The 'I JUST WANT ONE' Thread

hahahaha... what a mix!... computers and operating systems with cameras and bags. :D

Ironicaly, computers and DSLRs are not too far from each other nowadays.

Andy, making a long story short: use any OS but Window$, and if it's free and open, better.

Your best and cheaper alternative today for a PC is Linux, because MacOS isn't compatible to pc-clones.

And about the apps, I have a Nikon D5100 and I use Debian Linux as OS, and I haven't any problem to process my raw photos and print them without the need of the Nikon original software. I'm using Gimp with Ufraw to treat them.

Thanks Ariel, I shall look into it in more detail. (y)

Can we get back on topic now? I'm getting so bored of the whole mac/windows crap. The point is, use what ever you want. Can we please have an end to it now?

Last edited:
Ooh! I want a darkroom too......:woot:

Are there any of us in f&c that wouldn't just love a dark room...

I'd like one but I'm not sure I'd know what to do with it. I've only used a dark room once under supervision, though I did enjoy the printing process.

Mind you, I never thought that developing my own B&W film was going to be so straightforward either. :)

Are there any of us in f&c that wouldn't just love a dark room....I don't think my life will ever be full 'til i get one! :D

First I need a bigger house, please add it to the list. ;)

Im beginning to think, that when I am discussing new purchases with SWMBO, that I should refer to it not as 'camera gear', but as 'Photographic Essentials' from now on...

bravado_little_britain_want_that_one_red-white.jpg

Ariel / Vettahead - if you want to argue computer stuff, go to the appropriate bit of the forum - as far as i'm aware neither architecture allows you to either put a roll of film in the computer or develop it after exposure, so it's nothing to do with this thread.

I'd sell you mine but it's built into the garage :LOL: actually it's handy for storing stuff as it's dust free.

I need a bigger house to have space for a dark room, not much, but develop film in the bathroom is very unconfortable. Your garage comes with a classic car or motorcycle included? ;)

I need a bigger house to have space for a dark room, not much, but develop film in the bathroom is very unconfortable. Your garage comes with a classic car or motorcycle included? ;)

Nearly as I have an Honda 750 f2c with only 4,800 miles on the clock, bought in 1984, similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4hXdyeyuYs

Trouble is leaving the bike not used as the carbs block because of modern petrol, so I need a retired Honda mechanic to clean them without shop rip off prices....as last time it cost me £180

If you're parking it up for a while, drain the carbs. If that's too fiddly or hard to reach, turn the fuel tap off and run the bike until it stops - there'll be no fuel left in the float bowls so you won't get the build-up.

If you're parking it up for a while, drain the carbs. If that's too fiddly or hard to reach, turn the fuel tap off and run the bike until it stops - there'll be no fuel left in the float bowls so you won't get the build-up.

Well I used to run the the bike in the garage now and again.....but left it too long twice.

My home built darkroom is the white thingy on the left and my motorbike is covered in blankets on the right...it's in the 2nd garage which join the first garage which has a sink with hot and cold water .

Inside I would give all that B/W paper away if someone wants to collect it...dunno if it's any good as it must be at least 20 years old, so not worth the gamble/cost of posting as it's heavy.

I'v had a strange desire for a Nikon 35Ti for sometime, maybe I'm just ahead of the trend and the 90's block compact look will be revived soon, forget your manual wheels, dials are where its at. :LOL:

I'v had a strange desire for a Nikon 35Ti for sometime, maybe I'm just ahead of the trend and the 90's block compact look will be revived soon, forget your manual wheels, dials are where its at. :LOL:

You wish, they'd be cheap as chips if they were ugly:LOL:.........It has slick clean lines and a weather barometer on the top panel, its the definition of trendy..:D
I mean, a camera is either beautiful or it isn't regardless of current fashions, the 35ti from a design perspective is a very desirable camera.
I suppose its rolled up with the compact RF revival, unfussy, minimalist, de-cluttered retro cool..:cool:

You wish, they'd be cheap as chips if they were ugly:LOL:.........It has slick clean lines and a weather barometer on the top panel, its the definition of trendy..:D
I mean, a camera is either beautiful or it isn't regardless of current fashions, the 35ti from a design perspective is a very desirable camera.
I suppose its rolled up with the compact RF revival, unfussy, minimalist, de-cluttered retro cool..:cool:

Its a bit of a middle ground I'd say, some rangefinder looks but with a more modern blocky minimalism to it. Having shooting info on the top is also not something you get from most rangefinders or indeed modern mirrorless including Fuji's revivials.

