The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

My wife Katie took this yesterday.... its basically straight from camera and resized BUT I did do auto levels fix in photoshop as I had the camera custom settings on Highlight 0 Shadow 0 and colour 0 so it was very flat

Out of onterest what settings do you all use - I think Highlight + 2 shadow -1 seems good for me at the moment

spider.jpg

Thanks John, it was pure luck. I was walking down from a very dull and shaded Cwm Idwal when I noticed the sunlight breaking through a gap in the clouds had illuminated a strip across of the mountain in front of me.

Yup, within minutes it looked completely different.

Thanks John, it was pure luck. I was walking down from a very dull and shaded Cwm Idwal when I noticed the sunlight breaking through a gap in the clouds had illuminated a strip across of the mountain in front of me.

Yup, within minutes it looked completely different.

Yeah thought so that's the beauty of photography right there. Capturing something that is there for a moment and might never be exactly repeated again

Yeah thought so that's the beauty of photography right there. Capturing something that is there for a moment and might never be exactly repeated again

Yes, that's exactly how I see it too. In fact, spontaneous works best for me: I see, I like, I shoot, I move on. The more I think about a shot, the worse it tends to be!
:plus1: Lovely light!
Superb shot :)

Thanks Duncan, appreciated.

Yes, that's exactly how I see it too. In fact, spontaneous works best for me: I see, I like, I shoot, I move on. The more I think about a shot, the worse it tends to be!

Thanks Duncan, appreciated.

Yes exactly right and that is why cameras like the X30 are so good. Easy to just pick up and use with no fuss

Yes exactly right and that is why cameras like the X30 are so good. Easy to just pick up and use with no fuss

Absolutely! No big bag of bits or lens choice distractions, just simplicity itself. The exposure compensation wheel is a godsend too, I use it a lot. Yes, the little X10 is a breath of fresh air - the best £150 I've spent on taking pictures by a long way.

Last edited:
Absolutely! No big bag of bits or lens choice distractions, just simplicity itself. The exposure compensation wheel is a godsend too, I use it a lot. Yes, the little X10 is a breath of fresh air - the best £150 I've spent on taking pictures by a long way.
As I've said before - if I hadn't killed my X10 I'd still be using it.
Compared to the X30, the AF was sometimes a little frustrating; and exposure compensation was slightly more hit-and-miss using the screen on the back (the EVF is lush); and proper blue skies from RAW was occasionally a bit frustrating.
But there is no arguing with the image quality!

FYI - I did quite well at the Hidden Earth photo salon yesterday.
This was the national caving conference, the entry was huge and the standard was stunningly high.
My photos managed to get a Merit, a Distinction and the set of five images got me Best Newcomer.

One of the five images in my set was taken on the X30 and I don't think it was possible to tell from the prints which one is was.
If you look at the B&W prints underneath mine, they are powerful images and got nothing! I'm ridiculously chuffed with one of my prints getting a distinction. :)
20150927-145954-IMAG0101-L.jpg

As I've said before - if I hadn't killed my X10 I'd still be using it.
Compared to the X30, the AF was sometimes a little frustrating; and exposure compensation was slightly more hit-and-miss using the screen on the back (the EVF is lush); and proper blue skies from RAW was occasionally a bit frustrating.
But there is no arguing with the image quality!

I've sold off all my other stuff and now have only the X30 - an absolute gem of a camera!

AL

FYI - I did quite well at the Hidden Earth photo salon yesterday.
This was the national caving conference, the entry was huge and the standard was stunningly high.
My photos managed to get a Merit, a Distinction and the set of five images got me Best Newcomer.

One of the five images in my set was taken on the X30 and I don't think it was possible to tell from the prints which one is was.
If you look at the B&W prints underneath mine, they are powerful images and got nothing! I'm ridiculously chuffed with one of my prints getting a distinction. :)
20150927-145954-IMAG0101-L.jpg
Congratulations Duncan! Having followed your posts on here I'm not surprised :)

Duncan, your awards were well deserved there were quite a few newcomers aswell, i was told about half the entrants were newcomers.

Have you anypics from the weekend ,saturday night :D

Congrat's Duncan, Very well deserved.(y)

George.

