The new version of Flickr

Well I like it. Just jibbed off my Pro account as it turns out I was only using 0.96% of my 1TB allowance. Ads don't really bother me, never click them anyway. Not had any loading problems so far either.

It wasn't broken, so why "fix" it :thinking:
No one was complaining about how it worked before and i never had any speed issues but now it's so slow that my tablet just gives up :bang:

They haven't "fixed it", they have evolved it. It's what all companies do to their products. I also saw a lot of criticism aimed at Flickr prior to this change from people saying it was looking dated and being left behind by the likes of 500px.
By the way, it works fine on my iPad.

couple of questions
would this now be a good photo backup option?
can you set albums or collections to private as a free user?
is there a good way to upload a massive amount of pics easily?

Just hover the cursor over your little avatar thingy in the top right and you get a pop up.

I'm not seeing anything regarding used space there, I thought it only displayed that info to free users.

Well that must be it then! I reverted to free so that's probably the reason I see it.

All I'm getting is a white page and nothing else.

I also downloaded the new Android app today after dumping the old one months ago for being clunky. 7MB in 2.34 minutes???

No thanks. Goodbye

Yeah it seems to be running like a dog. A 1 legged dog..

Yea I spoke too soon!

White page an nowt else!:bang:

Same here guys white screen of death ? On Firefox

They haven't "fixed it", they have evolved it. It's what all companies do to their products. I also saw a lot of criticism aimed at Flickr prior to this change from people saying it was looking dated and being left behind by the likes of 500px.
By the way, it works fine on my iPad.

Do you mind logging off so the rest of us can have a go (y)

Not working for me either now, what a load of cr@p

I've read all the moans on FB about but not had chance to see it for myself as have been PC-less.

I still can't tell you what I think because it won't load. I've got bored after clicking refresh 163 times..... :)

I like it on my ipad now it's working. Have cancelled my pro account as its just not worth me continuing.

You can have 1 terabyte as long as you just post just white photos. Well that works a treat :D Crappy flickr. I am going off it very quickly since the wonderful change.

Yep, white screen here as well. Images linked from Flickr on here are showing fine, but clicking through gives an internal error :(

Can't get my head around this pro thingy; am I meant to cancel my existing pro account?

Same here guys white screen of death ? On Firefox

Same here, it was fine a couple of hours ago.

ReEdit: Its back up, and down again.

There was much 'up in armsness' on the flickr central forums earlier, well over 100 pages of angry flickrites demanding no less, their old flickr back.

I read somewhere today that if you keep up the payment for a pro account nothing will change for you, the fee stays the same and your unlimited space is the same. But if you lapse you can only go back with the free or the $49.99 or the $499.99 (WTF?) memberships.

Last edited:
Have just noticed Flickr studio is free normally 2.99 in the iTunes Store from reading the comments and that's working fine and for free its worth a try.

Apart from the bugs (pages refusing to scroll or load at all, graphics overlapping etc.), I don't like the new interface at all. I much prefer to be able to click from one page to another than have to scroll up and down with images continually loading as I do it. Much harder to find what I'm looking for or to get to where I want to go - and I don't just think that this is a case of getting used to it - with the old style, I could see what I wanted (information and/or hyper-link) before I clicked on it - with the new one, the information just isn't visible - it has taken the pleasure out of using it for me.

Must be in the minority here as mines working fine and clicked on a couple of the above signatures and works fine.
When opening your photo stream if edit is clicked it takes you straight to how Flickr used to look

As if by magic, it's back! And I like the look of it. A lot.

Just checked the privacy & permissions setting, and Flickr determines which size photos it allows visitors to see and download by default. (2048px images)

It wasn't broken, so why "fix" it :thinking:
No one was complaining about how it worked before and i never had any speed issues but now it's so slow that my tablet just gives up :bang:

Netscape Navigator was alright and I guess we could all still pootle around in Ford Anglias but this is 2013 dear.

Flickr forum is blazing with complaints. I have hidden all my photos until it is sorted.

The thing is we're creatures of Habit, give it a few weeks when it's all ironed out and people will be having a Flickr love in ;)

i quite like it too. A shame the change is only skin deep though, the groups / discussion areas are just as crap as they ever were.

Apart from the bugs (pages refusing to scroll or load at all, graphics overlapping etc.), I don't like the new interface at all. I much prefer to be able to click from one page to another than have to scroll up and down with images continually loading as I do it. Much harder to find what I'm looking for or to get to where I want to go - and I don't just think that this is a case of getting used to it - with the old style, I could see what I wanted (information and/or hyper-link) before I clicked on it - with the new one, the information just isn't visible - it has taken the pleasure out of using it for me.

What "information" are you looking for ?

I don't mind the new skin, its something I will get used to. What I don't like to they have altered everyone's settings. Everyone needs to check their settings. Mine had changed so anyone could download the original image.

Flickr setting: Who can access your original image files (Who should be able to access your original image files and other sizes without deterrents?) = Anyone (recommended)

Now changed to only me.

Quote from Flickr

This setting lets you choose who can see your original image files. This setting applies to your whole photostream, except items you've licensed with Creative Commons (because doing that means you're okay with people using them).

Enabling this setting also places deterrents to discourage downloading of your other sizes. (And we really do mean "discourage". Please understand that if a photo can be viewed in a web browser, it can be downloaded.)

I definitely won't be putting up any image higher than 1024 pixels, I can't see any benefit of uploading a high res image other than giving away an image. It may not help me much as an amateur but I'm sure it may help pros who sell images. Seems to me Flickr wants to become a free stock photography site where any image is available to download by anyone. Flickr seems to think they can decide we are happy giving away our images.

Last edited:
Back