The 'I JUST WANT ONE' Thread

From the sublime to the ridiculous - I want a Canon FDn 35mm f/2 lens too. I spent ages hunting for one a few years ago and missed a couple that came up on ebay but then they are about as common as rocking horse poo.

I need to get off the computer and go do something else; it might stop me obsessing for a while! :LOL:

Well the 35mm f2 lens is well known to be a very good lens, but I doubt you would see much difference comparing it with the 35mm f2.8 stopped down, but I prefer the M42 CZJ 35mm f2.4 Flek although on the mechanical side they are not well made.
My wish is for the FDn 24mm f2....but I keeping thinking for all that money what would I get over my Sigma 24mm f2.8 superwide II :shrug:

M42 stuff...

So I've been down the M42 road.

A lot of M42 cameras are quite long in the tooth now, I had a Spotty with duff seals that couldn't shoot its top shutter speed, a Ricoh with its own miniature eco-system growing in it and a zenit XP, which turned out to be the best of the 3.
Not wanting to fanny about with repairs and fed up with failures being the norm rather than a rarity, I bought an A1 and adapter ring thinking...pro gear should be serviceable for a while.....wrong.....developed Canon cough pretty soon after I got it, so that was that.
Well I've got some really good Nikon body's so I had a go with them for a while but the adapter ring has to contain an optical element which isn't ideal, my enthusiasm waned over a period of time and I ended up dumping M42 through the lack of a good reliable body and no optical element.

If I had my time again I'd give the Bessaflex a shot since it is the most recent edition of M42 mount bodys, whilst it ain't no spring chicken and there are no guarantees, you're not looking at 25-30-40+ year old gear.
No ring, no optical element, no metering neither:|, just mech M42 mount.

I'm having second thoughts as to whether this is still OnT, but I dunno where else to put it......yinny might have to shout at me, as if he didn't have enough to do...lol

Thanks, joxby, all stuff that's good to know. My fault that it's in this thread, I should have started another to ask the question.

yinny might have to shout at me, as if he didn't have enough to do...lol

I don't shout John - I may growl a little occasionally, but thats about it...

And FWIW, it was helpful, in context of Strappys question, so (y) from me.

Also, I like it when threads wander and meander, lots of interesting things come along and intrigue me.

Andy

I have a Canon Fd n 35mm f2. It is perhaps the best lens I've ever used. Certainly would be THE lens if we could only keep one. Trouble is I would have to choose which body to use it with; f1n, F1, EF, A1? Like the T90 but always felt it too close to a modern body and always seemed to grab an A1 instead.

If you want M42, get an SP1000 and a full service from Harrow tech. Cost more than the camera but you know it'll go on for another 50 years. Same with Rollei TLR and Brian Mickolbough. Don't keep putting it off like me. Poor chap will probably pass over before I send mine off!

Thanks, Stumpy (y)

If you ever need someone to relieve you of the indecision about which body to use with that 35mm, I'd be happy to help by taking it off your hands ;)

All I want photographic-wise is my Mojo back :(

Looked everywhere - even down the back of the settee and under the fridge... nowhere to be found :(

Spotmatics are great... that said, I haven't used one since the one (or perhaps two) I owned when they were NEW, and I'm not certain why I dumped them for the ME I still have...

I too would like a 35mm f/2 lens, this time a Pentax-M. Seen any hens' teeth lately?

I would like to own the complete set of lenses and accesories for my following cameras: Yashica FR1, Olympus OM1, KIEV-4M and Linhof 220. :)

I don't have any other wants right now

Blimey, how naive could I have been? :D

Still want a manual M42 camera, the handling of the ST801 isn't what I'd hoped for so I reckon it'll be up for sale before long (like everything else I keep saying is going up for sale). At least I've scratched a couple of other itches with the 'blad and something else that's on its way from Japan... ;)

How's everyone else's wants/needs list going? :)

I don't really want any new film cameras apart from my desire for a folding MF camera that cocks the shutter, and has a decent built in meter, something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...6019089_GF670_Rangefinder_Folding_Camera.html

But I do need to thin out my camera collection, not only because I don't have time to use them but don't have the actual space to keep them.

Also, like Dean I've tried a lot of cameras that I always had a hankering for but could never afford, so since the drop in value of classic cameras I've tried a Leica, a Hasselblad, a monorail 5x4, a variety of TLR's and rangefinders etc etc etc and now I've tried them I'm happy to move them on, it's just biting the bullet and actually letting them go.

Back