weekly The Oakster's 52 - Week 11 "SHINY" added

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
Well here goes.... :Gulp:

I am completely new to photography so I'm hoping to see some improvement over the year :D

The Google Photo52 2012 Spreadsheet

Week 1 : Direction - (Original Shots) - (Suggested Edits Version)
Week 2 : Fear - (Original Shot)
Week 3 : Sigh - (Original Shot)
Week 4 : Sweet - (Original Shots)
Week 5 : Secure - (Original Shot) - (Final Edit)
Week 6 : Industry - (Original Shot)
Week 7 : Root - (Original Shot)
Week 8 : Handmade - (Original Shot)
Week 9 : Money - (Original Shot)
Week 10 : Win - (Original Shot) - (Edit)
Week 11 : Shiny - (Original Shot)
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week 18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited:
Well here I go. I had loads of great ideas but my mind's eye and my photography skills, equipment and opportunities didn't quite match up!

The first one is closest to what I wanted to achieve but ideally I wanted the back ground more blurred and the footpath sign more prominent whilst keeping the wider shot. I may be asking the impossible but if you aim high... (you get disappointed :p)

P1000732 by The_Oakster, on Flickr

Looking at it back at home I see I could have moved to the right more, which may have opend the footpath sign up so that you could actually see it and it wouldnt have taken away from the long view down the trees. When I took the photo I didnt see any potential and wasnt going to use it.

This next one was so that I could get the footpath sign in.

P1000734 by The_Oakster, on Flickr

Thoughts and comments?

My preference is for #2 although would have preferred the focus to have been on the signpost itself. Well done for stepping up to the challenge - not easy for someone new to the hobby. I'm sure you'll gain a lot as you go through it.

I like the composition of the first one, it's just a shame the sign post wasn't pointing right or left to fully get the feel of direction. As said above the second image is great but focus on the sign would of been better.

My preference is for #2 although would have preferred the focus to have been on the signpost itself. Well done for stepping up to the challenge - not easy for someone new to the hobby. I'm sure you'll gain a lot as you go through it.

Ditto.

Steve

First one for me I have to say, and yes i agree re the signpost, but also a shame you couldn't get the right side of the wide gate in too.

Personally I would be tempted to revisit if handy and take another shot with these points bearing in mind and yes I would check the sign to see if it can be rotated slightly without damaging it, just enough to show it, before putting it back in the correct position.

Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated :D

I will see if I can move the sign but if not a reposition to the right may kill two birds as I may be able to get the sign in as it is and the edge of the gate.

As for the focus on the sign in the second one, it's so obvious but I didn't even notice! Beginners not luck eh ;)

A revisit is planned though it won't be until Saturday morning. Just in time for week 2 :D

Hi Ben and welcome aboard – great to see you joining in.

First one is a really pretty countryside scene, but as you said a little to the right to get the sign pointing toward the footpath would have given you a stronger focal point in terms of fitting the theme. For me though, the big improvement would have been for you to have got down a little lower with the camera. The horizon is right in the centre of the image as is, but by getting down lower you could have placed the horizon on the upper third of the image. This would have :

a) Given the image a bit more balance to the eye. Not all images need to follow the rule of thirds, but I think it does work particularly well in landscapes.
b) Reduced the amount of sky in shot. The flat white sky is the least interesting part of the image and because it’s bright it does tend to dominate and take the interest away from the foreground.
c) Given a greater feel of perspective and distance to the footpath which would draw you further into the image.

You’ll be able to see a little of what I mean by cropping some off the top of the image.

Second works better from a composition perspective, but as said I would have liked to have seen the sign being the sharpest point of focus in the shot.

Its all been said above Ben so I would just like to add that this is what the 52 (for me anyway) is about. Posting your images up here, getting others perspective/opinions I am sure you will really see your photography come on through the year, I know I did in 2010 when I last did the 52.
I like all your images, the thought behind them too. Good luck. Iain

Hi Ben....

Great start to your challenge...all crit has been mentioned...just wanted to say....like your thinking & your images (y)

This challenge will help you no end , can be tough at times but mainly it's good fun & you learn along the way....keep up the good work (y)

Just going to squeeze these edits in before Week 2 gets going :D

The first has been taken from a lower angle and has the full width of the gate in but I couldnt turn the footpath sign so its still not visible. I havent cloned the post out as I only have Lightroom and its new to me so I dont know if it can be done or not.

