The Football Thread - Season 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he is playing in a pretty average team (unfortunately)

Leicester won the league, imho, with group of mostly average players, and 3-4 very good players. The key was everyone playing to their maximum every week with a gameplan the rest were unable to work out and counter. It was helped by the 'top' teams having 'off' seasons by their normal standards, but it takes nothing away from the achievement. I doubt we will see anything similar again.

Roma bid £25m for him last season but Leicester turned it down.

So the price rises in £24m steps for a player not playing as well as he was a couple of years ago. ;) :LOL:

2016 African player of the year https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/05/riyad-mahrez-african-player-of-the-year-2016 Mo Salah won it this year ! I'm not suggesting he is worth what Salah is worth but £25m value players do not win this award.

I think the African Player of the Year Award had a lot to do with the League winning season. That he was not even in the 24 nominees this year (2017) says a lot about his change in form for me.

I can totally see why many managers Allardyce/Pulis/etc etc would not want Mahrez, he does not put the 'hard miles' in. Physically he is not up to it. He was told early in his career he was too 'weedy' to be a footballer.

It is not just physicality, it is work rate too that Klopp seems to want, and I don't think Mahrez has that. Maybe Klopp could bring it out in him, but I doubt it. I'll give Coutinho his due, he did the put the work in as time went on compared to when he first arrived.

Danny Drinkwater left Leicester for Chelsea for £35m. He did great for us but he was a hard working 'water carrier' could never do things with the ball that Mahrez can.

Drinkwater also had a great season, and the partnership with Kante looked like a good proposition to get back together for Chel$ki, and £35m for them is nothing. And he has turned out so far to be a squad player rather than a regular starter. They can afford £35m on a squad player. :eek: :rolleyes:

I hope no-one buys him because Vardy's goals are going to dry up if Mahrez leaves.

I hope for Leicester fans that he doesn't move, but also that he plays as good as he is capable more often too. ;) But I certainly hope Liverpool don't go after him. ;) :LOL:[/QUOTE]

Well the Arse got dumped out of the FA cup by a club with a better european record than them :D

Most clubs have a better European history than Arsenal, but at least they have history. Spurs can have the biggest stadium in the world, but that won't change the fact that I'm 56, and they haven't won the league in my lifetime.

They have been known to put the pressure on from time to time though [emoji16]

When you have won the FA CUP 3 times in 4 years, when you have won the Premier League at least 3 times, won the title on your local rivals ground (twice) and one the PL away to the champions, I might start taking Spurs fans seriously.

You have nothing to shout about until you actually win something.

When you have won the FA CUP 3 times in 4 years, when you have won the Premier League at least 3 times, won the title on your local rivals ground (twice) and one the PL away to the champions, I might start taking Spurs fans seriously.
Mmm, did football only start with the Premier League! :confused: :rolleyes:

And it has to be at least 3 times winning the PL because if Spurs actually win the Premier League that would be an achievement would it not against the billionaires of Utd, Cit€h and Chel$ki. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Most clubs have a better European history than Arsenal, but at least they have history. Spurs can have the biggest stadium in the world, but that won't change the fact that I'm 56, and they haven't won the league in my lifetime.

:plus1:

Deja vu.., another disgraceful shambles. Not seen the post match interview, whose fault was it this time? Refs, FA, the weather????

Deja vu.., another disgraceful shambles. Not seen the post match interview, whose fault was it this time? Refs, FA, the weather????

If you're talking Arsenal, then the whole team! 1-0 up and you'd have thought they'd have learned a lesson or two but no - to a man they defended like Coco the clown. Deserved all they got

Why talk about Arsenal ?

I have just watched the match of the season, maybe the match of the decade. Liverpool 4 Man City 3.
Breathtaking, such pace power and skill. I do not support either of these teams but with performances like this they are a credit to the Premier league.

Last edited:
Why talk about Arsenal ?

I have just watched the match of the season, maybe the match of the decade. Liverpool 4 Man City 3.
Breathtaking, such pace power and skill. I do not support either of these teams but with performances like this they are a credit to the Premier league.

I don't why I talk about Arsenal really - they don't deserve my typing skills :)

Watched the last 20 minutes of the the Liverpool match. Looked like a proper match. End to end and goals galore. Couldn't ask for much more.

