The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Thanks ;) Believe it or not that's from yesterday's wedding. It was somewhat epic. Even before the Guitar Hero.

We all know the new firmware's out, right?

Just installed it and done 10 seconds of "testing" with the 60mm. The difference in AF speed is astonishing.

Note
(1) you'll need to upgrade your lens(es) too
(2) the upgrade will delete ALL camera settings. Yes, I've mentioned to Fuji how annoying this is.

Oh and hello Zeiss. I think I know what I want for Christmas.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/zei...me-lenses-for-the-sony-nex-and-fuji-x-system/

Hellooo,

I had a chance to have a good play with an X-Pro recently and also take away an SD card with some pictures. Now, it was in a shop so had to play with ISO in not ideal conditions.

My question is, has anyone else compared to a 5D2 on what were your thoughts?

Hellooo,

I had a chance to have a good play with an X-Pro recently and also take away an SD card with some pictures. Now, it was in a shop so had to play with ISO in not ideal conditions.

Several examples on DPReview - answer it holds up pretty well - detail not far off and DR probably better with no banding in deep shadows. I can only compare with D700, but even there the high ISO noise is pretty close and highlight recovery better.

It really does compare with FF cameras, at least previous generation ones.

Has anyone upgraded from a Fuji S5 pro?

What are your thoughts on trading in my system inc. 50mm 1.4 & 17-55 2.8 Nikon lenses to get the x-pro? I have a x-100 too

X-Pro 1 SOOC black and whites continue to suck....

2012-09-23_001.jpg

BTW firmware v2 is niiiiiiice. If you haven't done it yet then upgrade right away. It's like Fuji listened ;)

Several examples on DPReview - answer it holds up pretty well - detail not far off and DR probably better with no banding in deep shadows. I can only compare with D700, but even there the high ISO noise is pretty close and highlight recovery better.

It really does compare with FF cameras, at least previous generation ones.

I dunno. I keep flicking on and off. It is a nice sized camera but in manual it didn't seem as intuitive on the controls but I suppose that's just me being used to one camera. I did find (on a none scientific test) that when I zoomed in the same amount I could start to see pixel edges earlier on the fuji images as opposed to the 5D2. There's a lot to love on the 5D2 and one thing is for sure. If I ever change it will have to tick all the boxes and is sure to be my last change............:LOL:

Just looking at an ISO 3,200 shot from the weekend on the new firmware. It's pretty nice TBH.

ISO 6400 isn't too bad either! This was taken with the Fuji 35mm at f/1.6, 1/250s, ISO 6400, manual focus and the v2.0 firmware in place.

I know some people complain about the raws, but I process mine through Lightroom 4 and they look fine to me even compared with the JPGs.

Wedding harpist by DigitalRelish, on Flickr

I bolted my X-Pro 1 to a Nikon 70-200 VR yesterday.

Let's just say it was interesting.

I'll get some pics up later.

Keep us posted Jonathan - I see I can use my Canon lenses too with the right adapter

You might want to read up on that. I remember seeing in the Speedgraphic catalogue that only one kind of Canon lens could be adapted - maybe EF? Don't know too much about Canons.

So anyway, I got a Nikon to X-Pro 1 adapter. Mainly because I was vexed that there won't be a pro level portrait lens any time soon. It arrived just as I was about to head out to the beach so I grabbed the 70-200 and bolted them together.

Things to know

1. VR won't work (that's REALLY obvious if you think about it but I thought I'd mention it
  2. You will really want firmware v2 - to focus accuratelyyou'll want to zoom in and the 10X zoom is hilarious and frustrating with a 300mm effective lens
  3. Do not under any circumstances try this on a blustery day on the beach - the lens hood catches the wind and the X-Pro 1 doesn't give you enough grip to stop it moving. Most of my pictures are only sharp enough for web
  4. I'd be VERY wary about carry the camera with the lens in place over my shoulder - it's about 5X as heavy as the heaviest lens supported by the mount and I didn't want to stress it - I carried the lens with the camera attached
  5. Auto ISO is utterly useless since it thinks 1/30 is a decent shutter speed
  6. Adjusting the aperture is a very tricky procedure - and doesn't seem quite right. I got massive lurches in shutter speed with tiny movements. On the up side all pics seemed decently exposed and I could see the effects of exposure comp in the EVF
  7. You get some very odd looks….

