The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

I could resist no longer and now have my first legacy lens for the XPro and X-M1. From the nice people at Ffordes comes a new old stock Rollei 50mm f1.8 HFT Plannar by Zeiss.
Here are some quick pics taken as soon as it arrived.

Misty by trickletreat, on Flickr

Focussing was reasonably easy using peaking and zoomed in. Metering was hit and miss, so will have to think about a custom profile. I set the camera to speed priority, no lens, manual focus and auto iso. Any advice re setup for legacy lens usage will be gratefully received. It used to be easy with K5.

Nigel

I've just had to send off my x-pro1 for repair as the hotshot is not working, it's still under warranty but it's how long will it be away that's the question.

Luckily I still have some Canon gear to keep me going but it's not "slip in your pocket" size.

Luckily I still have some Canon gear to keep me going but it's not "slip in your pocket" size.
thats why you owe it to yourself to buy an x100s ;) I bought one from the refurb store last month, it's a gem of a camera, loving it !

I've got to praise MPB again, got a phone call to apologise for the fault and offer me the option of having it fixed by Fuji or a replacement. The replacement arrives tomorrow.

Great customer service.

Red price specials are back, refurb X-Pro1 £250 before Paypal discount.. ..

Christ thats cheap @ £225 with discount. The XP2 must be released soon?

Damn those refurb XP1's are cheap!! £225, almost tempted to pick up a second, so I don't have to keep swapping lenses between 23/56.

But Im wondering if its really worth putting the money into what I guess could be classed as old tech now. What are peoples thoughts, I was on the verge of getting a refurb XT1 till I just saw this.

Do you find it limits you? There are plenty of reviews between the two on the net and lots of 'versus' but i don't have any experience of the x-pro.

My plan was to add an x-e2 to my x-t1 for the same reason as you... I end up changing lenses about 20 times through out the day and it will only be a matter of time before i drop everything or some dust/filth gets on the sensor. Or someone nicks it whilst I'm faffing around with caps and the like in a busy environment.

Sorry disregard that last post, it only seems to work for cameras not lenses.

Do you find it limits you? There are plenty of reviews between the two on the net and lots of 'versus' but i don't have any experience of the x-pro.

My plan was to add an x-e2 to my x-t1 for the same reason as you... I end up changing lenses about 20 times through out the day and it will only be a matter of time before i drop everything or some dust/filth gets on the sensor. Or someone nicks it whilst I'm faffing around with caps and the like in a busy environment.

I wouldn't say limits me, but there are some features that would really help my neck and back, for example the floppy screen. I miss that a but from when I had my OMD previous to the fuji. I wouldn't say other than that it limits me as such, but, getting an XE-2 like you mention or an XT1 like I said also gives you the latest fuji sensor and processing engine and especially in the T1 case great manual focus system etc and wifi and whatever............

But at £224.10 with the discount code for the pro1 a refurb Xt1 is over double........Its a tough one.

I've eluded to the fact before that the xpro doesn't appeal. It's quite big and weighty. The xt1 is a beautiful piece of equipment but i have never tried an xpro in real world use to compare. It is a massive difference in price.

Just went in and bought the X Pro 1, I hadn't seen this thread until now but went with Fuji refurb, and got the discount. I was considering some others but couldn't resist at that price, I'd been looking around but that is the cheapest I've ever seen.
Hope I won't be disappointed, the X100 was probably my favourite camera closely followed by the XE-1 with the 35mm f1.4. Think I'm gonna have to pick another 35mm up, anyone know what a good price for one is these days? Sold my old one on here for £270 nearly a year back.

It's incredible how little the x-pro go's for. OK, it's not the fastest of cameras, it's not got all the bells and whistles and it's nowhere near the best in the Fuji X line up but it's still one hell of a camera and I'm really looking forward to the X-Pro 2.

If the rumours are to be believed, it will be out by the end of the year let's hope they're true :)

If the rumours were true it would have been out in 2013..

If it's not released by the end of the year Alastair, I'll eat my hat... ok my hat is small and made of chocolate, but I'll eat it anyway ;)

It's incredible how little the x-pro go's for. OK, it's not the fastest of cameras, it's not got all the bells and whistles and it's nowhere near the best in the Fuji X line up but it's still one hell of a camera and I'm really looking forward to the X-Pro 2.