I saw Van Dyke on the bench - any idea why?

60/61 League and Cup double doesn't ring any bells, first team to do it and when it was more difficult as you got 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw, of course the great Arsenal team repeated it 10 years later. So Spurs did it in your lifetime, albeit you were only about 1 or just born?
Matt

Last edited:
60/61 League and Cup double doesn't ring any bells, first team to do it and when it was more difficult as you got 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw, of course the great Arsenal team repeated it 10 years later. So Spurs did it in your lifetime, albeit you were only about 3?
Matt

If he's 56, he won't have been 3. Chances are, he was born after May 61 in which case, it won't have been in his lifetime.

I don't why I talk about Arsenal really - they don't deserve my typing skills :)

Watched the last 20 minutes of the the Liverpool match. Looked like a proper match. End to end and goals galore. Couldn't ask for much more.

I saw Van Dyke on the bench - any idea why?
Tight hamstring so wasn't risked.

If he's 56, he won't have been 3. Chances are, he was born after May 61 in which case, it won't have been in his lifetime.
Yeah me maths went a bit AWOL, he might just have been born :)

Most clubs have a better European history than Arsenal
Eh? Are you drunk?

I'm not an Arsenal fan, but that is clearly the contents of the Augean stables before Hercules popped round.

Correct, December 1961.

My point is, Arsenal are going through a terrible few seasons, but all the upperty Spuds fans are shouting about how good they are, but they haven't won much over the last 50 years. A couple of FA Cups and a League Cup I think, that's about it. Spurs are currently a better side than Arsenal, I'm not stupid enough to argue that one, but until they translate that skill & ability into winning things, it's a bit like having a dog that doesn't bark....

Liverpool V Cit€h was a great game. I don't think I have seen Liverpool score 4 goals as good in one game. :clap: As always they made it exciting at the end, :( :rolleyes: but I think the best team won on the day. :)

I also watched the Bournemouth v Arsenal game too and Arsenal were very poor. I fear for the rest of their season if Sanchez and Ozil go. I'm not a big fan of Ozil, but he and Sanchez are the quality amongst a very average squad of players imho. When they are not all on form there doesn't seem to be much grit in the squad.:thinking:

Looks like Arsenal will be lumbered with him till the end of the season. It's a real shame, when he first got there he was stunning, turned up for every game with the right attitude and a desire to win and run his legs off, something clearly went badly wrong and he's now a petulant waste of space that upsets most of his "team" mates. Arsenal need to off load him pronto. If I were in charge and wanted to make the point that I was the Boss, to all of them, I'd loan him out to West Ham or some other similar team. Discipline needs to be restored in the Arsenal camp and the players need to be reminded who is in charge and despite their inflated salaries and egos they are not bigger than either the Club or it's main representative (the manager). And not just at Arsenal either.

Looks like Arsenal will be lumbered with him till the end of the season. It's a real shame, when he first got there he was stunning, turned up for every game with the right attitude and a desire to win and run his legs off, something clearly went badly wrong and he's now a petulant waste of space that upsets most of his "team" mates. Arsenal need to off load him pronto. If I were in charge and wanted to make the point that I was the Boss, to all of them, I'd loan him out to West Ham or some other similar team. Discipline needs to be restored in the Arsenal camp and the players need to be reminded who is in charge and despite their inflated salaries and egos they are not bigger than either the Club or it's main representative (the manager). And not just at Arsenal either.

I don’t blame him. He gives 110% every game whilst the majority of his team mates either can’t be bothered or make the same mistakes week in week out. Players keep getting picked after poor performances and the manager is completely clueless!!

I don’t blame him. He gives 110% every game whilst the majority of his team mates either can’t be bothered or make the same mistakes week in week out. Players keep getting picked after poor performances and the manager is completely clueless!!
I don't blame him either. Deserves better

Last edited:

His goals merely mask the fact that he's not a team player, and he keeps losing the ball when a pass would be easier. He is a disruptive influence off the field too. The fact that even City say the are not prepared to stretch to his wage demands as it will make him their highest paid player says everything in my book.

He's a great footballer, but he's no Henry or Bergkamp (or even Pires).

His flaws might be correctable by the right manager. Ferguson (despite, or perhaps because of, his many sins) managed to turn numerous petulant show-ponies into top-class players with a decent work ethic.

