The new version of Flickr

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed but has anyone read the comments from the Yahoo CEO, Marissa Mayer, regarding the new Flickr:

"There's no such thing as Flickr Pro today because with so many people taking photos with smartphones there really is no such thing as a professional photographer"

Now, I realise Flickr isn't necessarily geared towards pro photographers and with the abundance of smartphones almost anyone can take a picture and upload it, but I can't help feeling that the above comment sorta cheapens a whole profession.

You're a bit behind the news.....

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/22/marissa-mayer-sorry-for-misstatement-on-professional-photographers/

Everyone's a photographer these days... dontcha know that? :)

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed but has anyone read the comments from the Yahoo CEO, Marissa Mayer, regarding the new Flickr:

"There's no such thing as Flickr Pro today because with so many people taking photos with smartphones there really is no such thing as a professional photographer"

Now, I realise Flickr isn't necessarily geared towards pro photographers and with the abundance of smartphones almost anyone can take a picture and upload it, but I can't help feeling that the above comment sorta cheapens a whole profession.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: my mate asked years ago why do they think they are PRO togs, at the side of their name, I said they have a pro account basically they arent pro tog but pro services users other words they pay

Last edited:
Mine takes so long to load now on the new version that its almost unusable anymore for me. I have tried numerous times but have now given up!!

This for me is about the most serious issue ... it's broke!

Mine takes so long to load now on the new version that its almost unusable anymore for me. I have tried numerous times but have now given up!!

I thought it was just my Sky broadband at first! (which is slow enough anyway despite paying for unlimited).

Not sure I like the new version yet. I was hoping it would grow on me.Some aspects are definitely worse.

You can see large high-res original files?

I must admit, there are a few changes that will take a bit of getting used to, but overall I like the new look.

Oh, and I have not experienced any of the speed issues people are mentioning either... Can view high res originals no problem, both on my PC and even on my iPad wirelessly.

Previously I could decide how the pictures appeared in my photostream (number on page, size of thumbnail) - I cannot work out any way of changing that now.

Agreed

Same when viewing sets.

Images look nice but I know what my images are like - I'm not bothered how they appear, I just want fast easy access to them not a huge montage that takes ages to wade through if I'm just looking to grab a photo I know is in my set.

I asked at the beginning of the thread whether I could somehow view my photostream (or a chosen set) as a grid of smaller images.

I was advised to click the 'edit' button but that takes me away from my 'photostream' or 'set' to the 'organize' function which isn't what I want.

Any new ideas ???

Last edited:
Settings-Manage your pro subscription.

Your Flickr Pro subscription:
Your Pro account will renew automatically on 15th October, 2013

Thanks, but when I click settings there is no such option for me as Manage your pro subscription :(

I have these:

Your Flickr account

You are signed in to Flickr via your Yahoo ID (kennysarmy)

You have a Flickr Pro Account. It expires on 22nd December, 2013.
•Extend your Pro Account
•View your order history
•View all the gifts you've purchased​

If you really don't like the new montage when viewing photos, just add ?details=1 to the end of the URL

Thanks, but when I click settings there is no such option for me as Manage your pro subscription :(

I have these:

Your Flickr account

You are signed in to Flickr via your Yahoo ID (kennysarmy)

You have a Flickr Pro Account. It expires on 22nd December, 2013.
•Extend your Pro Account
•View your order history
•View all the gifts you've purchased​

The only way round this for others is to buy an upgrade which will take effect from Dec. 22nd, but this seems to have not converted me to a recurring Pro member...

Not very clear but I am happy to pay $25 per year to remove the ads and get the stats...

:LOL::LOL::LOL: my mate asked years ago why do they think they are PRO togs, at the side of their name, I said they have a pro account basically they arent pro tog but pro services users other words they pay

I always thought it was strange that they chose Pro as the name for premium accounts when the Community Guidelines (i.e. the terms for using the site) say you'll be banned for selling via Flickr or for linking to commercial websites on your image pages.

Last edited:
Didnt know it was changing just logged on.
Horrified. Hate it with a passion. Was perfect as was. Simple easy to navigate.
Well thats just me I guess.

Gaz
No not just you, I aggree 100% like many many others, to quote an American term "it sucks":shake:

My favourites aren't showing up in the android version of the mobile app. Is anyone else having this issue?

My favourites aren't showing up in the android version of the mobile app. Is anyone else having this issue?

Same here, other bits are fine but the favourites page just shows the loading animation.

Same here, other bits are fine but the favourites page just shows the loading animation.

I've tried adding another favourite to see if it triggers something but no joy. Hopefully the app developer sorts it with an update. Soon.....

Well I've resisted posting here as I didn't want to make a rash judgement, but now that I've used it for a couple of days and got used to where everything is I actually really like it. The speed doesn't seem to be an issue either for me on my PC :)

Glas that wasn't just me, what a bizzare way to say your websites not working :wacky: kind of like it though :D

Jack (y)

Been doing it too much for me. I'm only trying to view the help forum :D
I expect when it comes back it will be bigger and better :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody managed to actually view a large sized original?

Ah, yes that works - I had been clicking on the small pic to get the medium pic ... then clicking on the medium pic brought on a freeze!

I didn't mind the 'justified' look as before with contacts uploads & browsing groups.

I don't like the 'home page' with recent activity mixed in with contacts uploads etc I know the option is there to click, scroll then click again for that old view. It was simple with activity above, contacts uploads below that & group activity at the bottom for discusions. I also prefered my photostream page with a column of 5 [?] medium images & then collections down the right hand side.

I also don't like the black background behind the image with the comments etc right below off screen. It also seems pointless having 'lightbox' when viewing it in lightbox is the same as viewing it anyway......

I guess we'll all have to get used to it though after our initial moaning :)

It appears to be down at the mo :shrug:

The old expression - "If it aint broke then it don't need fixing" comes to mind.
What a pile of rubbish.

hmmm

Seems like the dumbing down of flickr, I hate that in your face look of the home page.

Kind of like a windows 8 / Toys R Us Interface.

So, now we can upload hi res images, now why would that be I wonder? Call me skeptical but I wonder if they have some plans for them?

I had it running quite well yesterday BUT back too lock down now :bang:

Back