The New Top Gear

To much false enthusiasm from Evans, he has to SHOUT EVERYTHING and even had to tell the audience when to cheer for the rally cross thing. Same format but lacking in Polish and personality. May have well renamed it Top Gear USA !

I liked it, new presenters but everything else as before!

Much as I loathe the expression, it was a bit "meh". Same s***, different faces. At least the Antiques Roadshow is decent old crap!

I liked it, new presenters but everything else as before!

I would agree, I'm glad that it didn't turn get turned into another shi**y Chris Evans show.

Now if they could only stop Evans getting all excited and shouty...

We lasted about 15 minutes. Evans was better than expected, but we weren't impressed by Le Blanc at all, and there just didn't seem to be any chemistry between them. They were trying too hard to be Clarkson et al rather than being themselves.

ruined..

nicely shot but no content worth watching so much for the big changes, if they call adding an off road section to the star(one of whom id never even heard of) in a car section Big changes...well enough said

i bet clarkson,hammond and may are micking themselves at the show tonight, le blank looked like he was reading off auto cue and evans was a waste of space and importantly there was no chemistry between them, the old us and them didnt work either, it was neither one thing or another

i very much doubt il bother to watch it again

I thought content was similar to before. Evans was too shouty, but I think he's trying to make the best of a bad job. Le Blanc is a bit blank, not sure what he contributes really. Will give it a chance.

Awful. Just awful. My ears are still ringing after an hour of Chris shouting, I knew getting a soundbar for the telly is a bad idea.
Along with having found it difficult to tell whether I was watching TFIF or the new Top Gear, the total lack of chemistry between the two presenters was pretty obvious.
When Chris said . . . or rather . . . shouted "Yay! Splashy water" in the lap race part, I cringed at that and from that point onwards, my opinion of it all sank even lower. Yes, Clarkson was a bit of an oaf but I love his clear concise voice, along with May's and to a lesser extent, Hammond's.

A big thumbs down from me and I won't bother watching the next episode.

Just about to watch it on iplayer.

The report of Clarkson / Hammond & May were what made the show.

I'll no doubt watch the new TG but I'm looking forward to whatever they come up with.

Awful. Just awful. My ears are still ringing after an hour of Chris shouting, I knew getting a soundbar for the telly is a bad idea.
Along with having found it difficult to tell whether I was watching TFIF or the new Top Gear, the total lack of chemistry between the two presenters was pretty obvious.
When Chris said . . . or rather . . . shouted "Yay! Splashy water" in the lap race part, I cringed at that and from that point onwards, my opinion of it all sank even lower. Yes, Clarkson was a bit of an oaf but I love his clear concise voice, along with May's and to a lesser extent, Hammond's.

A big thumbs down from me and I won't bother watching the next episode.

I actually ended up turning it over after half an hour or so. Evans is annoying.
As a hardcore TG fan it's sad to see the show trying to be the format that made it so successful but without all of the ingredients, a naive move by the BBC who should have quit whilst they were ahead and called the show something completely different. I fear the global viewings and ratings will plummet.

Certainly none of the belly laughs that I used to enjoy, but the last series of Clarkson-era Top Gear wasn't that good either. I will stick with this to give it a chance. This was the first episode afterall.

Even a bad old TG was better. I got bored in the studio bit with the new motor cross lap. First of a flagship new series and the best studio guests they could get were some sweary old tv cook and a nobody? Don't even know who the other guy was.

Reactions: BBR
How did I miss this? I didn't know it was even starting do soon. I'll watch it today and give my verdict.

I was expecting it to be new style new format kind of show, but it turns out to be exact copy of the 3 ol'bloke etiquette ... Evans was kind of soft bitchy trying to be shouty... Le Blanc, ok i liked this guy in Friends but on TG no no... after the introduction, I'd just skip and skip and skip but you know what, ALT+F4 is my answer.

I think the biggest loss to the show will prove to be that of Richard Porter and not the 3 presenters. Early days though!

I didn't think it was that bad tbh. Yes Evans was a bit OTT and for some reason the sound was terrible in that his voice sounded so echoey, reverberating around the studio.

