The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

I've had my X30 since the model was released and have no intention of selling it. Perhaps the secret is that I don't use it much....
I do know that I need to have a small camera available even if I don't use it. My photographic history is littered with small film (and a few digital) cameras that rarely got used, were sold then replaced with something else. The X30 is possibly the largest alongside the lovely Konica Hexar but it's the one that I'll probably keep until either it stops working or I can't use it anymore. I have a strong feeling that there won't be anything quite like it in the future.

Last edited:
When out and about, rather than switching the camera on and off, does anyone rely on the auto shut off and then just half press the shutter to wake it up again?

When out and about, rather than switching the camera on and off, does anyone rely on the auto shut off and then just half press the shutter to wake it up again?

I do a mixture of that. I leave it on while that there is a reasonable chance that I will need to use it, but turn it off otherwise.

The Organist at our local church died recently,
and I tried to take some shots at the funeral yesterday The X30 struggles at iso 3200 noise wise.
The church was packed with some 250 turning up. I avoided taking shots that included the family ( except For their backs.).

The camera certainly is discrete. but I would have been better off with one of the APS models.
This Is a composite I have done for the church.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145095214@N03/33874564745/in/album-72157676606174985/

I had my X10 with me on a business trip last week to Sweden and Finland. On Thursday evening after work I decided to grab my camera and go for a wander however the weather was dreadful. Heavy wet snow. So I took a tour of the Stockholm Metro - or Tunnelban.

Lighting was a bit iffy on occasions but the camera seemed to cope well.

Here are a couple to be going on with.

Radhuset by Aimless Alliterations, on Flickr

Under an Underground Rainbow by Aimless Alliterations, on Flickr

The Organist at our local church died recently,
and I tried to take some shots at the funeral yesterday The X30 struggles at iso 3200 noise wise.
The church was packed with some 250 turning up. I avoided taking shots that included the family ( except For their backs.).

The camera certainly is discrete. but I would have been better off with one of the APS models.
This Is a composite I have done for the church.

That's very nice (if nice is the right word considering the circumstances).

Have you considered the X70?

I am considering an XE2 with 18-55 lens if the refurb shop gets one in, as they go for around £415 ( which is less then the cost of the new lens)
I will still use the X30 as my main everywhere camera. and use the XE2 for the occasions when its greater capabilities are necessary.
the X70 is an arms length camera and I could not hold that still ......

The X70 has a tilting rear screen so could be used at waist level for discreet shots. I used to use my old Canon G12 this way and found it great.

The X-E2/27mm would be a good companion to the X30:

X30%20XE2.jpg

Last edited:
Sort of but the X30 goes wider and longer.

Sort of but the X30 goes wider and longer.

Yes and the equivalent to the 28-112 of the x30, would be a big lens even with a max of f2.8 for aps.
The x30 is a fantastic compromise for an everywhere camera.

But that does not mean an aps camera would not be very useful in some situations.

Not instead of - as well as ;)
Aren't you going to have the same problem with the viewfinder on the X-E2 that you did with the X100? I'm left-eyed too and there's a smudge on the screen of my A6300 where my snout gets in the way when I use the viewfinder.

Yes, there will always be the smudge issue, but that isn't the problem.

My problem is the eyepoint measurement - ie how close you need to get to see the whole viewfinder frame. I've never experienced a problem until I tried the X100T. This has an eyepoint measurement of 15mm. Other cameras I've used have longer eyepoints - the X30 17.5mm, Nikon D3300 18mm) etc and I have had no issues at all (except smudges on the LCD screen ;))
So I think my nose is preventing me getting close enough to the viewfinder on the X100T.

The eyepoint on the X-E2 is 23mm so should be no problem at all for me. Incidentally I have had an X-E2S in the past, which I wish I had kept.

