The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

See the FW pages, it explains everything. Update before you play with it. Its better updated.

Thanks Twist. Just checked, and I have v2.1
Time to upgrade.

Sorry to be a pain, but do I do the body first, then the lens?
I've downloaded both.
And do I need to do anything else?
Sorry for the questions.

OK, both done. Time to start fiddling.
Thanks for the help on my first FW update.

Ian, what do you think of the EF42? I see you did some shots of Ali that look decent.

It is fine and I'm on the lookout for another used copy. I use it on manual, triggered with Cactus V radio triggers which seems to work reliably. I might also use it on camera as a bounce flash though to be honest I am not really a flash person. But given I will typically use it in manual mode I might as well pick up an old Nikon flash (SB24 or similar) or a Yongnou (or however you spell it). The EF42 is very plasticy and expensive for what it is.

I read it was overpriced, I think Ill also use manual mode most so will look for something else, as you say Yongnuo or perhaps a Metz, they do some nice small flashes.

Hurrah! It's charged !
Gotta go now, new toy to play with.
No doubt I'll be back in a mo.
I was on a shoot when mine arrived today - the wife sent me a lovely text though: "Your new camera is here - you're not! Ha Ha!" Battery charging, then it'll be firmware update time and away we go! :)

I did the upgrade after I had set date and time etc. had to redo them afterwards.
I absolutely love the feel and layout of the camera. It is a totally different way than my Nikon gear so it will take a bit of getting used to.
Looking forward to taking a few test shots tomorrow to compare settings.
I have set it up the same as in the PDF posted by Twist as a starting point.
Exciting times.

I never bothered with the manual, thats half the fun, the PDF I posted for you has a lot of useful tips though for settings once its charged, start downloading your FW updates.
Where can I find the PDF?

Where can I find the PDF?

I think it's a sample to the guide available as a Kindle book on Amazon. My only query is whether the author is providing revisions that will update Kindle books already bought when a new firmware is released, or whether a new edition must be bought to get firmware related update notes.

Edit:
This is theRico Pfirstinger page on Amazon, see how unclear it is about updates?

Last edited:
As already said, that PDF, along with countless other blogs etc is a good starting point.
I'm sure as my knowledge and familiarity increase I'll start doing my own experimentation but first I just wanted to have a basic setup to get going with.

As I am finding, each answer raises 2 more questions.

I'd go back to WEX and ask to go onto the waiting list using your credit note as a deposit (no reason why they shouldn't do that). You've then got three weeks to see if they give you a definite time-scale, to see if your Nikon sells and to decide whether or not you want to pay everything up-front to get a paid invoice with the right date on it. If WEX can't get an estimated get a delivery date from Fuji within three weeks, or if that estimate is too late to qualify for the free lens offer - then WEX should be happy to let you do what you want with the deposit (switch it to another purchase). And you're no worse off than you are now holding a credit note that limits you to a purchase from WEX.

I did see that WEX had three X Pro1 bodies in the used camera display case last week. No good if you want the free lens deal though.

Thanks Alastair, I have taken your advise and reserved a X-Pro 1 with the credit note I have. They are hoping to have deliveries next week.

MPB & Wex have also given me a fair price on my D7000 & lens so I am covered for the purchase if they don't sell on here.

Next, lens decisions: I will have the 18mm lens with the body and I was thinking of getting the 60mm Macro, but I am also listening to what people have to say about the 35mm lens. I have no experience of using primes and I was wondering would the 18mm be good enough for a general walkabout lens or is the 35mm more suited. I like the idea of the 60mm for the Macro.

My main use for the camera and lens would be taking pics of my puppy, some seascape, and using the camera at the football (Swans) I need a prime to keep size down. I was thinking of using the Macro as we back onto woods and we get a lot of wildlife in the garden.
I could look to purchase the 16-50 lens for general use, one went on the bay last night for £100.00.

The reason I am changing to this system is, I have nerve damage to hands and left shoulder and I cant use a P&S for the football and general walkabout as I find them to small. My credit note is for the X20 I sent back last week (to small) and I am looking to combine the XP1 instead of the DSLR and small camera, for ease of use for myself.

Any advice on the above will be greatly appreciated. And I look forward to contributing further to this thread when camera arrives, I have bookmarked the links on previous pages to help to understand the camera and settings.

Last edited:
Thanks Alastair, I have taken your advise and reserved a X-Pro 1 with the credit note I have. They are hoping to have deliveries next week.

MPB & Wex have also given me a fair price on my D7000 & lens so I am covered for the purchase if they don't sell on here.

Next, lens decisions: I will have the 18mm lens with the body and I was thinking of getting the 60mm Macro, but I am also listening to what people have to say about the 35mm lens. I have no experience of using primes and I was wondering would the 18mm be good enough for a general walkabout lens or is the 35mm more suited. I like the idea of the 60mm for the Macro.