Duncan, your awards were well deserved there were quite a few newcomers aswell, i was told about half the entrants were newcomers.

Have you anypics from the weekend ,saturday night :D
Blimey - I thought I'd be the only member of TP at Hidden Earth !!!!!
Unfortunately I peaked WAY too early on Sat. Started drinking when the bar opened at 11am and by 11pm couldn't remain upright so had to retire to my tent.
There a NSFW video been shared on FB of the 'main event' on Sat night, if you can't find it drop me a PM and I'll pass a link.
Next year I'll pace myself to make sure I don't miss out :)

About 5pm on Sat I was sufficiently lubricated to contemplate going through the Shepton squeeze machine/table set to it's almost tightest settings.
I made it, but it took two people sat on the table to keep it still while I thrashed around and I've got some impressive bruising.
But the aim was to see if I have a chance at attempting Priddy Green Sink; it seems I do, but it is borderline and going to hurt a lot when I attempt it.

I was astonished by the standard of the entries - I really didn't think I was going to get anything as Chunky was probably going to win Best Newcomer and most of my images looked distinctly average when put up with the rest.
It will be interesting to see which direction the Dudley mob take. I'm very envious of their team spirit and how they push each other to produce more creative work.
I'm going to have to up my game considerably; but I love a challenge :)

Oh yes - I met and chatted with many of the 'names' I've been following for inspiration (Robbie Shone, Gavin Newman, etc). I'm even more impressed. They are living legends.
The lectures were superb - I've now got a burning desire to head to China, but just about everything I know about cave photography will need re-learning. Ideally I'd like to tag along on an expedition where there is an established photographer that I can play second fiddle to.
It was an amazing weekend and I'm really looking forward to EuroSpelio next year - bigger, better, and a chance to do some caving along with the lectures.
2016 is shaping up to be one of the best years of my life :)

Yeah well done there Dunca no surprise at all really with the quality of your work
Honestly - it was a surprise :)
This Photo Salon represents the very best of the UK's caving images and the judging panel were all FRPS or equivalent.
Just because it is only about caving does nothing to lower the standard.
A Distinction is meant to indicate the image is world class. When seen in the company of this salon most of my images look distinctly mediocre.
Much as I like my images, I really didn't think I was in with a chance of getting a blue ribbon.
I'm well chuffed :)

Next year Hidden Earth gets combined with Euro Spelio; the same sort of event but entries from the whole of Europe.
I've got 12 months to up my game considerably...

At a guess everyone (or at least most people who aren't so far up themselves that they can do their own tonsil exams!) feels the same about their own images - we tend to be our own worst critics! Congrats on the Distinction, look forward to seeing more of your caving shots (I am NOT the right shape for caving and am also mildly claustrophobic, so seeing photos is enough of an experience for me!)

That was a deciously surreal day !
@Piscator Pete who used to post in this thread and still carries his X10 around offered me a spin in his vintage Morgan.
Here's an X30 shot grabbed over the windscreen while descending Cheddar Gorge.
i-fsCm6pV-L.jpg

The unexpected bit was we ended up at an airfield and flew down to Compton Abbas for a late lunch.
WOW !!! That was seriously fun!
Bonus points for being able to work out what aircraft this is from the photo; I think it is just about possible.
i-TDzCxXP-L.jpg

On return I headed over to a private viewing for the 'step in stone' arts trail which I have been the official photographer.
Lots of arts luvvies, which isn't really my thing, but it felt weird with all the artists giving me a warm welcome while the invited guests were giving me some strange looks wondering who invited the strange looking hairy giant.
An amazing day that will stick in my mind for a long time.

Keeping things on topic, the X30 did rather well too!
Pete - I'll bung the images up in a gallery tomorrow AM, these were cherry picked from the set to get something up quickly.

It's been quite a busy week for the little camera and it's really come into its own.

On Thursday evening I attended the 90th birthday party of a dear family friend. I wanted to get some pictures but didn't want to be "that guy with a big camera" so took the strap off the X10 and headed off. During the evening I thought it would be nice if I got shots of each table raising their glasses so I visited each table in turn, explained my idea and quickly took my pictures (just one shot per table with OB flash, about 20-30 seconds with the build-up/explanation). I also took a picture of the dining room before everyone arrived and again with everyone seated, the birthday cake and a portrait of the lady herself.

