The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

My method of getting things passed for purchase is to keep talking about how much use the item will get until she asks "If you buy the f*****g thing will you shut up about it?".
Not that I have to get things passed any more than she needs my permission to spend her money on boots etc..

My method of getting things passed for purchase is to keep talking about how much use the item will get until she asks "If you buy the f*****g thing will you shut up about it?".
Not that I have to get things passed any more than she needs my permission to spend her money on boots etc..
That really made me chuckle

It works for cameras, lenses, cars and motorbikes. Pretty sure a mistress wouldn't be passed as an acceptable expense - luckily, I don't need (or want!!!) one of them!

Dinners, gifts etc.. Probably more expensive than cars or motorbikes (AND age one faster!!!)

O no... there lies the seed of the next attack!:exit:

Change has gone on an adapter for Canon EF lenses, some of them have an image circle big enough to cover the medium format sensor. Looking forward to testing :)

I assume it is required exclusively for the detailed photography of products samples for customer enquiries...

Hmm. No confessions in over a week. Perhaps buying Easter eggs... :snaphappy:

Forgive me bretheren for I have sinned .... after a lot of deliberation, the new Canon 70-200 f2.8 arrived this morning. Yes, it's a heavy beast, yes, my old 70-300 was perfectly adequate, yes, it was a bit pricey ...

Off to try it out .... back later ....

I recently set up a new Limited company and will be asking my accountant if I can buy a 90mm macro through it, purely for business and my last purchase of camera equipment ever, honest!

Very sensible choice. Are you a dentist? Mine uses a macro with a ring flash to photograph patients' teeth. (A bit weird to have that in your face, but the pics are great, apparently ...)

Just had some good news about my ACL graft - so perhaps a wee GAS moment is in order. I will try and limit it to an accessory!

ANY excuse for GAS SHOULD not BE PASSED up!

Very sensible choice. Are you a dentist? Mine uses a macro with a ring flash to photograph patients' teeth. (A bit weird to have that in your face, but the pics are great, apparently ...)

Not a dentist, designer in the construction industry, photographer and illustrator uploading to stock sites, shopping with the good lady wife. Not much time for much else.......

I'm blaming my son. He's 13 so old enough to take it. I bought him a telescope just after Christmas as he'd been on about it for a while. He started taking phone shots through it. So I bought him an A6000 & as he showed some Milky Way interest a Samyang 12/2.

We went out shooting one night & it was all good. Nice bit of time together in the pitch black in the middle of nowhere when I should have been sleeping before a whole day at work...... Anyway, my lovely Voigtlander 21mm was ok but not perfect at f/3.5 so last week I picked up a used Samyang 24/1.4 from a friend of mine :)

I don't need anything else now. Honest.....

Want=/=Need!!!

Dinners, gifts etc.. Probably more expensive than cars or motorbikes (AND age one faster!!!)
But you do age which is more than can be said for a lot of motorbike owners aka Donors

Well, I am on the sofa at the moment rather too much as I have just had an ACL reconstruction done many years after the original injury. Of course, this means I am meandering around photographic websites in between doing my physio prescribed exercises. No driving for another month... I run two systems and love them both. Canon FF and Olympus. Anyway, I heard today that my images did well in a club competition with subjects that are not my usual so I thought it would be a good thing to get a prime lens for my Oly - to the victor the spoils, I thought. So I am hankering after the Oly 17mm f1.2.:D Then I start watching videos about the Canon 24mm f1.4 mk 2 [I found one used on a forum]:oops: :$ and then watch one about the 11mm-24mm :exit:and then I tell myself to get a grip. I think the latter is a big, heavy, expensive beast [I decided not to look] so it is easy to walk away from that. Wish me luck. Further confessions from other sufferers would be welcome.

.... It sounds to me that you aren't suffering from GAS as you recline on your sofa (without a fever) :D but you are finding that there is no such thing as one perfect camera or lens and that it's always a matter of choosing 'horses-for-courses' for the gear which best suits you individually for what you want to photograph and also taking into account any circumstances of physical strength or mobility.

I know a successful wildlife and landscape professional who uses both Canon and Olympus systems and chooses which according to her mission.

If you have the funds available and are serious about your photography, then in my opinion there is no need to hold back (or feel guilty?) about what you spend or own - Just enjoy whatever gear you decide to have. Happy Hunting! :)

But you do age which is more than can be said for a lot of motorbike owners aka Donors

35 years of biking and I'm still aging.

Its the eve of a trip to LCE, how do i turn back? Have got permission off the 'banker' to go and everything, just got to shed myself of the guilt and do I really need it feeling. Will see how it feels in my hand. Fuji X-H1 or Fuji X-T3!!!

Last edited:
Back