Couple of quick pics....

groynes.jpg

nets.jpg

kite_surf.jpg

All probably around 200mm f2.8 - f4 ish.

Currently experimenting with the 105 DC on the X-Pro 1 which seems very nice.

Hellooo,

As a former 5D2 owner (3 years and for the most part loved every minute of the 2 x 5D2's i owned) - i can assure you the X-Pro 1 IQ holds up extremely well to the 5D2, if not matching it. ISO quality is no worse - and in some cases may be better.

A/F (with firmware v2) is still no where near as fast as a 5D2, nor is the write speed - but the accuracy of the A/F is far superior in every respect. So that really is a horses for courses choice you have to make. At the time of writing i have just tried the X-Pro 1 out at my grand daughters 8th birthday and i have to concede it is not the best camera for recording a bunch of 8 year olds running around like they're on steroids. But that really is the only down side i can make about this camera compared to the 5D2.

I suppose i should also comment on the lens choice to go with the camera. Yes, Canon has a far greater range of lenses, but how many do you actually use? I've got the 35mm and 60mm - and will get the 14mm or 12mm when released - but other than those, i don't really need anything else.

Menu and controls are much simpler to use and conveniently located over the 5D2, once you get used to them.

As for size and convenience - and the ability to point a camera in the general direction of children without being accosted with varying accusations along the lines of 'pervert' - i don't know why - but the public seem more than willing to let you point an X-Pro 1 at them than a 5D2. I don't understand it either :wacky:

If you're not into sports and action photography, the X-Pro 1 is an excellent choice of camera.

As a former 5D2 owner (3 years and for the most part loved every minute of the 2 x 5D2's i owned) - i can assure you the X-Pro 1 IQ holds up extremely well to the 5D2, if not matching it. ISO quality is no worse - and in some cases may be better.

I've had a 5D2 for a while and love it. I was planning to get a mk3 but was deeply unimpressed with the build quality when I went for a quick play in a local store (same with a Nikon 800). On the way out I picked up an X-pro1 and fell in lust. I've been using a borrowed one for the weekend and took it out with my 5D2 and my son for a quick and (very) dirty comparison. I did these for my benefit, not really intending to post but given the question was asked...

So, these shots are all RAW processed at defaults though Lightroom 4, no adjustments except as noted below, then a default sharpen for jpeg conversion. My 5D2 had a Canon 50/1.4 lens mounted and the Fuji had a 35/1.4 (more or less 50/1.4 equivalent).

These shots are not directly comparable as I am a moron. I mixed iso settings and since I took other shots mixed between these I also mixed exposure compensation. I've tried to restore parity with Lightroom exposure adjustments to approximately match histograms. Not possible to do this exactly as lighting conditions were changing, so take all this with a pinch of salt.

1. Fuji (iso400, f1.4 1/2700)
8038862115_071a4eaaa3_c.jpg

2. Canon (iso200, f1.4 1/2500)
8038860747_1f2d977105_c.jpg

3. Fuji (iso200, f1.4 1/500 exposure adjusted in LR -1)
8038862645_1766dfb39c_c.jpg

4. Canon (iso200, f1.4 1/1600)
8038865230_19592f98c1_c.jpg

5. Fuji (iso200, f2.8 1/200 exp adj -0.75)
8038863011_9299d73b93_c.jpg

6. Canon (iso200, f2.8 1/500)
8038861713_f3c40dfd31_c.jpg

What do I conclude? Beyond the fact that both cameras perform perfectly well and that there is little to choose between them, the only thing I know for sure is that I should pay a little bit more attention to my settings before trying these comparisons!