P1000807 by The_Oakster, on Flickr

This one has the sign in focus but due to my camera I am unable to get a shallow DoF so the immediate background is still fairly sharp. The reason the photo's are in black and white by the way is that the sign has been spray painted red and so it spoils the look.

P1000808 by The_Oakster, on Flickr

This is a third I took today to try and get enough of the sign and the gate in.

P1000811 by The_Oakster, on Flickr

I have a MASSIVE fear of flying. I have flown long haul and short haul but I've come to the decision that I won't do it anymore as its not worth the weeks of worry prior to flying and then the sheer panic for 24 hours on the day of the flight.

We have a small airfield a 5 minute walk from my house so I paid it a visit...

Week 2 - Fear a by The_Oakster, on Flickr

The idea was to have the engine in the foreground with a full plane in the background but there were simply no planes far enough away to get quite the distance I wanted between them. This was as close as I could get it. I was pleased with the DoF though as if you have read my thread in the Basics forum youll know my camera just doesn't do it well. Im not sure if its just a bit cluttered though...

Last edited:
I agree it is a bit cluttered and it's not saying fear to me as a standalone picture, but I like the reasons you took it and the thoughts behind it.

I do like the pic though, nice focus on the near plane while throwing the rear one out of focus too.

Fear is definitely a personal thing, if you had the fear I do then you'd understand. I dont even like watching a film scene of inside a plane because I can imagine me being there :puke:

The uncluttered version although the prop on the rear plane was cut off:

Week 2 - Fear a1 by The_Oakster, on Flickr

I prefer the second uncluttered version Ben, I too have a fear of flying myself and flew 4 times in 3 days in March totaling over 18 hours in the air to get myself over it!

Nightmare. Did it work?

Many thanks for taking the time to comment everyone, it's much appreciated (y)

Hi Ben....

liking your Fear shots...both your thinking & the shots....torn between the 2 but think I prefer the 1st one...colors seem a bit richer & like the lack of space between the plane & the engine...nice work & great use of DOF :clap:

ps...don;t forget to update the spreadsheet...makes it far simpler to see who's done what...link in 1st post where the themes are posted up....I've updated wk 1 & 2 for you (y)

A nice concept showing your personal fear well, would have been tempted to try and get a shot of a parachute or 'eject' button as the foreground instead. Well done so far, keep it up.

ps...don;t forget to update the spreadsheet...makes it far simpler to see who's done what...link in 1st post where the themes are posted up....I've updated wk 1 & 2 for you (y)

I'm confused. What spreadsheet...?

Hi Ben, I personally like the second edited shot for direction, think the crop works as does the B&W :)

Fear is a lovely photo and again I prefer the second photo, I looked at the photo before the comments and It doesn't really say fear to me but having read your explanation I understand (If that makes sense).

Oh and don't be affraid of flying, if you fall out of the sky it's only the last half an inch that hurts :)

Cracking start to your 52 mate, look forward to seeing more.

My preference is #1 which has less empty space. Given it's your fear I think the images of planes would be taking over your mind hence me thinking less empty space.

Thanks for feedback Rolyratman (y)

Ill be honest and admit I didn't think that deeply about it Delta Skies but I like that analogy and may have to borrow it for future posts ;)

About 20 photos taken today and none any good or looking anything like 'sigh'. Ive got some other ideas but...

Hard week.

New Camera. New 50mm f1.8. New Week. New level of difficulty!

New post :D

Week 3 - Sigh by The_Oakster, on Flickr

Thats an iron in the background by the way but the crop took the top off. Still learning :)

Last edited:
Nice shot Ben, your subject looks totally fed up and needs a good sigh. Have you tried flipping the shot so she is looking to the left? I think it lets you into the shot better what with us reading from left to right.

I really like this Ben,

For me the crop draws attention to the eyes as the focal point.
Great results for a hard week.

Chris

nice shot and yes she looks totally fed up

Great shot! I don't think it needs the iron; it says sigh through and through without, and if the iron was more prominent it might be distracting.

Back