The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

My 56mm arrived yesterday. I couldn't get pics of my cats so had to be content with some of my daughter. All at f1.2, raw, through Lightroom, some WB and exposure corrections, and my default sharpening:

12946030454_ae55b9a5ef_o.jpg

12946026534_469e9658f0_o.jpg

12946028454_110ee1372b_o.jpg

My 56mm arrived yesterday. I couldn't get pics of my cats so had to be content with some of my daughter. All at f1.2, raw, through Lightroom, some WB and exposure corrections, and my default sharpening:

12946030454_ae55b9a5ef_o.jpg

12946026534_469e9658f0_o.jpg

12946028454_110ee1372b_o.jpg

Nice. Shame about the cats. I got lucky, it was asleep. :D

Yes, my cat was asleep too but is jet black so not so appealing when its eyes are closed. I had to bribe my daughter by telling her the "secret" cost of the 56mm which she promptly blurted out to her mother, so now I am in trouble...

Yes, my cat was asleep too but is jet black so not so appealing when its eyes are closed. I had to bribe my daughter by telling her the "secret" cost of the 56mm which she promptly blurted out to her mother, so now I am in trouble...

As long as you never said I had anything to do with it.

You may get to keep the cat if you are lucky :)

Those images are really good, they look really sharp. I haven't seen the 56mm for sale anywhere. Can I ask where you got it from?

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

You may get to keep the cat if you are lucky :)

Those images are really good, they look really sharp. I haven't seen the 56mm for sale anywhere. Can I ask where you got it from?

The cat is the first thing to go if I get my way! I got the lens from Panamoz - ordered Friday, arrived Tuesday which wasn't bad.

I think the lens is sharp but the depth of field is pretty narrow so a few of my first shots were out of focus (eyebrows in focus rather than eyes etc). I think I will have to get used to moving the focus point rather than my usual focus and recompose method. I sharpened these with +40ish in LR which is a touch less than I usually use. I don't know whether this is anything meaningful or just random based on these shots. In a day or two I might be tempted to close the lens down below f1.2 but for the moment it is stuck there!

When my son gets back I will do my standard test shots of him in the doorway that I do with almost all new lenses so I will be able to compare across Canon lenses and the Fuji 60 macro

The cat is the first thing to go if I get my way! I got the lens from Panamoz - ordered Friday, arrived Tuesday which wasn't bad.

I think the lens is sharp but the depth of field is pretty narrow so a few of my first shots were out of focus (eyebrows in focus rather than eyes etc). I think I will have to get used to moving the focus point rather than my usual focus and recompose method. I sharpened these with +40ish in LR which is a touch less than I usually use. I don't know whether this is anything meaningful or just random based on these shots. In a day or two I might be tempted to close the lens down below f1.2 but for the moment it is stuck there!

When my son gets back I will do my standard test shots of him in the doorway that I do with almost all new lenses so I will be able to compare across Canon lenses and the Fuji 60 macro

I'd be very interested in the results between the 60 and the 56, If you could do some at the same aperture that would be great. And even better if you can hop while taking the 56mm shots, that way I may save some pennies.

I buy fast lenses and leave them wide open permanently or theres not much point, I paid a lot for the privilege. Looking forward to the samples IF you post them.

Ive done my usual human volunteer eyelash test and its insanely sharp wide open. Cant wait to take some proper shots.

I'd be very interested in the results between the 60 and the 56, If you could do some at the same aperture that would be great. And even better if you can hop while taking the 56mm shots, that way I may save some pennies.

Just get it ordered, its inevitable.

Thats a great price from Panamoz,and extras charges ? :)

Will do. Of course the light will be different but I'll try to get them close enough to be of use.

One thing I like about the 56mm is that the fall off to the out of focus areas is very nice. With the Canon 85/1.2 on full frame the fall-off was exceptionally rapid. You get a very nice 3D pop effect but it does look a little unnatural at times. I preferred the 50/1.4. With the Fuji 56mm I get the best of both - the longer focal length that I prefer but as the lens is a 58mm the fall-off is more like my Canon 50mm. At the moment I am very happy

Whats AF speed like between XP1 and XE2 in low light, I find the X100s the same as the XP1 in low light. So cant imagine the XE2 will be any better in this regard.

It is a bit better,but to honest i never had much problems with XP1 after the updates :)

It is a bit better,but to honest i never had much problems with XP1 after the updates :)

Thats what Im thinking, with the updates its great and as I suspected the phase detect pixels dont do much in lower light, in good light they do help though. Thanks for confirming, think Ill give it a miss, would lose to much I like about the XP1 for it to be worthwhile, especially now Im using the large Fuji lenses.

