The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

Confession time, today I bought a light box from Amazon and an automated macro rail on here.
My wife gently reminded me that just a month ago I told her that I had all the gear I needed for the foreseeable future :LOL:
Tell her to try looking through your glasses! :LOL:

Summicron 35mm is in my head. Problem is I’d need to move all my Fujifilm gear to fund it. It’s a tough call at present. :banghead:

I don't know why I keep visiting this thread. You're all a bad influence :ROFLMAO:

Because if you buy something you can show your other half this thread and say "SEE! These people spend far more than ME!"

Last edited:
I bought a manual folding machine today... well, I didn't spend anything at the Photo show. :exit:

Because if you buy something you can show your other half this thread and say "SEE! These people spend for more than ME!"
He won't be able to see because his eyes will already have glazed over the minute I mention the word photography :ROFLMAO: ... which can have its advantages when you're about to spend money.... which of course I'm not... (they don't have the halo emoji on here...)

I’m struggling to decide what to buy next. I’ve decided I cannot drag a Canon 500mm f4 or Sigma 300-800mm around, so it’s time to rethink. I do a mix of wildlife, landscape and architectural/urban. Torn between the Canon R6 (I’ve used Canon since1978) and the Olympus OM-D E1mkiii. Problem is I want the full frame quality, especially for low light, but the Olympus has the reach. I’d team the R6 with a Sigma 60-600mm for wildlife, obviously the OM1 would get a 100-400mm. Biggest decision problem is the animal eye af on the R6 compared with the OM1, against the size and weight of an Olympus system. All balanced against what my 7D mkii plus lenses are worth - it’s driving me mad!

I’m struggling to decide what to buy next. I’ve decided I cannot drag a Canon 500mm f4 or Sigma 300-800mm around, so it’s time to rethink. I do a mix of wildlife, landscape and architectural/urban. Torn between the Canon R6 (I’ve used Canon since1978) and the Olympus OM-D E1mkiii. Problem is I want the full frame quality, especially for low light, but the Olympus has the reach. I’d team the R6 with a Sigma 60-600mm for wildlife, obviously the OM1 would get a 100-400mm. Biggest decision problem is the animal eye af on the R6 compared with the OM1, against the size and weight of an Olympus system. All balanced against what my 7D mkii plus lenses are worth - it’s driving me mad!

Get the R5 and then you can crop in for reach - then let me know if it is worth it !!

If you’re looking for full frame quality with low light performance then avoid the Olympus m4/3 system sensor. That system has many excellent qualities particularly the lenses and is certainly light weight compared to a Full frame Canon body with a 500mm lens.
I‘ve been on that journey from Canon through Olympus to where I am today, Sony, for many of the same reasons as you. Trying to adapt my collection of excellent canon lenses to Sony was unrewarding to say the least and the subsequent complete transition was financially painful but ultimately worthwhile.

If you’re looking for full frame quality with low light performance then avoid the Olympus m4/3 system sensor. That system has many excellent qualities particularly the lenses and is certainly light weight compared to a Full frame Canon body with a 500mm lens.
I‘ve been on that journey from Canon through Olympus to where I am today, Sony, for many of the same reasons as you. Trying to adapt my collection of excellent canon lenses to Sony was unrewarding to say the least and the subsequent complete transition was financially painful but ultimately worthwhile.
spot on I had this same journey and same conclusion .
Rob.

Will going for an R6 or indeed any other FF mirrorless save you enough bulk and weight if you're going for these big heavy lenses? With something like a compact prime or standard zoom mirrorless can save you significant bulk and weight but with these long lenses the savings could be less significant. The specs are there to be read so only you can decide but I'd have thought that the only way to save significant bulk and weight whilst retaining the long lenses would be to go for a smaller format such as APS-C as you already have that, if that format does offer any way to save significant bulk and weight, or MFT.

MFT can't live with FF if you pixel peep but your 7D II is another matter as AFAIK that camera was never thought to be cutting edge for image quality and checking reviews seems to reinforce my memory so the gap between it and MFT may not be as chasmic as you might think and for whole images or light crops maybe you could be happy. Only you can decide and there are plenty of examples to see on line. I suppose it also depends what you mean by low light as for some people having to use ISO 1600 means low light. APS-C is a possibility but you'll have to check the specs to see if the bulk and weight savings are worthwhile.