AL

My problem is the eyepoint measurement - ie how close you need to get to see the whole viewfinder frame. I've never experienced a problem until I tried the X100T. This has an eyepoint measurement of 15mm. Other cameras I've used have longer eyepoints - the X30 17.5mm, Nikon D3300 18mm) etc and I have had no issues at all (except smudges on the LCD screen ;))
So I think my nose is preventing me getting close enough to the viewfinder on the X100T.

The eyepoint on the X-E2 is 23mm so should be no problem at all for me. Incidentally I have had an X-E2S in the past, which I wish I had kept.

AL
"Eye relief" is the term for that measurement... ;)

AL

I had thought about an EX2s but they seem little different when the XE2 has the latest firmware update.
I was not aware that the XE2 had such a useful eye relief.
Even with glasses on I can cope with the X30.

Last edited:
I've seen it referred to as that, but in camera specs it's always referred to as eye point.

Eyepoint.jpg

Last edited:
That looks useful.

I have a Manfrotto Compact Light which i bought for using with a compact. Just wondering if I can get an adapter for that and use a QR.

Last edited:
That looks useful.

I have a Manfrotto Compact Light which i bought for using with a compact. Just wondering if I can get an adapter for that and use a QR.

One of these would do it...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371782983855?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
it is just a mini arca-swiss style QR. and would take the plate I showed you.
I use a larger QR made by Nodal Ninja /arca style one attached to a Manfrotto 200pl plate for use on my manfotto 055prob with 4way head. (I do not like Ball heads). which is over kill. for the X30 But it isvery steady. Mostly I use a walking pole monopod.

I think I will get one of those to keep in my odds and ends drawer. It would certainly be useful sometime.

Last edited:
I bought one of these QR plates on Ebay. they fit the X30 perfectly and even have a small lip to stop rotation.
They have a very low profile so can be left in place, unless you use a half case. you would hardly notice them at all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322051951995?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Thanks for that tip, Terry. I was using a 25mm plate (same as the one in your second link) on my X30 as it's the same depth as the body but I'd actually got one of those slim ones in the bits box and it is an even better fit, as you said.

Gone already! :(

I looked at the Fuji Refurb site yesterday and they weren't there then. Must've appeared and been sold in quick succession.
They were there when I looked mid day.
They are bound to move quickly at that price.

They were both there about an hour after Chris flagged ther presence. One of them was still there ten minutes later. :D

I bought a used black X30 last week from Camera Jungle - £206 + £5 postage.

Boxed with all accessories. It's in perfect nick too.

Well happy. :)

My poor x10 seems to have contracted sticky aperture blades which explains why I've been so unhappy with recent results. Anything taken using up to f2.8 was fine but it made using the A setting a bit pointless and obviously limited most other things as well. I just bought a canon G5X which I'm happy as a pig with but I can't sell the X10 as it is and am mulling over a service although that will cost almost as much as I could sell it for. It's either that or stick it in the cupboard forever as I can't bear to junk it. It has of course occurred to me that if I get it serviced I might just start to love it again but I'm starting to get a bit of a stock of unused cameras. I just wanted to moan really. Sorry and thanks.

My poor x10 seems to have contracted sticky aperture blades which explains why I've been so unhappy with recent results. Anything taken using up to f2.8 was fine but it made using the A setting a bit pointless and obviously limited most other things as well. I just bought a canon G5X which I'm happy as a pig with but I can't sell the X10 as it is and am mulling over a service although that will cost almost as much as I could sell it for. It's either that or stick it in the cupboard forever as I can't bear to junk it. It has of course occurred to me that if I get it serviced I might just start to love it again but I'm starting to get a bit of a stock of unused cameras. I just wanted to moan really. Sorry and thanks.
Well, maybe attempt a repair yourself? It'd be a bit of fun, with a possibly great outcome....
Worst case scenario, it goes in the trash instead of the cupboard...

Well, maybe attempt a repair yourself? It'd be a bit of fun, with a possibly great outcome....
Worst case scenario, it goes in the trash instead of the cupboard...

I might but I haven't a clue how you would get into it. Maybe I'll do a search.

Last edited:
Back