The New Top Gear

Embarrassing, cringeworthy, and those were its good points!

I really wanted to like it but I got to the end of the "star in a rally car" bit and gave up. Roll on The Grand Tour.

Could not agree more, Evans voice was so bloody annoying as well

I tried to stick with it but I ended up switching over.

I may tape in in future so I can FF through the dull or annoying bits. I think they're having a Jag on next week so... I'll record it.

Well I enjoyed it overall, not amazing but ok. Evans and and Le Blanc seemed a bit forced in places but it's early days and there were glimmers of positivity when Evans looked more relaxed. I look forward to seeing a bit more of Sabine going forward.

The Blackpool trip was a bit of a flop but the Aerial and Viper sections were good enough. Pretty sure I've seen more cringe worthy stuff from Clarkson etc. in the past, it wasn't all grade A from them either.

As much as I used to enjoy it, the old Top Gear line up had had its day in my opinion. The Clarkson, Hammond, May relationship was just getting tired. Same old same old every week with the competitions and insults just getting more and more ridiculous to drag it out a bit further. I think the timing probably worked quite well for Clarkson et al to exit on a relative high.

to tell you the truth, It was crap, IMHO

Last edited:
It was utterly awful. Evans was cringeworthy, there was no charisma, the humour fell flat and the films were boring as hell. I was willing to give this a chance after watching the vomit inducing crud I watched last night I won't bother with the rest of the series. Farewell Top Gear, it was fun while it lasted - from a long time fan.

I've already said the show was abysmal and the presenters irritating but I'll give it one more week before passing full judgement. What I really don't want to be seeing next week is the UK-V-USA competition again, that was cringeworthy and made uncomfortable viewing.

Evans was at his most annoying.the audience looked like they were embarrassed to be there and the sketches were all ones already done before,just worse.
Le Blanc was so so...just wasn't as bad as CE.
Overall it was bland and boring.
Ps evans seems to have lost it a bit on Twitter...
FACT!

Say what wenlike about Evans, he always has managed to bring dead shows back to life. And became blody rich in the process. So he cant be stupid. Lets see what changes he makes over the next 4 months

I reckon the new presenters (at least the non racing drivers among them!) should be sent out on the new Star in an FWD BMW track. Maybe even send ALL the test cars round that track to see how they cope in real world driving situations!!!

Say what wenlike about Evans, he always has managed to bring dead shows back to life. And became blody rich in the process. So he cant be stupid. Lets see what changes he makes over the next 4 months

It's all been filmed already, there won't likely be any changes this series, and given the public reaction (10,000 plus posts on the Top Gear FB page 99% slating it), if it carries on through like this the BBC won't commission another series given how much it costs them. No way.

The studio bits haven't been filmed. Those they can change. They can also re-edit items and move content around between the online and broadcast programmes. It's not beyond change.

Maybe they'll take some advice then, and ditch Evans altogether from the studio and we'll only have to put up with him on the filmed segments. Interestingly, it's quite easy to get tickets to the filming (2nd June available), when I applied a while ago there was a 2 year wait!

I think they're having a Jag on next week so... I'll record it.

Wonder if Evans will extend the word Jag Clarkson style?

Evans was trying too hard, shouting and whooping all the time got annoying. I thought MLB was ok, he seemed a little uncomfortable, but he wasn't trying to be something he's not, his Nomad section wasn't too bad.

The Extragear show was much better, I think the BBC should've used more of this in the main show.

I'll give it another go, it's still early days, but if CE carries on the way he did I may have to abandon it and stick with the Extragear.

You realise putting that at the end of your post, doesn't make it so, yes?

you obviously don`t realise i was copying Chris Evans.......he was saying FACT in his tweets.......yes?

Last edited:
You realise putting that at the end of your post, doesn't make it so, yes?
worked in my PhD thesis.

even though I said I wouldn't watch it I gave it a go, it was god awful, CE is a ginger t*** who should be sent to north korea. ML wasn't so bad apart from not pronoucing words correctly. The nomad film wasn't bad but the other stuff was pretty crap. could have done much more on the american muscle cars and the UKvUSA thing was just pointless.

worked in my PhD thesis.

even though I said I wouldn't watch it I gave it a go, it was god awful, CE is a ginger t*** who should be sent to north korea. ML wasn't so bad apart from not pronoucing words correctly. The nomad film wasn't bad but the other stuff was pretty crap. could have done much more on the american muscle cars and the UKvUSA thing was just pointless.

Not much required for the PHD then :D

It was utterly awful. Evans was cringeworthy, there was no charisma, the humour fell flat and the films were boring as hell. I was willing to give this a chance after watching the vomit inducing crud I watched last night I won't bother with the rest of the series. Farewell Top Gear, it was fun while it lasted - from a long time fan.

You're undecided then? :)

It was awful!!! Only watched about half of it - a so called star in a car, Nomad, and the landrover/jeep part.

Did the make up artist use Cuprinol on MLB as he was so wooden it was unbelievable. Really poor and just not funny. Now I don't mind Chris, liked TFI and don't mind his breakfast show (although listened to that less In recent months) but it looks like it is a failure already. Ok, it is just the 1st episode, but what annoyed me is the its pretty much the same as before but without the 3 star components. The presenters were what made it great, so after losing them, this was a good chance to revamp the show, make it a bit different. In the past TG was a must watch program, today it will just be something if nothing else is on.

It was awful!!! Only watched about half of it - a so called star in a car, Nomad, and the landrover/jeep part.

