The Going To The Cinema & General Film Thread

But there is a sequel to Force Awakens coming at some point? With Luke Skywalker in?
Yes, Episode 8 is next year. Already filmed (just in time 'cos Carrie Fisher is in it) and now in post production.

Last edited:
Yes, Episode 9 is next year. Already filmed (just in time 'cos Carrie Fisher is in it) and now in post production.
But it's not really episode 9 if Force Awakens was episode 7 and Rogue one was between III and IV is it? And when I say Luke Skywalker I meant the older one who popped up at the end of Force Awakens.

Confused much? Me? Maybe.

But it's not really episode 9 if Force Awakens was episode 7 and Rogue one was between III and IV is it? And when I say Luke Skywalker I meant the older one who popped up at the end of Force Awakens.

Consider Rogue One to be a commercial opportunity to stretch out the franchise, knowing that people who wanted to see the sequel to TFA will be disappointed that it wasn't released this year, and were certain to watch a filler film instead. As another (albeit well made) prequel, calling it IIIb seems quite reasonable. And if you detect a small amount of snark then you could be correct.

I meant 8 not 9. My bad.

Basically this was Episode 1 - The official 1, 2 & 3 were so crap they should not be called Star Wars films!

Anyone seen Passengers? I watched it on Monday and thought it was brilliant. Best film of the year so far :LOL: Read a lot of mediocre reviews of it though, so maybe I'm just easy to please!

Consider Rogue One to be a commercial opportunity to stretch out the franchise, knowing that people who wanted to see the sequel to TFA will be disappointed that it wasn't released this year, and were certain to watch a filler film instead. As another (albeit well made) prequel, calling it IIIb seems quite reasonable. And if you detect a small amount of snark then you could be correct.

THIS, 100% THIS but add some commercial cynicism to it and you got it......

In the end I did NOT see that film. Partly because of the commercial aspects, but mostly because I know they all die and I don't want to witness that.

Anyone seen Passengers? I watched it on Monday and thought it was brilliant. Best film of the year so far [emoji38] Read a lot of mediocre reviews of it though, so maybe I'm just easy to please!
I enjoyed it until the end. I thought of at least three alt. endings that would have been better. Got most of the physics right though which pleased me.

Recently saw The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Through The Window And Disappeared. Very amusing, especially having worked a little in Sweden, but also a little gruesome in places, and I'd certainly recommend it.

Haven't seen these in a while but I think are worth a look -

Leon (1994)
Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, directed by Luc Besson. Reno is great as the hitman and Oldman's character is wonderfully unpleasant and dissipated.

Behind the Candeleabra (2013)
Michael Douglas, Matt Damon, directed by Steven Soderbergh. Douglas is brilliant as Liberace.

The King of Comedy (1983)
Robert De Niro, Jerry Lewis directed bt Martin Scorsese. A black comedy with a one of the best performances from De Niro I have seen.

His Girl Friday (1940)
Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell; directed by Howard Hawks. Not much of a story but very fast witty dialogue with a couple of in jokes.

Dave

Quite enjoyed Deepwater Horizon recently out on blu ray. well worth a viewing.

Anyone seen Passengers? I watched it on Monday and thought it was brilliant. Best film of the year so far :LOL: Read a lot of mediocre reviews of it though, so maybe I'm just easy to please!
Yes, I liked the premise, but it could have been much better than it was. After setting up the interesting premise and situation, they had to turn it into a run of the mill effects laden disaster movie in the final third. It didn't need that.

Recently I've seen Denial, which was good and thought provoking - I remember the events it is based on. Timothy Spall was excellent, as he almost always is.

Also, La la land, which I went to more out of curiosity than anything else as I'm not a fan of musicals. To my great surprise, I absolutely loved it. I'm the person that likes glacial, introspective Polish films that no-one else I know would go to see, yet I loved this and everyone else I know that has gone had more of a "meh? OK I guess" reaction. It took about twenty minutes to engage me, but once it had I was riveted.

I bought the Rogue One Blu-Ray yesterday, and watched in again. Cracking film, definitely one of the best Star Wars films.

I bought the Rogue One Blu-Ray yesterday, and watched in again. Cracking film, definitely one of the best Star Wars films.

Finally got around to seeing it, definitely one of the best!

In the end I did NOT see that film. Partly because of the commercial aspects, but mostly because I know they all die and I don't want to witness that.

Tanks for the spoiler. :rolleyes:

Bought Arrival on DVD, watched it and sold it on Amazon the same day, glad to get anything back for it.

What a crappy film, made Gattaca seem action packed, very disappointed after reading the reviews.

Roll on Alien Covenant and the Blade Runner sequel

Well I saw Alien Covenant. I really think I need to see it again to understand it.

Im going to see it in about 30 minutes, but certainly if theres anything to be learnt from prometheus its that there would appear not to be a clear evolution between the alien / xenomorph we were introduced to in Alien and the creatures from prometheus?

Saw Blade Runner 2049 last night. I gotta say I found it a bit pedestrian.

So...... Not being a Cinema or general movie fan, I went to Cinema yesterday on the behest of a good friend who is fairly knowledgeable on subject and we watched Blade Runner 2049.

My overall opinion of the movie is negative and honestly, I left the cinema with a headache and and It was a drag of a movie in my personal opinion.

Anyone else seen the movie ?

Saw Blade Runner 2049 last night. I gotta say I found it a bit pedestrian.
I have to say, I wasn't over impressed with the original film, the book is so much better.

Back