The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

This is the JPEG straight out of camera - I quite like it!

20707739884_f684a19a67_b.jpg

Yes that is better... I like that, nice rich colours

ISO high or low, contrasty scene or one that is relatively normal ?
I guess I'm asking if you want a RAW that shows the X10 to it's best, or one that pushes it quite hard but still produces usable results.
For example I can offer a RAW that was shot in conditions so dark I couldn't actually see if the group were in the image (they weren't), but the internet pic from it looks great. Ditto with a high contrast scene showing the X10's stellar shadow recovery.

Edited to add - this was pretty much the last image I took on my X10.
ISO 800, 1/15s and a faulty IS that appears to have been working in this shot.
Still one of my favourite caving images despite only using on camera flash.
Looks a bit ropey when pixel peeping but will produce an exhibition quality A4 print no bother at all.
More than happy to share this RAW :)
DSCF3191-M.jpg

Last edited:
ISO high or low, contrasty scene or one that is relatively normal ?
I guess I'm asking if you want a RAW that shows the X10 to it's best, or one that pushes it quite hard but still produces usable results.
For example I can offer a RAW that was shot in conditions so dark I couldn't actually see if the group were in the image (they weren't), but the internet pic from it looks great. Ditto with a high contrast scene showing the X10's stellar shadow recovery.

Edited to add - this was pretty much the last image I took on my X10.
ISO 800, 1/15s and a faulty IS that appears to have been working in this shot.
Still one of my favourite caving images despite only using on camera flash.
Looks a bit ropey when pixel peeping but will produce an exhibition quality A4 print no bother at all.
More than happy to share this RAW :)
DSCF3191-M.jpg

Don't mind what type of scene etc pal any would do! If you could email a RAW two over or something that would be smashing :)

Don't mind what type of scene etc pal any would do! If you could email a RAW two over or something that would be smashing :)
Here's a selection of four RAW files, only one of them hits the X10's sweet spot (ISO 100, f4), so you should have plenty of opportunity to see what they look like under a wide range of use.
I'm happy to leave the RAWs up there for at least a month for people to download and play with.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xxh8pvgmmmtji7a/AACsKp-3_sGkGXWOX0YQmGewa?dl=0

The usual caveat applies - DON'T PIXEL PEEP
X10 RAW files don't great look viewed at 100%, that's normal - but ISO 800 will produce a cracking A4 print and ISO 200 is easily capable of producing an exhibition quality A3 print.
If in doubt, do the print and comment on anything you can spot in the print; don't worry, it will look fine :)

For those who have upgraded to the X20/X30 - there's not a great difference in image quality; the same rules of thumb regards printing still seem to apply.
There is slightly more lens flare than the X10 which I attribute to the vastly superior IS, but apart from that....
For example, I'm just entering a caving photo salon and one of my X30 images has made the final cut; rest of the eight images are from the 5DIII.
ISO 800, 1/10s, hand-held, spray everywhere and a darned cold photographer. This image looks amazing printed to A4.
DSCF3176-L.jpg

Here's a selection of four RAW files, only one of them hits the X10's sweet spot (ISO 100, f4), so you should have plenty of opportunity to see what they look like under a wide range of use.
I'm happy to leave the RAWs up there for at least a month for people to download and play with.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xxh8pvgmmmtji7a/AACsKp-3_sGkGXWOX0YQmGewa?dl=0

The usual caveat applies - DON'T PIXEL PEEP
X10 RAW files don't great look viewed at 100%, that's normal - but ISO 800 will produce a cracking A4 print and ISO 200 is easily capable of producing an exhibition quality A3 print.
If in doubt, do the print and comment on anything you can spot in the print; don't worry, it will look fine :)

For those who have upgraded to the X20/X30 - there's not a great difference in image quality; the same rules of thumb regards printing still seem to apply.
There is slightly more lens flare than the X10 which I attribute to the vastly superior IS, but apart from that....
For example, I'm just entering a caving photo salon and one of my X30 images has made the final cut; rest of the eight images are from the 5DIII.
ISO 800, 1/10s, hand-held, spray everywhere and a darned cold photographer. This image looks amazing printed to A4.
DSCF3176-L.jpg

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for taking the time to put some images together for me to take a look at, be intresting to play with the shadows etc. just on the phone at the moment will check them out on the computer tomorrow morning :)

Interesting to hear also ISO 100, f/4 is the sweetspot for the camera, all good knowledge to learn from someone with great knowledge in the field with these series of cameras.

When you say the RAW's don't look good at 100% Is that because of the small sensor not producing the pixel quality etc.or the fact the RAW's need slightly sharpening compared to the JPEG's Say?