Last edited:
As I posted on FB earlier today....

Dear Fuji,

Please just make this.

Love from,
Everybody who has ever used both these things.

fuji_nikon.jpg

I'm seriously giving this camera some consideration... I currently own the X10 and love it to bits but it's just not quite good enough (if that makes sense).

I'm quite taken with the fact that I'll be able to use my old Olympus OM primes on this but I'm trying to decide whether I can justify having one when I already own a 5DMKIII.

Decisions, decisions... :shrug:

I bought one of these for the old lady and she has taken some cracking shots with it using the 35mm that came with it..............going to get her the 60mm next week and hopefully that will be long enough to get some nice panning shots at the Moto GP in Sepang

Got a hand grip for mine today, feels pretty good but there was a short sharp pain in my wallet :/

I picked mine up yesterday with the 60mm lens, and am now waiting for my free 35mm lens from those nice people at Fuji, compliments of their amazing offer!

I updated the firmware in both body and lens, which was easy, and can't see the focusing speed being a problem to me and my style of shooting - if I need faster, I will use the Nikon. Horses for courses and all that!

david357 said:
I picked mine up yesterday with the 60mm lens, and am now waiting for my free 35mm lens from those nice people at Fuji, compliments of their amazing offer!

I updated the firmware in both body and lens, which was easy, and can't see the focusing speed being a problem to me and my style of shooting - if I need faster, I will use the Nikon. Horses for courses and all that!

What offer was this lol

Available on cameras purchased between 1st and 31st |October, and claim must be made by 14th November.

Buy a Fuji X-Pro1 with any one of the 18mm, 35mm, 60mm, or 18-55mm lens, and claim either the 18mm or 35mm lens free.

Oh btw, when I got my hand grip today I asked about the released dates on the new lenses. Apparently the dates have been put back to early next year.

The 14mm list price will be about £799 :eek:

Do you have to buy it from the Fuji website? If not where is the cheapest place to but the x-pro1?

The link I posted has a link to a list of approved suppliers, there are quite a lot.

So I think the cheapest would be amazon hmmm should I do it? I sold all my nikon stuff, and bought a x100 but I like to change my focal length. Will this be better than the x-e1? but then again with the free lens it will still be just as cheap.

Ah well, I finally succumbed. After seeing the offer then having another long play my new Fuji X-Pro should be in on my hands middle of the week.

I also looked back at some pics I took when I first had a chance to play with the camera. Not knowing anything about the settings I had just put into S, Av and manual modes and snapped away. I looked again at the pictures and properties. Couldn't believe it when I saw that most were at ISO6400!! Absolute stunning results.

Well I just bought a x-pro1 and 18mm from amazon and will claim the free lens :) hope it's as good as people say.

I've had 3 plays with it totalling about 45 mins.

1st time: don't like feel or controls. Nah, stick with what I have.
2nd time: like feel, don't understand controls. Images in poor light with high ISO look great.
3rd time: this could be a lot of fun.

I think to get the most I can see a lot of evenings spent getting used to all its features.

Just back from a week in Sicily. Took the X-Pro 1 (and 3 lenses) and X10. Entire kit was less than 3 kilos - which is nice in 30 degree heat.

On the whole - very happy with how they performed. X10 was a little annoying to use with the X-Pro 1 as I got a number of blurry shots :( (My fault but the X-Pro 1 made me do it...).

But yeah - pretty nice tourist combo :)

Well, I am now in possession of a shiny new X-Pro and 60mm lens. I feel a lot of manual reading and playing is in order.

Amazing service from the guys at Fuji with their free lens offer!

I bought the camera with 60mm lens last week, posted the application form and proof of purchase on Thursday, and my shiny new 35mm lens arrived this morning. (.....and it's lovely.)

Back