My main use for the camera and lens would be taking pics of my puppy, some seascape, and using the camera at the football (Swans) I need a prime to keep size down. I was thinking of using the Macro as we back onto woods and we get a lot of wildlife in the garden.
I could look to purchase the 16-50 lens for general use, one went on the bay last night for £100.00.

The reason I am changing to this system is, I have nerve damage to hands and left shoulder and I cant use a P&S for the football and general walkabout as I find them to small. My credit note is for the X20 I sent back last week (to small) and I am looking to combine the XP1 instead of the DSLR and small camera, for ease of use for myself.

Any advice on the above will be greatly appreciated. And I look forward to contributing further to this thread when camera arrives, I have bookmarked the links on previous pages to help to understand the camera and settings.

You have used the Nikon so should know more or less the differences between 18mm and 35mm in terms of focal length? Do you shoot wide when walking around or do you shoot standard length more. The lenses arent really going to cope with football, they are to short, the only zoom lens is the 55-200.

If I were you Id set my current Nikon gear to the focal lengths of the Fuji lenses then decide which lenses to buy. You sound like you want to cover all your bases, only way to do that well is to buy lots of primes OR buy the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm. (Around £750 for both used). Your 18mm will fetch £220-250 and your 60mm will fetch £300, add a bit and youll have enough for both zooms.

Last edited:
You have used the Nikon so should know more or less the differences between 18mm and 35mm in terms of focal length? Do you shoot wide when walking around or do you shoot standard length more. The lenses arent really going to cope with football, they are to short, the only zoom lens is the 55-200.

If I were you Id set my current Nikon gear to the focal lengths of the Fuji lenses then decide which lenses to buy. You sound like you want to cover all your bases, only way to do that well is to buy lots of primes OR buy the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm. (Around £750 for both used). Your 18mm will fetch £220-250 and your 60mm will fetch £300, add a bit and youll have enough for both zooms.

Thanks Twist for the reply.

I have only used a 28-85 & 28-75 (short lenses) on my body, so I am un-sure how the 18mm would work out. As for the football, I was thinking of using the prime (18 or 35) and possibly cropping???, they won't let you in or use zooms on professional equipment (thats what they said for my D7000 with 28-85) at Premier League grounds. I would presume it would be the same with XP1 ??????

Your probably right, I am trying to cover as many bases as possible, but with a limited budget for the time being. As I am disabled I want to try and make the right decision now, as if the XP1 doesn't work out this will be probably my last go at trying photography. I probably need to try the primes first as it will help with keeping the weight down for me, but my concern is that there is no VR in primes. Decisions, decisions!!!

Thanks Twist for the reply.

I have only used a 28-85 & 28-75 (short lenses) on my body, so I am un-sure how the 18mm would work out. As for the football, I was thinking of using the prime (18 or 35) and possibly cropping???, they won't let you in or use zooms on professional equipment (thats what they said for my D7000 with 28-85) at Premier League grounds. I would presume it would be the same with XP1 ??????

Your probably right, I am trying to cover as many bases as possible, but with a limited budget for the time being. As I am disabled I want to try and make the right decision now, as if the XP1 doesn't work out this will be probably my last go at trying photography. I probably need to try the primes first as it will help with keeping the weight down for me, but my concern is that there is no VR in primes. Decisions, decisions!!!

Did you use the zooms mostly at 28mm and wish they were wider when walking around?

You are going to be making some MASSIVE crops with those lenses, may as well have bought a cheap small bridge camera as quality is going to be very poor. Im not familiar with football ground rules with regards camera size.

The zooms arent huge or heavy and have IS, imo your best bet. You mentioned keeping the 18 and 35 and getting a 16-50, no point as your overlapping with a poorer quality lens and paying for it. By the time youve done that youre £100 short of a 18-55 and 55-200 and far better off.

It may have been a good idea to also look at a Canon G1X. Decent size, decent sensor, okay zoom for walkabout. Only mid size camera I can think of at the moment with a large sensor.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ca...ras/compact-cameras/canon-g1-x-1063587/review

Last edited:
Did you use the zooms mostly at 28mm and wish they were wider when walking around?

You are going to be making some MASSIVE crops with those lenses, may as well have bought a cheap small bridge camera as quality is going to be very poor. Im not familiar with football ground rules with regards camera size.

The zooms arent huge or heavy and have IS, imo your best bet. You mentioned keeping the 18 and 35 and getting a 16-50, no point as your overlapping with a poorer quality lens and paying for it. By the time youve done that youre £100 short of a 18-55 and 55-200 and far better off.

It may have been a good idea to also look at a Canon G1X. Decent size, decent sensor, okay zoom for walkabout. Only mid size camera I can think of at the moment with a large sensor.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ca...ras/compact-cameras/canon-g1-x-1063587/review

Again thanks for the advice. I looked at the G1X last year and it didn't feel comfortable to hold.

