The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Thank All it was a good day out.

I went for Black Far less noticeable, I like to merge.......

Just been taking a few photos out and about and at home, with the X10. Been shooting on RAW, now to convert them. I only have the Silkypix that came with the camera, I don't even know where to start :thinking:

Just been taking a few photos out and about and at home, with the X10. Been shooting on RAW, now to convert them. I only have the Silkypix that came with the camera, I don't even know where to start :thinking:

It is certainly doable. Howevr silkypix is both difficult to understand and hard to use. But it gives very good results.
Any recent version of photoshop or elements or lightroom is far easier.

looks like you have a fairly steep learning curve in front of you. So good luck.....

Two really "Excellent" sets of images Terry @Terrywoodenpic . Glad you're liking your new X30 they're a cracking bit of kit.(y)

George.

Last edited:
Any suggestions for a bag (not case) for the X30 please - bit enough to carry camera with lens hood fitted, specs, wallet and phone?

Thanks,
AL

It is certainly doable. Howevr silkypix is both difficult to understand and hard to use. But it gives very good results.
Any recent version of photoshop or elements or lightroom is far easier.

looks like you have a fairly steep learning curve in front of you. So good luck.....

If I do use Sillypix I will have no idea it is what I am doing, so looks a little tricky to be getting consistent results :thinking:
If desperate, you can also convert RAW to JPEG in-camera.
Will also have a look at that option.

Oh well off to the dark room, or it's digital equivalent :)

If I do use Sillypix I will have no idea it is what I am doing, so looks a little tricky to be getting consistent results :thinking:

Will also have a look at that option.

Oh well off to the dark room, or it's digital equivalent :)

The main problem with silkypix is that every control works differently to all other raw processors. So even photoshop "experts" are Flummoxed, and out of their comfort zone.
Starting in as a new boy, from scratch, does not put you in much of a disadvantage. Like most things computer just dive in and see what happens...It will be an experience anyway.
I have had zero instruction in any computer stuff. But learnt though doing...when I started out there was almost no one to ask about anything.
But I was expected to "computerise" my department and every thing we did... that was how it went right up to retirement...it is no different now.

Last edited:
The main problem with silkypix is that every control works differently to all other raw processors. So even photoshop "experts" are Flummoxed, and out of their comfort zone.
Starting in as a new boy, from scratch, does not put you in much of a disadvantage. Like most things computer just dive in and see what happens...It will be an experience anyway.
I have had zero instruction in any computer stuff. But learnt though doing...when I started out there was almost no one to ask about anything.
But I was expected to "computerise" my department and every thing we did... that was how it went right up to retirement...it is no different now.
Just converted a couple of images using Silkypix, and the results varied. It's a case of moving sliders and drop down menus with things such as, Standard Colour, Memory colour1, 2,3 Film colour V1,V2,P,A,K etc, and loads more setting. No idea what some relate to.

Well it's digital, and I am not wasting any film so I will plod on and see what I end up with ;)

Just converted a couple of images using Silkypix, and the results varied. It's a case of moving sliders and drop down menus with things such as, Standard Colour, Memory colour1, 2,3 Film colour V1,V2,P,A,K etc, and loads more setting. No idea what some relate to.

Well it's digital, and I am not wasting any film so I will plod on and see what I end up with ;)

Welcome to the club
"That's the way to do it"

Just finished dabbling in converting RAW files from the X10, I used the Silkypix converter that came with the camera. The results that I managed, not knowing what I was doing, were ok ish but nothing special. I also tried a free trial of photoshop, again using it not knowing what I was doing. Results I got from photoshop were pretty good, I liked the way images stood out ( I think people call it pop ) . So if I can figure out, how to make the colours pop in silkypix, if not looks like I will have to buy photoshop.

Last edited:
Lightroom is a far more affordable way of converting your RAWs, and it catalogues your images.
I only edit them in Photoshop when I need to do something complicated (usually exposure blending). It's not 'that' complicated, I could probably manage just fine with GIMP (free image editing).

Lightroom is a far more affordable way of converting your RAWs, and it catalogues your images.
I only edit them in Photoshop when I need to do something complicated (usually exposure blending). It's not 'that' complicated, I could probably manage just fine with GIMP (free image editing).
I will have a look at those you mentioned also :)

Just wondering I know the Fuji X20 and X3O have identical sensors but has anyone who owned both seen any difference in quality of photos. I am thinking maybe with processing / firmware difference if any ?

I downloaded trial versions of both lightroom and photoshop, and I tried converting RAW images from the X10 along with Silkypix. After hours and hours of tweaking images using the three converters, I did not manage to get much of an improvement over SOOC Jpegs. In some cases the images looked worse, probably because I don't know what I am really doing! What I would like to do, is get certain colours to pop a little more. Such as greenery, and reds in flowers etc. Don't think you can do that function in camera, as vivid simply makes everything saturated.