His flaws might be correctable by the right manager. Ferguson (despite, or perhaps because of, his many sins) managed to turn numerous petulant show-ponies into top-class players with a decent work ethic.
I don't think Sanchez is worth £400k a week, but then is anyone apart from Messi and Ronaldo, and even that is questionable. :rolleyes: If Sanchez an Moaninho are in sync, it could be a good signing, if not.... :rolleyes: :LOL: For that money it surely has to be. Moaninho can't say anything about money being spent by other clubs when the Sanchez deal is reportedly worth £180m! :eek:

I feel sorry for Lingard and Rashford, who may find the chances limited even more if/when Sanchez turns up. I think both of those could be huge for Utd if given long runs in their team.

Well that's the end of the Sanchez Arsenal setup, good riddance in my view. Shouldn't think he will get too warm a welcome at Emirates.

Well that's the end of the Sanchez Arsenal setup, good riddance in my view. Shouldn't think he will get too warm a welcome at Emirates.

Why? He was a player that gave a damn unlike passengers like welbeck, Elneny, and our defenders and manager!!

Sanchez will be fine at Man U with Moaninho (fits perfectly) The man is a 'creep' and 'sucks up' to 'star' players, always has done.

Look who left Chelsea when he was manager due to lack of game time culminating in lack of form / low confidence. Arjen Robben, Lukaku, De Bruyne, Ryan Bertrand, Mohammad Salah etc etc. He sold a young Leonardo Bonucci when Inter Manager and there are many more including his time at Real
Madrid.

You have to feel for the young(er) English players who are going to become 'bit-part' players now because Sanchez is going to be on that teamsheet whatever his form.

He nevers stays longer than a couple of years at a club because the players work him out and what he is.

Did you see the Man Utd TV presentation of Sanchez. What a professional piece of work. Very good.
https://BANNED/ManUtd/status/955500480582500353

So Arsenal turn down money for a straight swap for a player who doesn't want to be at Arsenal and they are going to pay him £200K a week, the highest paid player.
Meanwhile they are offering Wiltshire a pay drop of £30K a week.

No wonder Wenger has lost the dressing room

Why? He was a player that gave a damn unlike passengers like welbeck, Elneny, and our defenders and manager!!
When he first turned up I thought he was really good, worked his socks off and tried damn hard in every game and wanted to play in every game. Something went wrong, badly wrong, he lost interest in staying at Arsenal, although to his credit he still played well and was very committed, probably a great deal more than a lot of the others, but clearly he'd had enough, maybe of the manager maybe of his team "mates", maybe an Agent whispered in his ear - who knows.
Having said that there's been many a case where not all the team get on but they respect each others abilities and play well together (A quote often repeated by Tony Adams) and want to win.
For the good of Arsenal I think he had to go, either that or a new manager and build a team round Sanchez, which would have been my preferred option but Wenger is staying for ever, next move will be to the boardroom or Director of Football or some such made up title so he can keep control, I pity the next manager if that happens.

Correct, December 1961.

My point is, Arsenal are going through a terrible few seasons, but all the upperty Spuds fans are shouting about how good they are, but they haven't won much over the last 50 years. A couple of FA Cups and a League Cup I think, that's about it. Spurs are currently a better side than Arsenal, I'm not stupid enough to argue that one, but until they translate that skill & ability into winning things, it's a bit like having a dog that doesn't bark....

I am a Bolton supporter, but I do appreciate other teams, particularly Spurs.
If we start at 1962, then Spurs have won -
5 FA Cup wins - 61/62, 66/67, 80/81, 81/82, 90/91
4 League Cup - 70/71, 72/73, 98/99, 07/08
4 FA Charity Shield
UEFA Cup Winners Cup - 62/63
2 Europa League - 71/72, 83/84

Dont forget Wenger didnt sign Welbeck and when he (Wenger) got back from holiday stated quite clearly to the press he wouldnt have bought him, didnt exactly fill the player with enthusiasm did it.

I am a Bolton supporter, but I do appreciate other teams, particularly Spurs.
If we start at 1962, then Spurs have won -
5 FA Cup wins - 61/62, 66/67, 80/81, 81/82, 90/91
4 League Cup - 70/71, 72/73, 98/99, 07/08
4 FA Charity Shield
UEFA Cup Winners Cup - 62/63
2 Europa League - 71/72, 83/84

Well I did state in my lifetime, which is December '61...

