The New Top Gear

there are plenty of locations where Le Blanc could practice 'donuts' to his hearts content. !

Indeed
View: https://www.facebook.com/robinarmstrongcomedy/videos/1732872300332959/

However they ran into an undercover cop car
12809780_10206156782658637_4712488199468383987_n.jpg

Note: NSFW warning. Do not look at his friend Tanya's account

It should never have been cleared to shut the roads around the Cenotaph. Yes Top Gear are at fault but so are the authorities who approved the road closure. Both parties should issue a public apology, not just Chris Evans on behalf of Top Gear. The BBC and Council need to admit they were completely in the wrong.

maybe it was the quietest, safest road available?

You can clearly see the vehicle passing the cenotaph at speed in the video. While ignorance is no excuse this was evidently an error of judgement, not an intended act of malice. It was just plain stupid there are plenty of locations where Le Blanc could practice 'donuts' to his hearts content. No wonder supermarket car parks are full of boy racers trying to emulate these idiots. Top Gear continues to surround itself with controversy but the BBC has learned nothing. I bet Clarkson is having a good chuckle over this !

accelerating away, and doing donuts futher up the road.

have you not seen the ken block videos (who the hoonigan i think belongs to)? id suggest they have more of an audience than TG.

slightly funny:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...ony-of-top-gear-cenotaph-stunt-20160315107152

They are currently down at Dagenham at Ford's Engine Plant, I wonder of they will be paying Dunton a visit too.

It should never have been cleared to shut the roads around the Cenotaph. Yes Top Gear are at fault but so are the authorities who approved the road closure. Both parties should issue a public apology, not just Chris Evans on behalf of Top Gear. The BBC and Council need to admit they were completely in the wrong.

Of all the horrific things going on in the world, something as trivial as this gets your blood boiling? A public apology? How much of the public gives a s***? I certainly don't. Total non story.

Of all the horrific things going on in the world, something as trivial as this gets your blood boiling? A public apology? How much of the public gives a s***? I certainly don't. Total non story.

On no, that doesn't get my blood boiling. That's just an observation. Things like people inflicting pain or suffering on animals does though, for example bullfighting (bull slaughter would reflect the term more accurately) - now that's pretty horrific !!

On no, that doesn't get my blood boiling. That's just an observation. Things like people inflicting pain or suffering on animals does though, for example bullfighting (bull slaughter would reflect the term more accurately) - now that's pretty horrific !!

Awesome deflection! I'm booking tickets tomorrow to go to Las Ventas in May.

Overall I am far more offended by the attendance at the Cenotaph of the warmongers who lay wreaths to honour the dead who they and their predecessors sent (send) to die in the first place.

I have massive respect for our military and their commitment and skills, and the sacrifice they have made and will make again. The politicians on the other hand....

We have memorials to our dead all over the country but the true memorials are not the blocks of stones but the war cemeteries which are the final resting places of our 'flower of youth'. If anyone has not yet visited them, I would say to try and make the effort. Sobering and awesome from some with 10-15 graves to those with thousands.

The block of stone in Whitehall is not a shrine, otherwise it would sit away from traffic jams, people eating meals as they walk past without noticing it, demonstrations et al.

A TV show doing daft things on a public road.... grist to the mill for press hounds promoting 'mockrage'. What a sad inward thinking people we are made out to be....

I am no anti-war type... as an aero engineer in the 1970s I helped put an Aircraft into the air which is still 'doing the business' nearly 40 years on.... Originally the MRCA (IDS and ADV) which went into service as the Tornado. (GR4 and F2/F3).

Last edited:

Why not? They closed a bridge to blow up a bus for a movie.

Why not? They closed a bridge to blow up a bus for a movie.

And the same council were heavily criticised for being irresponsible despite best efforts to warn people. Many people including children were terrified and thought it was real.

