The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

XE2 ...V...X30.... Also posted on the XE1/2 Thred for fairness sake....

Since adding an XE2 to my existing collection of X10, X20, and X30 Fuji cameras. I have been trying to sum up in my mind why I like the X30 so much more than the XE2.

There is no doubt that the XE2 is capable of far higher technical quality results, and it has far more controllable buttons and features. It is also a fair bit bigger and far heavier when fitted the 18-55.

However though smaller the X30 is easier and nicer to hold, even compared to when a hand grip is fitted to the XE2.

Now I do have a problem that not everyone shares, that is I now have an age related essential/ intention tremor. This means the more I try not to shake, the outcome is the exact opposite. Relaxing helps, but it is not going to go away. Fortunately both cameras have very good anti shake, which helps a great deal. As does the use of a light walking pole/monopod.

Now this throws up one of the built in nonsenses of the XE2, the tripod bush is off centre and very close to the battery and card door. Meaning that you have to remove any plate and clamp to reach them.. On the X30 I can leave a small plate in place, which can instantly click into the Quick release on the small ball head on my monopod. The only choice on the XE2 is to attach a hand grip with built in Arca Swiss type groove. This is again both far heavier and slower to detach. However it does solve the problem of the tripod screw and access, as the grip can be left in place. But by now we are talking, in round terms, of 1Kg as against 2Kg. A considerable difference in size and weight between the two cameras.

Now to the question of Buttons??? I never have a problem of accidentally pressing buttons or moving dials on the X30 But I do miss not having separate AFL and AEL buttons.

On the other hand the row of buttons on the left of the screen on the XE2 are very vulnerable, in fact I usually turn off the bottom left one for this reason. Had they created a small raised ridge down the outside of them, this would not have been a problem.

The placement of the AFL and EFL buttons is not Ideal, and has been far better placed on the XT20.

I am surprised that the Anti-shake slide is very easy move accidentally on the 18-55 lens, to the extent I have thought of fitting some tape over it. Controls on the X30 are fairly instinctive. Though I have never quite mastered the control ring around the lens.

One area where the X30 wins hands down is the provision of an articulated screen, even though it only articulates up and down.

The remaining points that I will cover concern, flash. Evf and write times.

Again on the issue of using flash the X30 wins hands down. Mainly because it has a bladed shutter and therefore no unreasonable shutter speed restrictions Flash simply works. The XE2 has a shutter limit of 1/180 second which in most instances can be stretched to 1/250 second, and also that it has no facility for high speed flash. This is not a massive problem, but it is certainly not the first choice as a flash camera. What I do find more of a problem, is that there seems to be a longer viewfinder black out when using flash with the XE2. Especially when compared to the instant return of vision on the X30.

When comparing the EVF on the two cameras the XE2 give a far greater sense of tunnel vision, though the magnifications differ very little at all, but it might be due to the extend eye relief on the XE2. In many circumstances there is also a noticeably longer blackout on the EX2 both before and after the shutter fires. This is actually very noticeable if anti-red eye is engaged.

The XE”2 also has a far less effective automatic EVF brightness adjustment control, especially in sunny conditions. The X30 viewfinder seems to respond by showing a far clearer and brighter view in these conditions. When inside or in poor light there is far less difference between them. In Sunny conditions I have to turn up the XE2 EVF to full brightness, for it to be usable at all. I never have to adjust the X30 EVF.

Processing time and lags seem to be related to the size of the respective RAW files.

On the XE2, I find myself waiting for several seconds even on a short burst of exposures. This never is the case on the X30.

All in all the X30 Beats the XE2 with 18-55, hands down on everything except ultimate image quality.

But in most circumstance seen on screen or in prints up to A3, it is unlikely any one will notice the difference except at high ISO settings.

Comparing the two lenses is difficult as the X30 lens has a far more difficult job to resolve fine details on such a relatively small sensor. However its generally longer Zoom range and wider apertures are very useful indeed for a fixed lens. It take a great deal of money to better the focal range and available apertures with Fuji interchangeable lenses for the XE2.

As a take everywhere camera theX30 is a winner….

Comparing images on their respective forums, the results for quality, quantity and interest also seem to confirm this.

Very interesting post, @Terrywoodenpic ! As you may know I mostly shoot old mechanical films cameras, but also have a Fuji X10 for those occasions when (for example) autofocus and variable ISO are helpful (new grandkids especially). I keep thinking I really ought to upgrade to a "proper" digital camera, particularly as we're hoping for some "location" holidays soon. With the film background I'm drawn to the Fujis. But whenever I actually look, I find I'm put off by slower lenses, less zoom range, much higher weight and less portability. As you say, I'm probably missing out on ultimate image quality, but I'm finding the IQ on the old X10 pretty good! Maybe I should upgrade... to an X30 for the flippy screen and EVF!