No league championships in there I notice, but in that time frame Arsenal have 6 (1970–71, 1988–89, 1990–91, 1997–98, 2001–02, 2003–04)
Also, 10 FA Cups (1970–71, 1978–79, 1992–93, 1997–98, 2001–02, 2002–03, 2004–05, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2016–17). (Arsenal hold the record with 13 FA Cup final wins)
Only 2 League cups (1986–87, 1992–93)
8 Charity Shield wins (1991, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2014, 2015, 2017)
And as I stated, Europe has been disappointing..... UEFA cup in 1993–94, and the Fairs Cup 1969–70

Arsenal had 20 consecutive years in the Champions League (no other UK side has equaled that). Spurs may be good right now, but they have won very little in recent years, and my point was all about the Spurs fans singing their greatness, but 2 seasons do not make an era...

Well I did state in my lifetime, which is December '61...

No league championships in there I notice, but in that time frame Arsenal have 6 (1970–71, 1988–89, 1990–91, 1997–98, 2001–02, 2003–04)
Also, 10 FA Cups (1970–71, 1978–79, 1992–93, 1997–98, 2001–02, 2002–03, 2004–05, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2016–17). (Arsenal hold the record with 13 FA Cup final wins)
Only 2 League cups (1986–87, 1992–93)
8 Charity Shield wins (1991, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2014, 2015, 2017)
And as I stated, Europe has been disappointing..... UEFA cup in 1993–94, and the Fairs Cup 1969–70

Arsenal had 20 consecutive years in the Champions League (no other UK side has equaled that). Spurs may be good right now, but they have won very little in recent years, and my point was all about the Spurs fans singing their greatness, but 2 seasons do not make an era...

You originally said - "A couple of FA cups and a League cup I think, thats about it", so the truth is very different.
I think that Arsenal have been outstanding, and in my opinion that is down to one thing - Arsene Wenger.

Arsenal had 20 consecutive years in the Champions League (no other UK side has equaled that).
Is that a thing now is it, consecutive years in a competition without winning it? :eek: :confused: Because Liverpool have been in the Premier League for what 26 years and counting without winning it. :( :rolleyes: :LOL: Now the Champions League..... ;) :LOL:
So Arsenal turn down money for a straight swap for a player who doesn't want to be at Arsenal and they are going to pay him £200K a week, the highest paid player.
No doubt Mkhitaryan was on a very good deal at Utd, and he didn't want to move, so was in a very good bargaining position. I hope for that money he is better for Arsenal than he was at Utd.

As for Sanchez, I hope he crashes and burns, but I think he will do well. His arrival may hinder Lindgard and Rashford, but Moanhinho cares not for the young players. :( :rolleyes:

You originally said - "A couple of FA cups and a League cup I think, thats about it", so the truth is very different.

Who Cares? They still have a VERY long way to go get close to Arsenal. And I will predict that Kane & Ali will go at the end of this season as Spurs still won't win anything....

#nohistory #northlondonisred

Is that a thing now is it, consecutive years in a competition without winning it?

It shows consistency, which is what builds great clubs. Liverpool in the 80's, Manure in the first half of the Premier league era. Great teams may not always win, but they always are there or there abouts....

Who Cares? They still have a VERY long way to go get close to Arsenal. And I will predict that Kane & Ali will go at the end of this season as Spurs still won't win anything....

#nohistory #northlondonisred

Not going to happen no matter how much arse fans hope it will. They'll at least stay to play in the new stadium. The year after that however....

It shows consistency, which is what builds great clubs. Liverpool in the 80's, Manure in the first half of the Premier league era. Great teams may not always win, but they always are there or there abouts....
Which Arsenal have been, there or there abouts as you say, but the consistency of getting in the Champion's League and winning Cups has not been good enough for a lot of Arsenal fans. :thinking: They have a level of success 95% of clubs would bite arms off for but they are still not happy. :rolleyes:

Talking of consistency, during the epic loss to Swansea by Liverpool on Monday,:banghead: I think the commentator said Liverpool had not finished outside the top 8 for 50 years! :eek: Thankfully they have won the League, and few other things in that time. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back