The Going To The Cinema & General Film Thread

The Children Act. Emma Thompson was good in the leading role, but the film was disappointing. Far fetched and overdone.

Mirai. Japanese anime about a toddler who is jealous of his newborn baby sister and ends up travelling through time to meet members of his family at different stages of their lives. It's a lovely film IMO, enchanting, funny and touching. And there's a English language dubbed version for people that can't read on release as well .

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody last week with my Wife and 13 year old Daughter.
Really enjoyable film, even the 13 year old enjoyed it and thinks I'm even more cool now as I was at Live Aid :D

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody last week with my Wife and 13 year old Daughter.
Really enjoyable film, even the 13 year old enjoyed it and thinks I'm even more cool now as I was at Live Aid :D

Wish I'd been at Live Aid but I did see them at Wembley a year later, best live performance I've ever seen!

Wish I'd been at Live Aid but I did see them at Wembley a year later, best live performance I've ever seen!

Yep, saw them there too! Those were the days when I could afford to go to concerts :D

I see Shrek is being rebooted. Hollywood’s lack of creativity plumbs to new depths.

The Time Machine is being remade. Again.

The last re-make wasn't even that long ago (with a 'woman of colour' in the the lead female role). Why do they want to remake it again - is it going to be a woman who goes back in order to rescue a man this time?

Additional upcoming remakes:

• All Quiet on the Western Front.
  • An American Werewolf in London.
  • War Games.
  • The Birds
  • Scarface
Should be enough there for folks to moan about. :D

Additional upcoming remakes:

• All Quiet on the Western Front.
  • An American Werewolf in London.
  • War Games.
  • The Birds
  • Scarface
Should be enough there for folks to moan about. :D

Scarface (Al Pacino) is one of my all time favourite films, I dread the thought of a remake (yes, I know the Pacino version was a remake as well)!

Scarface (Al Pacino) is one of my all time favourite films, I dread the thought of a remake (yes, I know the Pacino version was a remake as well)!

The defence rests, your honour. :)

That would be the new Doctor. ;)

And Angelina Jolie will be the new James Bond o_O instead of Idris Elbow. :grumpy:

Time for a female Doctor? Why can't someone write stories that involve women instead of just screwing up films based on male characters?

Last edited:
And Angelina Jolie will be the new James Bond o_O instead of Idris Elbow. :grumpy:

Time for a female Doctor? Why can't someone write stories that involve women instead of just screwing up films based on male characters?
You mean, as in Jodie Whittaker? :)

You mean, as in Jodie Whittaker? :)

I meant that when some suggested it was time for a female doctor, they should have found an appropriate story instead of misappropriating a perfectly good male role. Can't blame ms Whittaker for stepping into the job, but with Oceans 8, the last Ghostbusters remake & so on it seems that it's preferred to sod up a film with a male lead than to actually produce new material that works for a woman in the lead.

Or were you suggesting that Whittaker should be the next JB? Bit skinny & sedentary I'd have thought.

I meant that when some suggested it was time for a female doctor, they should have found an appropriate story instead of misappropriating a perfectly good male role. Can't blame ms Whittaker for stepping into the job, but with Oceans 8, the last Ghostbusters remake & so on it seems that it's preferred to sod up a film with a male lead than to actually produce new material that works for a woman in the lead.

Or were you suggesting that Whittaker should be the next JB? Bit skinny & sedentary I'd have thought.
No, I got the post arse about face. :) … Although, I prefer Jodie Comer. She is a good action woman.

I remember seeing that film in a small theatre somewhere in London, taken by my father not too long after the film came out (I'd have been 7 or 8, possible a couple of years older). It's still one of my favourite films, but the DVD version I have misses out the "my God, it's full of stars" bit before David Bowman gets drawn through the monolith. :mad:

I remember seeing that film in a small theatre somewhere in London, taken by my father not too long after the film came out (I'd have been 7 or 8, possible a couple of years older). It's still one of my favourite films, but the DVD version I have misses out the "my God, it's full of stars" bit before David Bowman gets drawn through the monolith. :mad:

I only remember that from the beginning of 2010.

I enjoyed The Village Of No Return and A Man Called Ove. I seem to have watched a few FLFs, but don't always remember much about them.

I have to say Odeon Limitless has to be the best value product I've ever bought , I've seen about 80 films so far this year, Overlord and Bohemian Rhapsody this week

Bohemian Rhapsody I didn't want to end, could've sat through another hour of it, totally enthralling but very sad , all that fame and money and so alone

Overlord, enjoyable hokum but I wouldn't pay £12 to see it

Last week Peterloo , really heavy going , but I managed to stick it to the end even though it felt like a 150 minute documentary rather than entertainment

William Goldman has died. Guess we are never going to get the sequel to The Princess Bride.

William Goldman has died. Guess we are never going to get the sequel to The Princess Bride.

But you'll get the remake, which is in production.
(I dissaprove, btw)

The Time Machine is being remade. Again.
That was last year, wasn't it? ;) :D

Joking aside, the film I hope they never try to remake is Battle of Britain. This has got to be my favourite war film, mainly as it didn't exaggerate or glamourise things, it kept pretty much to the historic facts and told it like it was. Yes, there was some degree of poetic licence and slight historical inaccuracies with planes and scenery (which is to be expected when filming something 30 years after the event), but for a war film it wasn't a bad portrayal of what actually happened and even the special effects have stood the test of time reasonably well.

Last edited:
Back