Very interesting post, @Terrywoodenpic ! As you may know I mostly shoot old mechanical films cameras, but also have a Fuji X10 for those occasions when (for example) autofocus and variable ISO are helpful (new grandkids especially). I keep thinking I really ought to upgrade to a "proper" digital camera, particularly as we're hoping for some "location" holidays soon. With the film background I'm drawn to the Fujis. But whenever I actually look, I find I'm put off by slower lenses, less zoom range, much higher weight and less portability. As you say, I'm probably missing out on ultimate image quality, but I'm finding the IQ on the old X10 pretty good! Maybe I should upgrade... to an X30 for the flippy screen and EVF!
Don't forget to include the smaller sensor's crop factor when comparing zoom range.

Don't forget to include the smaller sensor's crop factor when comparing zoom range.

Fuji helpfully quote the EFL (in 35mm film terms) in their compacts' specs. The X30 (and 10+20) have 28-112mm zooms (EFL). https://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/model/x30

Yes, and they have those figures on the zoom barrel too, which is useful (I quite often take the X10 when scouting locations, to help me get field of view ideas for use with my film cameras and lenses). But Fuji only show the actual zoom length on the EXIF data (at least for the X10), which always gets me scratching my head, now what exactly was the crop factor?

Yes, and they have those figures on the zoom barrel too, which is useful (I quite often take the X10 when scouting locations, to help me get field of view ideas for use with my film cameras and lenses). But Fuji only show the actual zoom length on the EXIF data (at least for the X10), which always gets me scratching my head, now what exactly was the crop factor?
That's down to your EXIF viewer. Using the antique Kuso, I get two fields for an X10 image, one FocalLength and the other FocalLength35efl.

Selworthy Green near Minehead

View attachment 108467

Just trying uploading direct instead of PB or Flickr - it seems that I need to re-size to 600px to load successfully - is this the maximum size for direct uploading? It seems a bit small to me :-(

Last edited:
Read this tutorial. You may have too large a file size as the maximum resolution is 1024 pixels.

Well, I re-sized it from 1024 to 800 to 700 and it failed to upload. When I re-sized it to 600, it uploaded. The photo looks fine on tablet and phone but very small on a PC. I'm not sure if this is the best way but at least it avoids the dreaded Photobucket.

BTW your link seems to take me to eBay???

Bugger! I was providing an eBay link for someone else and can't have picked up the tutorial one correctly. Now edited.
Check the file size, not just the number of pixels, as the maximum size is 350KB. You'd have seen this if I'd got the link right......

Well, I re-sized it from 1024 to 800 to 700 and it failed to upload. When I re-sized it to 600, it uploaded. The photo looks fine on tablet and phone but very small on a PC. I'm not sure if this is the best way but at least it avoids the dreaded Photobucket.

BTW your link seems to take me to eBay???

Check the file size as well as the pixel dimensions. IIRC, it's 350kB. Personally, when I'm wanting to post a baby X shot, I resize it in camera to the 640x480 (IIRC) option and they always seem to meet the criteria.

Check the file size as well as the pixel dimensions. IIRC, it's 350kB. Personally, when I'm wanting to post a baby X shot, I resize it in camera to the 640x480 (IIRC) option and they always seem to meet the criteria.

Thanks for the info Nod

View attachment 108675

The Red Lion, Chalton, South Hampshire - one of the benefits of being retired is that you can have a lovely walk in the countryside and a pub lunch at the end of it - all on a Friday.

The X30 is just ideal for taking out and about - small enough to fit in a belt pouch and it still takes a nice piccy

Image cropped and reduced 1/800 at f4, ISO 100

Just back from a week in Marrakech. Took my Nikon D7000 and a couple of lenses (Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and Nikon 35mm f1.8) along with my Fuji X10.

From previous experience on a visit to the city I toyed with taking only the X10. Wish I had now.

The X10 is outstanding for street photography and discreet stuff. As a result it was used 95% of the time. I'll post some shots when I get around to downloading them and sorting them.

I'm still on the lookout for an X30 but they go for silly money on eBay. If I can't get hold of one I'm considering one of the Fuji X-Series interchangeable lens cameras. Something small and with a short fast prime or maybe even the 18-50 f2.8 kit lens.

Just back from a week in Marrakech. Took my Nikon D7000 and a couple of lenses (Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and Nikon 35mm f1.8) along with my Fuji X10.

From previous experience on a visit to the city I toyed with taking only the X10. Wish I had now.

The X10 is outstanding for street photography and discreet stuff. As a result it was used 95% of the time. I'll post some shots when I get around to downloading them and sorting them.

I'm still on the lookout for an X30 but they go for silly money on eBay. If I can't get hold of one I'm considering one of the Fuji X-Series interchangeable lens cameras. Something small and with a short fast prime or maybe even the 18-50 f2.8 kit lens.

x30's still turn up on the refurbished store from time to time but the usually go the same day. so you have to keep tuning in.
I also have an Xe2 which I rarely use as it give me no pleasure. The X30 just begs to be used..... it is the nicest camera I have ever had of what ever size.

x30's still turn up on the refurbished store from time to time but the usually go the same day. so you have to keep tuning in.
I also have an Xe2 which I rarely use as it give me no pleasure. The X30 just begs to be used..... it is the nicest camera I have ever had of what ever size.