I think you need both... :exit:

I have Olympus and Canon FF kit. I use my Olympus much more than my Canon, but if I know it's going to be low light, I do take my Canon. I'm much more likely to take my Oly with me on the off chance of taking photos.

I had a 7Dii prior to my Olympus and I prefer the files out of the Olympus. Once you add the long lenses, you won't save much weight if you go FF mirrorless.

If you check the Olympus thread, you'll see many are very pleased with the 100-400 but I doubt it will be great in low light. I haven't tried it - I have the 300 f/4. I think a 100 (150?)-500 wider aperture lens is coming.

Just to make things easier ( or more difficult ) just go fot a Nikon D500 with a Nikon 300pf lens My wife Pat uses nothing else because it is so light and easy to use.

see here -- https://www.flickr.com/photos/88663491@N02/

spot on I had this same journey and same conclusion .
Rob.
Check and see if the Olympus does the TEST and WOW service. You can then try it. Avery experienced wildlife togO know switched to Olympus albeit the EM1X and he loves it. So, if you can find a dealer that still offers the service, best way to do it. Then look at Scott Bourne’s settings before you head out to try it.
You could also look at the Oly thread for examples of what people can do with e Oly for wildlife. How big do you want to print, display your images is another factor.

Solved one part of my G.A.S.

What did it cost? ... EVERYTHING.. well sold my Leica Q2 and Hasselblad X1D, got the X907+45p (I have 2 other lenses for X system)

121080266_10164590426870227_3019724747450001941_n.jpg

The rest of my G.A.S. is for a Leica M10 Monochrom, but I've nothing to sell... so will need to wait until the covid/ability to work balance shifts.

Spotted a Buzzard on the dog walk a coupla times.
Olympus EM1 mk3 & 100-400 on its way.
My EM1.3 and 100-400 arrived on Tuesday, a mere two months after ordering them. If the lens is anything like my old Lumix 100-300, you're guaranteed not to see any birds of prey within shooting distance ever again I swear that thing's got a curse on it!

Check and see if the Olympus does the TEST and WOW service. You can then try it. Avery experienced wildlife togO know switched to Olympus albeit the EM1X and he loves it. So, if you can find a dealer that still offers the service, best way to do it. Then look at Scott Bourne’s settings before you head out to try it.
You could also look at the Oly thread for examples of what people can do with e Oly for wildlife. How big do you want to print, display your images is another factor.
I'm Not looking to buy one mate I had the EM1X 300f4 converters and other lenses it is a great camera system -I Sold it all and went Sony a9mkII full frame for the better high ISO and far better AF system .

Rob.

I'm Not looking to buy one mate I had the EM1X 300f4 converters and other lenses it is a great camera system -I Sold it all and went Sony a9mkII full frame for the better high ISO and far better AF system .

Rob.
I would have done that but the weight wasn’t really much different hence having two systems and resisting an R5.

It’s quite useful that they didn’t think to get enough supply in the shops.;)

That's some credit card bill right there!! :exit:

I have a rule about not putting camera equipment on credit card, well, I do put pay it off right away and I do this so I collect my air miles :)

The R and the 15-35, 28-70 and 70-200 were bought late in 2019, I then sold the rest of my EF kit and a few other bits to fund the R5, 50 1.2 and the 100-500.

I have a rule about not putting camera equipment on credit card, well, I do put pay it off right away and I do this so I collect my air miles :)

The R and the 15-35, 28-70 and 70-200 were bought late in 2019, I then sold the rest of my EF kit and a few other bits to fund the R5, 50 1.2 and the 100-500.
How are you finding the R5 compared with the previous camera you owned which was...?

Those barstewards at Sony have just launched another cashback campaign, although I also like the look of the new Fuji XS-10 for a street set up.

How are you finding the R5 compared with the previous camera you owned which was...?