For info, I am ambulant disabled ( I can walk small distances ). And I have had Subacromial Decompression operations to both shoulders and I have nerve damage to both index fingers along with nerve damage to left shoulder from mentioned operations. These problems give issues holding and stabilising cameras, thats why I am looking to change to a lighter system. I also tried a XE-1 last year and I found that small to hold.

I think for my immediate use I will try the 18mm and 60mm Macro and see how I get on. The 18mm will be better than the 28-85 I have currently got, especially when we go to the coast which is near us. Currently my wife walks the dog and I take general photos from car or bench if weather is nice.

If the primes don't work out I will sell and buy the zoom lens. I will also start saving for the relevant zooms to add to kit

As for the football the SWMBO has said we will buy a compact for her to use and start learning photography along with me.

Last edited:
If you found the XE1 to small the Xpro1 is better in that regard. Its quite a bit chunkier.

Sounds like a good idea.

For info, I am ambulant disabled ( I can walk small distances ). And I have had Subacromial Decompression operations to both shoulders and I have nerve damage to both index fingers along with nerve damage to left shoulder from mentioned operations. These problems give issues holding and stabilising cameras, thats why I am looking to change to a lighter system. I also tried a XE-1 last year and I found that small to hold.

I don't know if this will help you but I find the grip on the X-Pro 1 makes it a lot more comfortable in the hand. It's expensive for a badly designed bit of metal (you have to remove it to change battery or card....) but it give the camera a far better shape for holding.

There's supposed to be a new grip "soon" that will be better designed. And probably more expensive.

Good shout Jonathan, the grip made my old xe1 feel so much better, dont think ill need it on the pro but may be good for the OP.

Thanks for the idea on the grip.

Have you got the original Fuji or an aftermarket? If aftermarket what one have you bought and any links.

Also, I just wanted to say thanks for all the help and advice you people have given me. I just hope it all works out for me with this camera and I can continue the photography hobby. It's a long day when your home all day.

The Fuji would not be considered a pro so I should b ok there.

I am next to the exit aisle at the front and the Stewards are right next to me, some can be right jobsworths. When I last took the DSLR they wouldn't let me use it for reasons previously mentioned. I tried to move seats to the concourse area of the ground as there less stewards around but the stadium is all sold out for disabled seats.

We will buy a P&S, but I will try the Fuji at next home game with the prime.

So far I have the 18mm and the 35mm, and I'll be ordering the 60mm as the free lens. I was shooting 90% of my shots with my 40D using a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 so the 35mm for the Fuji was the obvious lens for me. I find that focal length around 30mm to be a perfect walkabout lens on an APS-C camera. You may want one of the longer zooms eventually given what you've described, you should get a decent price for the 18mm if you choose to sell it and put the proceeds towards a zoom. There are some cracking shots posted taken using the 55-200mm.

My slight frustration with Fuji is the lack of a prime in the 80-135mm range. The 10% of shots I wasn't taking at 30mm were either using a 105mm prome or with my kit lens set to 85mm. I'll have to make do with a converters and manual lenses for now. I have a basic one on order, maybe I'll pick-up a t/s or speed booster adapter later. I have a couple of very good Zeiss 135mm lenses I'd like to try on the Fuji - the usual CZJ 135/3.5 Sonnar in m42, and also the even better CZ 135/4 HFT Teletessar in a QBM fitting.

I'll have to make do with a converters and manual lenses for now. I have a basic one on order, maybe I'll pick-up a t/s or speed booster adapter later. I have a couple of very good Zeiss 135mm lenses I'd like to try on the Fuji - the usual CZJ 135/3.5 Sonnar in m42, and also the even better CZ 135/4 HFT Teletessar in a QBM fitting.

Given that I gave up photography in the pre-AF era because I could manually focus well enough I find I get on surprisingly well with MF lenses. I've some 50mm lenses I like a lot and a 135mm Jupiter, both really easy to use on a cheapo adapter or a Kipon tilt adapter (latest straight 135mm sample http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/thames-barrier.524044/). The Sonnar should be lovely, let alone the Teletessar.

Simon - You'll find the iQ is that good using the lenses that you can crop the image quite aggressively and still retain a good shot, I frequently do 50% crops and even larger when shooting birds so you should be sorted for the footy.

The grip makes a huge difference for handling but it might be worth waiting for the new grip with the cut out for the battery compartment to arrive as it will make life easier for you.

I would grab the 35mm later when you can as its a fantastic lens, personally it would be my go to lens if I could get out and about.

To be honest I've found the X-Pro1 to be just about the perfect camera for me with my disabilities, light, easy to handle, great manual controls that are easy to use and of course fantastic image quality.

Back