That shot you have posted looks spot on, I can imagine it looks great printed :)

Thanks again! :)

When you say the RAW's don't look good at 100% Is that because of the small sensor not producing the pixel quality etc.or the fact the RAW's need slightly sharpening compared to the JPEG's Say?
It's not that...
Viewed at 100% the weird XTRANS sensor layout looks kinda painterly; it doesn't have the biting pixel level clarity you get from a conventional sensor.
If you enjoy pixel peeping then it will be an uncomfortable experience.
It took me quite a long time to stop pixel peeping and trust that the results will give me the images I expect when either printed or downsampled.

It's not that...
Viewed at 100% the weird XTRANS sensor layout looks kinda painterly; it doesn't have the biting pixel level clarity you get from a conventional sensor.
If you enjoy pixel peeping then it will be an uncomfortable experience.
It took me quite a long time to stop pixel peeping and trust that the results will give me the images I expect when either printed or downsampled.

Just having a look at the shots now and see what you mean, as you say pixel peeping doesn't give the best experience but just having a look around at around 25-30% the files look really nice. As you said before the Shadow recovery in all fairness is pretty damn good, think its nearly about time I parted with my money and got one :p

Just having a look at the shots now and see what you mean, as you say pixel peeping doesn't give the best experience but just having a look around at around 25-30% the files look really nice. As you said before the Shadow recovery in all fairness is pretty damn good, think its nearly about time I parted with my money and got one :p
Been abusing my little Fuji's for years and the image quality has always been fine.
I've never had the slightest worry about the images being being up-to-par, even from 'paid for' work where I'm submitting images from both the little Fuji X10/X30 and the 5DII / 5DIII, even though the DSLR images are significantly higher image quality.

IMHO the biggest mistake with the little Fuji's is trying to take too much control.
It's how I drive my DSLR and the same techniques don't get the best from the little cameras.
99% of my images I just leave the the Fuji in P mode (P for Professional) and let it get on with it.
Nice thing about the X30 is that the viewfinder removes the guesswork for exposure compensation. I find I can't rely on the rear screen as my perception is influenced by the ambient light. Using the viewfinder, the X30 nails the shot every single time :)

Last edited:
Been abusing my little Fuji's for years and the image quality has always been fine.
I've never had the slightest worry about the images being being up-to-par, even from 'paid for' work where I'm submitting images from both the little Fuji X10/X30 and the 5DII / 5DIII, even though the DSLR images are significantly higher image quality.

IMHO the biggest mistake with the little Fuji's is trying to take too much control.
It's how I drive my DSLR and the same techniques don't get the best from the little cameras.
99% of my images I just leave the the Fuji in P mode (P for Professional) and let it get on with it.
Nice thing about the X30 is that the viewfinder removes the guesswork for exposure compensation. I find I can't rely on the rear screen as my perception is influenced by the ambient light. Using the viewfinder, the X30 nails the shot every single time :)

You know what I am now realising that to, when I first got the X20 ( now gone ) and then the X30 I was using them like my DSLR on aperture priority and I was struggling a bit to get what I wanted and also did not trust the camera when it choose F2 as I thought it was to wide for a small camera and would be soft..... Totally wrong F2 is very sharp and I am now happy to let the camera do all the work on P or SR+ mode. Plus that is exactly the reason I got the camera, to be a more simply experience and different from my day job (wedding photographer) and it works really well and is a total joy to use

You know what I am now realising that to, when I first got the X20 ( now gone ) and then the X30 I was using them like my DSLR on aperture priority and I was struggling a bit to get what I wanted and also did not trust the camera when it choose F2 as I thought it was to wide for a small camera and would be soft..... Totally wrong F2 is very sharp and I am now happy to let the camera do all the work on P or SR+ mode. Plus that is exactly the reason I got the camera, to be a more simply experience and different from my day job (wedding photographer) and it works really well and is a total joy to use
I'm still in the aperture priority stage.... i'll give P a shot, never used it on any camera.

I use P mode all the time on my X10; can't be a****d changing aperture and shutter speed on little dials on the back of cameras!

A snap from the weekend :)
Team photo for the Locals v Cavers cricket match on the village green.
It's not at all serious; a good excuse for a BBQ, beer and banter.
The locals always win - the village has a cricket team and knows how to play; caving is a non-competitive sport so they feel like :exit:
The green does not make a good venue; ground is like a ploughed field so the ball bounces any way it wants and a softball has to be used as active roads form all three boundaries.
The cricket is highly entertaining; not at all the yawn-fest you might expect :)
20150913-141900-DSCF8264-M.jpg

I use P mode all the time on my X10; can't be a****d changing aperture and shutter speed on little dials on the back of cameras!