Did the make up artist use Cuprinol on MLB as he was so wooden it was unbelievable. Really poor and just not funny. Now I don't mind Chris, liked TFI and don't mind his breakfast show (although listened to that less In recent months) but it looks like it is a failure already. Ok, it is just the 1st episode, but what annoyed me is the its pretty much the same as before but without the 3 star components. The presenters were what made it great, so after losing them, this was a good chance to revamp the show, make it a bit different. In the past TG was a must watch program, today it will just be something if nothing else is on.

And if they had changed the format, no doubt you and others would have been whining "why did they change a winning format?".

What a pile of carp it was, best laugh of the night was watching the studio audience reactions etc, you could see they clearly didn't want to be there.

As for CE and MLB, boring and wooden, CE annoys me to hell, dont mind him on the radio when you cant see him, its MLB has had a personality transplant after Friends.

wont be watching it again. FACT

What a pile of carp it was, best laugh of the night was watching the studio audience reactions etc, you could see they clearly didn't want to be there.

Strange thing to say. Were they forced to be there? I was always under the impression that people DID choose to be there.

you obviously don`t realise i was copying Chris Evans.......he was saying FACT in his tweets.......yes?

I don't do Twatter.

I seem to be one of the only ones that actually enjoyed it, although I only watched the second half from the Ariel Nomad onward. I'm not sure about the chemistry between Chris and Matt yet though (Chris is a penis and Matt's clearly an actor not a presenter), but I'll give it a chance. So many good shows are only good once they've got into it, and the first few episodes are quite often awkward and crap, so I'll give it another few weeks of watching before I decide to keep with it.

I think half the problem is that 90% of people (on social media I mean, not on TP. I'm not pointing at anyone on here!) already decided they didn't like it before they'd even watched an episode, and no matter how good they'd made it people would have dismissed it. I wanted to really dislike it but it was better than I had expected.

And if they had changed the format, no doubt you and others would have been whining "why did they change a winning format?".

The thing is, Evans was bleating and bragging early on in the media about it *not* following the established format and that it was a whole new show, his own version of Top Gear so I think criticism there is valid.

He's failed to deliver on all counts.

Last edited:

Maybe, but the key things was that clarkson May and Hammond were the winning format. The show was just a vehicle for them.

Or maybe keep the format but get better presenters, mlb was dire.

Strange thing to say. Were they forced to be there? I was always under the impression that people DID choose to be there.

They had probably applied for tickets from the Applause Store from at the time old Top Gear was being filmed, as I did. This list has a long waiting time (at one point as much as 2 years).

I think most would rather have seen Clarkson et al as that's why they applied in the first place, only have have to listen to the ginger ferret shout and jump around the room like a child with ADHD who's eaten too many e-numbers.

Reportedly, he shouted at the audience during filming, told them to take their hands out of their pockets and even criticised what some were wearing, and even told them when to laugh and shouted at them when they didn't.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-top-gear-audience-who-didnt-laugh-at-his-jo/

No wonder they didn't want to be there!

Audience members walking out of the studio before they finished filming;

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...s-evans-before-filming-finishes-a7042081.html

Clearly, they wanted to be there to start with, then decided to bugger off before it was even finished!

Last edited:
I seem to be one of the only ones that actually enjoyed it, although I only watched the second half from the Ariel Nomad onward. I'm not sure about the chemistry between Chris and Matt yet though (Chris is a penis and Matt's clearly an actor not a presenter), but I'll give it a chance. So many good shows are only good once they've got into it, and the first few episodes are quite often awkward and crap, so I'll give it another few weeks of watching before I decide to keep with it.

I think half the problem is that 90% of people (on social media I mean, not on TP. I'm not pointing at anyone on here!) already decided they didn't like it before they'd even watched an episode, and no matter how good they'd made it people would have dismissed it. I wanted to really dislike it but it was better than I had expected.

No. As a lifelong TG fan I wanted to like it and gave it a chance. I was massively disappointed. A change of guard would have been acceptable if the content was good and well executed but it simply wasn't, and if the old guard and what they achieved was respected, rather than insulted (both actually insulted and metaphorically insulted). Old Top Gear had fans for a reason and all this was a slap in the face for them, and it didn't need to be. But mostly - the films were very poor, and quite embarrassing, I was actually cringing during the Top Gun segment with the quotes and cars with guns, it just didn't work with these guys. And overall, it was just boring. I can watch old TG episodes all day long on Dave, I could barely make it through this episode once.

The early criticism for those early haters was also proven 100% correct - Chris Evans is an awful host with absolutely no charisma, and is someone who really has issues making friends (no pun!). That is certainly evident when noting the utter lack of chemistry between him and his co stars, and even the audience. Everything he did was forced and fake, and it showed. It was just bad.

People have to remember that the show has fans that cared about it. It's like someone making you your favourite meal and before serving it, curling out a massive turd right on top of it.

Last edited:
I can watch old TG episodes all day long on Dave, I could barely make it through this episode once.

That.

Speaking as a home carer looking after an elderly mother and so the telly is on quite a bit, thus I find myself using the banter between Clarkson, Hammond and May as a nice bit of background chatter. Should the new TG eventually filter it's way to Dave, I would not be able to bear Chris's shouting second time round for very long before reaching for the remote control.

Dave TV better roll up it's sleeves and hope for/beg for/steal episodes of The Grand Tour once it's done the rounds on Amazon.

worked in my PhD thesis.

This actually sums up my thoughts on it fairly precisely.
It seemed to me that mr evans was just trying to be mr clarkson, and it all just felt a bit... lame.

They had the opportunity to fix all the things that were wrong with old TG and failed.

However, I still think the filming was good and the Nomad segment was the best bit until they started getting too silly with drones / paraglider.

I feel CG was doing a pastiche of JC, but shoutier.
MLB has potential

I mean to watch Extra Gear on BBC3 as I've heard positives about that.

Back