weekly The Oakster's 52 - Week 11 "SHINY" added

Nice one Ben. Lovely soft tones, and yes, she definitely looks REALLY fed up!

Thanks for the great comments! I wasnt completely convinced that it worked.

Very little PP too. A crop, a bit of contrast and vignetting.

(y)

Last edited:
perfect sigh :)

I think you have exposed that just about right and it says a big Sigh, don’t know about the iron :LOL:

I appreciate the comments everyone. I am looking forward to Saturday now. Getting this week right is a big confidence builder :D

Hi, sigh, not an easy one to do.

You've almost caught a sign...I'd just like to see more sigh in the mouth.

Slight crop of the finger...minor point.

Cheers.

..You've almost caught a sign...I'd just like to see more sigh in the mouth.

Slight crop of the finger...minor point.

When the sigh was caught it just didnt look right and the finger is a great piece of constructive criticism :D It just shows how detailed and thorough you should be. (y)

Nice shot, like the PP. Was she acting or really as fed up as she looks?

Good luck with the new gear :)

Half and half really. Acting at first then getting more fed up after I kept changing this and changing that. Especially as Dancing on Ice was on ;) The new gear is much better. :D

Last edited:
Sigh: I like this. Before I read your confession I'd kind of convinced myself that you were in a church. The oof iron looks like a window and whatever is between the iron and your daughters shoulder gives the impression of distance. (or maybe that's just me).

Super take on "sigh", great expression . The tight crop draws you into the eyes.
Well done

Half and half really. Acting at first then getting more fed up after I kept changing this and changing that. Especially as Dancing on Ice was on ;)

The would be a "god, I hate his hobbies" sigh then :)
Lovely shot and great model.

Direction : I think the middle of the edits is the best of them, and has the most clear direction. A little more space possibly to the left of the sign...

Fear : An interesting interpretation, and fits with your fear. I like the engine on display, but as you say, it might be a bit cluttered... not sure what you could have done from there... without going airside...

Sigh : Possibly more fed up, than sigh... but it's a good portrait... perhaps the iron in full might have made it a sigh ;)... maybe shoot from a little lower down ?

Nathalie said:
Hi Ben, I think you did a great job with this week's theme! How are you finding the 50 1.8?

I enjoy using it and keep playing with it. I'm addicted to the f1.8 and need to start using the higher f numbers to see what I can do up that end.

Thanks for looking jgs :D I did want the iron in but there was no way I would have got another photo!

Really like your week 1 set, really nice pictures and B&W suites it well.

Fear - Good picture, nice colours and fits in well if its your own fear

Sigh - a big old sigh! Comes straight across. Good photo.

Yup - a good sigh and I like the B&W conversion.

Thank you for the great comments everyone!

Great photo for sigh, I like it :)

Really nice brokeh in the blurry background.

Great expression! Good luck with the following themes

So. I had a great idea for a nice sepia style shot of an old style sweet shop with sweets in the jars and home made fudges. I work shifts so I only had today before Saturday. Checked the website to see its opening times and it all worked brilliantly!

Went there today and...

DSC_0145 by The_Oakster, on Flickr

Back to the drawing board.

oh no, not good

After my disappointment this morning I set out to get this topic done today! However, all I'm left with is indecision! So here are my 3 offerings:

This one is an attempt to get an old school sweet shop effect like I originally wanted but its an ice cream shop, its closed and I dont think it looks particularly old.

Week 4 - Sweet 3 by The_Oakster, on Flickr

These two are my favourites for the topic but its split the family! My son and I prefer the second, and my daughter and my partner prefer the first.

52ers. Its for you to decide :D

Week 4 - Sweet 2 by The_Oakster, on Flickr

Week 4 - Sweet 1 by The_Oakster, on Flickr

Last edited:
First for me, the flowers in front of her face take me away from a lovely smile on the second one

Grr Liz! Thats not helping me win the argument is it!!

;)

Thanks for looking :D

Thanks for looking :)

I know that if it wasn't for the flowers over her mouth it would have been a closer call but it's that final attention to detail I fail on every time. That should change in 48 weeks time I hope!

Back