I'm afraid that is easy to answer....
For the X10, the Adobe RAW converters don't do as good a job as the Fuji ones (in camera or Silkypix).
If you read back through this thread you will find a lot of X10 users only take JPEGs as the straight out of the camera results are so good.
Auto white balance on the X10 is excellent and way better than my big Canons, so rarely need to correct; so no real advantage in taking RAW for this.

My personal preference on the X10 was to take RAW mainly because the shadow recovery is something rather special and very useful.
But occasionally I'd get an image with the wrong shade of blue sky and the Adobe RAW converters couldn't do it justice.
Other than that annoying wibble, the X10 RAWs result in very neutral tones which are a great start to post processing; but aren't anything as like as vibrant as and appealing as JPEGs straight out the camera.

It comes down to what you want to do and what your preferred workflow is.
Try learning how to get the best out of JPEGs, you may like it and decide to stick with them.

For the X10, the Adobe RAW converters don't do as good a job as the Fuji ones (in camera or Silkypix).
If you read back through this thread you will find a lot of X10 users only take JPEGs as the straight out of the camera results are so good.
Auto white balance on the X10 is excellent and way better than my big Canons, so rarely need to correct; so no real advantage in taking RAW for this.

My personal preference on the X10 was to take RAW mainly because the shadow recovery is something rather special and very useful.
But occasionally I'd get an image with the wrong shade of blue sky and the Adobe RAW converters couldn't do it justice.
Other than that annoying wibble, the X10 RAWs result in very neutral tones which are a great start to post processing; but aren't anything as like as vibrant as and appealing as JPEGs straight out the camera.

Try learning how to get the best out of JPEGs, you may like it and decide to stick with them.

Very true.. However Adobe have never gone any further in working on the raw processor for the X10, so it will always be something of an orphan.

Just wondering I know the Fuji X20 and X3O have identical sensors but has anyone who owned both seen any difference in quality of photos. I am thinking maybe with processing / firmware difference if any ?

It is actually very hard to know if they are absolutely identical sensors. they are from the same family, that is true, but it is unlikely that neither Sony nor Fuji have made any changes to it in all this time. The camera firmware is certainly different, as is the raw processor developed by Adobe now that they are working closely with Fuji.

The most obvious change is in how the sensor/ firmware combination, handles Movies. which is a vast improvement over the X20, but still some way from being the best in its class, but at least it is now very usable.

The sensor/ firmware changes, certainly in regard to raw files, seems to be a noticeable improvement when using Adobe, with improved recovery of both highlights and shadows.
As these things work in tandem it is not possible to tie down where the various improvements come from. However it is clear that the whole "Package " on the X30 is better than on the X20. ( as is the focusing and the viewfinder)

I would suggest that it is inevitable that Sony have made some small changes to the sensor that they supply for Fuji to mount their unique filter array onto.

Thank you Terry - that is very helpful.

I am just about ready to buy an X30 (have it in basket at DigitalRev) but now I have seen the Sony A5000 at a good price :facepalm:

I need to stop looking around but the A5000 also seems like a very capable camera BUT it has no viewfinder and I think macro work is limited with the kit lens. Suppose its just how good it is in low light :thinking:

I have just started a thread in the equipment forum for peoples opinions

Last edited:
Thank you Terry - that is very helpful.

I am just about ready to buy an X30 (have it in basket at DigitalRev) but now I have seen the Sony A5000 at a good price :facepalm:

I need to stop looking around but the A5000 also seems like a very capable camera BUT it has no viewfinder and I think macro work is limited with the kit lens. Suppose its just how good it is in low light :thinking:

No viewfinder and very ugly with a lens attached. The only thing to recommend it might be the sensor size which may or may not give better low light performance, as it has rather slow lenses, so you are forced to use higher ISO settings. not my cup of tea at all.

No viewfinder and very ugly with a lens attached. The only thing to recommend it might be the sensor size which may or may not give better low light performance, as it has rather slow lenses, so you are forced to use higher ISO settings. not my cup of tea at all.

Yeah I see that to..... I reckon its the Fuji X30 for me

X30 is pretty darned good in low light.
Combination of a decent aperture, outstanding OIS and usable images from ISO 800 can result in shots from a room lit by a single candle.
Here's some examples I posted a couple of pages back.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...0-xf1-xq1-thread.499399/page-264#post-6965753

There are limits though...
In festival dance venues, even my big camera struggles at f1.4 and ISO 25600; X30 is not much use in there! :eek:

Thanks for the info (y)

I suppose the only benefit of RAW with the X10 then is exposure, and film simulation :)

Film simulation is JPEG only.
There's very little reason to shoot RAW on the X10 apart from shadow and highlight recovery; and the DR modes seem to do a pretty good job of that too!
I always shot RAW, but I got the feeling I was in the minority.