I can't be the only one to think along these lines.. so..

A quick warning about the 60mm and step-up filter rings

With the 18mm and 35mm having the same filter thread, I thought I'd get a step-up ring to allow screw-in filters bought for these lenses to be used on the 60mm. Be aware that the front element of the 60mm retracts into the body when the camera is off or enters stand-by mode. So you can only fit the step-up when the camera is on and you must take it off. If the camera goes into standby the step-up fouls the retraction of the front element and you get a "switch the camera off and on again" on-screen error.

I suspect the solution is to buy a cheap u/v filter for the 60mm and knock the glass out. That should provide enough of a stand-off to clear the lens barrel.

A very imperfect comparison of the Fuji 56/1.2 and the Canon 85/1.2. Two shots of the same person several years apart in different light but in more or less the same position:

12952520513_76f918de37_o.jpg

12953206753_6989afd151_o.jpg

Fuji first (1/80, f1.2, iso500 on an XE1) then Canon (1/60, f1.2, iso 400 on a 5D2)

Hi, only got my X Pro1 yesterday, so still feeling my way around, and about to ask a couple of silly questions. ;) I watched this video on setting up custom settings,
and set mine up similarly to his. All set up without any problems, but have just downloaded the latest updates (3.2?) and seem unable to set up auto ISO and auto DR, they are not available. Probably something stupid that I'm missing, but thought I'm sure the learned gentry here will be able to put me wise! Anyone any idea where I'm going wrong?
Thanks

Hi, only got my X Pro1 yesterday, so still feeling my way around, and about to ask a couple of silly questions. ;) I watched this video on setting up custom settings,
and set mine up similarly to his. All set up without any problems, but have just downloaded the latest updates (3.2?) and seem unable to set up auto ISO and auto DR, they are not available. Probably something stupid that I'm missing, but thought I'm sure the learned gentry here will be able to put me wise! Anyone any idea where I'm going wrong?
Thanks

I havent watched video, I have used the settings recomended on this thread. You always lose settings on Firmware updates.

I am running the same firmware and I can change DR through scroll wheel and ISO. Try setting them using the main menu and not the Q button, (in ISO make sure you go to bottom as it defaults to ISO 200, I think??). Then re-try using scroll wheel and Q button for alterations.

Last edited:
I havent watched video, I have used the settings recomended on this thread. You always lose settings on Firmware updates.

I am running the same firmware and I can change DR through scroll wheel and ISO. Try setting them using the main menu and not the Q button, (in ISO make sure you go to bottom as it defaults to ISO 200, I think??). Then re-try using scroll wheel and Q button for alterations.

Cheers,still having a play! As I said, only updated to 3.2 this evening and when trying the camera, the lens seems to be chattering before locking onto focus, pretty sure it wasn't as bad previously. My wife, who knows zilch about cameras, commented, "That camera makes a funny noise, not like your Canon!" :mad:

Have you tried reinstalling the firmware on both the body and lens, just to see if it might have an effect?
If it doesn't make a difference, then might be worth speaking to Fuji about it, see what they can suggest or know about it, and a future update to resolve it is being worked on.

A very imperfect comparison of the Fuji 56/1.2 and the Canon 85/1.2. Two shots of the same person several years apart in different light but in more or less the same position:

12952520513_76f918de37_o.jpg

12953206753_6989afd151_o.jpg

Fuji first (1/80, f1.2, iso500 on an XE1) then Canon (1/60, f1.2, iso 400 on a 5D2)

Nice shots,they do grow up quick :)

No extras - declared on the invoice as camera gear, delivered by Fedex. I was a bit confused as it came wrapped in a whole roll of bubble wrap so was the size of a small car.
Ian, did you pay using their BACS facility or debit card?

That is a cracking price not to be missed!

Anybody want a mint boxed 60mm? ;)

I paid by BACS, no problems. I had planned to wait until the retail price fell or until refurbs come in but their new price was more or less what I expected to pay and I could get the lens new. Seemed too good to miss.

Yes please, i'll give you what I'll be giving Fuji... ;)

Ian, did you pay using their BACS facility or debit card?

That is a cracking price not to be missed!

Anybody want a mint boxed 60mm? ;)
Using BACS you can get the X-T1 for under £900. This is a UK company with UK stock and not grey imports I take it?

EDIT: They are a Hong Kong company according to reviews.

Last edited:
Using BACS you can get the X-T1 for under £900. This is a UK company with UK stock and not grey imports I take it?

Absolutely not, HK trader with grey stock, you'd never get UK stock at that price.

Back