The annoying thing for me is that they kept the old format, including the God awful star in a car crap even if they did change it slightly. Too many items carried through from the old series and too many nods (ie digs) at Clarkson etc. A chance to make Top Gear good again after years of Clarkson and Hamster ruining it (imo) with the same old staged bullsh*t and they've cocked it right up.

I'll still watch, but am so disappointed at the lack of effort put into making Top Gear a top show again.

The BBC own the TG format. It's the stig, it's the star in a reasonably priced car. That's what it is. They have little choice but to re-do what has been done before as that is what they own.

The BBC own the TG format. It's the stig, it's the star in a reasonably priced car. That's what it is. They have little choice but to re-do what has been done before as that is what they own.
I'm not entirely sure that means they're stuck with it in that exact format. More so that others can't copy it.

The same show with different presenters, it's proven to be a winning format so why change it?

I'm not a massive fan of Chris Evans though, and Matt LeBlanc looked very wooden.

Last edited:
These things take time, when Chris Evans took over the Wogan show, it was the Wogan breakfast show with a different presenter, loads of TOG's switched off and there was a dip in audience figures.

With a year, Evans had started to make changes, and the audience figures rallied.

Now the show is completely different, so is the audience, and it's a bigger audience.

I might have preferred revolution, but it seems the Beeb prefers evolution.

The same show with different presenters, it's proven to be a winning format so why change it?
I don't think the format was the winner though and everyone anticipated the poor ratings as they can't replace those who left at doing well exactly what they did.

I know I'm in the minority, but for years I've been bored and slightly irritated with their nonsense and hoped the BBC had the balls to give us more than just a change in personnel.

I don't think the format was the winner though and everyone anticipated the poor ratings as they can't replace those who left at doing well exactly what they did.

I know I'm in the minority, but for years I've been bored and slightly irritated with their nonsense and hoped the BBC had the balls to give us more than just a change in personnel.

If i'm not mistaken it's the Beebs most popular export, shown in countless countries, to me that's a winning format.

If i'm not mistaken it's the Beebs most popular export, shown in countless countries, to me that's a winning format.

It certainly has been, but will that continue ? it's far to early to say if the latest re-hash will but time will tell. No doubt MLB will enable the American market to engage fairly swiftly. Where at the moment Chris Evans is having the opposite effect here.

Last edited:
I think it will get better and has the makings of a good show. It will get better because it couldn't get worse.All the BBC need to do is dump CE, make it more about cars, less scripted, unless they can get a good writer, and front it with Matt LeBlanc and Sabine Schmidt.
Can't wait for the Autumn...

I watched it and it was, well, OK. But then I dislike Evans and I had to be told who that american chappie is, as I never watch US programs. It's good as a filler. It's obvious that it's been made with a strong eye on the american market, though, and that's a downer for me.

I wasn't writing it off before seeing it but I only lasted 10 mins and turned it off. Boring boring boring.

Last edited:
I can't say I particularly like Evans and I'm probably the only one that like leBlanc, but I definitely prefer his more laid backness than Evans over the top.
Over all I thought it was OK and will carry on watching more.

It was rubbish.

No chemistry.

No imagination.

No soul.

Extragear however was rather good. I liked the mini reviews and it wasn't trying to be anything other than what it was. A mini spin off with a different perspective and presenters who are both natural and more in tune with cars and perhaps the people who enjoy them. It was certainly more appealing to me. I'll watch extragear. I won't watch top gear. + it's only a matter of time before Dave is ruined with reruns of Evans. Anything S23 or later is barred from my household.

I thought that it was poor - Evans, I do not understand why he is popular ....... I just feel that he is idiotic
The American - he just looked uncomfortable and out of place - and do they really expect him to switch on to english humour

even the audience seemed "out of touch"

They delivered a very poor first episode ........ and the inclusion of Gordon Ramsey said it all .... f....ing terrible

Last edited:
Don't think I'll bother. I eagerly watched TFI when it came back a few months ago, and was horrified at how rubbish it was. Maybe I've just grown up a bit for Evans now. What made TG was the chemistry between Clarkson et al, and even if it was scripted and set up, some points were genuinely funny. Just can't get excited about different people trying to copy that.

Embarrassing, cringeworthy, and those were its good points!

I really wanted to like it but I got to the end of the "star in a rally car" bit and gave up. Roll on The Grand Tour.

Back