The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Yeah I have not used the sony but I heard was awful to use.

There is a rumour that the Fuji X40 will be coming fairly soon (this year) and might have the sony RX sensor as Fuji have bought the sensor from Sony. So a Fuji X40 usability and controls with a Sony RX sensor - Nice !!!

As long as it has a viewfinder.... I do not like camera with no viewfinder no matter how big its sensor is.

I will add that the X30 is a lovely camera to use and produces superb photos BUT its not a camera for really low light but saying that I did use my X20 in low light with good results.

If you fancy an X20 look at the X30 instead its a LOT better to use and I am sure its produces better photos even though its the same sensor. I got mine from DigitalRev for £250 delivered

Last edited:
Pretty much what i found. Technically better quality, but you fight with the camera to get it.
The sums up my experience of Sony cameras over the years! I keep looking at the A7 range and wondering, but then remember the hideous menu system on the NEX and the fact I hated using the thing!

It depends what you want really.....

I also looked at them both before I bought the X30 and the Sony has its strengths like a big sensor so its great in low light and the photos are larger so there is scope to crop into photos BUT the big turn off for me was the fact the sony has no viewfinder (it has in the later models) and the macro is not any way near as good as the Fuji which I like to use. Also I understand the Sony is not as nice to use and the menus are bad to use

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think I would definitely prefer the Fuji handling as Ive used Fuji cameras previously. Think it just comes down to if the slightly better IQ is worth sacrificing the menu controls. Ive been lookling at the x30 also, but might be out of budget at the minute.

One more thing is the battery..... On the X20 its terrible and you WILL need a spare.... Not sure about Sony but X30 is so much better and I have hardly charged it since I got it

As usual there is a lot of chatter about what the next version (X40) might contain. Of course they have always used sony sensors with their own designed and made filter arrays. I expect no different next time around. The question might be to use a 1inch sensor or not. That always leads to a further compromise of focal range and aperture. The Sony RX with 1inch sensor, has gone for a shorter wide angle zoom as aginst the Fuji more normal longer range. I personally find the Fuji zoom range ideal. But it would either have to be a much larger lens on a one inch, or have a reduced maximum aperture, or perhaps both, to keep the size with in bounds.
as the present sized sensor and pixel count can produce excellent prints at larger sizes than I will ever need, i am not much bothered to increase either the size or count. However technical improvements to the existing size might well be advantageous.
I would however love another button to split the present ael/afl functions to their own buttons. So as to be able to back button both focus and exposure.

Last edited:
OK - an update

I have managed to get the PC transfer software working - and it works great

I had been using the WPS button on the router as suggested in the instructions and it connected and found the camera etc but when I tried to transfer the photos nothing happened. I looked at firewall etc but nothing helped so I looked at the router and it detected the connection but would not allow it. So that got me thinking and I wondered if the camera somehow lost the connection information - the key if you like so to allow the router to let the camera through.

So I thought if I entered the information manually it would be remembered better and - Voila

Use the manual set up as described in the instructions and enter the router key into the camera and it works every time :)

One more thing is the battery..... On the X20 its terrible and you WILL need a spare.... Not sure about Sony but X30 is so much better and I have hardly charged it since I got it

Thanks, thats good to know. Good battery life makes a difference for me.

So which of our local little furry things was this? I have a short list of suspects....
No particular artistic merit, just an excuse to use the X30.

q3mog1.jpg

q3mog2.jpg

Nooo!
Just getting my kit together for a trip away and thought I'd charge the spare battery in-camera.
Put it in and turned on to check the battery state, nothing - presumed completely flat as I haven't used it for a while.
Charging lead in - no charging light - Hmmm
Original battery back in - still dead - Uh Oh.....
Can't coax any sign of life out of it at the mo.

Looks like my X30 is going to be taking a holiday.
Unfortunately means I'm going to have to take the big camera with me on my trip :(

Where are you headed, Duncan? If passing Exeter, you could borrow my X30 battery. Although on a rereading of your post, it sounds like the X30 might be ill not the battery. I'm assuming you've tried other leads?

Still a nice clean sharp photo (shame about the car) I think the birds thought it was a VW and were getting their own back for years of damaging the environment and lying about it
Nothing avian about those splodges, John. Those are muddy feline paw prints. And it is a VW, sort of. It even has the same number in its name as the sole (so far) implicated Audi.

I can lend you an XF1.
LOL - everything I've read about them would indicate an XF1 won't stand the abuse I give my cameras.
First thing tomorrow my X30 is going back to my local camera shop with a request to expedite a fix.
I know dealing with Fuji direct is straightforward, but right now I haven't got time; thank goodness I've got a top-notch local camera shop :)

Cheers Nod - I'm pretty certain it isn't the battery.
I used the X30 a couple of mins before it died to take a photo of a cave survey from a book so I could print and laminate it to take with me. Worked a treat; I'd only recently charged that battery and loads of power left.
Swapped the battery - dead ever since.
Something happened when I swapped the battery.
Will report back when I know more...

Is there some kind of reset on the X30.... Maybe a combination of buttons while turning it on ??
Except it won't turn on...
Will have a read of the manual and see if I can find something.