I do look at the Fuji Refurb store quite frequently but I've never managed to be there at the right time. :(

I have been looking at the X-E2S as an alternative. What is it about it that leaves you cold then Terry?

I do look at the Fuji Refurb store quite frequently but I've never managed to be there at the right time. :(

I have been looking at the X-E2S as an alternative. What is it about it that leaves you cold then Terry?

I like the quality the Xe2 produces and the 18-55 lens is outstanding.
As my shakey hands need me to use a light walking pole as a monopod for many of my shots, and I like to do hand held pans. The badly positioned tripod screw is a disaster,
On the X30 I can leave a quick release plate in situe and still change the battery with out having to remove it first. I do have a grip come L plate/ Swiss type mount for the XE2. But it is not that much better to actually hold.
As to the holding and controlls, the Buttons on the left edge of the screen make holding the camera difficult, with out pressing them accidentally, especially the bottom one which I now mostly turn off. The AFL and EFL buttons are located on the edge of the right thumb grip in such a way that I find them difficult to use. ( and I like to use them a lot.)

The EVF is nowhere near as nice to use as on the X30, as it has a rather tunnel vision look, it also is pretty awful in bright sunlight as it does not adjust to brightness conditions nearly as well as the X30. ( which is also true of the main screen).
It also falls down in using flash as it has a max guaranteed sync shutter speed of only 1/180, where as the x30 leaf shutter is not limited. You also suffer a far longer blackout after firing the shutter, especially with flash. On the x30 it is more or less instant, like on the x10 and 20.
In terms of weight wit lens and hand grip it is almost exactly twice that of the X30, and far bulkier
I also find the tilt screen on the X30 very useful and find my self using it quite a lot. So I miss it on the Xe2.

All in all I find the eperience of using the X30 far better than the XE2 and in most cases the difference in ultimate quality is negligible.
There is also a difference of build quality as the X30 is a magnesium casting, where as the Xe2 is plastic and alloy.
With the front half of the base plate alloy and the back half plastic. With the tripod bush mounted through both, in such a way as the plasic sometimes splits. If it does so, it is an uneconomic repair. ( not covered by guarantee) so using it as a sling attachment is not a good idea.

Had I known all this before I bought mine, I would not have bothered.

However I would buy another X30 if I needed to replace mine. I would certainly be happy to pay up to £300 + for a nice example, which is a good deal more than a refurbished one.

Last edited:
And a street in Marrakech's Medina. Not SOOC as the contrast between shadow and sunlight was rather extreme and I ran this through Lightroom to rescue some of the shadow detail.

Shaded Street by Aimless Alliterations, on Flickr

Nice...
It is easy to forget how good the X10 actually is. The viewfinders are always "off" to some degree, but like old rangefinder cameras, you soon learn to aim off a bit to compensate. ( helped by the 85% view)
The EXR sensor produced wonderful Jpegs. though raws could be difficult to process, However this was updated to the Xtrans on the X20 and X30 cameras.... By the time the X30 came along it became a really mature camera, that would be difficult to improve with out a major rethink. At that point Fuji walked away from the entire range... more the pity.

Nice...
It is easy to forget how good the X10 actually is. The viewfinders are always "off" to some degree, but like old rangefinder cameras, you soon learn to aim off a bit to compensate. ( helped by the 85% view)
The EXR sensor produced wonderful Jpegs. though raws could be difficult to process, However this was updated to the Xtrans on the X20 and X30 cameras.... By the time the X30 came along it became a really mature camera, that would be difficult to improve with out a major rethink. At that point Fuji walked away from the entire range... more the pity.

I do not use the viewfinder on my X10, there is no information displayed. So it is difficult to know what it is focusing on, or what your shutter speed is.

I do not use the viewfinder on my X10, there is no information displayed. So it is difficult to know what it is focusing on, or what your shutter speed is.

The X20 was better in that regard but the x30 cracked it. But I used the viewfinder on all three. I was brought up with cameras with basic viewfinders. so lack of information was normal for me.

Saddleworth has started Well Dressing for the first time, so I added it to my town shots.
Perhaps not the best I have seen but not bad for a first attempt.

TA3X4946Xweb by Terry Andrews, on Flickr

Just about to take my X10 out with me. Bah, got two batteries and both need charging. :mad:

Best to get into the routine to recharge as soon as you get back from a shoot, leaving it till later is fatal.
Got a D3300 with two batteries that also both need charging, my little canon compact battery also out of juice. Even my phone needs charging. :mad: Something very rare for me, having everything run down like that. I must have something on my mind. :thinking:

Back