The best thing is that because the X10 is so small, no-one gave me a second look and my snapping went largely unnoticed. I've sent the pictures to the lady's family and they've gone down very well. :)

Then, on Saturday I went to see my cousin (a professional musician as well as many other things) play a guitar recital at a local village hall. The venue was quite dimly lit and as is usual for these events, the atmosphere was intimate and very, very quiet. I was sat in amongst the audience with a very restricted view and even shifting position in my chair had to be done slowly and carefully so as not to make any sound.

There was no way I could've got a picture with my SLR (too big and the sound of the mirror slap would've probably caused him to break a string!) but with the X10 I managed to grab a couple of shots, one-handed, by holding the camera in between the heads of the people sat in front of me, before replacing the lens cap and enjoying the performance.

I love this little camera more each time I use it.

David Harvey
by Box with a button, on Flickr

(Equivalent focal length set to about 85mm. Settings were shutter priority mode, 1/80th, auto ISO (3200) - camera chose 1000. I knew the ISO would be >400 so I chose 12MP (large) DR400 mode (instead of 6MP (medium) DR400 mode).

Last edited:
A weekend in Snowdonia with a novice group.
They didn't need much leading as a member of the group was on their first mountain ascent, so we mostly stuck to well defined routes and the weather was very kind to us.
X30 was in a pouch on the belt of the rucksack, nice and handy. Light was a bit rubbish, but I can't complain too much :)

The start of the Moel Siabod route is always a treat at this time of year.
Colours will probably be at their best next weekend :)
20151011-091917-DSCF9060-L.jpg

A bit of fun on the Southern Ridge of Moel Siabod
20151011-115641-DSCF9082-L.jpg

Got back a week ago from a 10-day break in Marrakech. Took my Nikon DSLR but also my Fuji X10 to carry around in the souks. From previous experience in Tunisia I found a compact camera was far better for street photography and for being unobtrusive. Often I simply had the Fuji hanging round my neck and pressed the shutter button rather than bringing it up to eye level. A bit hit-and-miss as a technique but quite good for getting candid shots and the X10 was super in the low light in the narrow alleyways. Unfortunately I managed to lose my lens hood at some point but I've ordered a replacement.

I'll post some more pics when I've had a good sort through but here's one to be going on with.

22146059022_c3bfe7a5e5_z.jpg
[/url]Shoes Repaired While You Wait

Got back a week ago from a 10-day break in Marrakech... Often I simply had the Fuji hanging round my neck and pressed the shutter button rather than bringing it up to eye level. A bit hit-and-miss as a technique but quite good for getting candid shots and the X10 was super in the low light in the narrow alleyways...

I tried that technique in Jerusalem; when I got back to the hotel, I discovered that most of the time I'd mistaken the focus beep for the shutter sound, and I had only taken 3 shots instead of dozens. D'oh!

Like the pic, the X10 has handled the brightness range very nicely.

Got back a week ago from a 10-day break in Marrakech. Took my Nikon DSLR but also my Fuji X10 to carry around in the souks. From previous experience in Tunisia I found a compact camera was far better for street photography and for being unobtrusive. Often I simply had the Fuji hanging round my neck and pressed the shutter button rather than bringing it up to eye level. A bit hit-and-miss as a technique but quite good for getting candid shots and the X10 was super in the low light in the narrow alleyways. Unfortunately I managed to lose my lens hood at some point but I've ordered a replacement.

I'll post some more pics when I've had a good sort through but here's one to be going on with.

22146059022_c3bfe7a5e5_z.jpg
[/url]Shoes Repaired While You Wait

Look forward to seeing the rest!! How did you find Marrakesh out of interest for photography? Thinking of going there myself based upon how November goes in Tangier/Casablanca etc. I'm planning on doing street with a 5D Mark III & 50mm lens, would you say that would get alot unwanted attention than would warrant the X10 getting more natural looking shots without everyone looking at you if you get where I'm coming from :D

Look forward to seeing the rest!! How did you find Marrakesh out of interest for photography? Thinking of going there myself based upon how November goes in Tangier/Casablanca etc. I'm planning on doing street with a 5D Mark III & 50mm lens, would you say that would get alot unwanted attention than would warrant the X10 getting more natural looking shots without everyone looking at you if you get where I'm coming from :D

It's a very interesting place. Lots of character and colour.

