The 'I JUST WANT ONE' Thread

Yeah I'd like a 6x9 folder, but the decent quality lenses are quite expensive from what I've seen.

When it comes to gear, I manage to convince myself that it's all need, not just want

Currently in my wishlist:
Fuji GX617
A Kodak Aero Ektar on some form of 5x4 camera
Leica M4

Not picky at all me :nuts:

Do you know, strangely, this has made me think about what I want/need and I 've come to the conclusion that I have pretty much all I need for the moment.

I'm going to spend more on film and more time on shooting it than worrying about what to buy next.(y)

Andy

For starters I want this:

contax-catalogus1.jpg

Not the brochure, all the cameras and lenses. ;)

Do you know, strangely, this has made me think about what I want/need and I 've come to the conclusion that I have pretty much all I need for the moment.

I'm going to spend more on film and more time on shooting it than worrying about what to buy next.(y)

Andy

That F100 needs some urgent photogenetic calibration, send it here and I'll see if it can be repaired, brace yourself for a write off though.

That leaves you a space on the subs bench..:)

Andy

Oddly enough, I was thinking exactly this the other day.

Andy

If we are taking that mentallity, I need more film and a 120 scanner

Andy

I have everything I need and more and it still barely gets used at the moment. I'm hoping this North Wales meet is going to give me a sufficiently large kick to get out shooting again as I've been too busy trying to set up a business. :crying:

Sometimes Rob, life needs to be sorted out before photography (sacrilege..I hear you cry).

Sometimes Rob, life needs to be sorted out before photography (sacrilege..I hear you cry).

Sacrilege indeed, but what if the business is photography related? :p (No not another wedding photographer before you ask :nuts:)

Sacrilege indeed, but what if the business is photography related? :p (No not another wedding photographer before you ask :nuts:)

In that case all is well with the World and carry on regardless.(y)

'I just want one' is a reason I buy all my film gear. I see a Polaroid.... I want it, Pentax ME?? Yep, want it. Ricoh GR1 (for £2) it's mine.
Recently I have bought a camera I wanted for ages, the Trip 35. Next? who knows... I kinda want some Zuiko lenses for my OM10 ;)

Andy

With you on this one Andy.....although I have to confess that I do have something due in the post. It was purchased before this thread started though so does that get me off the hook? :D

I want one of those medium format fuji cameras with the movements.

Can I play this game to?

Want

Hasselblad 203FE with 110mm f2 lens
Rollieflex 6008i
Nikon F2SB

Actually there are a couple of things I want. A Billingham bag for the photographer around town and a Mac computer as I am getting increasingly fed up with how slow every pc I've ever owned has been.

Actually there are a couple of things I want. A Billingham bag for the photographer around town and a Mac computer as I am getting increasingly fed up with how slow every pc I've ever owned has been.

The PCs aren't slow, you know what kind of harware you have inside your box, Apple uses Intel processors like everybody else, maybe it's time to install some Linux distribution as OS (they are open and free), MacOS is a derivate of BSD, no little green men or magic there. But I don't want to start a debate about Apple vs everything else. (y)

About the Billingham bag, which one you like? the 307L or the 550?

Now Ariel, what you have done there is confused me with someone who knows something about computers, I recognise only about 10% of the words in your post above.... :thinking::D I mainly want one because they look cool but I didn't want to appear shallow.

As to the Billingham I'm looking at one of the smaller bags just for popping a camera and a couple of lenses in for shooting around town. Maybe the Hadley small.

Andy

I mainly want one because they look cool but I didn't want to appear shallow.

:D

Basically, what he's saying is that the insides of Apple machines are no different to the insides of PCs these days; the only difference is the operating system and you'll pay a fairly hefty premium for that.*

There are alternatives that would use your existing kit but unless you want to start installing and tweaking different operating systems, I'd leave them alone.

Macs are over-priced for what they are but if you're happy to pay the price then I say crack on :)

* In ye olden dayes, Macs used different hardware that was much more efficient at multi-tasking than the Intel chips used in Windows machines but was also significantly more expensive. As Intel chips increased in efficiency and reduced in price, Apple were in danger of pricing themselves out of the market so they moved to Intel chips too, though they didn't reduce the price of their kit to match. Now the only differences between Macs and PCs is the operating system software (Macs use a variant of BSD [a type of Unix {a multi-user operating system commonly used on servers}]) and the form factor. Doesn't matter what you think of them, Apple make very good-looking kit.**

** T'missus has a Macbook and says she'll never have another Apple product due to all the issues she's had with it. That said, she's had it since 2006 and it still works fine despite her best efforts to break the casing in several places and the lid won't close properly any more.

Now, can someone remind me what this thread's supposed to be about?

So I could upgrade to something cool looking but at a more reasonable price......shallow moi?

Correctamundo

What he said.

You might also find that by uninstalling old software and clearing some space on the hard drive, your old machine will get a bit faster.

A lot of issues with Windows PCs are caused by things like resident memory processes, such update routines - convenient because they check for updates when you start the PC and pop up a reminder for you but they eat resources. I disable all of those and look for updates manually when I can be bothered :)

Another option is more RAM memory - Windows always seems to benefit from more memory to play with.

What I meant, besides all that Dean have said, was about the wrong idea that a slow system is caused by an old hardware or because you have a computer build with generic components, like a PC, instead a "more reliable" branded computer like an Apple, HP or IBM.

Window$ is a "hardware resources eating machine", no matter how many RAM memory you install never will be enough. You can try it at home, the same machine with Window$ and Linux, test how much RAM Window$ consumes only to start (the system without starting any apps) and compare with a Linux like, for example, Ubuntu. And then you start to open apps like a word processor, a browser and so on, and test the memory and CPU consumption again and how the system behaves with all those apps opened. Numbers don't lie.

It wasn't my intention to detour the main subject of this thread, sorry, but this is a misconception that many people have and it must be corrected because only benefits to the computer and software multinational companies, the users always lose.

And coming back to the main subject, I would like to have a Canon F1 camera, a friend show me his F1 recently and it's a great camera, very complete and functional.

This looks cool...:cool:

S'got a tape deck n'everything..

2rhaf46.jpg

Not wanting to derail this any further I don't think Adobe are releasing any versions of Lightroom or Photoshop for Linux along with Nikon/Canon software... For the time being (although the comment about Linux taking up less resources is probably correct) your options are Windows or OSX.

I support Windows Servers day to day but run a MacBook at home and love it, not that I'm trying to spend your money Andy ;0)

Steve

Its all right Steve I haven't got any money to spend.......:LOL:

As it will be about a year before I can afford to upgrade I think I'll wait and see what appears on the techno horizon. By then all computers will be powered by thought alone and will run on rose petals.

Jox, I'm no expert but that looks like a microsift P155take if I'm not mistaken.

Andy

Last edited:
Now Ariel, what you have done there is confused me with someone who knows something about computers, I recognise only about 10% of the words in your post above.... :thinking::D I mainly want one because they look cool but I didn't want to appear shallow.

As to the Billingham I'm looking at one of the smaller bags just for popping a camera and a couple of lenses in for shooting around town. Maybe the Hadley small.

Andy

If you fancy another trip to Waitrose you can have a look at my Hadley pro - just right for a body and a couple of lenses. Last time I got told off for not getting the shopping in and coming back with just a camera.

Cheers Ken but too late was the cry, it appears that my GLW has purchased something special for my birthday which I believe could be the aforementioned Hadley Small...fingers crossed.

Andy

If it turns out to be a hoover/iron/lawn mower, give us a shout:)

Back