Well for me its nice to have the little dials if needed but to just use P mode or even SR+ mode is a nice change from my day job (wedding's)

Well for me its nice to have the little dials if needed but to just use P mode or even SR+ mode is a nice change from my day job (wedding's)

I mostly use ancient manual focus film cameras, so the X10 is a nice change for me, too. But (perhaps unlike many people who have got used to DSLRs, which I don't have) I found the little dials and menu button presses far too fiddly. P mode seems to work very well; as you say the ability to fine tune occasionally is useful, but mostly it does a great job, leaving me to concentrate on framing, composition and making sure the focus is right.

I'm a huge believer in P mode and use it almost all the time on all my cameras. Allows the user to set any aperture or shutter speed they like and keeps the exposure as correct as the camera's meter can get it, just like A or S (Av or Tv for Cannoneers!) does. Need a dose of exposure compensation? Still works in P mode, just like all the other automatic modes (which include the aforementioned A and S modes).

The X30 did well last night.
Talus IV in White Pit - This chamber was very hard to light and I had to lean on the ability to pull shadows quite heavily.

This is only about half the passage; I need a lot more lights if I want to get this shot with the formations going off into the distance.
20150916-204839-DSCF8319-M.jpg

When the digging team gets bored waiting for the skip to be loaded...
20150916-210249-DSCF8334-M.jpg

A close up of some of the formations
20150916-202940-DSCF8278-M.jpg

Castle Square, Swansea. A really miserable looking place now. There used to be gardens there years ago and they dug them up for this!

20868242533_7ce908ede4_b.jpg

This is how it used to look!!! Not my pic.

Castle%20Gdns.jpg

Last edited:
Managed to find out how to sort out converging verticals in Lightroom for these, so time not altogether wasted ;)

Yesterday I was out taking promo shots for the 'step in stone' arts trail.
I used a 100-400 lens on the DSLR and everything else was taken on the X30.
Image quality is important to them, but as I've said before, the little X30 punches well above it's weight :)

Here's a shot of Art Music in action.
There's a nice feel to this shot; I'm very happy with it.
The trumpet sounded amazing in the quarry acoustics.
Yes they did bring fake rocks to a quarry - I've no idea - it's art :thinking:
20150917-132826-DSCF8419-L.jpg

Castle Square, Swansea. A really miserable looking place now. There used to be gardens there years ago and they dug them up for this!

20868242533_7ce908ede4_b.jpg

This is how it used to look!!! Not my pic.

Castle%20Gdns.jpg

Nice Set Al.

Swansea Council for you, they have basically messed up the Center with things like this and the Kingsway IMO. I read recently they are going to stop the bendy buses, the amount of money they have spent on them and the changes to the highwyas are rediculous. Never see more than a dozen people on them!

This is a bit different - I submit photos to stock sites so thought I would photograph my breakfast today

Quite impressed with the X30 as this was on ISO 800 - straight out of the camera resized for forum

Breakfast.jpg

Just wondering if anyone has used both the X20 and Sony RX100MK1. They are both compacts I am looking at. X20 is cheaper. Just wondering if the RX100 is worth the extra over it?

Nice Set Al.

Swansea Council for you, they have basically messed up the Center with things like this and the Kingsway IMO. I read recently they are going to stop the bendy buses, the amount of money they have spent on them and the changes to the highwyas are rediculous. Never see more than a dozen people on them!

Thanks Simon. Yes, gone downhill steadily over the years. The bendy buses have gone over the past few weeks thankfully.

AL

Just wondering if anyone has used both the X20 and Sony RX100MK1. They are both compacts I am looking at. X20 is cheaper. Just wondering if the RX100 is worth the extra over it?

It depends what you want really.....

I also looked at them both before I bought the X30 and the Sony has its strengths like a big sensor so its great in low light and the photos are larger so there is scope to crop into photos BUT the big turn off for me was the fact the sony has no viewfinder (it has in the later models) and the macro is not any way near as good as the Fuji which I like to use. Also I understand the Sony is not as nice to use and the menus are bad to use

It depends what you want really.....

I also looked at them both before I bought the X30 and the Sony has its strengths like a big sensor so its great in low light and the photos are larger so there is scope to crop into photos BUT the big turn off for me was the fact the sony has no viewfinder (it has in the later models) and the macro is not any way near as good as the Fuji which I like to use. Also I understand the Sony is not as nice to use and the menus are bad to use
Pretty much what i found. Technically better quality, but you fight with the camera to get it.

Back