The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

I keep thinking of buying a "better" digital camera, like a XT-1 etc, then changing my mind when I remember that I have film cameras for full manual control, legacy glass and a fresh sensor every frame, and that the X10 continues to meet my digital camera needs. I had no great expectations of these shots, but once I realised I could pan with a face and get it in focus and everything else blurred, I was happy... and quite amazed with how well some of the shots came out.

I keep thinking of buying a "better" digital camera, like a XT-1 etc, then changing my mind when I remember that I have film cameras for full manual control, legacy glass and a fresh sensor every frame, and that the X10 continues to meet my digital camera needs. I had no great expectations of these shots, but once I realised I could pan with a face and get it in focus and everything else blurred, I was happy... and quite amazed with how well some of the shots came out.
I use the Nikon D3300 a Compact Canon and of course the X10. I like the fuji for the controls and of course the images. I do have an old film camera, but not sure when I will use that again.

Grabbed my old (fairly early example) XF-1 last evening for a grab shot of the cat being cute (don't worry, I'm not going to post it!) and was happy to see that it's still working fine.

Grabbed my old (fairly early example) XF-1 last evening for a grab shot of the cat being cute (don't worry, I'm not going to post it!) and was happy to see that it's still working fine.
Great that yours is still working fine. :)

Put my X10 battery on charge this morning, it has been on about an hour. The charging light has gone out, but I noticed it is making a high pitched noise. It is not very loud, just enough to make me search for the noise. I can't recall hearing that noise before, but the room is very quiet at the moment.

Bit of a worry... better take it out for a walk and check it's OK. :)

Bit of a worry... better take it out for a walk and check it's OK. :)
I would have thought once light goes out power is shut off from battery, maybe not. I will keep an eye on things, and won't leave it unattended while charging.

Put my X10 battery on charge this morning, it has been on about an hour. The charging light has gone out, but I noticed it is making a high pitched noise. It is not very loud, just enough to make me search for the noise. I can't recall hearing that noise before, but the room is very quiet at the moment.
It’s not very clear if it was still in the charger when you heard the noise. If it was it could presumably be the charger making a noise.

It’s not very clear if it was still in the charger when you heard the noise. If it was it could presumably be the charger making a noise.
Been testing things out, and it seems to be coming from the charger itself. When charging light is on, there is no noise. But when fully charged it starts making the high pitched whining noise. I tried it with charger on without battery in, and it makes the noise. Just read the owners manual, and I could not find anything there.

Oh well, I will just keep an eye on things when it is on charge.

Seems a lot more likely to me, as layman, that a charger might hum - I’d have a small bet that they all do if you use a stethoscope ;-) doesn’t ac current cause tiny vibrations that can loosen screws?

I find I'm sensitive to high pitched things like that... My phone charger drives me nuts at night, and I can tell when I have a notification because the whine starts fluctuating with the little led....

I can also tell if a TV is on in the house, even if it's on mute....

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Charge circuits often hum/whine while they regulate current. So long as nothing is getting overly hot, it's probably fine.

Seems a lot more likely to me, as layman, that a charger might hum - I’d have a small bet that they all do if you use a stethoscope ;-) doesn’t ac current cause tiny vibrations that can loosen screws?
I didn't need a stethoscope to hear mine, I was literally the other side of the room and I could hear it. But yes, you could be right. :)

I find I'm sensitive to high pitched things like that... My phone charger drives me nuts at night, and I can tell when I have a notification because the whine starts fluctuating with the little led....

I can also tell if a TV is on in the house, even if it's on mute....

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Charge circuits often hum/whine while they regulate current. So long as nothing is getting overly hot, it's probably fine.
Same here, I too am sensitive to noise. Come to think of it, I am very sensitive to most things.

Oh well, seems it is nothing dangerous after all then. :)

It could be something called 'coil whine' that affects some graphics cards. There has to be a small transformer in there to change the voltage from 240V to <battery voltage> and it's probably this that's whining. I doubt it's anything to worry about.

Does anybody visit this section anymore?

Just wanted to ask a couple of questions on the X10. I normally have the image size set to L 4:3 but I have just tried L 3:2 and L 16:9. The 16:9 gets in closer to the subject, so is this simply cropping? I was just thinking of trying this setting, or does that setting degrade the image a little? Also, how would that work with RAW?