If you do decide to shoot RAW, make sure the Auto DR function doesn't end up raising the ISO without your knowledge.
Note: This applies to all the X## models. My X30 is set to DR100 to make sure this doesn't happen.

X30 is pretty darned good in low light.
Combination of a decent aperture, outstanding OIS and usable images from ISO 800 can result in shots from a room lit by a single candle.
Here's some examples I posted a couple of pages back.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...0-xf1-xq1-thread.499399/page-264#post-6965753

There are limits though...
In festival dance venues, even my big camera struggles at f1.4 and ISO 25600; X30 is not much use in there! :eek:

Yes those are great examples that show how good it is. I suppose I am just wanting to make sure before I buy as digitalrev have a 15% restocking fee if I open box and it looks like I could not return at all if I tried the camera

There's very little reason to shoot RAW on the X10 apart from shadow and highlight recovery; and the DR modes seem to do a pretty good job of that too!

If you do decide to shoot RAW, make sure the Auto DR function doesn't end up raising the ISO without your knowledge.
Note: This applies to all the X## models. My X30 is set to DR100 to make sure this doesn't happen.

Photoshop now offers Raw film simulation for X20 and X30 in the processor, so you can now have it, as shot, or as an alternative choice when processing. However I am not sure if it works with the x10 but it might????

I always shoot with colour set to standard now, as I know I can change my mind later.

Last edited:
Maybe this story will help make your mind up about the X30 :)
Tomorrow I'm off photographing another 'step in stone' arts trail installation day.
The images will be used for publicity by both the event and the artistes. It's a big deal for Somerset and some of the artistes are internationally known; the images have to be top quality.
I'll only be taking the X30 plus a big aperture telephoto on the DSLR; either the 135 f2 or 100-400, not made my mind up yet.
I've absolutely no worry that the X30 images will be good enough.

Here's a link to an A4 poster for the event - the main image was taken on the X30. It looks flippin brilliant printed large! :)
https://www.facebook.com/9580155408...015540879369/1091433454204243/?type=1&theater
The fairies are modified ants and the brief was to capture a photo showing them emerging into the quarry landscape.
The shot was hand-held in super-macro, aperture priority mode to force a decent depth of field, auto everything else.

Thanks for that Duncan, just thought it may have been better tweaking exposure comp, and film simulation etc at RAW stage. Also would have been nice to pop certain colours, but as you say Jpeg is already pretty good.

Photoshop now offers Raw film simulation for X20 and X30 in the processor, so you can now have it, as shot, or as an alternative choice when processing. However I am not sure if it works with the x10 but it might????

I always shoot with colour set to standard now, as I know I can change my mind later.

The version of Silkypix I have also does film simulation, as it saves changing settings on the move. The other day, I shot a couple of the missus, then walked to the park. Took a couple of the street, then ended up shooting in the park. Raw saved me having to change three times, I know it's not that big a deal. But it's handy at computer stage, when one may have been better than the other. Converted indoor person to Astia, street to Provia, and park to vivid.

Well I've bitten the bullet and should get my X30 tomorrow. I've gone for the silver version. Unfortunatey WEX had run out of the free silver hood/filter kit but are sending me a black version. I think it might look better ......................

AL

Maybe this story will help make your mind up about the X30 :)
Tomorrow I'm off photographing another 'step in stone' arts trail installation day.
The images will be used for publicity by both the event and the artistes. It's a big deal for Somerset and some of the artistes are internationally known; the images have to be top quality.
I'll only be taking the X30 plus a big aperture telephoto on the DSLR; either the 135 f2 or 100-400, not made my mind up yet.
I've absolutely no worry that the X30 images will be good enough.

Here's a link to an A4 poster for the event - the main image was taken on the X30. It looks flippin brilliant printed large! :)
https://www.facebook.com/9580155408...015540879369/1091433454204243/?type=1&theater
The fairies are modified ants and the brief was to capture a photo showing them emerging into the quarry landscape.
The shot was hand-held in super-macro, aperture priority mode to force a decent depth of field, auto everything else.

thank you

You are a good advocate of the camera and with the photos to back it up to and your photos are one of the reasons I am SO TEMPTED I just want to make sure I make the right choice

LOL - actually I believe any camera is what you make of it, not how good the camera is.
But the X30 has helped me rather than put up a fight.
For the money I reckon there still isn't much better around.

Very well said, of course its the person behind the camera but having gear that 'works well' and as you put so well "Doesn't put up a fight" makes the world of difference and life a lot easier

Back