The New Top Gear

When I'm off to Snetterton I've not held anyone up while I'm cruising at 70.
Maybe its because its a dual carriage way?
:p

Your info is out of date, I travel that route at least twice a week, I've never seen anyone going past it, that slowly :D

The Yanks one is in ( or at least on the outskirts of ) Cambridge, its a cemetery and memorial combined.
https://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries-memorials/europe/cambridge-american-cemetery

this one is a memorial to those who served and died during World War One, the Great War - from three villages, Elveden, Eriswell, and Icklingham -
where the boundaries of the three parishes meet.
http://wikimapia.org/3279319/Elveden-War-Memorial

I had to look it up and found this.
"
its a memorial to those who served and died during World War One, the Great War - from three villages, Elveden, Eriswell, and Icklingham - located here, where the boundaries of the three parishes meet.
"
Ahh OK....ta (y)

this one is a memorial to those who served and died during World War One, the Great War - from three villages, Elveden, Eriswell, and Icklingham -
where the boundaries of the three parishes meet.
http://wikimapia.org/3279319/Elveden-War-Memorial

Interesting comments on that link from Ian Thompson:

"Strikingly impressive in a wonderful setting, except for the dreadful noise from the road: departed heroes deserve a little more peace."

Of course, when the Cenotaph (1920) and these other War Memorials were built. There simply was not a great deal of traffic on the roads people were still very raw and there was a lot more respect and courtesy about than there is nowadays.

I think there's a lot of respect remaining.
I also think that respect can be tempered by the reality that the world moves on.
How long are feelings expected to remain raw when three generations have since come to be?

I think there's a lot of respect remaining.
I also think that respect can be tempered by the reality that the world moves on.
How long are feelings expected to remain raw when three generations have since come to be?

Of course the world moves on. Whether there is as much respect for people today than there was fifty years ago is open for debate some of the youngsters today don't even have any respect for themselves. Whilst there are still survivors from the Second World War, The Falklands War and all other subsequent wars then the subject is going to be close to people's hearts. How raw that is for some people only they really know and understand.

I always found it was shocking that Top Gear used a WW2 airfield as a test track with no respect whatsoever for the people who gave their lives for our freedom that flew from there .... and don't get me started on F1 at Silverstone !

"Strikingly impressive in a wonderful setting, except for the dreadful noise from the road: departed heroes deserve a little more peace."

Of course, when the Cenotaph (1920) and these other War Memorials were built. There simply was not a great deal of traffic on the roads people were still very raw and there was a lot more respect and courtesy about than there is nowadays.
Didn't realise you were that old. ;)

I always found it was shocking that Top Gear used a WW2 airfield as a test track with no respect whatsoever for the people who gave their lives for our freedom that flew from there .... and don't get me started on F1 at Silverstone !
Quite a few airfields became race tracks. A WW2 airfield near me is now a Country Park, the Pill Boxes are still there, how dare the local kids play, scream, shout and laugh there.

I knew it was there last year, just wasn't sure if it had been previous to that. We only go there a couple of times a year.
Saves no end of time now you don't have to go through Elveden (y)

Saves no end of time now you don't have to go through Elveden (y)
I always managed to drive straight through heading to Snetterton, never managed it without stopping and queuing coming back though. It is quite picturesque though.

The bodies of the departed heroes are not within the memorials so their need for peace is somewhat 'thin'. The world has moved on and we are no longer living the idyll alluded to.

The war cemeteries in Belgium, however, are incredibly peaceful and it is sobering to meet others there, many of whom are often coming face to face with graves or plaques of relatives they only know from family stories or genealogical research. Their reactiond can be very emotional. There is courtesy and respect everywhere. I give it and, mostly, I receive it back. Wishing things could return to the old ways is pointless.

Respect, gratitude and genuine commitment exists everywhere, if you look for it and offer it. It is inspiring to see how the Dutch, Belgian and French citizens care for and revere the war cemeteries, including those of the German soldiers.

The WWII Normany graves are sometimes only a few in number but are temded with respect and gravitas. The Commonealth War Graves Commission ensure the respect of those who gave their lives all ovr the world.

For anyone who has never visited the cemeteries, I can only say, from my perspective, try to visit at some point. It is both sobering but also a statement that we must never follow those paths again.

My great grandfather was a Major in an Irish regiment of the British Army during 1914-18 and was gassed and was repatriated. He was clear that he was proud to serve but could not talk about his experiences. I remember his forbearance and ill health till he died in 1963. His words were that war was not homourable but they needed to stop 'the hun'. He also said that there should be no more wars. He was very young when he joined up but he said he was old when he came home.

I always managed to drive straight through heading to Snetterton, never managed it without stopping and queuing coming back though. It is quite picturesque though.
You wanna give it a shot circa rush hour ( before the by-pass) it was a bundle of fun :rolleyes:

I think they're on to a loser with that trailer.

It might actually be watchable, but in my opinion the ratings will only be high for a few week and once the novelty has past it will do the same..

I just can't imagine Evans and LeBlanc keeping audiences entertained for seasons to come!

In that clip I saw a fast car racing a fighter jet, Clarkson did that. Saw the team driving diddy cars which break, been done, Manic Icelandic stylee off roading in buggies, again been done. I've said I'll give the new show a chance but tell me they have more than recycled stuff taken from old episodes?

In that clip I saw a fast car racing a fighter jet, Clarkson did that. Saw the team driving diddy cars which break, been done, Manic Icelandic stylee off roading in buggies, again been done. I've said I'll give the new show a chance but tell me they have more than recycled stuff taken from old episodes?

Have to agree with most of that after some scrutiny, they must have some new angles though surely or it will be a bust...

Sorry did not see the other thread when I saw the clip....so just posted. feel free to merge em or whatever makes sense for the forum.

I saw the trailer and thought exactly the same thing, the format hasn't changed, just the presenters.

I'll also give it a chance, could be good and I have nothing to waste but my time watching it.

486277064.jpg

bds-bbctwo.png

Top Gear
8:00pm - 9:00pm Sunday 29th, May, Episode 1

This is how it's being advertised on Freeview Guide......awkward!

For that sake of those with just Sky, is that accessible for anyone else (other than dodgy Utube feeds etc..)

Evans re-introducing the Stig in true Claksonesque style "Some might say that he....."

I can't watch anymore. Le Blanc and Evans are irritating !

Evans re-introducing the Stig in true Claksonesque style "Some might say that he....."

I can't watch anymore. Le Blanc and Evans are irritating !
Agreed - it's just not the same. As irritating as Clarkson was, at least he was entertaining.

Last edited:
Back