For general amusement, here's a description of last night's caving trip posted elsewhere.
Remember I said I wanted to push myself :)

The trip included the most committing squeeze I've undertaken.
The descent from Kentish's Cairn to the start of the Upper Traverse in Eastwater.
Mendip Underground describes it as 'a crawl below a boulder leads to a steep, very tight and awkward entrenched bedding plane'.
Any route that starts with a wreath and memorial is going to be 'interesting'...
I was first to descend the rift to the start of the Upper Traverse and at the crux my chest was pinned with the tightest bit still squeezing my bottom rib. I had my ankle in a space just big enough to be able to turn my foot over, but I wasn't sure if the space was big enough for my body, or just a shoulder blade; couldn't move my head.
Opted to push on. If it had been the latter I'd have been well and truly jammed and getting back up would have been a nightmare.
It worked out OK, but flippin heck my fears were working overtime.
No camera with me, not even the GoPro; it wasn't that sort of trip :)

Don't suppose there could be a bit of dirt or something in the battery chamber?

You have probably looked at the Troubleshooting page of the manual but just in case:

Power and Battery

Problem
Solution
The camera does not turn on.
The zoom ring (ON/OFF switch) is not correctly rotated: Rotate the zoom ring to [OFF] and then rotate the zoom ring again to the point between 28 and 112.

The battery is exhausted: Charge the battery or insert a fully-charged spare battery.

The battery is inserted incorrectly: Reinsert in the correct orientation.

The battery-chamber cover is not latched: Latch the battery-chamber cover.

The camera was turned on immediately after having been turned off: Press the shutter button halfway.

The battery runs down quickly.
The battery is cold: Warm the battery by placing it in a pocket or other warm place and reinsert it in the camera immediately before taking a picture.

There is dirt on the battery terminals: Clean the terminals with a soft, dry cloth.

[HIGH PERFORMANCE] is selected for [POWER MANAGEMENT]: Select [POWER SAVE] to reduce the drain on the battery.

icn_ff32-s2_20.gif
is selected for shooting mode: Select
icn_ff80-b2_20.gif
mode to reduce the drain on the battery.

[TRACKING] is selected for [AF MODE]: Select a different AF mode

[C] is selected for focus mode: Select a different focus mode.

The battery has been charged many times: The battery has reached the end of its charging life. Purchase a new battery.

The camera turns off suddenly.
The zoom ring (ON/OFF switch) is not correctly rotated: Rotate the zoom ring to [OFF] and then rotate the zoom ring again to the point between 28 and 112.

The battery is exhausted: Charge the battery or insert a fully-charged spare battery.

The camera has entered sleep mode: Press the shutter button halfway.

Well thank goodness for my local camera shop with their experienced staff :)
My X30 lives (sort of)...

To my complete shock, he took the battery out, placed it in a universal charger/tester they have, confirmed it was full, then put it back in the camera.
And the X30 came to life!

Apparently this is a problem they occasionally see with batteries that have chips in them and affects all brands including Canon and Nikon.
Something made the battery unhappy, so it tells the camera it is dead and the camera doesn't bother powering up.
Putting the battery in a universal charger resets the batteries flag.

I said sort of because I got home, plugged the charger into the camera and I now have a dead camera again :(
Looks like either the charger is causing the problem or something in the X30 recharging circuitry.
I'm going to need something to kick the battery so I can do some more tests to work out where the fault lies.
But at least I know the X30 ought to be able to be brought back to life.
Will keep you updated.

@Al1944 Yup - that was my thought too :)
When I get the X30 wet I do take the battery out, open all the doors, extend the lens and leave it in the airing cupboard for a few days. But it's not going to help the life expectancy of the camera...

Would an external battery charger sort out your woes?

Camera shop should have sold you one ;)

Would an external battery charger sort out your woes?

Camera shop should have sold you one ;)
I have never used the internal charger on mine. I charge all my batteries on a universal charger, seems safer to me.

Thanks John. Here's another view. I love black and white but not everyone's cup of tea I know.

21675009616_3e4c609801_b.jpg

Managed to get some of the sky back with this one!

21694715932_891c5237d4_b.jpg

Last edited:
No I also love black & white and some photos like yours really suits it. Another really good photo... I like them

Was that done in camera (X30) or photoshop ?

Last edited:
I suppose we should have some cat pictures occasionally. This is Thomas, the house-mate and bully of two of the likely bonnet-tramplers. I'm pretty sure it wasn't him as he's almost too fat to get through the cat flap! These are straight from the X30 in P mode with just a crop and resize.

fatcat1.jpg

fatcat2.jpg

Great shots..... We have a cat called William. Well he is from next door but basically lives at ours and next door always come here when they are looking for him

Similar thing here - next-door-but-one is actually round the corner and their garden backs onto ours. They have four rescue cats that just don't get on, of which Thomas is the newest, largest and most aggressive. They're all lovely cats individually but a complete failure as a group. I took the pics of Fatso (Thomas) when we fed them yesterday morning. Today is the last session, thankfully, as it's a slow process having to make a fuss of them and listen to their complaints as well as fill their bowls.....

Yes that is very true the X30 battery life is excellent and I have also not used my spare
Best practice is to rotate them so they get equal use. I have a lot of spares for my RX10 and always carry two as the battery life is so poor. They're all numbered on the base so I know which to use next.

I usually use the USB method to charge the X30. I keep it topped up so I have a couple of hundred shots worth of charge if needed. No spare battery and on the rare occasions I do use an external charger, it's a universal one.

Back