The Good Old Days

I've not heard of it, and is there really a substitute for peanut butter ( and cheese sarnies)?
It's roasted sesame seeds in oil, depends how roasted they are but the taste is gentle peanut butter. I make it myself.

I used to deliver groceries on a bicycle with the big wicker basket on the front, all day Saturday for 2/6d.

I used to deliver groceries on a bicycle with the big wicker basket on the front, all day Saturday for 2/6d.
And I thought I was badly paid :eek:

When I had my paper delivery round, it was 2 Bob a day, and 2/6d for the Sundays, all the supplements on a Sunday. I had such a big round I used my baby sister’s pram!

I don't want to move this to hot topics. Enough politics enough brexit thanks

Just shows how easy it is to step outside the remit of a thread .Good job you're keeping an eye on things. You've saved Nod from a further response... :D

Just shows how easy it is to step outside the remit of a thread .Good job you're keeping an eye on things. You've saved Nod from a further response... :D

I stand by what I said.

Has anyone mentioned the little white dot that remained on the screen after you turned the tely off yet?
Id forgotten about that use to sit and watch it (probably better than some of the current programmes)

Events of the 1960's which I can just about remember include
The Profumo scandal which probably toppled the Macmillan government
The big freeze which started on Boxing Day 1962, snow lasted until April 1963
the Beeching report which led to closing 1/3 of the rail network
Beatlemania

Two more extreme weather events were the drought of 1976, where temperatures reached 35 degrees, and no rain for over a month
The Great Storm of 1987. Went to a dinner and dance the previous evening, and must have got home just before the storm broke.
The following morning, the alarm went off, got ready to go to work, then realised by watching the television that there must have been a power cut.
My journey to work was an obstacle course, with trees blown down everywhere.
Not seeing eye to eye with my manager who refused to accept this as a legitimate excuse for being late

Has anyone mentioned the little white dot that remained on the screen after you turned the tely off yet?
You just did :D
Test card anyone?

The big freeze which started on Boxing Day 1962, snow lasted until April 1963
I got a new bike, that Christmas, and couldn't ride it till Easter, due to the snow and ice.

Green Shield stamps. My parents used them to obtain a Grindley crockery set to be used at Christmas, Sundays, and other special events

Ah yes, co-op stamps and vouchers in some fag packets.

Telly....so, Crackerjack, Magpie, How! etc. Proper kids' TV. Saturday morning picture club at the cinema - a cartoon, a western, a Tarzan movie, one or two more cartoons, cheap way of getting rid of kids for half the day and know they are (relatively) safe.

Toilets at the bottom of the yard with doors that didnt fit properly and a candle under an inverted plant pot (not a plastic one) to stop it freezing in the winter.

Dog licenses, originally 7/6d then 37 1/2p, finally abolished in 1988.

Telly, Take Your Pick with Michael Miles, Vision On with Tony Hart, Opportunity Knocks with Hughie Green and that dopey girl, Moira I think?

Last edited:
That Was the Week that Was.

I was 13 at the time I saw it but it was my first introduction to satire.

Dave

Was Andy Pandy a transvestite, a trans- female or non-binary ? :)

Wen I was a little 'un I recall having a tooth taken out and to this day I realised the dentist conned me by telling me to breathe out, breathe out ,breathe out and just before I had to gulp in air he put the gas mask over my face. Everything went shimmering neon-blue and out of this blue came a huge Andy Pandy doing his/her dance :D

Toilets at the bottom of the yard with doors that didnt fit properly and a candle under an inverted plant pot (not a plastic one) to stop it freezing in the winter.

My grandparents had a wooden toilet (with newspaper...lol) at the bottom of the back yard and I recall swallows flying in and out to their nest because along the top of the door there was a pryamid-like pattern so they could get in easily. I still recall the noise the chicks made as food was brought it them.

My grandparents had a wooden toilet (with newspaper...lol) at the bottom of the back yard
The terraced house over the road, and opposite had brick built outside loo's.
But being in a semi, we were more civilised :D

The terraced house over the road, and opposite had brick built outside loo's.
But being in a semi, we were more civilised :D

It was darned cold in winter. I was about five..lol.

By the way. I'm in the process of responding to Milo King in my "Baffled" thread. Re my computer problems on here and whilst I was typing part of my post above,in reply to "luthy'(Noel) just appeared in the middle of a sentence. Could you keep an eye out and you'll see what happened. Something quite different. I'm a bit reluctant to buy a new iMac on the chance it's that as they are now almost £2000. I have the last of the 27" Intel models.It's been replaced with the 24" Mac Studio and I really like this 27" screen.

Has anyone on your tech team got any suggestions ?

And telly, The Flowerpot Men, Trumpton, Fireball XL5, Twizzle!

Could you keep an eye out and you'll see what happened.
I see nothing untoward in your post, I think you may have to bite the bullet and buy a new keyboard,
Or maybe another computer..

Has anyone on your tech team got any suggestions ?
I'll report it, the Hamster is good on stuff like this.
However I think its more PC than imac

Are we allowed to include radio ?
The Clitheroe Kid :D
The Navy lark, when those immortal words were uttered " Left hand down a bit"

Was it “The Billy Cotton Bandshow” on Sunday lunchtime?

And “Ahoy!” :)

Was it “The Billy Cotton Bandshow” on Sunday lunchtime?
OK I'll say it, the Black and white minstrel show, Sat eve's?

The smell of 4 star on the forecourt. Speedway at the County Ground and the smell of "R". Safe sex and dangerous motorsport!!!

On one occasion, coming into dock, the crew are taking the mickey regarding Mr Phillips' navigation, in response he says
"I'll show you, see that tug and two barges ahead?"
Pertwee shouts "No, MrPhillips, those two barges...." two loud clangs...."were on tow"
"Well, how am I supposed to know, they should have tied a handkerchief on the rope"

More an 80's thing, but TOTP Thurs night, we would be all excited in the days leading up to it only to proclaim our 'HATE' for every other song 'mimed' on the show :ROFLMAO:

the radio show Just a Minute, one of the original contestants was Sir Clement Freud who owned a racehorse named in honour of his wife Nagnagnag

I call my wife Three Horses’s, Nag Nag Nag :)

Back