Last edited:
3;2 and 16:9 simply crop the Jpg image to suit. No effect on image quality other then the loss of some pixels to the crop. 4:3 uses the full sensor area and RAW files are also full sensor, not cropped.

19658-1519199342-8962400ccd97c15bea5f2bf2e3f8545b.jpg

Still faithfully using my X10, but the rubber thumb grip has come off. It was only glued on, a very easy fix. Now, where is that UHU? :)

19658-1519199342-8962400ccd97c15bea5f2bf2e3f8545b.jpg

Still faithfully using my X10, but the rubber thumb grip has come off. It was only glued on, a very easy fix. Now, where is that UHU? :)

Not happened to mine.... but such glue always fails in the end.
They can't use permanent glue in case they need to take it off again to service the camera without damaging it.

Must be a fuji thing, same happened to my x-t10...
Not happened to mine.... but such glue always fails in the end.
They can't use permanent glue in case they need to take it off again to service the camera without damaging it.

I have cleaned all traces of old glue off, and I am now applying a fresh layer. Hopefully, it will last another few years.

I have an early one too. Not used for over a year but took it out last week and it was still working perfectly.
Nice little camera, still....

I have an early one too. Not used for over a year but took it out last week and it was still working perfectly.
Nice little camera, still....
I use mine pretty regular, probably take it out later today. Fun camera to use. :)

The only problem with it (for me) is that I can only use it if I'm wearing my bi-focals!

Hadn’t taken my X30 out for a while either, so last week I decided to give it an airing.
I usually use a full frame Nikon, but I’m never disappointed in the quality of this little gem
Here’s one I took of our village a few days ago.
Just a quick snap really while the sun made a fleeting appearance

Quality isn’t as good as the original, had to download it to my iPad then over to my phone and atttached as a much smaller file.

47893C53-D1E3-4D6C-9D3B-F783C8A58AB2.jpeg

Last edited:
The newly glued thumb grip has been left over night, just checked it this morning. Looks fine, good as new.
Or maybe not! Thumb grip fell off, first use this morning. Never mind, works just as well without it. :)

Oops! What glue did you use? When the rubber grip came unglued on a camera I had, I used Bostik ( or Evo stick) contact adhesive. Stayed put for years.

Oops! What glue did you use? When the rubber grip came unglued on a camera I had, I used Bostik ( or Evo stick) contact adhesive. Stayed put for years.
I used UHU, maybe it was old. But never mind, I took the X10 out this morning without the thumb grip. I got used to it not being there, I still had a good grip. I think I can get used to no thumb grip, it is pretty grippy anyway. :)

Plus, I have long fingers and thumbs. My thumb rest on the top, near the exposure comp dial, and not on the rest anyway. So, I don't think I will really miss it.

Last edited:
I wonder if it is worth giving this thread, a little revival?

On my little X10, I have been using face detect focus for self portraits. Setting camera Face Detection on, and setting camera shutter to self timer. As count down timer is counting down, focus locks onto my face pretty accurately. Can't believe I used to lock focus on a tree, then run and stand as close to that tree as I could. :)

I didn’t know that when I had my X10, i guess my X30 has the same feature!

I didn’t know that when I had my X10, i guess my X30 has the same feature!

I would have thought so...

I only just discovered I could do this. As I used stick the X10 on a tripod, then lock focus on the missus. I would set the timer, then run and sit besides her. But now I use Face Detection, set the timer and sit besides the missus. The face detection tracks both of our faces. It tracks our faces, even when timer is counting down. This function seems to nail focus pretty good, much better than me guessing. :)

I use that face detect a lot on my X10 with pics of the grandkids. Works very well most of the time. IIRC there's another feature with a confusingly similar name in the menus, face recognition maybe?

I use that face detect a lot on my X10 with pics of the grandkids. Works very well most of the time. IIRC there's another feature with a confusingly similar name in the menus, face recognition maybe?

Yes, it is face recognition. I did try that one also, but I could not get it to work. I think the idea is simply to get the camera to remember people, who you photograph on a regular basis. It may name the file after the person's name, or maybe in a folder named after them. Unsure really, not really explored it further.

Back