You'll find that some of the locals are a little averse to having their photos taken and the guys with the dancing apes and the snake charmers in Jemaa el Fnaa square are most certainly against you taking any pictures without payment - and they're pretty aggressive about it. Within the narrow confines of the souks you might find that the angle of view with a 50mm is problematic, although if it's a fast lens that should obviously help in the low light. That's why I took the X10 with its 24mm equivalent at the wide end, although it did struggle in low light.

I deleted a fair number at the end of every day either because they were simply crap or they were out of focus. But you won't get a second glance from everyone with such a little camera. A 5D Mark III on the other hand might prove a bit obvious. I took my rather (long in the tooth) D80 with a 18-200 travel zoom and a 10-20 wide-angle zoom. Used the former a bit (and particularly in the Atlas mountains where i went for a day) but hardly used the wide-angle at all.

So for walking around the souks and for getting street/candid shots - yes take the X10.

Visit Jemaa el Fnaa after dark. It's magical and the place is transformed from what it's like during the day. Go on a Friday after prayers and it's jumping with dancers, storytellers and musicians as well as a multitude of stalls selling delicious food.

22026364758_673c49fc22_z.jpg

22187980506_499a7113b3_z.jpg

22285237432_5cf2f39d84_z.jpg

22300300476_b8f6f9b2ee_z.jpg

Last edited:
you might find that the angle of view with a 50mm is problematic, although if it's a fast lens that should obviously help in the low light. That's why I took the X10 with its 24mm equivalent at the wide end, although it did struggle in low light.

I deleted a fair number at the end of every day either because they were simply crap or they were out of focus. But you won't get a second glance from everyone with such a little camera. A 5D Mark III on the other hand might prove a bit obvious. I took my rather (long in the tooth) D80 with a 18-200 travel zoom and a 10-20 wide-angle zoom. Used the former a bit (and particularly in the Atlas mountains where i went for a day) but hardly used the wide-angle at all.

So for walking around the souks and for getting street/candid shots - yes take the X10.

I have tried getting street scenes with my X10 at 28mm, but I have found it can get a little messy with the composition and my photos look awful. I have tried to isolate a single subject and it seems to work better for me, or at least the photo looks better. I would love to get more street scenes with most of the street in, and look good to the eye.

Reason I tried 28mm, was to keep a faster shutter speed as I take the photo while walking.

Last edited:
I have tried getting street scenes with my X10 at 28mm, but I have found it can get a little messy with the composition and my photos look awful. I have tried to isolate a single subject and it seems to work better for me, or at least the photo looks better. I would love to get more street scenes with most of the street in, and look good to the eye.

Reason I tried 28mm, was to keep a faster shutter speed as I take the photo while walking.

You might like to try Tip number 1 adopted by Zack Arias

Last edited:
So being as I haven't commented on, or posted a little "X" picture for months.

13505-1445360744-25ede9f1716e2b8722aef72f10f22ba9.jpg

13506-1445360745-07e410816348b68ad4c9f6ab04115e9c.jpg

13507-1445360747-1d8299b853f507ad429c4deab6ac8ee9.jpg

Rhodese.

I was walking along Porthmadog high street yesterday and spotted these on the side of the pavement. Luckily I had the X10 in my coat pocket so I took a snap.

The only post processing it's had is a slight exposure and white balance correction and slight tone curve adjusment, in Lightroom. No saturation/clarity/contrast etc adjustments at all.

JPEG mode, Provia, size medium (6mp), DR400, ISO 100, shutter priority mode.

Smile!
by Box with a button, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anyone bought a lightweight tripod specifically for your X*0? Looking for suggestions for something easy to carry about but not too expensive.

Thanks,
AL

Anyone bought a lightweight tripod specifically for your X*0? Looking for suggestions for something easy to carry about but not too expensive.

Thanks,
AL

No but I have a brasher walking pole that doubles as a monopod.

Back