The Going To The Cinema & General Film Thread

So...... Not being a Cinema or general movie fan, I went to Cinema yesterday on the behest of a good friend who is fairly knowledgeable on subject and we watched Blade Runner 2049.

My overall opinion of the movie is negative and honestly, I left the cinema with a headache and and It was a drag of a movie in my personal opinion.

Anyone else seen the movie ?

Love 2049, one of the best science fiction ever made, a proper science fiction and makes Star Wars looks like a kids film (which it is).

Apologies for not seeing the other posts.

I honestly didn't like the movie. I always try to go into a cinema with an objective viewpoint and I was honestly trying really hard to pay attention at times. The story dragged, half way through the movie, I had to remind myself Harrison Ford was even in this movie as it felt like the ending was near because the movie felt so long.

I have to say, I wasn't over impressed with the original film, the book is so much better.
The original film is more of an "inspired by the novel" than an adaptation.

I saw 2049 yesterday and I think it's fabulous. It's not a Marvel relentless action film (that is not to say anything bad about Marvel as some of their films have been excellent), but scifi doesn't need to be that (see also: Gattaca, or Arrival, which was by the same director). It's faithful to the first film in feel, and pace. It expands on the ideas of what it is to be human that the first explored, answers some questions left at the end of the first but not others.

There was so much potential for it to be a letdown, but it isn't. It's my opinion that the director is a huge fan of the original and crafter the sequel with the care toward its legacy that a fan would.

Love 2049, one of the best science fiction ever made, a proper science fiction and makes Star Wars looks like a kids film (which it is).
Yes I agree with you and Mark 2049 was a brilliant film :)

I wanted to go to Star Wars but the family voted for Jumanji. It was OK, funny it bits, good family film. Made better for Karen Gillan in a lara croft outfit ;)

Saw it today too.
Enjoyed it immensely.

Yes, I thought it was good. For me A new hope will never be beaten. I liked the force awakens and this was almost as good. They should have cut it down by 20 mins or so as some bits were slow, but overall pretty good.

Saw the latest Star Wars tonight. What a disappointment!

Totally agree, disjointed, half hour too long and characters with no charm or menace.
Seen them all right from queuing up to get in when the original came out and expected better especially after all the reviews.

Totally agree, disjointed, half hour too long and characters with no charm or menace.
Seen them all right from queuing up to get in when the original came out and expected better especially after all the reviews.

We saw it last night (last showing round here) and I completely agree. If only they'd finished it at the destruction of Snoke's ship then I wouldn't have come away thinking The Empire Strikes Back all over again.

Early man and Peter rabbit look awesome from their trailers, which left me a bit disappointed with Star Wars that followed. It felt like it was any other SW film just change about and bring in new actors, doubt I will bother with any new ones, seems the franchise has run its course.

Last 3 weeks I’ve seen The Greatest Showman, Darkest Hour and The Post. All were good.

Last 3 weeks I’ve seen The Greatest Showman, Darkest Hour and The Post. All were good.
Yes we saw the darkest hour thought it was excellent
Going to see the post next
We have odeon unlimited which works out really well saw the lastest Star Wars twice

Going to see The Post mid Feb at our refurbished art deco cinema in St Albans, downstairs is all free standing tables, upstairs is conventional, bar at the rear of the cinema downstairs and all old farts who keep quiet and kill their phones before it all starts :)
Thought about Darkest Hour and generally I like Oldman but from the trailers it all seems a bit "shouty" and I seem to recall Churchill as more "threateningly quiet" with a deep forboding delivery, is the trailer truly representative of the film or is his performance more like the real thing?

Wookies are classed as "Big Game"? :p

Double dose! :p

I'm sure it will be popular, but I don't want to see any more 'star wars' films because they are a source of frustration and disappointment.

Against my better judgement we watched Solo on Saturday: there were about 10 people in a 150 seat cinema, and I'd say that was about right.

If you're more into the 'stuff' of the star wars universe then this is for you.
If you like films that are all about setting up a situation for the next film or 5 then this is for you.
If you're all about the CGI then this is for you.
If you like a film with well developed characters and that is self contained then you should go see something else.

It's just frustrating that the film felt like it was shot to line up the next series of films. We've not reached peak star wars, but we have reached the stage where dramatic CGI cannot overcome a weak, recycled story, even when the acting is good. It's not a bad film, but £27.50 for 2 seats to an 'ordinary' 2D film is taking the mickey when that film isn't special.

Darkest Hour, a couple of months ago. I enjoyed it, and I think this was the first time I've been to the cinema for about five years...

I enjoyed solo, interesting to see the backstory and felt that the cocky attitude of the character was portrayed well, also a few nice little blanks filled in like the kessel run etc.

As for price I'd agree a few months ago but for some reason VUE cinemas (one of which only opened up here locally brand new 6 months ago) have started doing any film, every day, for only £4.99!!
No idea why and seems to be nationwide, maybe they are on the edge of liquidation, maybe its an aggressive take on cineworld / odeon but certainly ive not been to the cinema so much in my life :) Might even go see infinity war and deadpool a second time.

I gotta say, I really enjoyed Solo.
Yep, me too, went on Sunday morning. Vue are very cheap at the moment, £7.99 and I had a posh seat, would have been less in a normal seat. Could have had two normal seats for under a tenner, so £27.50 mentioned earlier seems rather dear.

Also went to see 'Jeune femme' at an independent cinema in the centre of the city. £8 for the ticket, but also £6 to park in a nearby underground multistorey (vs. free at Vue). It's a really good film, if you speak French or read English, Laetitia Dosch is superb, though her character isn't massively likeable.

Yep, me too, went on Sunday morning. Vue are very cheap at the moment, £7.99 and I had a posh seat, would have been less in a normal seat. Could have had two normal seats for under a tenner, so £27.50 mentioned earlier seems rather dear.

Also went to see 'Jeune femme' at an independent cinema in the centre of the city. £8 for the ticket, but also £6 to park in a nearby underground multistorey (vs. free at Vue). It's a really good film, if you speak French or read English, Laetitia Dosch is superb, though her character isn't massively likeable.

Perhaps that's why the Banbury Odeon was empty - everyone had gone to Bicester Vue.

It's not quite 'cinema' but caught quite a few films on the plane to & from Canada.

Blade Runner 2049 was very dark but very well acted and shot - I'd have preferred less on-screen & explicit cruelty, but it honours the original very well indeed.

Justice League/Infinity War - Is there a difference outside specific detail (and that one franchise made a 1 film story into 2 films)? Entertaining, but I'm glad I didn't pay to see them, plus WHAT THE POX are they doing bringing Guardians of the Galaxy into the Avengers movie universe?

Ek Prem Katha - Toilet. I don't usually bother with Bollywood, but this was quite amusing and well worth a watch if you can find it on netflix etc. I work with an Indian lass who has become a good friend, and this provided some interesting cultural insights albeit in caracture form.

Deadpool 2 - Talking of cultural insights, this seems to be a little piece of American cultural narcism. I wonder if this kind of thinking is why some think it's OK to randomly kill people?

We saw Bohemian Rhapsody on Saturday, its an amazing film, would watch it again its that good.

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody this evening, thought it was fantastic. I pretty much grew up with the music of Queen and knew a lot of the stuff in the film already, but still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
Really, really liked it.

Back