Anyway, ££££'s of tax payers money wasted whilst police closed and policed the streets. Veterans upset and angered by the incident. Westminster City Council who have expressed annoyance at Top Gear who only had permission to drive past the cenotaph and not do any stunts. All-in-all what a complete waste of time and waste of licence payers money and public resources. My original thoughts were that Top Gear counties to be a complete and utter shambles being run by the inept and incompetent BBC. Despite a few opinions on here that 'all of this ok' I don't think I'll be changing my mind anytime soon. Both Top Gear and the BBC still have a long way to go to validate my respect. That is all !

Anyway, ££££'s of tax payers money wasted whilst police closed and policed the streets. Veterans upset and angered by the incident. Westminster City Council who have expressed annoyance at Top Gear who only had permission to drive past the cenotaph and not do any stunts. All-in-all what a complete waste of time and waste of licence payers money and public resources. My original thoughts were that Top Gear counties to be a complete and utter shambles being run by the inept and incompetent BBC. Despite a few opinions on here that 'all of this ok' I don't think I'll be changing my mind anytime soon. Both Top Gear and the BBC still have a long way to go to validate my respect. That is all !

If the next Top Gear series is half as successful as those led by Clarkson, May and Hammond, then there will be no 'cost' to TV licence payers as the programme made a huge profit from overseas sales of the programme and licenced rights to use the format. Not many programmes can be listed in that list of sales.

Your description of the BBC "shambles" is more Daily Mail anti BBC rhetoric promoted by the owners of that rag who also hold major shares in the ITV franchise.....

If you want to promote your blind faith in your post, at least be open about your influences and a little research on the last Top Gear costs versus Income achieved might just offer a strength to your post when it includes facts.

Stroll on, nothing to see here.

Yours sincerely
Outraged of York! :D

If the next Top Gear series is half as successful as those led by Clarkson, May and Hammond, then there will be no 'cost' to TV licence payers
Well the advertising agency certainly earned their fee on that little stunt ;)

Don't they charge for that?

Your description of the BBC "shambles" is more Daily Mail anti BBC rhetoric promoted by the owners of that rag who also hold major shares in the ITV franchise.....

If you want to promote your blind faith in your post, at least be open about your influences and a little research on the last Top Gear costs versus Income achieved might just offer a strength to your post when it includes facts.

Influences? Certainly not the Daily Wail or other similar rags My opinion is just as valid as yours Hugh but it is my opinion. Please don't pontificate about research or facts though !

You did state that "the true memorials are not the blocks of stones but the war cemeteries which are the final resting places of our 'flower of youth'."

Have you any idea of the vast number of Soldiers, Sailors and Airman that don't have a final resting place. Where is their epitaph Hugh?

That's why the Cenotaph is so important today, not just the First World War but all subsequent wars thereafter and forms the centrepiece for the Remembrance Sunday Parade.

So being open and honest about my influences then (it doesn't stem from reading the Daily Mail or the Sun). I do find this this stunt quite distasteful. I have family who died in both WW1 and WW2 and I have taken part in remembrance parades at the Cenotaph when I served and also as a veteran. I have lost friends who have died in recent battles and I see the results of PTSD and hear the accounts which still haunt servicemen and women today through my voluntary work with the Royal British Legion.

To be honest I am angry that the BBC has sanctioned this, maybe I shouldn't be but I do take the whole thing very personally. I'm not in isolation, so do many other veterans which is quite apparent on 'closed' military forums and groups.

People either understand this or they don't, but if they don't then that's okay by me. We are all influenced by something in our lives and that comes from our past and that also shapes our future. What may seem as something extremely trivial or insignificant to one individual, could be quite important to another person.

To be honest I am angry that the BBC has sanctioned this, maybe I shouldn't be but I do take the whole thing very personally.

I genuinely don't understand why? sorry, all I can see is someone drove a fast car down whitehall. He won't be the last to do so. If he'd got out and had a p*** against then yes.

I think it best we all walk through our lives with hushed voices and bowed heads, lest someone be offended if we don't.:rolleyes:

Influences? Certainly not the Daily Wail or other similar rags My opinion is just as valid as yours Hugh but it is my opinion. Please don't pontificate about research or facts though !

You did state that "the true memorials are not the blocks of stones but the war cemeteries which are the final resting places of our 'flower of youth'."

