watching Arsenal compete in the Europa (or as I prefer to call it No-hopers) cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back