The lost craft of photography?

1. Apparently they are Canada's biggest rock band, practically a national treasure.
2. If you'd gone to any other country but Austria I'd have said you were nuts ;)
3. Your winnings have been transferred to your bank account - don't spend it all at once. :cool:
  1. I didn't know them and are not missing in my life

2. I first went on a road trip from Sofia to Moscow for a reportage, then at national level in 18 different countries beginning with ex-Yugoslavija.

3. Payment received, thank you. Greetings to YODA. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
BTW, Harvest Moon, a Canadian production as well,
will never disappear from my favourites! :cool:

If you're referring to Mr Young, then you are forgiven you Knopfler indiscertions. (y)

Now go listen to some Richard Thompson and your soul will be saved. :)

If you're referring…

Yes Sir I was.

Richard Thompson? I shall investigate…
I have a soul? … bears have souls?
I don't even lose a lens cap, how could I lose a soul? :D

Yes Sir I was.

Richard Thompson? I shall investigate…
I have a soul? … bears have souls?
I don't even lose a lens cap, how could I lose a soul? :D
I lose lens caps and lens hoods for fun. I fear my soul went AWOL years ago! :LOL:

Ah - soul, how could I forget? Not sure I'm tremendously keen on Mr. Thompson: though he's an incredibly able guitarist and musician I don't find what he does particularly inspiring. I only discovered him recently through the Gospel Bell/Fairport connection, and the other guys encouraged me to look him up because some had worked with him and loved what he did (if you're a rocker like me then he's a bit too folk/MOR).

And to think we're sat 'ere, drinkin' chateaux de chassolet now. 'Course we 'ad it toof when ah were a lad.

Last edited:
Joe Bonamassa.

Yep, I like that!
Good blend of styles and origins.
… playing on a Gurian instrument.

I'm a devoted finger picker and a flat pick passionate
strumming between Paul Simon, Stills, and many others.

Last edited:
same as with Neil Young.

There is a dichotomy in the works of NY. The acoustic
side I like (Harvest Moon to name but one!) and enjoy
lots more than the electrics. The musicality of his acous-
tic works in his cool song writings is not reflected in the
plugged tracks.

Thompson is not affected by the said
dichotomy but does
not sit in my hears comfortably.

I'll see your Queensferry Cook and raise you payday
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Aud7AwGGb4

Does RT rock? No - from this video it's a style he can wheel out, but that's just what it feels like. Tasteful & restrained, rather than fun and wild.

Yuk.:LOL:

And where would a post on guitarists be without a bit of Jeff Beck? :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6T6AQ5yXqc

There's no need for pointy guitars or showmanship when your name's Fripp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhKJgqxNDD8.

If my wife hadn't nudged me, wondering why I was snoring, I might have spent the whole evening napping. ;)

This is interesting because it takes us full circle to a comment made by Mr Badger about guitar synths and how proper guitarists use talent instead, when lo & behold you post a link to Robert Fripp, who is a dedicated synth user with his guitar, yet extremely skilled and talented, both technically and creatively. :notworthy:

However I would also like to point out to m'lud the headstock of the KC singers PRS and ask him to compare the degree of pointiness with that of the flying V used by Mr. Bonamassa. ;)

If my wife hadn't nudged me, wondering why I was snoring, I might have spent the whole evening napping. ;)

This is interesting because it takes us full circle to a comment made by Mr Badger about guitar synths and how proper guitarists use talent instead, when lo & behold you post a link to Robert Fripp, who is a dedicated synth user with his guitar, yet extremely skilled and talented, both technically and creatively. :notworthy:

However I would also like to point out to m'lud the headstock of the KC singers PRS and ask him to compare the degree of pointiness with that of the flying V used by Mr. Bonamassa. ;)
Fyling Vs have pointy bodies. :p

I guess this thread is proving that we're all different. (y)

Well, if we're talking pointy headstock guitar players, the zenith (for me) was Michael Schenker in those few years when he was in UFO.

Although these days I much prefer an acoustic finger-picked guitar and there are some masterful practitioners. I'm particular fond of ragtime.

Fyling Vs have pointy bodies. :p

I guess this thread is proving that we're all different. (y)

(y) I'd agree.

It sounds like nit-picking, but I've owned a couple of Vs and the Gibsons aren't especially pointy, with both the headstock & ends of the body being quite rounded, but the outline has a certain uncompromising look to it. :) I don't miss the Gibson V at all, but I wish I still had the Dean (and that was probably the pointiest guitar I ever owned).

*edit* - a bit of research also tells me that Gibson varied the headstock shape of the V, and sometimes it was in fact as pointy as you suggest. :oops: :$

The Dean V when I'd just brought it home, plus daughter's Dean Z and my Washburn A20 (brilliant guitar that will do everything from metal to jazz).

Thewildbunch3.JPG

Last edited:
When I was younger I had a hankering for a Firebird (because I liked Roxy Music and Manzanera played one), but that's as pointy as I would ever get. However, as soon as I picked up a Tele that was it. Just felt and sounded right.

Not that I can play any of the damned things!

Strat or Tele - that's pretty much how the (guitar playing) universe divides up. I played a strat mainly between 1989 and about 2010, though I managed to acquire a few other guitars toward the end of that period. Then I didn't play much for a couple of years and when I started again the strat didn't cut it for me any more. I did own a (non-fender) Tele in that earlier period, but I foolishly sold it to help buy the Gibson V. A reverse-headstock firebird is still on the (receeding) list.

Main guitar now is a JJ goldtop custom that I bought at a music show in 2005/6, although my cheapie tanglewood acoustic gets more use with Gospel Bell.

If you like a bit of 12 string acoustic then check this one out - Jimi unplugged.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPtv14q9ZDg

Then there's the Fender Strat slide playing from Lowell George of Little Feat; if this was the sound check then I'd love to have gone to the gig!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLFkSJr-PBE

Nice. (y)

A little boring nerdery: '77 was the year I started playing, and a couple of years later I played in a band with a guy called Dave McCaulley (IIRC) who just bought a strat like that. Unfortunately Dave's strat was a boat anchor, as many of the natural ash models were then, with horrible low output pickups. Now I also notice that Lowell George's strat has a black pickup by the bridge, and I suspect that was a Dimarzio FS-1 (only available in black IIRC) like I'd persuaded my parents to buy me for my guitar, and it absolutely killed the standard strat pickups available at the time. I still have that FS-1 here, and the original box it came in somewhere in the loft.

Last edited:
Great call. Lowell George is one of my favourites. What a great band Little Feat were back then.

My Strat dates from '79. Reputedly not a great year - but it's still a lot better than I am!

23052945261_021620df6f_z.jpg

Great call. Lowell George is one of my favourites. What a great band Little Feat were back then.

My Strat dates from '79. Reputedly not a great year - but it's still a lot better than I am!

23052945261_021620df6f_z.jpg

3 bolt neck, big headstock & bullet truss rod? They weren't all bad.

Always makes me chuckle on these threads when the mantra "you had to get it right in camera" comes out. Most of course didn't :p Its like the rose tinted glasses all come out and think back to everyone who had a camera was awesome and a mastercraftsman at the art, it really isn't true.

Back