Have you any idea of the vast number of Soldiers, Sailors and Airman that don't have a final resting place. Where is their epitaph Hugh?

That's why the Cenotaph is so important today, not just the First World War but all subsequent wars thereafter and forms the centrepiece for the Remembrance Sunday Parade.

So being open and honest about my influences then (it doesn't stem from reading the Daily Mail or the Sun). I do find this this stunt quite distasteful. I have family who died in both WW1 and WW2 and I have taken part in remembrance parades at the Cenotaph when I served and also as a veteran. I have lost friends who have died in recent battles and I see the results of PTSD and hear the accounts which still haunt servicemen and women today through my voluntary work with the Royal British Legion.

To be honest I am angry that the BBC has sanctioned this, maybe I shouldn't be but I do take the whole thing very personally. I'm not in isolation, so do many other veterans which is quite apparent on 'closed' military forums and groups.

People either understand this or they don't, but if they don't then that's okay by me. We are all influenced by something in our lives and that comes from our past and that also shapes our future. What may seem as something extremely trivial or insignificant to one individual, could be quite important to another person.

If you want to discuss what I know about those who gave their lives serving our country in more than jus 2 world wars but in conflicts and other actions then I am more than willing to take the conversation off-line. I may surprise you as it is no flippant subject but one that has touched my family over the centuries.

The Cenotaph is but a focal point for a date and time in 1918 that has been expanded to cover all and everything military. I worked for many years just yards away in the Ministry of Defence and I saw and understood it daily as I did in 1959 as a 5 year old. There is nothing trivial or insignificant about what it respresents but it is derisory in the wider scale of rememberance of ALL that should be, but rarely is, remembered.

I, as many, offer my thanks for your service and, through my family and their service have affinity with the RBL.

Since VE Day there has only been 1 year when a British Serviceman has not died 'in action' and as you will know, most will have gone unreported.

Your anger at the BBC is trite when seen as a backdrop of disrespect to our fallen. My anger is directed at the fools that sit behind a gate merely yards away from the Cenotaph and blithely send our youngest and fittest off to die or be maimed in unecessary conflicts. I won't fall into the blah of 'illegal' wars but history alone should have informed the folly of Afghanistan - a country that has never been subjugated and where a multi billon dollar industry cannot deliver an answer to a man on a donkey with a Tefal pressure cooker with £5 worth of explosive in it.

So be as disgusted as you feel you must about the BBC but my disgust is aimed at the stupid ba*tards who occupy a building just up the road who can, but do not, resist the urge to destroy it's youngest and fittest in wars across the globe but who turn up one Sunday a year to lay a wreath.

My offer stands if you want an off line conversation.

And if the filming had taken place on Remembrance Sunday, you would have every right to be offended, but for the rest of the year it sits in the middle of a busy street in a busy city. Surrounded by car horns, engines revving, possibly the odd car accident, people shouting, or laughing.
No different to this one in my home town sitting next to a busy roadside,

Or this one in a neighbouring town,

Or this one on the A11, where vehicles can go thundering past at 70mph.

That last one's for Yanks isn't it?
Not that that's bad thing.

Or this one on the A11, where vehicles can go thundering past at 70mph.
Your info is out of date, I travel that route at least twice a week, I've never seen anyone going past it, that slowly :D

The Yanks one is in ( or at least on the outskirts of ) Cambridge, its a cemetery and memorial combined.
https://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries-memorials/europe/cambridge-american-cemetery

this one is a memorial to those who served and died during World War One, the Great War - from three villages, Elveden, Eriswell, and Icklingham -
where the boundaries of the three parishes meet.
http://wikimapia.org/3279319/Elveden-War-Memorial

Last edited:
Not that that's bad thing.
I had to look it up and found this.
"
its a memorial to those who served and died during World War One, the Great War - from three villages, Elveden, Eriswell, and Icklingham - located here, where the boundaries of the three parishes meet.
"

:p

Your info is out of date, I travel that route at least twice a week, I've never seen anyone going past it, that slowly :D
When I'm off to Snetterton I've not held anyone up while I'm cruising at 70. Mind you not much traffic at about 6:30 on a Sunday morning.

Back