Maybe if Fuji look to follow the Coolpix A and the new GR we'll end up with something more similar.

Last edited:
Its gonna have to shoot film or I couldn't care less...:LOL:

GF670 was a step in the right direction but they haven't followed it up

Its gonna have to shoot film or I couldn't care less...:LOL:

GF670 was a step in the right direction but they haven't followed it up

I'd say the problem with Fuji releasing a fixed lens 35mm compact would be that cameras like the 35Ti are pretty widely available. There not dirt cheap but prices aren't anything like as high as the Makina 67 which is likely to limate the demand for something new.

A more obvious follow up to me seems to be to relaunch the GX617 in some form, like the GF670 that's another market where prices for used cameras haven't really dropped much.

Some of my most memorable times as a lad were spent in make shift dark rooms...............with two or three different girlfriends!
(Oh, all those smelly fingers from all that...........hypo)! :nuts:

Trouble is, that was also when I produced some of my best prints.
(Oh for another gallon of D163 and that warm toned paper Kodak made many decades ago)!

I want my youth and vitality back! (And an un-limited free supply of roll film Kodachrome + processing). :love:

GGGGRRRRR this thread :LOL:

Now I find myself doing research and pricing up Nikon F2SB.

Least ambitious 'want' - I would like a manual SLR with an M42 mount. :)

I'm downsizing and one of the cameras that needs to go is the FE2 - I simply don't have the same connection with it as I do my T90. I'd still like to have a manual wind SLR and as I've bought a few M42 lenses to use with adapters on the XP1, it makes sense to have a film body for them too.

Thing is, I know next to nothing about M42-mount cameras except that Practika, early Fujica and some Asahi Pentax use it. I think.

Any recommendations on bodies to look out for?

I'm willing to go over a couple of pounds but the point of this is to have a proper budget camera, so I'm happy to play the waiting game, tour boot sales, etc. I'd prefer not to spend more than £50 on a body, though I'd probably go a bit above that if the features warrant it.

The russian and east-germany cameras are a good economic alternatives, like Zenit or Praktica, but a few japanese too, like Yashica, Fujica, Cosina or Chinon.

I'm looking for a M42 camera too, I prefer a Pentax Spotmatic SP1000 or SP II for full mechanical body, but recently I read about the Chinon CE II Memotron and it starts to like it.

Least ambitious 'want' - I would like a manual SLR with an M42 mount. :)

I'm downsizing and one of the cameras that needs to go is the FE2 - I simply don't have the same connection with it as I do my T90. I'd still like to have a manual wind SLR and as I've bought a few M42 lenses to use with adapters on the XP1, it makes sense to have a film body for them too.

Thing is, I know next to nothing about M42-mount cameras except that Practika, early Fujica and some Asahi Pentax use it. I think.

Any recommendations on bodies to look out for?

Have you thought about a M42 to canon adapter for your T90 and have advanced metering.....the only problem is:- a M42 lens has to have a stop down for apertures (as the T90 can't auto stop down the lens like like a more modern M42 camera).

I prefer a Pentax Spotmatic SP1000 or SP II for full mechanical body ...

Knew that rang a bell - I saw one up for sale yesterday on the MFLenses forum. Apologies for linking to a sale thread on another forum, bad etiquette - I'm only doing it because Ariel is looking for that camera specifically. Will remove if requested.

... recently I read about the Chinon CE II Memotron and it starts to like it.

I like that mainly because the name makes it sound like a Transformer :D

Have you thought about a M42 to canon adapter for your T90 and have advanced metering.....the only problem is:- a M42 lens has to have a stop down for apertures (as the T90 can't auto stop down the lens like like a more modern M42 camera).

Thought about it but it's not really what I'm looking for. I like my FE2 because of the engagement with the manual operation, particularly the wind-on. You don't get that with the T90 but it's got personal significance for me and I can't bring myself to sell it or the L-series lenses I spent ages searching for.

From the sublime to the ridiculous - I want a Canon FDn 35mm f/2 lens too. I spent ages hunting for one a few years ago and missed a couple that came up on ebay but then they are about as common as rocking horse poo.

I need to get off the computer and go do something else; it might stop me obsessing for a while! :LOL:

Apologies for linking to a sale thread on another forum, bad etiquette - I'm only doing it because Ariel is looking for that camera specifically. Will remove if requested.

Thanks for the link, I'm looking for a M42 camera but I really don't need it, so I'm taking my time to read and investigate my options more deeply. The Spotmatic is at the top of the list at the moment.

I like that mainly because the name makes it sound like a Transformer :D

I've thought the same thing when saw it the first time. :LOL:

Back