5D Mark IV and the EOSR (which I still own).
I've loved the EOSR since the day I bought it, I love all the new benefits of mirrorless, especially the EVF, exposure simulation and focus peaking. The only disappointment for me with the R was the slightly slower frame rate when in Servo mode, when I'm doing running photography, I obviously haven't had a chance to test the R5 with sports yet as everything is cancelled but I'm sure it will be amazing.

I've only used the R5 a couple of times so far but I love it, the extra megapixel count is really noticeable especially when cropping in during post. I took it down to Liverpool last night and had a quick walk around the waterfront and my initial look at the pictures made me smile. :) The return of the joystick and the click wheel on the back is also a massive improvement on the R.

I was chatting to another photographer whilst there and she was talking about the weight of kit, she couldn't believe how light the RF 100-500 was, and the RF 70-200 compared to her EF version. That for me is the big win, weight. When I go for a camera walk I never know what to take and therefore almost always end up taking most of my kit :ROFLMAO:

Last night I took most of my RF lenses - 50mm, 15-35mm, 70-200mm, 100-500mm. Only left the 35 and 28-70 behind.
I only used the 15-35 and 100-500 so could have left the rest at home but even with all those lenses once my bag is on my back, plus the tripod, I can walk for miles with it (and I suffer from a chronic bad back after surgery due to a slipped disc).

Last edited:
5D Mark IV and the EOSR (which I still own).
I've loved the EOSR since the day I bought it, I love all the new benefits of mirrorless, especially the EVF, exposure simulation and focus peaking. The only disappointment for me with the R was the slightly slower frame rate when in Servo mode, when I'm doing running photography, I obviously haven't had a chance to test the R5 with sports yet as everything is cancelled but I'm sure it will be amazing.

I've only used the R5 a couple of times so far but I love it, the extra megapixel count is really noticeable especially when cropping in during post. I took it down to Liverpool last night and had a quick walk around the waterfront and my initial look at the pictures made me smile. :) The return of the joystick and the click wheel on the back is also a massive improvement on the R.

I was chatting to another photographer whilst there and she was talking about the weight of kit, she couldn't believe how light the RF 100-500 was, and the RF 70-200 compared to her EF version. That for me is the big win, weight. When I go for a camera walk I never know what to take and therefore almost always end up taking most of my kit :ROFLMAO:

Last night I took most of my RF lenses - 50mm, 15-35mm, 70-200mm, 100-500mm. Only left the 35 and 28-70 behind.
I only used the 15-35 and 100-500 so could have left the rest at home but even with all those lenses once my bag is on my back, plus the tripod, I can walk for miles with it (and I suffer from a chronic bad back after surgery due to a slipped disc).

Thanks for that. I use a 1dx2 for my sports and the 5D4 for them when I am away. It would be great to have just one Canon that did everything but as someone pointed out to me, I would still need a backup for my BBL shooting. One of the Canon talks on the virtual Photo show suggested I try the R6 which is the same number of pixels as the 1DX2 and better low light performance but then I wonder how it would compare with the IQ of 5D4. Still, not in the shops so there you go!

You mean the auction ends tomorrow? :ROFLMAO: :exit:

No. I was already with just a few minutes to go, with my bid in the box (which would have won), but common sense prevailed as I said to myself 'I want it, I don't NEED it'. So I closed the window quickly before I changed my mind. :angelic:

I bought an EOS 6D on ebay a few weeks ago having decided to rekindle the hobby. It came with a 28-80 lens which felt so cheap I had to buy a 24-105mm L instead. This was after telling myself i’d wait until i’d gained some experience. It must have been fate as i was the only bidder ;)

Last edited:
No. I was already with just a few minutes to go, with my bid in the box (which would have won), but common sense prevailed as I said to myself 'I want it, I don't NEED it'. So I closed the window quickly before I changed my mind. :angelic:
Not sure you can ever say you would have won if another bidder is using a sniper app. Well done on your self control.

Well having told myself I had everything (until an a9mkIII comes out ) I just ordered a Sony 2xtc as it will fit 3 of my lenses so gives a few more options to play with so at peace again for now :)

Rob.

Bought one of these today
50594564482_e2bb0b796d_w.jpg

Olympus Red Dot Sight.

I weakened after being involved in this thread:

Like so many of the things I buy it's a replacement for one I sold, is there any hope for me?

Back