If the rumours are to be believed, it will be out by the end of the year let's hope they're true :)

Nowhere near? ;) What would you say is better?

Nowhere near? ;) What would you say is better?

The XT-1 is a much better cam , the XE2 is a great bit of kit and if you forget about the viewfinder, the XM-1 is just as good if not better and that;s an entry level camera.

The XT-1 is a much better cam , the XE2 is a great bit of kit and if you forget about the viewfinder, the XM-1 is just as good if not better and that;s an entry level camera.

Fair point! Never tried the XT-1 or XE-2 :) I personally didnt get on with the XM-1; it felt a bit toy like. It made me realise how important a viewfinder is to me too. Couldnt argue with the image quality but I like feel too and it lacked it to me.

Fair point! Never tried the XT-1 or XE-2 :) I personally didnt get on with the XM-1; it felt a bit toy like. It made me realise how important a viewfinder is to me too. Couldnt argue with the image quality but I like feel too and it lacked it to me.

I did say forget about the viewfinder ;) The X-M1 has tilt screen, wi-fi and you can use an intervalometer for long exposures instead of a cable release and watching the timer.

On that point, how bloody difficult would it be for Fuji to write this into the firmware, they have a delay so a settable timer in bulb mode would be a walk in the park and it would make up for not connecting up the usb port!

Just bought myself one of these, couldn't resist for under £230 posted. I've not read all the thread but is there a decent thumb grip out that covers whats needed and doesnt cost the earth?

I've got a Match Technical thumb grip for my -Pro1 which isn't cheap, and a Neewer version for my -E2 which is less than half the price if the Match Technical (shop around for anything made by Neewer as you'll frequently find exactly the same item advertised at £25 and £105 - I've seen this with the thumb grips and the Arca compatible frames). They both fit, they both do the job. I've just tried switching the Neewer grip into the -Pro1 and it fits well and gives access to all the dials. But it's not quite as ergonomic as the Match Technical - the "proper" grip comes a bit further over to the right. But unless you'd tried both or built up a muscle memory for the Match Technical I doubt you'd notice.

Still a big fan of the x pro. It has slowed me down and made me think a bit more about the shots I am taking.

Only downside no good for the sports photography that I also like to do.

X pro 2 will be early next year I think. Fuji at the Photo Show gave me good info last year and this year on product releases so I trust their judgements. I have to say the Fuji stand was v good and v supportive.

Still a big fan of the x pro. It has slowed me down and made me think a bit more about the shots I am taking.

Only downside no good for the sports photography that I also like to do.

X pro 2 will be early next year I think. Fuji at the Photo Show gave me good info last year and this year on product releases so I trust their judgements. I have to say the Fuji stand was v good and v supportive.

Damn, I hope not... that's my favourite chocolate hat!

View attachment 34643

23mm 1.4 1/220 iso 200

Last edited:
Hi
Really thinking of getting one of these for travel and general use - as can't be bothered to lug around a DSLR most of the time - the ones on the refurb store look appealing in terms of price. Little bit confused about whether it would be cheaper overall to get a brand new kit from somewhere like Wex or go through the refurb store and get a/some different lenses. The kist seem to come with the 18 and 27mm lenses.
I'm also looking at the 35mm.
What's the general consensus here?
Cheers

Depends what lenses you want, the 18mm and 27mm are both nice but they represent the two smallest primes in the line-up (for now, excluding the Japan only lens cap fixed aperture pancake) and whether you'd want both of them is a question you'd need to ask yourself. Generally they're both seen as the compact lens in the bag solution when you want a pocketable camera to take on a walk (admittedly you need fairly big pockets with the X-Pro1).

Are you a prime or a zoom shooter?

(and my recommendation is that if you're looking for a compact travel/general purpose camera give serious consideration to the X-E2 - it's a significantly improved camera and slightly smaller than the X-Pro1 for not a lot more in the refurb store. And the pattern with refurbs has been that the X-E2 follows the price drops of the -Pro1 with a 2-4 week lag)

Back